Start by marking “Mass Effect: Redemption” as Want to Read:
Mass Effect: Redemption

Mass Effect: Redemption

(Mass Effect Graphic Novels #1)

Mass Effect 2 lead writer Mac Walters reveals an essential moment in the life of Commander Shepard, the galaxy's greatest hero, only in Mass Effect: Redemption! The eagerly anticipated sequel to the blockbuster science-fiction epic IGN.com named the #1 Xbox 360 game of all time, Mass Effect 2 begins with the disappearance of Commander Shepard. The story of what happens ...more
Published June 8th 2010 by Dark Horse Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Mass Effect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mass Effect

Start your review of Mass Effect: Redemption
Paige (Enchantology)
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Main takeaway from this: why is there not a single female contributing to a graphic novel following a female character? TOO MUCH MALE GAZE. IT BURNS MY EYES.
Jon Nakapalau
A friend recommended this book. I found it a nice stand alone story that weaves a tale of action and betrayal.
Justin
Mar 27, 2012 rated it liked it
First and foremost, for those who feel like making a glib remark about Mass Effect 3: I haven’t reached the end yet, and have no intention of joining your gibbering horde of self-involved diaper babies should I end up being disappointed with it. So, shut up.

Okay. Now, I’m a big fan of Bioware’s games, but after being thoroughly underwhelmed by David Gaider’s debut novelization of the Dragon Age universe, I’ve largely gone back to my tried and true philosophy of avoiding game tie-ins. I’ve heard
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
Mass Effect: Redemption is the first int he graphic novel series surrounding the events of the original Mass Effect trilogy and this takes place right after ME2. Commander Shepard is missing, and Dr. Liara T’Soni is trying to figure out just what has happened the body. In the process she runs into a lot of trouble, some sketchy criminal groups, and the Shadow Broker.

This is meant to shed some light on just what happened in the blank spaces between the fact that we know: that Liara was
Silas
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy Mass Effect. I have read a number of the novels, but this is the ghost graphic novel that I have read. There is quite a bit less content than from the games or novels, but overall, it matched the look and tone of the game with some minor exceptions. Liara's outfits are more revealing than in the game, and the artist depicts her in provocative positions, which is rather unnecessary. Biotics are handled very differently, as well, with Liara using them mostly in martial arts moves ...more
Eliza
cons: typical bioware female objectification, gratuitous terrible titty armor
pros: feron backstory, i got to see liara go apeshit and kill a bunch of people
Terry
Aug 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gaming
The Normandy is destroyed and Commander Shepard is feared dead. However his body, regardless of its condition, is the prize in a contest pitting the Illusive Man against the Shadow Broker. Between them is Dr. Liara T'Soni, formerly part of Shepard’s crew, who’s gone rogue to uncover the mystery surrounding Shepard’s disappearance.

Reading like a space opera with a noir twist, the Dark Horse graphic novel finds Liara at Omega, a massive space station in the Terminus system acting as the dark
Peter
Nov 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
The plot of Redemption centres on Liara T'soni, and her involvement in the events between the first two Mass Effect games. It's interesting to see some of the conflict surrounding the recovery of Shepard's body, and how Cerberus was involved at a distance. It doesn't cover anything particularly new in this regard, but it's at least nice to fill in some gaps.

What I found more interesting about the plot was the origins of Liara's enmity with the Shadow Broker. The extent of his involvement in the
Sesana
Sep 13, 2011 rated it liked it
A Mass Effect tie in, set between the events of the first and second games. We all know that it was Liara who retrieved Shep's body and delivered it to Cerberus, and most of what happened on that mission. This comic fills in the very few blanks. It's a lot less necessary than the other ME tie ins that I've read, that there's not a lot of added information. We do, however, get to meet a salarian that could give a krogan a tough time, so that was fun. Liara was somewhat out of character here, very ...more
Joshua
Jun 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mass Effect Fans
Mass Effect: Redemption is a tie-in between the end of Mass Effect 1 and the beginning of Mass Effect 2. The story follows Liara T'Soni in her hunt to find the whereabout of the missing Commander Shepard.

