Start by marking “Ten Apples Up On Top!” as Want to Read:
Ten Apples Up On Top!

Ten Apples Up On Top!

Learning to count has never been more fun than in this crazy tale of a dog, a lion and a tiger all showing off how many apples they can balance on their heads as they skip, walk the tightrope and roller skate their way through the book.

This delightful book forms part of the second stage in HarperCollins’ major Dr. Seuss rebrand programme. With the relaunch of 10 more title
Published August 4th 2003 by HarperCollinsChildren’sBooks (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Ten Apples Up On Top!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten Apples Up On Top!

Start your review of Ten Apples Up On Top!
Matt
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What better story premise than three animals trying to best one another with apple stacking, only to have the town try to plot their defeat? This Beginner Book does just that, with three friends trying to stack one more apple atop their heads to best the others. When they both reach ten, others are out to get them and have one goal in mind: knock off them there apples. It's a race around town as these three seek to keep their ten apples from toppling, but someone will soon knock over the apple c ...more
Martin
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Not a cozy mystery, not a YA coming of age, not latest in fantasy, but a balancing puzzle with ever increasing goals

description

Warning! Professional artists created the story and pictures

description

Beware of artificial apples - only use the approved fruit

description

Filmed under controlled conditions.
Do not attempt this without parental supervision

description

Can our hero keep ten apples up on top while escaping a maddened bear with a mop?
You didn't see that one coming did you?
Plus a bonus video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB-5s..
Amy
Jul 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read every Dr. Seuss book out there and have loved all of them, but this one gets extra kudos, because not only did it help my daughter learn how to count, it also encouraged her love of books! This was one of her absolute favorites as she was learning how to read all by herself and she read it repeatedly. The illustrations by Roy McKie are adorably simple, great book!
David Sarkies
Feb 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, poetry
A Balancing Act
21 February 2020 - Berri

Here I am, sitting in a motel in the Riverland in South Australia with some time to kill before the local distillery opens. So, I did what I normally do when I have some time to kill and that is read a Dr Seuss book, and this was the one that was at hand.

So, we have three animals, a lion, a tiger, and a dog, who are having a competition to see how many apples that they can balance on their heads. Well, as you can probably guess, they manage to get to ten
Loraine
This early reader is filled with rollicking fun, repeated rhymes and wonderful animals. It will delight the eyes and ears of little ones and tickle the tongues of early readers. My grandson pronounced it one of his favorites as he practiced his early reading skills and fluency.

The storyline is also delightful. First the animal friends are competing to see how many apples they can carry on their heads. Then the bears chase them to get the apples. Finally, the apples are all shared and the animals
Nostalgia Reader
Came across this in a box of old books from childhood and flipped through it. All I can do is cringe at every page. APPLES CANNOT SUSTAIN BALANCE LIKE THIS, OH MY GOODNESS WHY HAVEN'T THEY FALLEN YET???? *cringe-sobs in the corner*

Deeply unsettling.

Fun rhymes though!
Calista
The kids thought animals balancing apples on their heads was funny. I read this as a kid too. A silly story for bedtime. An oldie and a goody. Quaint pictures.
Sarah Sammis
Although I was a huge Dr. Seuss fan as a child, I missed Ten Apples Up on Top until my son started reading it. I probably missed it because he originally published it under his Theo LeSieg pseudonym. My son first discovered the edited board book version and the graduated to the full version in first grade. He in turn read it to his sister so now both children love it.

Ten Apples Up on Top is the story of three rollerskating friends, a lion, a dog and a tiger and their competition to see who can b
Jason
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-to-cass
You can see why Dr Seuss did this under a different name, awful stuff. Rubbish illustrations, poor rhyming and it makes the counting a bit confusing, with its repeating and sudden counting down. Not impressed at all so it gets 2*, I read this to my daughter, might get her to read it instead, see if the book has a better effect then.
Lara Lamb
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a good book to use to help students learn how to count and could easily be coupled with a number of sensory activities and crafts.
Kristin
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Book summary: This is the book I used for poetry. It is not an award winnign book but so fun to read. Its about animals showing the number of apples they can balance on their head up to ten. This book rhymes and has fun colorful pictures. Just such a joy to read.
Grade level: PreK-1
Appropriate classroom use: I would like to use this book for two lessons. One for rhyming because it can be hard for kids to learn to rhyme, and another for counting. This book counts up to ten and down from ten. It w
Karin
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Counting Book
LeSieg, Theo (pseud). [Dr. Seuss]. Ten Apples Up On Top! (1961).
This silly Beginner Book by Dr. Seuss invites children to count along as a lion, a dog, and a tiger compete to see who can balance the most apples on their head. The competition escalates to a frenetic pace as the three characters decide to hop, skate, and drink while balancing apples in an effort to outdo each other. But with an angry bear on their tails, and a bunch of hungry birds after them will they be able to keep
Heather
I had never read this as a child and was pleased to find it.

We first used it as an early reader, but it works great as a read-aloud for little guys too. The words are fairly easy and mainly phonetic or sight words. It's fun and has a good rhythm as well.

