Start by marking “Ramona the Pest (Ramona, #2)” as Want to Read:
Ramona the Pest (Ramona, #2)

Ramona the Pest

(Ramona Quimby #2)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  63,897 ratings  ·  1,576 reviews
This is the second title in the hugely popular series about Ramona Quimby. Ramona doesn't think she's a pest - she knows that she isn't a pest on purpose. So how in the world does Ramona get in trouble? Why does Davy run away whenever Ramona comes near him? And how does she manage to disrupt the whole kindergarten class during their rest time? Beverly Cleary is one of Amer ...more
Published June 8th 2000 by Oxford University Press (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Ramona the Pest, please sign up.
Eliza Haentzler You can buy the book off of Amazon, in a book store, eBay, Facebook Marketplace, etc.

·  63,897 ratings  ·  1,576 reviews

Start your review of Ramona the Pest (Ramona, #2)
Ahmad Sharabiani
Ramona the Pest (Ramona Quimby #2), Beverly Cleary

Ramona the Pest, by Beverly Cleary, is the second book of the Ramona series and the first to focus on Ramona Quimby as the protagonist.

This children's book chronicles the adventures of Ramona's first few months at kindergarten.

The book's title is derived from the characterization of Ramona as a "pest" by many, including her older sister Beatrice, known as "Beezus." Ramona the Pest was first published in 1968 and featured illustrations by Louis
Philip
I read this book out loud with my middle child - the (currently) 5 year old Gwennie.

So Gwennie, what did you think?

Gwennie: Great?

Dad: How many stars should I give it?

G: Uhhhhhh... 4!

D: Why 4?

G: Uhhh... 4! 4.4.4. Because I liked it a little.

D: What did you like about it?

G: I liked abouuuuuuut it. When she. Uh... Kindergarten Drop-Out.

D: That was your favorite part?

*Gwennie nods*

D: Tell me about something that happened in the book, but it can't be something that happened today?

G: What? What did y
Josiah
Apr 17, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"No matter what others said, she never thought she was a pest. The people who called her a pest were always bigger and so they could be unfair."

Ramona the Pest, P. 10

"Things had such an unexpected way of turning out all wrong."

Ramona the Pest, P. 79

This book far exceeded my expectations. For many years Beverly Cleary has proven herself to have a unique understanding of what it means to be a kid, and she succeeds with perhaps more stunning skill in this book than any other she has written.
Kristy
I read RAMONA THE PEST with my eight-year-old daughters. We had such fun with this one, and wow, the story really holds up over time. They were totally into it, laughing and engaged throughout the entire book. The actual physical copy we read was mine, given to me by my Dad in 1987, and I loved that I could share it with them now.

Ramona--what can I say? A timeless character. The girls adored her, and I fell in love with her all over again. Cleary has such an amazing knack for writing children a
Jane
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The second book in the Ramona series finds her starting kindergarten. It is wonderful to watch as she starts school. In her word's she is finally growing up.
There is new characters in this book, like Miss Binney, Ramona's new teacher.
Ramona loves her new teacher, and feels Miss Binney can do no wrong.
There is also Howie, and Davy, who Ramona longs to kiss, and Susan who has hair that is temptation for Ramona's hands.
There are so many delightful moments in this book, one of my favorites is Ram
Manybooks
Although Ramona Quimby is still sometimes rather too rambunctious and annoyingly full of herself for my personal reading tastes in the second of Beverly Cleary’s Ramona novels (and also not very willing to consider she needs to accept responsibility when she, when Ramona acts out), personally I do rather tend to find find that the book title of Ramona the Pest might actually and in fact be a trifle misleading, might be a bit untrue.

For in my humble opinion and if I textually compare Ramona the
Vanessa
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Miss Binney, I want to know—how did Mike Mulligan go to the bathroom when he was digging the basement of the town hall?”

Miss Binney’s smile seemed to last longer than smiles usually last. Ramona glanced uneasily around and saw that others were waiting with interest for the answer. Everybody wanted to know how Mike Mulligan went to the bathroom.
.....
“Boys and girls,” she began and spoke in her clear and distinct way. “The reason the book doesn’t tell us how Mike Mulligan went to the bathroom is
Linda
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me: 4 stars
Daughter (age 6): 4 stars

This was a winner for my 6 year-old daughter! Normally we read picture books before bed each night, but I started this chapter book as a change of pace now that school has started up again. She's always excited to read at night, but seemed more so with this book waiting for her as she was excited to see what would happen to Ramona next.

