Start by marking “The Social Animal” as Want to Read:
The Social Animal

The Social Animal

A landmark text that maintains its relevance and unique approach edition after edition, The Social Animal offers a brief, compelling introduction to modern social psychology. Through vivid narrative, lively presentations of important research, and intriguing examples, Elliot Aronson probes the patterns and motives of human behavior, covering such diverse topics as terroris ...more
Published July 13th 2007 by Worth Publishers (first published 1972)

Evan
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is one of the best and most illuminating books I have ever read.

This book is what every self-help book dreams of being; instead of anecdotes or feel-good advice, there's 400 pages of meticulously referenced (sadly just endnotes, not sidenotes or footnotes) peer-reviewed articles. Aronson's life work is, as he concludes the book, understanding "how we think, how we behave, what makes us aggressive, and what makes us loving." So many books peck around the edges of that topic; this book, now i
Amir Tesla
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
Amazing book, full of lessons and wisdom which literally makes you a more Cute and effective person in life.
Zach Zhao
May 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For every subject, there is a Bible textbook. This has to be the one for Social Psychology.
عبدالرحمن عقاب
هذا الكتاب يعتبر بحق مقدمة نافعة و متقنة في مجال علم النفس الاجتماعي.
فصوله الثلاث الأولى أهم في موضوعاتها وأكثر إتقانا في عرضها من الأخيرة.
يمتاز الكتاب بسلاسة الأسلوب، وترتيب الأفكار. ويعيبه طول فصوله وإسهابه في مواطن لا تحتاج إلى الإسهاب والإطالة ويمكن فيها الاستغناء بذكر تجربة أو اثنتين والتركيز على النتائج. وينقصه الجداول والملخصات في الهوامش فهي لو أضيفت ستعطيه إفادة وتميزا وفائدة أكبر.
Saeed
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was in college, I first got interested in social psychology because it dealt with some of the most exciting aspects of being human: love, hate, prejudice, aggression, altruism, social influence, conformity, and the like. At that time, I didn’t care a great deal about how this impressive body of knowledge came into existence. I simply wanted to know what was known. It wasn’t until I entered graduate school that it suddenly dawned on me that I could be more than a consumer of this knowledge ...more
Jenn
Mar 08, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The author states that he purposely left this book brief so that it could serve as an introduction to social psychology. As valid a goal as that might be, Elliot Aronson's approach leaves the reader with a book that only provides examples and defines barely any terms or theories. Aronson must have known that his book may be used as primary text for a social psychology class (as it was in mine), which makes the inadequacies of this book inexcusable.

The author bolds key terms but a review of the d
Mohammed Al Hajji
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great reference for avid social psychology readers. It goes through all main concepts in the field in a simple yet enriching content.
Sid
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Social Psychology is a really captivating topic, and as a primer this book was great. The author sure seems to know what he is writing about, giving examples and case studies from findings. But along with that his writing is captivating and drew me to read more and become more curious on the matter he was writing. I am keen on knowing more about the subject and applications of it.

Strongly recommend this book, can't think of a reason how it cannot impact anybody and everybody. We all are social
Ravikiran Gunale
Nice book about social psychology and behaviours. How good/bad stereotypes are created. It explains lot about how we develop good/bad attitude towards certain groups. Why people conform to a ideology . In what situation people are most/least influenced. Basically its a toolbox to understand individual and group interactions. Almost every statement made by author is scientifically validated by experiments.
Belal Al Droubi
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
i could talk so much about this book and it would still be difficult to express how valuable i found it to be
this is a textbook on the beautiful science of Social Psychology, although a TEXTBOOK, it is the farthest thing from being boring or low-yield.
you truly are lucky if this is your assigned book in a Social Psych class.

it discusses all the main areas of social psychology from conformity to prejudice to social cognition and self-justification (which i found to be the most mind-blowing chapte
Yvonne
Jan 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in psychology
I had to read this book for my Social Psychology class and it was (quite possibly) the only "text" book I ever actually read. It was a fascinating merging of psychology in a social context. The subject is immediately applicable to real life.
Sadhbh Warren
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a bit dated now, but this is the book that pretty much taught me everything I wanted to know about people and social psychology when I signed up to do my BA. The discussion of Bystander Syndrome absolutely blew my mind at the time. Well worth a read.
Vy  Nguyen
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an awesome book about social influences that helps explain why people behave the way they do in different situations. The fundamental philosophy of The Social Animal is that human behaviors, belief, and attitude do not reflect dispositional qualities in individuals because it is the variables in the situations that produce behaviors, belief, and attitude. This is a very generous view in regard of human nature. It implies that we have the capacity to change people for the better if we und ...more
Tennyson C. Robin
Chapter 2: Conformity
Why do we conform? Because either we believe that our judgement is erroneous or we seek approval/acceptance of others to belong to the group. Evolutionarily speaking, social exclusion could have a devastating result on an individual: receiving no protection, little opportunity to reproduce, hence the ingrained need to conform.