This book would also work well for math - counting as apples are added and taken away, as additional people join, etc.
Erika Bichet
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: el230
Ten Apples Up on Top can be a great book to incorporate into a counting lesson. It's an easier read because of the rhyme scheme, and the illustrations are colorful and attention grabbing. Students will be drawn to the story without realizing they are counting. I will have this book in my future classroom.
Lesley
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
still have this book from when I was a kid!
Laura McLoughlin
Somehow we ended up with 2 copies of this board book. When we hide one from the toddler (because we've just read it 10 times in a row) he will find the 2nd copy...sigh
Bronwyn
Another we’ve read a lot and I’ve never logged! I like this one a lot. It has fun rhymes and counting to ten (and a little backwards from seven).
David
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-my-youth
Read this as a kid, but I liked it much more when I read it to my daughter.
Ten_zillions
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 123s, ga-pre-k
Dr. Seuss never fails. This as a great counting book, but done in a silly and fun way. It introduces rhyming words and repetitive phrases. As usual, it offers amusing illustrations.

Reham
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ten apples up on top 5-6

I like this book very much as it is very simple with very nice colors. This book is teaching the children the numbers 1 to 10 in a very simple and interesting way which is very good for children who just started to learn the math concepts. This book teaches children how to challenge themselves also, when those animals are trying to put the apples on their head without giving up trying. I like also the rhythmic and the sequence of this story too such as “Apples apples up o
SaraLaLa
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
If you like rhyming, counting, lions, tigers, and what I can only assume is a dog interacting with each other, then this book is for you! Well... maybe, maybe not. I love all of those things, but I honestly make my husband read this to our infant at night because I'd rather read the other Dr. Seuss books to her.

I think the counting is "too advanced" for my daughter at this stage. Not because they count to ten, but because it's quick paced and a lot of apples (up to 10 on each character) on a p
Christina
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Counting book
LeSieg, Theo (Dr. Suess). Tenn Applies Up On Top! New York: Random House Books, 1961.
In this spirited and engaging counting book, a lion, a dog, and a tiger compete to see how many apples they can balance on top of their heads. When the competition gets fierce, they each show what they can do while balancing the apples: jumping rope, roller skating, and even balancing on an electrical line! After counting along, young readers will find out who will be able to stack "ten apples up
Emily Pinson
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A dog, a lion, and a tiger have a competition to see who can stack 10 apples on their head. They all get to ten, but everyone in the town is determined to knock them off, so they start chasing them. Things start to get crazy and the animals are headed right for a truck load of apple running down hill. When they go barreling into the truck and the clutter clears, they all still have 10 apples atop their heads!!
Dr. Seuss always has great children's books that capture the attention of children. Thi
Kunaal
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing

I started with Oh, The Places You'll Go! then moved to reading other books from Dr.Seuss. Interestingly my neighbour's kid has also started reading one of his books. It was highly entertaining experience reading this book with him.

When you I read the book, I had no expressions. When my neighbour's kid was reading the book, the variety of expressions he gave was simply superb to watch.

Now I have a friend along with whom I can read story books. Time to get some more if this experience.

Hannah Marshall
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Though this is a very quick read, I enjoy this book. It brings in the aspect of counting but doesn’t present it like most counting books do. Most counting books would have a number be on each page and maybe show pictures of corresponding number of items that go with that number but not make it into a story. This book has a set plot, yet still includes counting as the characters are competing against each other to see who can have the most apples on their head. You can’t go wrong with a classic D ...more
Melissa
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melissa by: Amy Shay
A lion, a tiger, and a dog go roller skating and have the brilliant idea of balancing apples on their heads while they skate! Naturally, hilarity ensues as they try to balance more and more apples. This book cracked me (and my husband) up! I think it's the utter disregard for physics that makes it more fun. Young readers will delight in the simple verse, basic counting skills, and I can only assume will bruise many an apple in their own balancing attempts :-)
Brandice Harrison
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great Dr. Seuss book. This book is rhyming and has counting in it as well. This can be used for a math lesson about counting. The teacher can actually bring in apples for an activity on counting. The children can count as the teacher reads each page as well so they are involved. The children can point out the rhyming words during a lesson on rhyming words. It is a great book that a teacher can use for several math or rhyming word activities.
Tamara GTC
As always I love the crazy illustrations. A great read for youngsters learning to count in proper sequence. The animals are very competitive in trying to out due the next animal while balancing more and more apples on their head. Things get crazy for a minute near the end of book but in the end everyone sees how much fun apples on top can be.
Sophonie Joseph-Canel
First let me just say I love this authors books. This book is a great rhyming book so it is good if you want to point out words for language and literacy. It is also a great book for mathematics as the reader will be counting from one through 10. This book makes counting fun and exciting you can read this to your preschool class or even a youngYounger class. This book is great for all ages.
Christie
Mar 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All of my children have been obsessed with this book so I'm not surprised my almost 2 year old keeps asking to read the "apple book". We love it so very much we have a board book and a regular hardback.
APK files are analogous to other software 1 1 Nov 21, 2017 06:10AM

• I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!
  • Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?
  • Go, Dog. Go!
  • Put Me in the Zoo
  • There's a Wocket in My Pocket!
  • Hop On Pop
  • The Shape of Me and Other Stuff
  • Dr. Seuss's ABC: An Amazing Alphabet Book!
  • Are You My Mother?
  • A Fly Went By
  • The Cat in the Hat Comes Back
  • The Ear Book (Bright & Early Books)
  • The Foot Book: Dr. Seuss's Wacky Book of Opposites
  • Oh, the Thinks You Can Think!
  • Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb