Start by marking “Delhi Noir” as Want to Read:
Delhi Noir

Delhi Noir

3.12  ·  Rating details ·  249 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews

Delhi Noir has no lack of true-to-life characters getting twisted, mangled and discarded. Which is why, like the proverbial train wreck, even as you cringe, you won t be able to look away. San Francisco Chronicle
This book is a chance to get a fix on some of India s best crime writers, most of whom are totally unknown in North America. Like the rest of this superb series
Published August 1st 2009 by Akashic Books

To ask other readers questions about Delhi Noir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Delhi Noir

Nancy
Posted at Shelf Inflicted

Once again, I have sought out another book from the Akashic series of short stories that takes place in a variety of cities around the world. I am still in the mood for dark, short stories, so Delhi Noir was the perfect choice.

I have never been to India, and based on this collection of stories, I'm not sure if I want to go. It is chaotic, crowded, loud, corrupt, poor and dirty. There is also amazing architecture, natural beauty and good food, even the cheap stuff you get
Sandra
May 06, 2016 marked it as to-read
Free through May 9th
here at Akashic Books
विकास   नैनवाल
A collection of noir stories based on the city of Delhi. Some stories were good and some were okay but over all i liked the collection. Although sometimes all the cynicism in the stories is depressing and i think it's because we have come across such stories in our life.
The collection had the following stories :

Yesterday Man by Omair Ahmad(Ashram) 3.5/5

How i lost my clothes by Radhika Jha(lodhi gardens) 2.5/5

Last In first out by Irwin allan seally( Delhi ridge)3.5/5

Parking by Ruchir Joshi(Nizam
Aastha
Dec 14, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure if the 2 stars is an accurate representation of my thoughts on this book. More than NOT liking it, I felt it was mostly mediocre at all times. I liked the concept of the book more than the book itself. It's nice to read about the reality of Delhi that the average everyday man in the city experiences everyday, a reality that I, as a middle-class Indian, could never experience (though I was aware of its existence).

Some of the stories stood out, especially the one by Omair Ahmad (abou
Tim
Oct 03, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is a collection of well-written short stories by different authors—apparently in an "x Noir" series, where, in this case, x = Delhi, India. Like A Not So Perfect Crime (Barcelona) and books by authors such as Henning Mankell, this gives us a window into life in another place as seen though the lens of crime.

These are quite dark (appropriate for a Noirish series) stories; they are not, however, truly mysteries. They are more crime stories, or, more frequently, police corruption stories.

And
Amit Gupta
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delhi Noir is a world of sex in parks, dirty cops, and vigilante rickshaw drivers. It is one plagued by soulless corporate dons, jaded journalists and murderous servants. These are 14 tales of darkness and despair, each one set in the distinct part of the city, a metropolis where opulence and poverty are constantly clashing, where old-world values and the information age wage a constant battle. It uses the device of crime fiction and film noir to provide riveting, incisive perspectives on this e ...more
Ravi
Oct 02, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a disappointing read - the authors lack imagination and writing is trite and cliched. Some authors use cheap and disgusting expressions, some were ridiculous (name of the narrator is Baba Ganoush...really?), some implausible (a character walks from Noida to Lodi road at night in an hour or so). All authors used same sad and trite expressions you grow sick hearing.

I don't understand why knowledge of the city is important. If the writing is not good, who cares if you know streets of Timbak
Daya4goal
Sep 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
not so much good book.
Ramakant
Jan 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: india-fiction
What could a book of crime stories set in Delhi possibly contain that we already not know? Indian viewers are constantly fed a heavy diet of crime stories either as news or in a serialised format. Both versions come with background soundtracks so that our minds surface from the boredom just to know who exactly to hate. The media feeds on our frenzy of unknown people and unknown places committing heinous crimes. Crimes of passion, bigotry and greed neatly packaged making us flies on the wall (or ...more
Samir Dhond
I picked up this book because it detailed things and situations in the city as experienced or imagined to have experienced by various writers. Some of them, I had heard about and some I did not know from adam. The book is just passe. I mean, nothing to talk about greatly. In fact, at times, it seems like stuff written to titilate the reader. There are couple of good stories there that I liked. These stories touched upon human emotions and attempted to articulate them in words. These two stories ...more
Shahd Fadlalmoula
It has been a while since I indulged in a mystery/thriller book, and in comparison to most this isn't a particularly strong book. However it was well worth the read! Some of the short stories were gripping, my favorite was "How I Lost My Clothes". The authors do a great job of bringing Delhi to life, and they do an even better job of tackling some big issues including corruption, poverty, and the rape culture in India. However, the dark themes got too dark at times, with a lack of balance (but i ...more
Ashley
Aug 20, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was in the mood for something dark and this fit the bill quite nicely. I have been on a recent short story kick, because it is an efficient way to consume a complete narrative when your attention span is not at it's strongest. As with many collections from various writers, some of these are going to stick with me, others were not so remarkable. I would recommend this book to anyone looking to get insight into contemporary culture in another part of the world. Contrary to my own association wit ...more
Aditi
Shudder-worthy. This book really scared the shit out of me, because the stories really reflect the dark underbelly of everyday life in Delhi. Violence emerges as a strong and inescapable force, and the marginalised status of women is really horrifying to observe through all the stories; women lose or are victims in all the stories but one. Hissing Cobras - the exception worked really well as a noir story, the rest seemed too realistic to be fiction!

