Start by marking “A Long Way from Tipperary: What a Former Monk Discovered in His Search for the Truth” as Want to Read:

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  84 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews

I have spent thirty years reconstructing the historical Jesus. I have done so self-consciously and self-critically and have tried to do the same on reconstructing myself. But what justifies this memoir is how my own personal experience, from Ireland to America, from priest to professor, from monastery to university, and ... from celibacy to marriage, may have influenced th
Published October 20th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published May 30th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about A Long Way from Tipperary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Long Way from Tipperary

Matt
Apr 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are speculations which are controversial in Crossan's reconstruction of the Historical Jesus. One cannot however say anything negative about the man.

This book is not simply a collection of Crossan's memoirs, but a portrait of how he developed his faith and how that faith interacts with his research on the historical Jesus.

The narrative follows Crossan's boyhood, through his years in Servites as a monk and priest, then through his decision to leave the order in order to Marry and because h
James
Apr 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read quite a bit of Crossan and have heard him speak, and so it was a treat to read his story. He acknowledges the critique that his view of the historical Jesus as a Mediterranean peasant in a subjugated land is informed by his childhood in Ireland, but goes no further. He shares painful moments in his life including the death of his first wife, and his decision to leave the priesthood. He keeps a difficult balance in loving the Catholic church and criticizing its hierarchy.

He uses his ow
Marie
Oct 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This was my first Crossan book, which may not be the best way to go about it. I was very intrigued by some of his theology, and the anecdotes about growing up as an Irish altar boy were interesting and amusing. His stated purpose was to look at how his own life experiences may have influenced his construction of the historical Jesus, and I never quite saw that connection realized. Rather, he seemed to switch back and forth between the two. I suppose that's not a bad format for the memoir of a th ...more
CD
Crossan has lately (early March 2011) made the press and I thought it time to start adding several of his works that I've read in the not too distant past. I'll review/comment on this and two others in the near future. He is one of several modern theologians that I've read whose modern views, and thus not always popular among the establishment, are refreshing and that embrace the modern world and true scholarship.

Roger
Oct 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure, at first, what I would think of this book. I was pleasantly surprised. Although I still don't agree with all of his theology or history, Crossan made some very poignant and timely points.
Marian Allen
Crossan does a good job of sharing his autobiography, the growth of his scholarship and the path of his faith journey.
Richard
May 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This spiritual autobiography gave me a great deal of insight into the heart, spirit and character of one of my favorite Christian thinkers.
Susan
Oct 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book immensely. Crossan is quietly witty and though provoking. The book was a well-executed blend of autobiography and religious thought. I admire his work.
Paul
Jul 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
A great autobiography. Such an extraordinary life. I greatly admire Crossan and think he is a pretty cool guy.
Tom Thees
very good read
Carol
Nov 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating and very honest about his own ongoing spiritual journey
David Ruth
Aug 14, 2010
Brad Laycock
Apr 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
John Dominic Crossan is generally regarded as the leading historical Jesus scholar in the world. He is the author of several bestselling books, including The Historical Jesus, Jesus: A Revolutionary Biography, The Birth of Christianity, and Who Killed Jesus? He lives in Clermont, Florida.

John Dominic Crossan was born in Nenagh County in Tipperary, Ireland, in 1934. He was educated in Ireland and
More about John Dominic Crossan...