Start by marking “Dialogues of Plato” as Want to Read:
Dialogues of Plato

Dialogues of Plato

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  650 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
ENDURING LITERATURE ILLUMINATED BY PRACTICAL SCHOLARSHIP
In these influential dialogues--Euthyphro, Apology, Crito, Meno, Phaedo, Symposium--Plato employs the dialectic method to examine the trial and death of his mentor, Socrates, and address the eternal questions of human existence.
THIS ENRICHED CLASSIC EDITION INCLUDES:
- A concise introduction that gives the reader im
Published December 21st 2010 by Simon Schuster (first published January 1st -380)

To ask other readers questions about Dialogues of Plato, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dialogues of Plato

Mark
Aug 14, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: other
Socrates says "The unexamined life is not worth living." Yet this book actually shows that an examined dialogue is not worth believing. The general format of the Socratic dialogues is:
Socrates: Incorrect fact #1.
Friend: Obviously, Socrates.
Socrates: Correct fact #2.
Friend: Of course, Socrates.
Socrates: 1 + 2 = 3. And a half.
Friend: You are so wise Socrates.

Since the arguments are so blatantly made up, it is hard to give any credence to the conclusions. Which is a shame because he espouses
R de la Lanza
Escribí el prólogo de esta edición.
JP
May 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Contains Apology, Crito, Phaedo, Protagoras, Meno, Symposium, and Gorgias. In general, these are considered the primary component of Plato's early works, in which he expounds that learned from his teacher Socrates. The arguments seem somewhat simplistic by today's standards, but the style and logic clearly represent the timeless fame rendered to Socrates. In Apology, Socrates willingly accepts indictment and makes his argument. True to his spirit, he makes adequate defense against both classes o ...more
Rae
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have always been interested in philosophy...took a few classes in college and did a little of my own research just because it peaks my interest but I am by no means an expert whatsoever. That being said I feel slightly incapable of writing a review on such an "epic" book if you will. My reading comprehension skills are not top notch, but decent. For me this book was sometimes easy to understand and sometimes very difficult. During the difficult parts I would google cliff's notes so I could try ...more
Shane
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Difficult to get through at points, but a good reminder that not much has changed in terms if human society. Also interesting that some of the themes of myths told by socrates are being verified by science today.
Hoonie
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will read you next time again
the begin The book was interesting, but again and again, It takes much time to read this book, Sorry Plato
ROHIT RAWAT
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Teaches you [how] to question day to day life events. I would recommend this to every philosophy reader.
Mike
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned
These dialogues are the foundation of Western thought: justice, virtue, sex, death, wisdom, folly….it’s all here. Plato’s Socrates is clever and confounding, ingenious and insufferable. Sometimes, he is sarcastic and smarmy to the point where you can’t stand him. At other times, he sounds as lacking in wisdom as he pretends to be. But then he will turn around and offer a startling perspective that will make you admire him. Although familiar with the content of many of these dialogues, I’m glad I ...more
Gerald Jerome
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a decent compilation and intro to some of Plato's dialogues, though The Republic has been reduced to some of its truncated and finer points. One may not always agree with its conclusions, but the most important thing is that the question was raised. The Socratic method is certainly a worthwhile tool for educating one's self as well as cultivating understanding in others. Even so, as evidenced in these dialogues, it can be easily misapplied (assuming that an objective truth is the goal an ...more
Mark Pool
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
When I was a senior in high school, I took a course called World Literature. Some of the books I read in that class were some of the best books I’ve ever read in my life. Here we read some of Plato's famous dialogues. The most memorable is where Socrates drinks hemlock because he talks too much.
Chuma
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
It helps the reader on his journey to find the truth to things
Gopan
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Simply amazing !!! Reconfirmed how knowledgeable the Greek folks were at those olden times ..
Sowmya
Dec 12, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It seems the ‘Dialogues of Plato’, is one of the few official accounts of Socrates’ philosophies.
Socrates obviously had no paucity of brains. His peers in Athens knew that well and most revered him and sought his valuable thoughts, bought his arguments and honoured him as an elite philosopher. Yet, the mighty prevailed.
Reading this book, made me realize how some things never change. Might is right and if you are no Socrates, your principles somehow evolve to mirror those of the ‘mighty’ or the
Benn Peek
Oct 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've finished Apology, a dialogue entitled Ion, Phaedro, the subsequnce of the Apology, adn have now finished Book I of Plato's Republic (which still plays into the dialogues, and is not a novel of its own). Socrates has a Christ like demeanor, and to me eerily resembles the Christian messiah, although this may be the work of the interpretor. Main points in the dialogues raise a candle to not only statements in philosophies, but can summarize entire theologies in the process.