The other really good one was Hostel by Siddha
Richard
I don't know how much I would have enjoyed this book without having spent time in Delhi, and gotten used to the general feeling of India. To paraphrase the Naked City, "There are 17 million stories in Delhi, these are just a few of them." Delhi is a city of rampant corruption, and crime with a cultural tinge of which westerners don't necessarily have a lot of experience. If you've traveled the byways of old Delhi, or the Defense Colony, or Nizzamudin these stories will bring them back. If not, w ...more
Allison
Nov 03, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: india
First of all: it is sort of strange to be reading noir-style stories set in a city where police brutality and bribery and all the rest is a very real occurrence. Part of the reason I love noir (books and films) is because the characters and plots have a degree of implausibility. . . I escape into this grimy other world. But the noir-world is the real world in Delhi (to some extent) which makes it kind of. . . depressing.

As for the pieces themselves, they're either hit or miss. The best one (and
Rakesh
Dec 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was not expecting to like this as much as I am liking it... I started out a little miffed that they included only one story translated from Hindi, which seems very wrong for Delhi. But there is some awesome stuff in it. My favorites are the story from Hindi, by Uday Prakash, and the Nalinaksha Bhattacharya and Siddharth Chowdhury stories. Pretty darn gritty, but for god's sake Indian English writing needs some grit. Not every story is five-star but there's enough great ones to make it a five-s ...more
Ranjini Iyer
I expected very edgy stories. Although I cannot complain about the style of the writers chosen, most of the stories left me wondering what had happened. I felt like I had seen a few scenes from a film and left to make my own conclusions. Perhaps that is as intended. perhaps that is what short stories do on a certain level. But I like my stories to have middles and a sort of end. Not all ends securely tied but at least something.

Baklavahalva
May 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection is a mixed bag, but some of the stories are outstanding. Corrupt politicians, abusive policemen, exploited villagers trying to make it in the city, horny aunties, even some sci-fi dystopia -- it's all there. I especially enjoyed Irwin Allen Sealy's, Ruchir Joshi's, and Manjula Padmanabhan's narratives. There was only one story translated from Hindi, the other thirteen were originally written in English.
Jeffrey Ogden Thomas
Dec 09, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: India hands
Recommended to Jeffrey by: librarian
Short stories are by their nature somewhat unsatisfying -- just when the character and plot and setting grab your interest, the story wraps up. But Delhi Noir is a worthy item in the Akashic Noir sequence: these stories have great local colour, filled with throwaway details like street names and slang and references to Delhi-specific social issues.
Margot Bigg
I enjoyed much of this book, but I'm not sure how engaging of a read it would be to someone who didn't know Delhi well. It wasn't my favourite collection in the Noir series--many of the stories contrivedly macabre, some seemed written to shock rather than to engage. A few were insufferable, some were mildly interesting, and a couple were quite funny. Allan Sealey's piece was excellent.
Meredith
This is the first of the Noir series I've read but I'd definitely read more. They have editions set all over the world, even Queens! This particular book ws entertaining and I tore through it, but it wasn't life changing.
Subha
Apr 16, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This one was a wild shot. I personally dont like reading crime. Not my genre at all, but after reading certain reviews, I thought of giving it a shot. But, its not to my taste. But people who like reading crime can give this book a shot.
Ayushman Khazanchi
Particularly enjoyed about six stories. Plots had a tendency to go from confusing to overly-simplified, though some were pretty realistic. Nonetheless, the narrative was fresh and the writing superb (in some cases). Recommended light read.
Sundarraj Kaushik
Not a very good book. As the name states it is about the darker side of Delhi. It is about corruption, exploitation that goes on in the different parts of the capital of India.

It is OK to read once, but you will not miss anything if you do not read it.
Bertport
A breezy collection of short stories set in Delhi - mostly crime fiction, some pretty sleazy - one so sleazy I skipped it after reading the first couple pages - and finally a science fiction piece. All in all, worthwhile for me for the local color.
Peter
Mar 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A true testament to the beastly animals humans are -- and how lyrical we can wax when we behold such craven natures.
Sanchita
A real, gritty take on Delhi and the people living in the city, this book has elements of callousness, generosity and outright nastiness. A good compilation of stories.
Siddarth Raman
Sep 18, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Could NOT read. Read some 20% through the book. The writing is very poor, the stories lacklustre.
Shayontoni Chatterjee
These are good stories that are not written well. The only reason why you'd want to read on, would be, because of the theme of the stories.
Jmolentin
Very new material and writers, makes you want to read more
  • Istanbul Noir