Start by marking “Marie” as Want to Read:

Read Book* *Different edition

Marie (Allan Quatermain #5)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  302 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Allan Quatermain, the hero of King Solomon's mines, tells the story of his first wife, Marie Marais, and the adventures that led to her tragic demise.
Published July 1st 2008 by Waking Lion Press (first published 1912)

To ask other readers questions about Marie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marie

Aug 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best works by H. Rider Haggard that I've read, and I've read a good number of them. This is the tale of how Allan Quatermain, hero of 14 of Haggard's books, including "King Solomon's Mines," met his first wife. It is set against the time of the Great Trek in the 1830s, and is jammed with action, adventure and romance. There are two terrific villains, Dingaan (brother of Chaka) and a Portuguese who's trying to not only kill our hero, but rob him of his wife in the bargain. The ...more
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-collection
কি বলব? কিছু তো বলা উচিত... আসলে মাতর পড়ে শেষ করলাম... আসলে আগে যারা অযালান কোয়াটারমেইন এর বই গুল পড়েছেন তারা বইটা পড়া শুরু করলেই বুঝতে পারবেন মেরি মারা যাবে এই বই তে... সপয়লার হয়ে যাচছে তাই তো? জানুক না একটু গলপের মোড়... কারণ আমার কাছে মেরির মৃতযু নয় তার মৃতযুর পেছনের কাহিনী টাই আসলে গলপ...
অযালান এর বয়স এই ১৮ এর মত হবে (আমার মত) যখন পরেমে পড়ে জান এক বোয়া মেয়ের। লমবায় আধ ইঞচি বড় হয়া সততবেও অযালান এর পরেমে বুদ হয়ে যায় মেরি।
পরথমে কাফরিদের হাত থেকে পরে নিরমম আফরিকার হাত থেকে তারপর জুলু রাজা ডিনগান
May 10, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, 2015-rev

Allan Quatermain, an English teen growing up in what is now South Africa, falls in love with Marie Marais, a Boer neighbour girl. Her father is against the marriage, favoring instead his wealthy nephew. He and the nephew put one obstacle after another in the lovers' way, with tragic consequences.

I read H. Rider Haggard's King Solomon's Mines when I was very young, and eventually followed it with She and a few others in the She/Quatermain saga. I remember them as
Chris Purser
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the tale and the suspense as you follow the battle of love vs hate and view of human life or lack of respect for life.
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now I am engaged in victorian literature! Very enjoyable stories from a time long past. This one in particular is a sad one and very exciting too.
Khant Oo
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1912's fan service... reminds me back when I was Grade 4 when my mom introduced first fiction... Nostalgia..... Allan <3 <3
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
what a great story and well written, my favorite one of the series so far!
Jan 19, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't usually like tales in which I know from the start that things will not end well, so it’s not much of a surprise that I didn’t approach this book with much enthusiasm. However, I’ve already gotten the idea that each of Haggard’s Alan Quatermain tales builds on those he penned previously (which is why my decision not to try to read them in chronological order turned out to be wise), so I felt that I would be making an error not to.

The voice I’ve been enjoying so much in the other Alan Quat
Sean Bester
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This being my first sample of H. Rider Haggard's writings and his infamous hero, Allan Quatermain, I found it to be pretty great!

The writing and prose are excellent throughout, and for the most part, the pacing is also very well done. Writing a prequel to an already extensive series is a difficult thing, and this could have been fairly disastrous. I was happy to see that it was well worth the read.

I did get a real sense of the characters and their personalities, and it's quite tragic when lookin
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading King Solomon's Mines it was interesting to read the story of a young Allan Quatermain and his first love, Marie. In some ways the pacing and action in Marie was more exciting that King Solomon's Mines. I particularly enjoyed the standoff at the Marias home which happens early in the story. Overall I really enjoyed this book and I look forward to reading more of Quatermain's adventures. However I do have one big complaint and that's the handling of the fate of Marie. You start the b ...more
Patrick Hayes
Aug 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An untypical outting for Alan Quatermain, as it comes from his early life in Africa, and his meeting and relationship with his first love, Marie. What follows contains the usual sort of adventure in these novels, though Alan escapes more due to luck than skill, and he's singleminded on being with Marie, and women are not often his focus. I was a little disappointed in seeing the tender side of Alan, but that is trait I should have expected from this boy from Britain. The ending is telegraphed in ...more
Tim Weakley
Jun 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ripping-tales
While not in the same vein as Tarzan or many of the rest in this genre, this story was still a great ripping tale. The story takes place when Quatermain was very young. It's set during the time of the Boer trek from South Africa to Natal. You have the requisite heroes and villains, guns and natives, and evil Kings and Europeans.

