Start by marking “Ecological Economics: Principles And Applications” as Want to Read:
Ecological Economics: Principles And Applications

Ecological Economics: Principles And Applications

Conventional economics is increasingly criticized for failing to reflect the value of clean air and water, species diversity, and social and generational equity. By excluding biophysical and social reality from its analyses and equations, conventional economics seems ill-suited to address problems in a world characterized by increasing human impacts and decreasing natural ...more
Published November 1st 2003 by Island Press

To ask other readers questions about Ecological Economics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ecological Economics

Start your review of Ecological Economics: Principles And Applications
stinaz
A good 101 for ecological economics. Has some great theories, and some good analysis of how neoclassical economics works and how to adapt it to consider markets within a finite world and its ecosystems.

The pros: I really liked how Daly took you through the classical approach and adapted it to fit within ecological constraints. The premises were explained well however I had read better and more in depth information in many other places about sustainability theory - which did not necessarily detra
Yannick
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really good book. It is accessible for undergraduates as well as the layman but still teaches fundamental modelling and thinking skills. In my view it gives a good appreciation of what (neo-) classical economics has previously achieved without seeing the devil in everything but still succinctly points out the fundamental flaws in previous models.

Good book for teaching and learning yourself.
Keith Akers
Sep 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent textbook. The hardest part for me was when he talks about traditional economics, which was new to me, but it was clearly explained and did not require a lot of math. There are, however, a LOT of new concepts.
Rebecca
Dec 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Required reading for my ecological economics course, good overview of ecological economics.
Elizabeth
May 14, 2011 marked it as to-read
Shelves: get-again
Feb 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
A VERY, VERY important book. A call to all of the people who lost hope in the field of economics to tackle the problems and move forth in making the free market a better place. Daly manifests many issues that he sees as endemic in neoclassical economics. He distinguishes Ecological Economics from Neoclassical Economics and Environmental Economics and gives us hope that there is an answer within the current system of things if we address certain issues before it is too late. As it serves as a tex ...more
Debbie
Apr 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I read this for my class Ecological Economics, actually taught by Herman Daly who is considered to be the godfather of the field. This was a fascinating book that criticizes the current neoclassical economic theory and thought for existing in a vacuum. Daly and Farley's basic premise is that economic systems do not exist independently but exist within a finite and limiting ecosystem. There is a need to move away from the idea of perpetual growth (which is not the same thing as development) which ...more
Nick
Dec 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
This text was assigned reading for my Economics of Sustainability course. The field of Ecological Economics has three goals: 1) A sustainable level of consumption, 2) Just distribution, and 3) Efficient allocation.
Make no mistake, this is a textbook. I will say that the ideas presented in the text are conveyed with concrete examples very frequently. That understood, I did have to read, and reread some sections.

Considering the current events, political and economic, shouldn't we at least understa
Kate Lawrence
Apr 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: environment
This was the text for a discussion course I just finished. Definitely academic, but gave a good overview of what an economic system that includes the value of environmental resources would look like. Now when someone tosses around words like "scale," "allocation," and "distribution," I'll have some clue what they're talking about.
Leeann
This was the textbook for my Ecological Economics class. It reads like a textbook, too, in ways that are sometimes painful, but the ideas presented are extremely important. I'd recommend it to anyone with any interest in the field of economics; it will challenge much of what you've learned before and provide a whole different (and, I think, more sane) way of looking at things.
Faye
Sep 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Textbook explaining ecological economics, studying this topic helped to answer many of the questions I have had for a very long time about humans and the environment. Contemplating our future on Planet Earth ... at least google the topic and learn as much as you can.
Elinor Hurst
Dec 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am giving this book five stars because I learned a huge amount from it, and it has opened my eyes to an exciting new discipline which integrates ecological, ethical and economic understandings together and produces concrete policy recommendations for a sustainable world.

Deusse
Dec 27, 2013 added it
An excellent book, and a must for anyone interested in sustainable development.
Kstn
Aug 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
i'm not so great with science, so this is a bit of a stretch, but still an exciting development in economic discourse.
Zack
Tiffany
Jun 21, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Candide
  • The Night Fire (Harry Bosch, #22; Renée Ballard, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #32)
  • The Swimmer
  • The Limits to Growth: The 30-Year Update
  • Leviathan
  • Kobane calling
  • Violence: Six Sideways Reflections
  • La guerra di tutti. Populismo, terrore e crisi della società liberale
  • Teoria della classe disagiata
  • M: Il figlio del secolo
  • No Is Not Enough: Resisting Trump’s Shock Politics and Winning the World We Need
  • Benito Cereno
  • A Theory of Justice
  • L'Adalgisa. Disegni milanesi

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Herman Daly is an American ecological economist and professor at the School of Public Policy of University of Maryland, College Park in the United States. He was Senior Economist in the Environment Department of the World Bank, where he helped to develop policy guidelines related to sustainable development. While there, he was engaged in environmental operations work in Latin America. He is closel ...more

News & Interviews