Start by marking “Rob Carrick's Guide to What's Good, Bad and Downright Awful in Canadian Investments Today” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  42 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
From the author of How to Pay Less and Keep More for Yourself, the essential Canadian investment guide.

This is the kind of investment advice that Canadians crave, at a time when they need it most: super-savvy, easy to use, and written in a no-nonsense, take-no-prisoners style that's often outrageously outspoken.

Rob Carrick is a highly respected Globe and Mail columnist and
Published December 29th 2009 by Doubleday Canada (first published December 24th 2009)

Be the first to ask a question about Rob Carrick's Guide to What's Good, Bad and Downright Awful in Canadian Investments Today

Laura (Kyahgirl)
I recommend this book to anyone looking at getting more involved in managing their investments. The book covers different investment vehicles as well as some fundamentals of dealing with the industry (discount brokers, financial advisers).

The best part of Carrick's book is that is is loaded with lists of good and bad mutual funds, ETFs, stocks, investment companies, and websites that are excellent resources. Canadian DIY investors should put this on their 'must read' list.
Jenny
Jul 27, 2011 rated it liked it
A good book, one whose advise I'd like to follow - if I wasn't already embarking on a tricky journey with a financial adviser right now. I need to navigate that relationship first.

However, a couple things I want to retain:

He recommends the TD e-Series of Index funds and the TD Canadian Bond fund.

Also: useful investment calculators include Ativa Interactive, Fiscal Agents, and the Compound Interest Calculator.
Clint
Oct 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
You must read this book if you're Canadian and:

You're thinking of managing your own investments,
Looking for a financial advisor,
Don't completely understand what your financial advisor is telling you,
Are thinking about building a nice balanced portfolio of ETF's, or
Don't understand what that last point means.

A great book, written in a clear, easy-to-digest manner.
Keith Brooks
Jun 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Simple and good advice. Very helpful for portfolio strategy and ETFs.
Jenna (Falling Letters)
I have my first meeting about investing at the bank tomorrow. I don't want to go in totally ignorant, so I went to the library and got a couple of books. This was one of just a few books from a Canadian perspective. While his first book might have been a better introduction for me, this one was easy to read and gave me some foundational knowledge. I like how the chapters are broken up. I first read the mutual fund and choosing an adviser chapters (most relevant for tomorrow), then read the other ...more
Carolyn
Feb 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Before investing in Canada, every newbie should read this book. After reading this you'll be confident enough to make a decision to be a DIY investore.
Gene