Start by marking “Tulips & Chimneys: The original 1922 manuscript with the 34 additional poems from '&'” as Want to Read:
Tulips & Chimneys:  The original 1922 manuscript with the 34 additional poems from '&'

4.39  ·  Rating details ·  1,151 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
In concise format, this is a collection of poems which celebrate the uniqueness of each individual, the need to protest against the dehumanizing force of organizations, and the exuberant power of love.
Published October 28th 1976 by Liveright Publishing Corporation (first published 1923)

To ask other readers questions about Tulips & Chimneys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tulips & Chimneys

Jamie Grefe
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I've had this for ten years and this is the first time I've read it. If only I read this earlier in life . . . The first twenty pages or so are gorgeous, but spent too much time in my head and didn't make it into my guts, while the end, the sonnets, especially those last few, are breathtaking. Literally, I couldn't breathe. Whenever I think I'm pushing the boundaries of the way I use language, I need only to flip open this book for a wallop in the jaws, that says, "nice try, back to the drawing ...more
Joe
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read parts of this book before, and I thought reading it would be a different (easier) experience. It is much more difficult to get through than I expected. Even though I grew frustrated with some of the repetition, there are so many poems in this collection that I absolutely adore. I respect the hell out of cummings' experimentation even when I grow tired of it. The old cliché "less is more" rings especially true with regards to his experimentation (at least from the approach of reading th ...more
Emma Stockdale
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
your little voice
Over the wires came leaping
and i felt suddenly
dizzy
With the jostling and shouting of merry flowers
wee skipping high-heeled flames
courtesied before my eyes
or twinkling over to my side
Looked up
with impertinently exquisite faces
floating hands were laid upon me
I was whirled and tossed into delicious dancing
up
Up
with the pale important
stars and the Humorous
moon
dear girl
How i was crazy how i cried when i heard
over time
and tide and death
leaping
Sweetly
your voice
Donovan Richards
Let’s Tear It Down!

Deconstruction is easy. Whenever someone takes a stand, a myriad of critics file out of the woodwork like termites scoping a new meal. Whether it is art, philosophy, theology, political theory, or a position on parenting, the easiest response is a critique—objections to an argument’s premises in order to render the entire idea void.

And Put It Back Together

While I appreciate critical thinking and its ability to sharpen thought, I am inspired by the people who put a stake in the
Jason
Jan 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this! Cummings has a great sense of ironic humor and a mastery of cadence. Here's my favorite stanza:

Humanity i love you because you
are perpetually putting the secret of
life in your pants and forgetting
it's there and sitting down
on it

Chris March
Apr 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's like gorging on bright blue pastels, and then gargling vanilla vodka and Pop Rocks, while listening to rhythms of an unintelligible reading of the Iliad. Oh, and he likes to objectify women :(
Becky Ankeny
As a life-long (or middle-school on) e.e. cummings fan, I am always surprised by how much of his poetry I don't really like. In this first collection (1923), I found several poems to be florid and overdone. For example, "Epithalamion" is filled with classical references I can't get myself to care about. BUT, of course, there are the poems filled with poignancy and sheer loveliness. Cummings' early poetry has themes of love, sex, and death--which, in my opinion, are three of the four main topics ...more
Darwin8u
Apr 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
description

A quick ode to E.E. with ampersands & all( built on the sturdy body of his poem*XV):

come poetry to my crumbling soul
which with nonfiction has conversed in vain,
O noiselessly take thy rhythmic toll,
for iambic feet this frantic heart is fain;
try me with thy accents which have seduced
the acoustic meatus of the deaf & dead,
feed gentility me earwormperused
by whom the quickening tug of time is fed:
& if i like not what thou singest me
to him let me complain, whose page is set
evolvi
kate
Apr 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ee cummings is one of my favourite poets. i love the style of his poems, the games he plays with words and the fact that every time i pick him up the poems are fresh and tripping off the tongue.

this book moves from his early poems through the development of his later style, the subtle sexuality blooming and the breaking down of language to recreate it in a whole new pattern.

the design of the book, (it's oversize, and uses a typewriter style font), frames each poem as it might have originally ap
Valori
Apr 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
"... and you will be the poem i do not write"
Lusu
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-slovak
"keď človek zachcel s vervou ešte väčšou
seba zničiť s celým svetom
z bude vzal bolo najdúc však len prečo
rozmlátil ho hneď na preto"
(str85)
Bethany
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I find myself reading tulips and chimneys whilst on a busy train. I take it all in. I can't remember when I first read e.e. cummings but I've dipped into this book for months even when my eyes have wavered to other distractions I’ve been pulled back into it. It definitely provides me with suitable hilarity to feed hungover brain fuzz. Probably something to do with his general silliness but also very candid unapologetic thoughts. Yes he objectifies women and yes he also gathers and collects words ...more
Jenny
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge fan of EE Cummings and was really excited to finally have the chance to go through a considerable number of his poems in a collection. His style varied greatly from subcollection to subcollection but there was still a sort of signature rhythm that ran through each poem. Although I loved most of his work, I found reading his sonnets rather tedious and put the book down multiple times for varying lengths of boredom during these sections. I guess I'm not a particularly big fan of repetit ...more
K8
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, 2012
Favorites:

in Just- spring when the world is mud

little tree little silent Christmas tree

but the other day i was passing a certain

goodbye Betty,don't remember me

and what were roses. Perfume?for i do

this is the garden:colours come and go,

it is at moments after i have dreamed

it may not always be so;and i say

if i learned darkness from our searched world

who's most afraid of death?thou

a wind has blown the rain away and blown

when my love comes to see me it's

the mind is its own beautiful prisoner.

my love
metaphor
in the rain-
darkness, the sunset
being sheathed i sit and
think of you
my mind is
a big hunk of irrevocable nothing
a wind has blown the rain away and blown
the sky away and all the leaves away,
and the trees stand. I think i too have known
autumn too long

(and what have you to say,
wind wind wind—did you love somebody
and have you the petal of somewhere in your heart
pinched from dumb summer?
the mind is its own beautiful prisoner.
J.A.
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This is not my favorite of his collections, but has some of my favorite poems. In just spring- , Buffalo Bill. I'm reading Cummings' work start to finish again, and it's nice to remember where he began, how it looked at the very front. Also, interesting note from this particular reading: the word 'handorgan' appears twice and the word 'annihilation' three times.
Cami
Sep 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, favorites
Easily my favorite collection of e.e. cummings poetry (it's also the largest. A correlation? possibly)
It contains many poems that lean to a more romantic or sensual nature. There are some a-hemthat are better avoided.
Includes favorite of mine:
when god lets my body be
your little voice
over the wires came leaping
SNO
it may not always be so;and i say

Kimberly
Feb 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My roommate suggested this, and had me start with "La Guerre." I feel so alive when I read it, and question why I don't read more poetry. cummings placement of words on the page, their relationship to one another, only heightens the effect of his imagery. These poems hold a beautiful and tangible sense of longing. Perfect for spring, or anyone who's coping with lost love.
Chelle
Sep 22, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's not easy to get through but I do not mean that in a negative way. For me it was a challenge, being that his language can be tough to decipher. The first section is very intersting and the book does have a flow, at times it seems to be loose. From what I remember, there was a lot about women, heartbreak, relationships of some sort, and some dark themes.
Katie
Apr 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cummings does not disappoint in his usual subject areas. I have always loved his Seasons, and he hits love and passion in this collection with a dose of grit and crudeness that brought humor into his writing.
Greg
Cinder blocks & Poptarts.
Aug 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kirk and I both love ee cummings and this book in particular has some lovely lovely poems.
Kate
Sep 11, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: believers in magic
Shelves: poetry
this one is good too, treasures lurking around every corner.
Eliza
Oct 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beloved
«if i believe
in death be sure
of this
it is

because you have loved me»
Alexa
Sep 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all
i think i figured out poetry has as much of a backbeat as music does from this man.
viva e.e. !
Sharon
Nov 15, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh dear...
Anna
May 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Damn good, just not as good as "100 Selected Poems."
Mike
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite book of poetry by my favorite poet.
SJ Loria
O sweet spontenous earth! Such a great poem.
the dress was a suspicious madder, importing the cruely of roses.

"your sex squeaked like a billiard-cue / chalking itself."
Zaiga
Jan 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure why, but his poetry left my head spinning. But in a good way!
Mentor Texts: Mentor Texts 1 2 May 07, 2017 04:25PM
  • Selected Poems II: 1976 - 1986
  • Dancing in Odessa
  • The End of Beauty
  • The Collected Poems, 1956-1998
Edward Estlin Cummings was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, on October 14, 1894. He began writing poems as early as 1904 and studied Latin and Greek at the Cambridge Latin High School.

He received his BA in 1915 and his MA in 1916, both from Harvard University. His studies there introduced him to the poetry of avant-garde writers, such as Gertrude Stein and Ezra Pound.

In 1917, Cummings published a
More about E.E. Cummings...
“in Just-
spring          when the world is mud-
luscious the little
lame balloonman

whistles          far          and wee

and eddieandbill come
running from marbles and
piracies and it's
spring

when the world is puddle-wonderful

the queer
old balloonman whistles
far          and          wee
and bettyandisbel come dancing

from hop-scotch and jump-rope and

it's

fingers of April
resolved

into a
clutter of trite jewels

now like a moth with stumbling

wings flutters and flops along the
grass collides with trees and
houses and finally,