Her favorite part was the ending where Ramona read the letter she received from her kindergarten teacher asking her to come b
Kris
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oh, Ramona. Kindergarten drop-out with a doll named Chevrolet and singing about the dawnzer lee light, you hold up to my memories. I cannot believe how long ago this was written because it really does not feel dated, other than in a few small instances that are easily forgiven. Beverly Cleary was ahead of her time, and Ramona is a timeless character.
Jessica
True confession: I thought a lot of Ramona's "pest" behavior was horrible, even while I strongly suspected that I was guilty of the same thing! ...more
Lata
I giggled my way through Ramona’s first few months in kindergarten: “dawnser”, a worm engagement ring, and becoming a dropout.
Lars Guthrie
Jun 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
In Margaret Donaldson's quintessential 'Children's Minds,' she discusses the importance of 'decentering' in the language we use with children. Teachers know more than students, and thus often make false assumptions about shared knowledge: 'The better you know something, the more risk there is of behaving egocentrically in relation to your knowledge.'

Donaldson finds an example of such egocentric behavior in a story from Laurie Lee's autobiography 'Cider with Rosie.' After his first day at school
Mary
Feb 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone, especially those who try so hard and are still misunderstood
Recommended to Mary by: myself and Mandalee
I just reread this as part of an informal "Ramona will save us, as she always has" book group with a friend. It is, by no accident, the one I reread most as a kid, in which Ramona begins school, has an actually lovable teacher, and decides to drop out after determining said teacher doesn't love her. ...Somebody please, like, knight Beverly Cleary. The woman aspires to sainthood.

Although I should probably regret the fact that I relate this much to a five-year-old, I continue to take comfort in th
Kelly
Jul 18, 2017 added it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Oh the dawnzer lee light.

I literally laughed the entire first chapter, remembering it being read to me as a kid at some point. Then I wondered the entire last chapter how it was that Ramona got away with not going to school. Her mom must have really had an interesting conversation with someone to make that happen.

Still holds up. Again, a few cultural/gender norm issues, but nothing that's beyond what you'd expect for a book of this era (boys do this and wear that, the gypsy costume mention for
Natalie Rion
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
“Ramona the Pest” is the first of the “Ramona” series written by Beverly Cleary. This book introduces the lovable character, Ramona. In this particular book, Ramona is beginning her first year of school, Kindergarten. You soon learn about what kind of character Ramona is, a wild child. She loves horsing around, joking around, and being the typical playful kid. Her older sister Beezus, easily gets annoyed by Ramona and refers to her as a “pest”. In school, Ramona has trouble paying attention and ...more
Lily
Jun 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Beverly Cleary is the only author that can successfully write from a child's point of view. She does so without being at all precocious or obnoxious. Even fifty years later, Ramona still holds up. I love how indignant she gets about things in her world that just aren't fair. Like when Susan stole her idea for the owl project and she got all the credit for it. That would have killed me when I was that age! Or what she thinks of her teachers ("Ramona was filled with love for Miss Binney.") Or when ...more
Cassandra
A few weeks ago, I made a list of books that my 8 year old niece might like based on books I read when I was her age. When I picked up the books from the library, I had a sudden urge to reread them for myself (or in some cases, read some children's classics for the first time).

I'm going to be a party pooper and say that I'm not sure if I should give this a two or three star review, in spite of other glowing reviews. It was a nostalgic read. I remember the characters well. However, I do not like
Beth
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beverly Cleary is a national treasure. She is also 104. I saw a brief headline about her birthday and - unsurprisingly, I suppose - looked backward, to a childhood uncomplicated by global pandemics and populated by problems like Ramona’s. There are no computers or cell phones here, but these books are as relevant as when they were first published.
Ramona gave Howie a look of pity, but she said, “Please stay for lunch, Howie. It isn’t tuna fish. It’s peanut butter and jelly.”
It isn’t tuna fish. Ab
Joanne G.
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: b-library, juvenile
Ramona is starting kindergarten and learning how hard it is not to be a pest, especially when she's continually misunderstood.