A good introduction to the books to come. I can hardly wait to start King Solomon's Mines.
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Allan Quatermain's tale regarding how he found and married his first wife and the story of that relationship. It goes back to 1836-38? a time of unrest in southern Africa with the immigrations of Boers traveling inland, clashes with Zulus and an arch villain who appears throughout the narrative. It is also a story of how harmful prejudice and jealousy can be to the relationships between people.
Lydia A.
Dec 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read King Solomon's Mines last year. It quickly became my favorite book, that is until I read this one! It is a heroic tale of man who loved someone so dearly he gave up his life for her. It is the first book in chronological order of the Quatermain books. Indeed a wonderful read. I cannot describe how much I loved it! However, at the saddest part I found myself crying along with " the little son of George" adieu to Allan for now, but forever his stories will remain with me!
Philip Stringer
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great adventure story from a great story teller! Written with all of the melodramatic flair of the Victorian era, half the fun of reading this novel is the language. It is a powerful commentary on the destructive powers of prejudice and hatred, which permeate the story with devastating effects for the innocent and guilty alike.
May 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of Haggard's best books. It breaks with tradition by finding a very young Allan entering into his first true love. It is a real page turner even though you can guess the general outcome at the end. It opens with a battle scene and is a very fast paced book. I've loved the ALlan Quatermain books most of my life, and this one was just plain good fun.
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK, if you can put the blatant racism into perspective as a symptom of the time, one that we have hopefully outgrown/are hopefully outgrowing in the English-speaking world, this was a great adventure story/historical novel.
Dec 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story of Allan Quatermain's first marriage, his involvement with the Great Boer Trek and clash with the Zulus. A moving victorian tale of adventure and personal loss.
Eric Atkisson
Nov 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful, if tragic tale. Haggard's prose has held up surprisingly well. I can't wait to read the rest of his works.
Thomas Mindy
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this character even more after reading this book. Read Allan Quartermain first.
Apr 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
obviously dated non the less an enjoyable read although the villain was annoyingly awful!
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
wonderfully told a personal story of love and pain.....
অনযানয গুলোর মতো না - তারপরও ভালোই লাগলো অযালান কোযাটারমেইন এর পরথম পরেমের গলপ...... ...more
Courtney Cox
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jason Cummins
Nov 18, 2012
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read, with a somewhat tragic end.
Jay Culpepper
  • Raffles: Further Adventures of the Amateur Cracksman
  • El Dorado: Further Adventures of the Scarlet Pimpernel
  • From the Earth to the Moon and 'Round the Moon
  • Won By The Sword
  • Indiana Jones and the Dance of the Giants (Indiana Jones: Prequels, #2)
  • Indiana Jones and the Philosopher's Stone (Indiana Jones: Prequels, #9)
  • A Transatlantic Tunnel, Hurrah!
  • The Sea-Hawk
  • Quentin Durward
  • Abraham Allegiant (Chronicles of the Nephilim, #4)
  • The Lost Continent: The Story of Atlantis
  • The Gracie Allen Murder Case (A Philo Vance Mystery #11)
  • Romantic As Hell - Tales of Woe, Tips of Woo
  • Myths and Legends of the Sioux
  • The Façade (Façade Saga #1)
  • Modern Mythology
  • Ninety Degrees North
Sir Henry Rider Haggard was an English writer of adventure novels set in exotic locations, predominantly Africa, and the creator of the Lost World literary genre. His stories, situated at the lighter end of the scale of Victorian literature, continue to be popular and influential. He was also involved in agricultural reform and improvement in the British Empire.

His breakout novel was King Solomon
More about H. Rider Haggard...

Allan Quatermain (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • King Solomon's Mines (Allan Quatermain, #1)
  • Allan Quatermain