While it doesn't truly add a lot to the overall plot of the Mass Effect series, it does bridge the gap of some questions that you might have after playing through Mass Effect 2. Such as, why is the Shadow Broker against Liara? How did the Illusive Man and Cerberus end up with Commander Shepard?
Marlowe
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Redemption follows the search for Commander Shepard's body, taking place after Shepard's disappearance at the beginning of Mass Effect 2.

I'd venture to call myself something of a Mass Effect fan, and it's the story and characters that have always drawn me to the series (as well as BioWare's other big'un, Dragon Age). Unfortunately, this comic doesn't have much of either.

The plot follows Liara T'Soni in her search for Shepard's body, but she isn't alone. Cerberus and the Shadow Broker are both
Christopher Wolbert
Oct 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Good background story to one of my top 5 all time video games.
Anirudh
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Strictly for Mass Effect fans but man this was so much fun!
William Johnson
The Mass Effect universe might be my all-time favorite universe. With the recent release of Mass Effect 3, in which I have spent 56 hours since March 6th living in every night, non-stop, I decided to bone up on the things I missed. Redemption is one of those things. . .and by reading it, I am backtracking a little since it is a prequel of sorts to Mass Effect 2.

No matter. . .since I've spent 255 hours total in Mass Effect 1, 2, and now 3 (10.9 days to be more precise) and have read three of the
Sassa Mifrass
Jun 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
I am a die-hard Mass Effect fan. Bioware has told some brilliant stories with ME1 and 2, and I am eagerly anticipating the third installment.

This comic bridging ME1 and ME2 doesn't pack the same emotional punch, sadly. That said, if you're already a fan, it is worth reading just to see a beefy, rambo-style Salarian. Yeah, Salarian. I also found the info about the way the Shadow Broker ran his operations to be interesting.

I was hoping for some insight into the transition of awkward!Liara to
Jose
Nov 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Read this on darkhorse.com, 4 issues story.
For me the thrill was reviewing old characters, known locations and get some extra info on the universe and the hidden plot. This takes place between Mass Effect 1 and 2, btw.
It was very nice, good storytelling.
The art was spot on, the writing believable, the action remined me of the game and the snippets of info deserving of the 1,99 price point of each issue (i got them on a sales).
[Rant: cover price 3,50 is too expensive but comics are getting this
Ithlilian
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm cleaning up my comic collection to prepare for the beach and this was first on the list. I've been in the Mass Effect mood lately with notification sounds on my phone, so I'm in the right frame of mind to enjoy this. Even better, I did enjoy it. It is always good to have some storyline gaps filled in and I appreciate the additional glimpses into the characters. Something felt a little off with Liara that didn't quite fit how I remember her from the games, but otherwise no complaints here. ...more
Tabby-cat053
Mass Effect: Redemption- Four-issue comic book
Written by- Mac Walters
Art by- Omar Francia

Overall Thoughts- I found ME: Redemption to be an okay read for any Mass Effect fan, but has quite a bit of problems when you look at it with a critical eye. One of my main issues with this comic is it's characters. (I'll go more in-depth in my character section)

Should you read it?- Maybe if you're a diehard Mass Effect fan. You might be disappointed in the end, but I can understand if you can't help to
Michael
**Spoilers for anyone who has not played Mass Effect 2**

Taking place between Mass Effect 1 and 2, or more specifically, the Prologue of 2 and the main game itself. It details how Cerberus acquired Sheperd's body following the attack on the Normandy during the game's prologue, and why Liara became involved with hunting down The Shadow Broker.

As might be expected with a story involving Cerberus and The Shadow Broker, not everything is as it seems as Liara seeks to track down Sheperd's body. The
Lou (Lou and Life)
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I picked this graphic novel up because I listen to the Mass Effect soundtrack when I study, and it makes me really nostalgic for the games. I also wanted a quick read that wouldn't distract me too much from my studies, and I was feeling Sci-Fi, so this was the perfect fit.