I didn't remember Ramona being such a wonderful character. She's worshipful of her teacher; barely tolerant of Howie, the son of her mother's friend; and alternately lovable and trying to her family. Ramona has a zest for life that can hardly be squelched, even when it gets her in trouble for pulling Susan's irresistible curls. Boing!
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
If you enjoyed the first book in the series, you will absolutely love this. Even though older people think Ramona is a pest, the author did a great job of capturing things from Ramona's perspective to explain why she does the things she does. A solid volume in the Ramona collection. ...more
Anne
Adorable. How had I not read the Ramona books as a kid? It's fun reading these to the kids & talking about how things were "in the olden days - but not as old as Little House, right mom?" ...more
BHodges
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love these as bedtime stories with my 7yo daughter.
Katriel
this is hysterical. why was this not a part of my childhood? 😂😂❤️
Kasey Brinkley
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My mother read me every Ramona Quimby and Henry Higgins book growing up and I read them again when I was old enough to read. This rainy Sunday afternoon seemed like a good time to read a Ramona book and it was like visiting an old friend!
Jess Westhoff
May 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Asher: 4 stars because Ramona is in kindergarten like me. There are tons of part I like!

Annabelle: 0 stars because Ramona kicked the wall and dropped out of kindergarten 😂
Jenny
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Popsugar 2017-A book you loved as a child

I'll never get tired of Ramona.
Dolly
Oct 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun book to read aloud with your children. I don't remember reading the Ramona Quimby books when I was young, but I did love The Mouse and the Motorcycle. So when our oldest daughter brought this book home from her school library, we were very excited to read it.

I had no idea when it was originally published, although there were several parts of the book that harkened back to an earlier time. I was a bit surprised that Ramona was allowed to be at home by herself and walk alone to scho
Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl
I didn't realize until after I had finished the book just how old this book is! 1968! Geez! I noticed some things were a bit dated like singing the "Dawnzer" song (Star-Spangled Banner) every morning at school. Also, Mrs. Quimby shopping for fabric and patterns to make clothing for her family. On this same shopping trip she bought a replacement cord for the toaster. Ha! Ha! Today, mom would probably just buy a new toaster and would not be making her own clothes. I knew it was old but I didn't kn ...more
Debbie
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I remember reading this book when I was nine years old and still love it to this day! Ramona is a feisty, spunky little girl whose adventures in kindergarten are a hoot! I always make a point of reading this story to my Grade 3 students! Highly recommend this Beverly Cleary classic!
Suzanne
Jun 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, audio
This cute and funny little book really shows the trials and perils of starting kindergarten, along with the huge desire to be grown up. I especially enjoyed it because of the 4 and 5 year olds that I know and love.

Goodreads Librari...: Please add alternate cover 2 11 Mar 29, 2021 06:37PM
1001 Children's B...: September 2015: Ramona the Pest 18 26 Oct 12, 2015 08:01AM

• Superfudge (Fudge, #3)
  • Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great (Fudge, #2)
  • Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing (Fudge, #1)
  • Fudge-a-Mania (Fudge, #4)
  • Double Fudge (Fudge, #5)
  • Freckle Juice
  • Mr. Popper's Penguins
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #1)
  • O zi din viața Deliei
  • Junie B. Jones and the  Stupid Smelly Bus (Junie B. Jones, #1)
  • The Mystery of the Stolen Corn Popper (Cam Jansen Mysteries #11)
  • Harriet the Spy (Harriet the Spy #1)
  • Ada Lace, Take Me to Your Leader (Ada Lace Adventures, #3)
  • The Boxcar Children (The Boxcar Children, #1)
  • The Talented Clementine (Clementine, #2)
  • Clementine's Letter (Clementine, #3)
  • Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective (Encyclopedia Brown, #1)
  • Amber Brown Sees Red
See top shelves…
Beverly Cleary (born April 12, 1916) was the author of over 30 books for young adults and children. Her characters are normal children facing challenges that many of us face growing up, and her stories are liberally laced with humour. Some of her best known and loved characters are Ramona Quimby and her sister Beatrice ("Beezus"), Henry Huggins, and Ralph S. Mouse.

Beverly Cleary was born Beverly A

Ramona Quimby (8 books)
  • Beezus and Ramona (Ramona, #1)
  • Ramona the Brave (Ramona, #3)
  • Ramona and Her Father (Ramona, #4)
  • Ramona and Her Mother (Ramona Quimby, #5)
  • Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (Ramona, #6)
  • Ramona Forever (Ramona, #7)
  • Ramona's World (Ramona Quimby, #8)