Start by marking “Back to the Moon” as Want to Read:
Back to the Moon

Back to the Moon

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  340 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
The shuttle is hijacked. Now the countdown to adventure begins....

In his #1 New York Times bestselling memoir, October Sky, real-life NASA engineer Homer Hickam captured the excitement of America's first space ventures. Now, in this no-holds-barred joyride of a thriller, he straps us into the cockpit of the space shuttle Columbia as a renegade rocket man hijacks the shuttl
Published June 20th 1999 by Dell (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Back to the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Back to the Moon

Jonathan H.
I'm not much of a fiction reader, and this book unfortunately reinforced my tastes rather than making me eager to read more fiction. I have to imagine that Mr. Hickam, as a former NASA engineer, had his tongue very firmly planted in his cheek as he wrote the book. It's so full of incredulous events and technical impossibilities that if you did not know Mr. Hickam's background, you'd think it was written by someone who knew nothing about how spacecraft actually work and just set out to pen a thri ...more
Jim Brohard
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very fun to read. this is the second book I've read by Mr. Hickam and I look forward to reading many more.
Rick Chesler
I was looking for a good space thriller that involved the moon--something realistic and not totally science fiction with now-impossible traveling to other galaxies or planets and such. So seeing that (1) this novel was titled BACK TO THE MOON and (2) was written by real-life former NASA engineer Homer Hickam, Jr. (author of NYT #1 bestseller Rocket Boys), I decided to buy and read it. Overall, I was not disappointed (I'd rate it 3.5 stars if I could).

**********SPOILERS AHEAD***************

The go
D.w.
Jan 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, reviewed
I like Hickam's semi-autobiographical accounts of growing up in Coal Wood. Of being a Rocket Boy. Those are amongst the best I have ever read, and that ability to bring character of course to himself, as well as the child he was at the time is tremendous. And one should mention that he brings character to Coal Wood and all its environs and people much as Kellior does with Lake Woebegone. We are immersed.

Turing to this entire work of fiction, we see the NASA space program as he does, as an inside
Claudia
Mixed feelings about this book. While I truly and deeply enjoyed the author's trilogy of memoirs, the tree hugger in me bristled when he advocated a real life return to the moon because the earth is running out of energy generating resources. So, what, are we to pillage the moon now to continue to feed our greed?

Very timely book. Although written in 1999, it strikes a resonant chord during this current economic collapse while the many suffer the consequences of the few's untrammeled greed.

The
Siri Fiction
Mar 03, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: do-not-own
I liked the idea of this book... a Space book written by an actual NASA engineer and his NASA buddies.

For the first 1/2 or so, I couldn't put it down. Well, I could, but I was really interested in what happened next. Then the author awkwardly threw in this love connection between two of the main characters and I could barely pick the book up. Not only was the writing awkward but the characters were awkward. I was rather disappointed. Took me forever to actually finish it. He also seemed fond of
James
Nov 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Homer Hickman's first book-length fiction, published in 1999. It is an adult, page-turning scientific thriller with lots of insider information about NASA. Like all of Homer's books, this one also has comic situations that will have readers laughing out loud. But when Homer shifts gears and the drama kicks in, the action is incredible. Back to the Moon, besides being a heart-pounding adventure, is a wonderful, sensuous love story of the near future like only Homer can tell. Hickman is th ...more
Valley Cottage Library
SUMMER READING CLUB: "This is a gripping adventure novel of space travel and intrigue. The writer gives technical details of space engineering and the running of a space craft. Jack Medaris hijacks the space shuttle Columbia for a trip to the moon. His plans go awry because Penny Hightower becomes an unexpected passenger and Hoppy, the pilot, is shot and dies. In addition to the dangers of space travel, various schemes and plots on the ground make the trip more dangerous than usual. If you are a ...more
Eric
Jul 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun, fascinating book, even if at times it stretches credulity. It's well-paced and does a fine job of mixing scientific jargon with the action without bogging down the story or boring the reader. The dialog between Medaris and High Eagle gets a bit corny at times, but that's no big deal.

I especially liked the conservative sentiments expressed near the end of the novel. But I won't spoil it for anyone.
Jennifer H
Mar 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I read this book it was really timely. It's an interesting story, but I think the best part about reading this book is that it's amazingly current. With the administration destroying the NASA program, the seach for energy sources, it's very relevant. And fun. Who wouldn't want to hijack a space shuttle??
Cheryl
Feb 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
I would highly recommend this book to any engineer who has ever dreamed of going to the moon. As for the rest of us, maybe keep notes on all of the acronyms (JSC, RCS, etc) and just take the author's word on it for the technical parts.
Pat
Feb 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this fiction story of a possibility of a return to the moon by Homer Hickam. Thought it would have made a good movie. Hickam graduated from the coal mines of West Virginia to work for NASA; so he has a credible basis for the tale.
Patrick
Dec 05, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked Hickam's memoir "Rocket Boys" much better. This novel is interesting conceptually, but it suffers from cliches and from stilted dialog.
Robert Vandiver
interesting read-although it seemed a little too far fetched in places
Jessica
Couldn't put this book down! Full of adventure. There are a few sexual references in the book. Beware.
Jim Brohard
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just started reading it and it is great! I'll update my review after I finish it.
Jill
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book, no particular complaints. October Sky was a very different book and will always be the "best" but I thought Back to the Moon was fascinating.
Lynnette
A fun read about the possibility of a return trip to the moon.
Gabriel Reyes
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Not my favorite from Mr. Hickam but definitely fun to read.
Daniel Kasbohm
The first half was slow for me. It picked up near the end but I never really fell in love with the characters...
Clay Davis
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun book to read. It took a little suspending of disbelief but I enjoyed the journey both in space and on earth.
Parish
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Didn't hold up on the second read.
Pat Knight
A good read - loaded with action. One problem is solved only to have another pop up.
Denise
Jun 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can see this becoming a movie one day. There is intrigue, kidnapping, space-hijacking to go to the moon. Also a love story.
Rebecca
Oct 26, 2009
Jamie Frank Dodson
Oct 20, 2013
Amy
rated it did not like it
Apr 11, 2010
Apr 03, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Wake of the Perdido Star
  • The Best of All Possible Wars
  • Simplexity: Why Simple Things Become Complex (and How Complex Things Can Be Made Simple)
  • Dance for Two: Essays
  • Zorba the Hutt's Revenge (Star Wars: Jedi Prince, #3)
  • Stargate
  • First on the Moon: A Voyage with Neil Armstrong, Michael Collins, Edwin E. Aldrin, Jr.
  • Boswell's Presumptuous Task: The Making of the Life of Dr. Johnson
  • Realtime Interrupt
  • Opus 100
  • Philip K. Dick is Dead, Alas
  • Orbital Resonance (Century Next Door, #1)
  • Moonwar (The Grand Tour, #6; Moonbase Saga, #2)
  • The Golden Globe (Star Wars: Junior Jedi Knights, #1)
  • The Fortunate Fall
  • Great Mambo Chicken And The Transhuman Condition: Science Slightly Over The Edge
  • Table of Contents
  • Mars Plus (Man Plus #2)
Homer Hickam (also known as Homer H. Hickam, Jr.) is the author of many best-sellers including his latest, Carrying Albert Home. An eclectic writer, he wrote the "Coalwood Series," which includes the # 1 New York Times best-selling memoir Rocket Boys, the popular World War II-era "Josh Thurlow" series, the juvenile sci-fi "Crater" series, the adult thriller The Dinosaur Hunter, the romantic Red He ...more
More about Homer Hickam...