Start by marking “Ramona the Pest (Ramona, #2)” as Want to Read:
Ramona the Pest (Ramona, #2)

Ramona the Pest (Ramona Quimby #2)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  56,518 Ratings  ·  1,184 Reviews
This is the second title in the hugely popular series about Ramona Quimby. Ramona doesn't think she's a pest - she knows that she isn't a pest on purpose. So how in the world does Ramona get in trouble? Why does Davy run away whenever Ramona comes near him? And how does she manage to disrupt the whole kindergarten class during their rest time? Beverly Cleary is one of Amer ...more
Published June 8th 2000 by Oxford University Press (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Ramona the Pest, please sign up.
Hannah gauruder Ramona is going to kindergarten! She is really excited.She is famous for dropping out of kindergarten, pulling a girls curls,and trying to kiss a…moreRamona is going to kindergarten! She is really excited.She is famous for dropping out of kindergarten, pulling a girls curls,and trying to kiss a boy.Just a humored fictional book that never gets old.(less)

Ahmad Sharabiani
Ramona the Pest (Ramona Quimby #2), Beverly Cleary
Ramona the Pest, by Beverly Cleary, is the second book of the Ramona series and the first to focus on Ramona Quimby as the protagonist. This children's book chronicles the adventures of Ramona's first few months at kindergarten. The book's title is derived from the characterization of Ramona as a "pest" by many, including her older sister Beatrice, known as "Beezus." Ramona the Pest was first published in 1968 and featured illustrations by Louis
Philip
I read this book out loud with my middle child - the (currently) 5 year old Gwennie.

So Gwennie, what did you think?

Gwennie: Great?

Dad: How many stars should I give it?

G: Uhhhhhh... 4!

D: Why 4?

G: Uhhh... 4! 4.4.4. Because I liked it a little.

D: What did you like about it?

G: I liked abouuuuuuut it. When she. Uh... Kindergarten Drop-Out.

D: That was your favorite part?

*Gwennie nods*

D: Tell me about something that happened in the book, but it can't be something that happened today?

G: What? What did y
Josiah
Apr 17, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"No matter what others said, she never thought she was a pest. The people who called her a pest were always bigger and so they could be unfair."

—Ramona the Pest, P. 10

"Things had such an unexpected way of turning out all wrong."

—Ramona the Pest, P. 79

This book far exceeded my expectations of how good it would be.
For many years Beverly Cleary has proven herself to have a striking understanding of exactly what it means to be a kid, and she succeeds with perhaps more (or at least equal) stunn
Lars Guthrie
Jun 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
In Margaret Donaldson's quintessential 'Children's Minds,' she discusses the importance of 'decentering' in the language we use with children. Teachers know more than students, and thus often make false assumptions about shared knowledge: 'The better you know something, the more risk there is of behaving egocentrically in relation to your knowledge.'

Donaldson finds an example of such egocentric behavior in a story from Laurie Lee's autobiography 'Cider with Rosie.' After his first day at school
Linda
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me: 4 stars
Daughter (age 6): 4 stars

This was a winner for my 6 year-old daughter! Normally we read picture books before bed each night, but I started this chapter book as a change of pace now that school has started up again. She's always excited to read at night, but seemed more so with this book waiting for her as she was excited to see what would happen to Ramona next.

Her favorite part was the ending where Ramona read the letter she received from her kindergarten teacher asking her to come b
Jessica
True confession: I thought a lot of Ramona's "pest" behavior was horrible, even while I strongly suspected that I was guilty of the same thing!
FeReSHte
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: america, young-adult
خانم معلم آرام و شمرده گفت: " سلام رامونا! اسم من خانم بی نی است. خیلی خوشحالم که به کودکستان آمده ای" سپس دست رامونا را گرفت و او را به سمت میز و صندلی های کوچک برد و با لبخند گفت: " فعلا همین جا بنشین تا بعدا یک سر و سامانی بهت بدهم"

!! یک سر و سامان

رامونا با خود فکر کرد که سر و سامان حتما یک هدیه است و احساس کرد که دارد از خانم بی نی خوشش می اید

....................................................................................................
بورلی کلری با رامونا و سایر شخصیت هایی که در مجموعه
Kelly
Jul 18, 2017 added it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Oh the dawnzer lee light.

I literally laughed the entire first chapter, remembering it being read to me as a kid at some point. Then I wondered the entire last chapter how it was that Ramona got away with not going to school. Her mom must have really had an interesting conversation with someone to make that happen.

Still holds up. Again, a few cultural/gender norm issues, but nothing that's beyond what you'd expect for a book of this era (boys do this and wear that, the gypsy costume mention for
Mary
Feb 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone, especially those who try so hard and are still misunderstood
Recommended to Mary by: myself and Mandalee
I just reread this as part of an informal "Ramona will save us, as she always has" book group with a friend. It is, by no accident, the one I reread most as a kid, in which Ramona begins school, has an actually lovable teacher, and decides to drop out after determining said teacher doesn't love her. ...Somebody please, like, knight Beverly Cleary. The woman aspires to sainthood.

Although I should probably regret the fact that I relate this much to a five-year-old, I continue to take comfort in th
Natalie Rion
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
“Ramona the Pest” is the first of the “Ramona” series written by Beverly Cleary. This book introduces the lovable character, Ramona. In this particular book, Ramona is beginning her first year of school, Kindergarten. You soon learn about what kind of character Ramona is, a wild child. She loves horsing around, joking around, and being the typical playful kid. Her older sister Beezus, easily gets annoyed by Ramona and refers to her as a “pest”. In school, Ramona has trouble paying attention and ...more
Cassandra
A few weeks ago, I made a list of books that my 8 year old niece might like based on books I read when I was her age. When I picked up the books from the library, I had a sudden urge to reread them for myself (or in some cases, read some children's classics for the first time).

I'm going to be a party pooper and say that I'm not sure if I should give this a two or three star review, in spite of other glowing reviews. It was a nostalgic read. I remember the characters well. However, I do not like
Anne
Adorable. How had I not read the Ramona books as a kid? It's fun reading these to the kids & talking about how things were "in the olden days - but not as old as Little House, right mom?"
Kasey Brinkley
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My mother read me every Ramona Quimby and Henry Higgins book growing up and I read them again when I was old enough to read. This rainy Sunday afternoon seemed like a good time to read a Ramona book and it was like visiting an old friend!
Jenny
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Popsugar 2017-A book you loved as a child

I'll never get tired of Ramona.
Kris
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oh, Ramona. Kindergarten drop-out with a doll named Chevrolet and singing about the dawnzer lee light, you hold up to my memories. I cannot believe how long ago this was written because it really does not feel dated, other than in a few small instances that are easily forgiven. Beverly Cleary was ahead of her time, and Ramona is a timeless character.
Suzanne
Jun 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, middle-grade
This cute and funny little book really shows the trials and perils of starting kindergarten, along with the huge desire to be grown up. I especially enjoyed it because of the 4 and 5 year olds that I know and love.

Emily
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
reading as an adult, ramona is kind of a brat. loved every minute of it.
Teresa
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I grew up reading Ramona’s adventures and rereading this took me back to my childhood. Her brave and adventurous spirit inspired me to be curious as a child, and now as an adult it reminded me to find wonder in the normal parts of life.
Also, Ramona is not a pest.
Dolly
Oct 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun book to read aloud with your children. I don't remember reading the Ramona Quimby books when I was young, but I did love The Mouse and the Motorcycle. So when our oldest daughter brought this book home from her school library, we were very excited to read it.

I had no idea when it was originally published, although there were several parts of the book that harkened back to an earlier time. I was a bit surprised that Ramona was allowed to be at home by herself and walk alone to scho
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
I didn't realize until after I had finished the book just how old this book is! 1968! Geez! I noticed some things were a bit dated like singing the "Dawnzer" song (Star-Spangled Banner) every morning at school. Also, Mrs. Quimby shopping for fabric and patterns to make clothing for her family. On this same shopping trip she bought a replacement cord for the toaster. Ha! Ha! Today, mom would probably just buy a new toaster and would not be making her own clothes. I knew it was old but I didn't kn ...more
Connie
Aug 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Beverly Cleary has a real gift. Although her books span a period of decades, they all read as though they were written today. There's a few odd details in some of them, but mostly they rely on good storytelling and... well, very real-seeming children.

This is the story of Ramona's kindergarten year. It can be hard to find chapter books that are worth reading to kindergarteners, but this is it - Ramona actually seems like an actual child who is actually, really, truly in kindergarten! When she's t
Cami
Nov 14, 2011 rated it liked it
What do I like about Ramona?
I like that she's innocent. She's terribly curious and interested in the world around her. She's definitely stubborn and tries too hard for attention, but she's not mischievous.
That mischievousness is a problem I have with Junie B. Jones and her ilk. The messages from those books seem to be that being sneaky, mouthy, disrespectful...as long as you're clever about it, is a great way to be.
What I like particularly about Ramona the Pest is the way Beverly Cleary explores
Elizabeth
Jul 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not much to say about the amazing Ramona series that has not already been said, we all know that they are classics. These are my favorite read-alound books because they remind adults of the pace and significance of a day's event for a child. Although I did not read this in the French I wanted to have the cover image of my favorite illistration. Get your hands on an used copy- the current edition has horrible, cutesy pictures. Ramona is a scrapper, not a sweet little girl who keeps her clothes ni ...more
Adriana
Ramona the Pest is Ramona's misadventures of Kindergarten told in her own point of view. Now that I could actually listen while Ramona was narrating rather than Beezus, I could like Ramona more than I thought I would. Although Ramona is very dramatic, I thought her kindergarten tales were cute and her reasoning throughout the story entertaining. I feel like I'll be able to see Ramona grow throughout her books which would be really fun for younger readers to grow up with.
Joanne G.
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: b-library, juvenile
Ramona is starting kindergarten and learning how hard it is not to be a pest, especially when she's continually misunderstood.

I didn't remember Ramona being such a wonderful character. She's worshipful of her teacher; barely tolerant of Howie, the son of her mother's friend; and alternately lovable and trying to her family. Ramona has a zest for life that can hardly be squelched, even when it gets her in trouble for pulling Susan's irresistible curls. Boing!
Melissa Coyle
Super delightful! Beverly Cleary hits being a five year old right out of the ball park. I had a few Lol moments and was nice evening spent with Ramona and her escapades.
Amanda
So, here I am. Just a single girl, at home by herself on a Saturday night, reading Beverly Cleary. Perfectly. Normal.
Shira
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
this was always my favorite Ramona book when I was a kid. it holds up. dawnzer lee light! ha!
Eileen W
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this out loud to my 9 and 6 year olds. We all liked this one, where Ramona is in kindergarten, better than the first one when she is about four years old. This one was a lot of fun!
Sarah Nessler
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book #2 in the Ramona series, bigger imagination yet. Another year older and now on to school for real this time. She falls in love with her teacher but yet she does not want to behave the way everyone wants her to. Ramona states no one understands her and how she feels. Putting it simply she beats to her own drum. There are many incidents that Ramona wants to give up simply there no reason to go back into school. She looses a tooth , she makes new friends and some not so much. A spunky kinderga ...more
1001 Children's B...: September 2015: Ramona the Pest 18 25 Oct 12, 2015 08:01AM
  • Anastasia Again! (Anastasia Krupnik, #2)
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Magic (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #2)
  • The One in the Middle Is the Green Kangaroo
  • Ralph S. Mouse by Beverly Cleary: Teacher Guide (Novel Units)
  • Clementine, Friend of the Week (Clementine, #4)
  • Me and My Little Brain (Great Brain #3)
  • Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective (Encyclopedia Brown, #1)
  • Betsy and Billy
  • The Celery Stalks at Midnight (Bunnicula, #3)
  • The Best Christmas Pageant Ever (The Herdmans #1)
  • Good-bye Stacey, Good-bye (The Babysitters Club, #13)
Beverly Cleary (born April 12, 1916) is the author of over 30 books for young adults and children. Her characters are normal children facing challenges that many of us face growing up, and her stories are liberally laced with humour. Some of her best known and loved characters are Ramona Quimby and her sister Beatrice ("Beezus"), Henry Huggins, and Ralph S. Mouse.

Beverly Cleary was born Beverly At
More about Beverly Cleary

Ramona Quimby (8 books)
  • Beezus and Ramona (Ramona, #1)
  • Ramona the Brave (Ramona, #3)
  • Ramona and Her Father (Ramona, #4)
  • Ramona and Her Mother (Ramona, #5)
  • Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (Ramona, #6)
  • Ramona Forever (Ramona, #7)
  • Ramona's World (Ramona, #8)
“She was not a slowpoke grownup. She was a girl who could not wait. Life was so interesting she had to find out what happened next.” 1682 likes
“Words were so puzzling. Present should mean a present just as attack should mean to stick tacks in people.” 53 likes