The conflicts in Th
Rebecca
Does it count if I have been reading it for a decade or more? It puts me to sleep (perhaps because I read it before bed), and I disagree with Socrates' conclusions on almost everything. It is sometimes funny.

Socrates makes blanket statements about humanity, and consistently convinces his straight man that he is correct, but it seems like sophistry. His generalizations are ideals but not actually true. Whomever he is talking with usually makes generalizations that are not true, either, but he (no
Craig Williams
Oct 18, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Good god, how I hated this book. A coworker saw me reading this, and was absolutely flabbergasted I was reading it "recreationally". She gave me a high five for my effort, and now I know why: this book is a fucking bear to read. While it was interesting to read how enlightened the Greek civilization was, and some of the political and social ideas of the time, it was also very, very boring. My eyes would glaze over with each page, and my brain would shut down. Socrates was, no doubt, a master of ...more
Monica
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No me cabe la menor duda de que Sócrates era un hombre sabio y muy adelantado para su época y su muerte fue una terrible injusticia, una verdadera lástima ya que hubiera podido aportar aún más.

Yo creo que Sócrates estaba consciente de que era un hombre que poseía cierto saber, pero era humilde, nunca se conformaba con lo que tenía porque veía que le faltaba muchísimo por dominar y deseaba que todos los hombres tuviesen la misma aspiración.

Algo que me pareció infinitamente hermoso es que él apren
Radit Panjapiyakul
May 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The cleverness of Plato shines through in his writing and his way of proving things. This does not mean that he's always right. His reasonings can be pointed out with many flaws and are not very scientific. Plato argues that there's immortality of the soul (though he should first question if there's such thing as a soul or not). There are lots of talking about gods and the doing of gods. But from the viewpoint of an ancient greek, this could be forgiven.

Many of his ideas are presented here such
Germà
Feb 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probablement el segon millor llibre de tots els que he llegit (que són pocs). Aquesta edició de la magnífica col·lecció de divulgació "Sepan cuantos" de l'editorial Porrua de Mèxic compta amb un excel·lent estudi preliminar de Francisco Larroyo, ideal per als que s'apropen a Plató per primer cop.
---------------------
Maybe the second.best book I ever read (only a few, I'm afraid). This edition from the great "Sepan cuantos" collection from Mexican Editorial Porrua counts with an excellent prelim
Majormarmot
Apr 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone 12+/Mayores de 12
Recommended to Majormarmot by: A friend/Un amigo
En la que es posiblemente la madre de todas las obras filosóficas occidentales, Platón nos muestra en entretenidos diálogos la ideología de su maestro Sócrates, junto con su propia visión del mundo.

Los diálogos permiten apreciar las legendarias discusiones…dije discusiones…debí decir, humillaciones, de Sócrates sobre los sofistas, lo que le da cierta acción a una obra que por lo contrario sería bastante tediosa y cansada.

El objetivo del autor es mostrar al lector una serie de dilemas morales y f
James
Mar 20, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lame bargain basement book. Save your dollar.

Tired of Socrates going around meddling in everyone's business. It's actually kind of fun watching him generate a long list of frienemies throughout the city. If he were around today he'd get a dinger in the left eye every time he approached someone to quiz them. Put a sock in a already. Luckily, science has come a long way and much of what was unknown to Plato/Socrates is known today.

Sure, you can put yourself in the context of the times and give th
Ian
Oct 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 12th-grade-books
The Dialogues of Plato is a collection of some of the famous philosophical ideals of ancient Greek philosopher Plato. The book caught my eye because I went to ancient Greece this summer, and I thought the book would have have some references to ancient Greek culture. It turned out that the amount of references to ancient Greek culture in the book were minimal, the book spoke mainly of ideas as to how to live your life. The book is a pretty challenging read, it made me think hard of how I live my ...more
Melanie
Nov 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I only read Symposium. But I did find it comfortable to read which really surprised me for I thought that I would struggle getting through it a bit more. I am planning to read a analyzation on it next. I figure there is a lot I missed in the reading as I didn't analyze everything as I went through it. One thing that I found really kinda cool was how much like a bunch of collage students these guys were drinking, thinking, sexing. I wonder how old they all were. And is that free flow of ideas the ...more
Thomas
Nov 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised to learn that Erich Segal was a classics professor. (At Harvard, no less.) Segal's intro is good, but the GR description of this book is wrong -- it's not the Jowett translation throughout. In fact, only Apology and Meno are Jowett; I picked this up to read Seth Benardete's translation of Symposium, and one of my other favorite translators, R.E. Allen, contributed his translation of Euthyphro. I finished those and am working my way through Protagoras. It's a nice selection of dia ...more
Martin
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Plato's work is brilliant! Socrates was the greatest philosopher of all time, and reading about his wisdom and virtue is absolutely moving. Socrates is such an inspiration to the world, and this book should be required reading for all human beings to teach them how to be truly good people. Socrates is my role model, and this book is absolutely wonderful in showing the incredible wisdom of this divine man.
George Slade
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I gave this five stars because I really enjoy hearing the mind bending thoughts of classical philosophers. I do not necessarily support every conclusion, but I cannot argue against the strength of the logic put on display in these discussions.

The toughest part for me, as an atheist, is going along with the immortality of the soul and the logic supporting such a thing. Besides this obvious conflict in points of view, seeing how Socrates rationalized and deduced was masterful.
Rob
Aug 11, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must-read for philosophers and theologians alike. The Bantam Classic edition is handy for on-the-go reading, but not so great for deep study, since it includes only some of the Dialogues, translated by various people (including Jowett). Bantam's format leaves out the Stephanus number system that the better, more scholastic editions of the Dialogues include. (Stephanus numbers coordinate the English text with specific lines in the authoritative Greek text.)
Güis Guerrero-Enterría
Sin el no se puede empezar, pero siempre hay que leerlo sabiendo cuando se escribió. Todas las preguntas estan ahí, nuestras preguntas, las dudas, las sospechas. Parece un índice general de la filosofía (no el único índice)(derrida decía que hacer filosofía era mandar postales, cartas de amor, a Platón). Las reflexiones no pierden su brillo. Se le puede leer de una manera o de otra. Las revisiones en clave política nos pueden llevar a lugares oscuros que desgraciadamente conocemos muy bien.
Pau
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"El hombre de bien tan pronto es malo, tan pronto bueno"
...Pero el malo jamás llega al caso de hacerse malo, porque lo es siempre. Sólo al hombre hábil, al bueno, al sabio, es a quien puede sucederle el hacerse malo, cuando le sobreviene una terrible calamidad y es humanamente imposible que suceda de otra manera. Tú, Pitaco dices: "que es difícil ser bueno"; di más bien "que es difícil devenir bueno", si bien está en lo posible; pero persistir en este estado, esto sí es cosa imposible...
Daniel Guzman
Jan 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Impresionante obra, en especial : "Apologia de Socrates" la mayeutica en todo su esplendor, referencia obligatoria para quien se quiera ilustrar en el arte de la argumentación. A pesar de su antigüedad y algunas concepciones desafortunadas muestra el esplendor de las mentes clasicas en Grecia. Hace ya casi dos décadas que lo aborde por primera vez por cuestiones académicas pero solo hoy comprendo la riqueza de tan bella obra.
The Unexamined Life 3 4 Dec 20, 2015 12:43PM
  • The Philosophy of Aristotle
  • The Rise of the Greeks
  • Socrates to Sartre and Beyond: A History of Philosophy with Free Philosophy Powerweb
  • On Law, Morality, and Politics
  • Greek Tragedies Vol. 3: Aeschylus: The Eumenides; Sophocles: Philoctetes, Oedipus at Colonus; Euripides: The Bacchae, Alcestis
  • The First Philosophers: The Presocratics and Sophists
  • The Empiricists: Locke: Concerning Human Understanding; Berkeley: Principles of Human Knowledge & 3 Dialogues; Hume: Concerning Human Understanding & Concerning Natural Religion
  • Selected Satires
  • Confucian Analects, The Great Learning  The Doctrine of the Mean
  • Women's Life in Greece and Rome: A Source Book in Translation
  • Greek Tragedies, Vol. 2: Aeschylus: The Libation Bearers; Sophocles: Electra; Euripides: Iphigenia in Tauris, Electra, The Trojan Women
  • Meditations and Other Metaphysical Writings
  • The Major Works
  • Philosophical Writings of Peirce
  • Paideia 1: The Ideals of Greek Culture: Archaic Greece: The Mind of Athens
  • Alexander the Great and the Logistics of the Macedonian Army
  • Readings in Ancient Greek Philosophy: From Thales to Aristotle
  • Regels voor het Mensenpark
(Greek: Πλάτων) (Arabic: أفلاطون) (Alternate Spelling: Platón, Platone)
Plato is a Classical Greek philosopher, mathematician, student of Socrates, writer of philosophical dialogues, and founder of the Academy in Athens, the first institution of higher learning in the Western world. Along with his mentor, Socrates, and his student, Aristotle, Plato helped to lay the foundations of Western philosoph
More about Plato...