Factors affecting conformity include unanimity, commitment, accountability, the person and the culture, and the group exerting pressure.
Joris
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Insightful and thought-provoking, covering a broad range of fascinating human behavior topics.
Mousa Aldaas
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
such great book... while you're reading it you will notice that the writer explains every possibility you might think of..... it is like he knows how you're thinking....
Jurij Fedorov
Well, I really wanted to like it. I love psychology and I love social psychology. This seemed like a book written by a knowledgeable person on the topic... but in the end this is too much pseudoscience for my liking. I read everything I can about psychology and even I thought this was boring. So, I really don't know who will enjoy this book. So it really baffles me that so many people give it high ratings. Who the hell reads this book? If you actually know a bit about psychology you will discove ...more
May 舞
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can’t believe it! I’ve finally finished “the social animal”!
I stumbled upon this book over a year ago and started reading it but stopped after a 100 pages or so because I felt lost and thought that taking notes would be much better. Except I never got to this part until a few months later (._.)
Anyway, it was just as awesome as I thought it would be and I believe it was worth every minute. I learned about conformity, persuasion, social cognition, self-justification, aggression, prejudice, love
Lotfi Alsouki
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Plug this book in your brain(As in PC like plugging) and you will not hate anyone ,you will not be angry with anyone or anything ,sound inhuman but this what the book implies !! every action ,every thought and every word has a plausible reason behind them ,once we know it we see things in a different lens .
I have never read a glossary in a book before (who does!) ,here i did it !! Great book from first page to the last one.
Assaad
Excellent. It's an encyclopedia for modern psychology. Covering a very wide range of experiences. I really really enjoy it. When I finished the book, I felt like I don't need to read anything anymore about Social Psychology!
I was also amazed by the scientific approach to do experiments in social psychology.
Chapeau-bas!
Cassy
This book covers so much, and it's a huge wake up to the human nature and how we are inclined to do good and awful things. I love the emphasis on eliminating prejudice. There is also a great chapter, 'Liking, loving, and interpersonal sensitivity', that is applicable to anyone in a relationship. I guess this is my inspiration to study sociology and psychology in university :)
Meaghan
Dec 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone thinking/questioning their world
Recommended to Meaghan by: My Instructor
I read the 10th Edition last year at school and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. Its a LOT of information, but its well worth the read to see past the surface of the world we live in to get to the real reason we are the way we are, and how the media, society, and life in general molds us.
Seyhun Akyürek
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mind
Social Animal is an insightful book about social psychology, human nature topics explained deeply. Loved it!
LIN
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Human/social psychology is so complicated that staying brutally honest to ourselves is utmost important and difficult
Staffan
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mind=Blown
Julie
May 10, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anthropologist
An entertaining peek into the age old social aspects of human beings. I also love Aronson's language. He makes scientific non-fiction just as amusing and easy to read as Judy Blume.
Ingrid Miller
Mar 14, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I would have given it zero if I could; this book is the most frustrating, boring, and infuriating thing I think I have ever read.

I have this book as a social psychology textbook this year and I thought it might be ok at first, because the anecdotal style makes it easy and even pleasant to read.

You know what it makes it really hard to do? Find ANY goddamn information. The subheadings make no sense, nothing is organized in a logical way, and everything is hidden in paragraphs upon paragraphs of h
Ivaylo Durmonski
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Social Animal by Elliot Aronson it's like a guide for becoming a better communicator. The only reason I gave it 4 of out 5 stars is because the writing style is mostly rigid. Quite understandable to be honest, the writer is a Harvard graduate. It's definitely something you must read if you're interested in understanding how people operate. Read the full review here: https://corehustle.com/the-social-ani...
Akshay
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
The Social Animal is a great primer into experimental social psychology. Elliot Aronson vividly describes human social behavior, backing each section with multiple experiments. There's a lot in this book that's counter-intuitive, but makes perfect sense after the evidence has been laid out. A must read for anyone trying to get a better understanding of themselves and the behavior of people around them.
Hataipat
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-love
there're a lot of insights and researches in social psychology in this book which i really think it's essential if you want to understand the general topics in the subject. I think it's best if you never take any social psychology courses before reading this but it's okay to revise some topics even though i already studied all that. Nice book. I considered it a must read book.

• The Psychology of Attitude Change and Social Influence
  • Beyond Culture
  • The Branded Mind: What Neuroscience Really Tells Us about the Puzzle of the Brain and the Brand
  • Brainfluence: 100 Ways to Persuade and Convince Consumers with Neuromarketing
  • The Buying Brain: Secrets for Selling to the Subconscious Mind
  • Out of Character: Surprising Truths About the Liar, Cheat, Sinner (and Saint) Lurking in All of Us
  • Obedience to Authority
  • The Personality Puzzle
  • Redirect: The Surprising New Science of Psychological Change
  • The Person and the Situation: Perspectives of Social Psychology
  • Neuromarketing: Understanding the Buy Buttons in Your Customer's Brain
  • Pioneers of Psychology
  • Numbers Rule Your World: The Hidden Influence of Probabilities and Statistics on Everything You Do
  • Priceless: The Myth of Fair Value (and How to Take Advantage of It)
  • How to Think Straight about Psychology
  • The Secret Life of Pronouns: What Our Words Say About Us
  • Children’s Minds
  • The Mind's New Science: A History Of The Cognitive Revolution
Elliot Aronson (Born January 1932) is listed among the 100 most eminent psychologist of the 20th Century, best known for his Jigsaw Classroom experiments, cognitive dissonance research, and bestselling Social Psychology textbooks. He is the only person in the 120-year history of the American Psychological Association to have won all three of its major awards: For distinguished writing (1973), for ...more
“Man is by nature a social animal; an individual who is unsocial naturally
and not accidentally is either beneath our notice or more than human.
Society is something in nature that precedes the individual. Anyone who
either cannot lead the common life or is so self-sufficient as not to need
to, and therefore does not partake of society, is either a beast or a god.
Aristotle