The book is set near the beginning of Mass Effect 2, after the effects of the Normandy...
It follows Liara T'Soni and her pursuit of Commander Shepard. This graphic novel gives you the backstory between Liara/Feron's
Jake
Dec 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Let me start by saying, i'm a huge Mass Effect fan, so it was great to read something set in the universe.

I find Liara as a character a little boring and flat, but this story was still ok, with a nice mix of action and character interaction.

The artwork is hit or miss, readers will be inundated with gorgeous fights, biotic powers, and cityscapes , but then shown a wonky rendition of Miranda, whose face looks mushed and rushed.

Overall enjoyable, but nothing too special, and doesn't really do
Reeter
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Yeesh. So, I loved the Mass Effect video games (I even love Andromeda. There I said it.), but I remember not wanting to read any of the books or comics, but not the reason why. Now, I know.

The only thing I liked was that they didn't gender Shepard, which I found pretty damn impressive. I was expecting Shepard to be canonically male, so good on the writers for that, and even throwing a joke in there. Good. Worth a gold star.
Chloe
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
I didn't enjoy this as much as the last ME novel I read, but liked it for the extra lore not in the games. I didn't appreciate my darling Liara being in such revealing outfits and drawn in provocative positions either =p
Cynthia
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a prelude to Mass Effect 2. It was well done. The art and story are good and make sense. It follows Liara and her quest to recover Shepard's body. If you like Mass Effect's story and plot then you will like this graphic novel.
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not usually a reader of graphic novels but Mass Effect is my favourite game of all time so I have wanted to read these for a while. Very pleasantly surprised but I do think you have to be familiar with the games in order to enjoy it!
Rickard Falk
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Cool tie-in story. I really like how well it connects to the games.
The art is quite nice although I it weirds me out that Miranda doesn't look like she does the games.
Definitely worth reading if you like the games.
Nara
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, sci-fi
this comic book is one of the best prequels to an awesome DLC of the Mass Effect 2.
João Calafate
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it
The story might not be anything special, but it's always an amazing experience going back to the Mass Effect universe.
Wendy
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun, quick read. Nice illustrations with sketchbook at the end. If you like the Mass Effect video games, you'll like this graphic novel.
Ethan
Oct 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
I can't speak for the artwork too much, since I don't read many comic books. That said, Liara looks nothing like Liara in games, and the periodic arbitrary ass-shots are a bit cringey, so it's fair to say that I'm not much impressed by the art style employed.

The bigger problem here is the writing. Here we get the first taste of Mac Walters leading the Mass Effect series to its infamous conclusion. Liara resembles not at all the shy, naive, cloistered scientist of ME1. She's been turned into a
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Mass Effect: Revelation (Mass Effect, #1)
  • Mass Effect: Retribution (Mass Effect, #3)
  • Mass Effect: Ascension (Mass Effect, #2)
  • The Art of the Mass Effect Universe
  • The Stolen Throne (Dragon Age, #1)
  • Mass Effect: Deception (Mass Effect, #4)
  • The Silent Grove (Dragon Age Graphic Novels #1)
  • Mass Effect: Nexus Uprising (Mass Effect: Andromeda, #1)
  • BioShock: Rapture
  • Deus Ex: Icarus Effect
  • The Art of Mass Effect
  • Mass Effect: Annihilation (Mass Effect: Andromeda, #3)
  • Dragon Age: Magekiller
  • The Way We Never Were: American Families & the Nostalgia Trap
  • The Art of Dragon Age: Inquisition
  • The Calling (Dragon Age, #2)
  • The Infernal City (The Elder Scrolls #1)
  • Halo: The Fall of Reach, The Flood, First Strike (Halo, #1-3)
Mac Walters is a writer and director, known for Mass Effect 2 (2010), Mass Effect (2007) and Mass Effect 3

Mass Effect Graphic Novels (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Mass Effect: Evolution