Start by marking “The Prize” as Want to Read:
The Prize

The Prize

Librarian Note: Alternate cover for ISBN: 0671702513/9780671702519

In the resplendence of William the Conqueror's London court, the lovely Saxon captive, Nicholaa was forced to choose a husband from the assembled Norman nobles. She chose Royce, a baron warrior whose fierce demeanor could not conceal his chivalrous and tender heart. Resourceful, rebellious and utterly naive,
Mass Market Paperback, Reissue, 408 pages
Published August 1st 1991 by Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about The Prize, please sign up.
Angel Salelesi When you done with the left section, go all the way back up and then read the right section.

Dina
Feb 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"He never knew what hit him." The first line in this book was enough to hook me. How could I not love a heroine who was smart and resourceful enough to drop the hero to the ground in the middle of a battle?

Baron Royce is Norman and Lady Nicholaa is Saxon, and that makes them enemies in 1066. The Prize starts with Nicholaa trying to defend her home against Royce and his "barbaric" soldiers. She's successfully defeated the three previous knights sent by "the bastard" William of Normandy, soon to b
Stacey is Sassy
I kind of love that a romance set so far back in history, still manages to have a heroine that shows strength, courage and perseverance. This mixed with a slight vulnerability, made Nicholaa one of my very favourite heroines. Royce, well he's exactly my kind of man. Strong, determined and fierce, he finds it hard to accept the sweetness Nicholaa gives him. They are so perfect together, that each re-read leaves me a very happy and content romance reader.

Julie Garwood, you are a bloody legend.

I'm
Duchess Nicole
This classic Julie Garwood medieval romance is set in the time of the Saxon and Norman skirmishes. One thing that slays me is the mindset of the invaders...they'd come to a castle keep, lay it under siege, kill as many men as possible, and basically just overtake the place...and then they would graciously allow the 'former' lord to remain alive if he would only swear fealty to their leader and become part of their army. WHAT THE....what? That's crazy to me...it's basically forcing them to live a ...more
Kristen
Once again, Julie Garwood delivers a heartwarming, humorous, and delightfully romantic tale.

What I liked most about this book was Royce's character (he's not one Garwood's prototypical hero) and the relationship between him and the heroine, Nicholla.

Royce is a hero to adore. He may not be extremely good-looking, with a badly scarred face, but he has the perfect combination of alpha and beta characteristics. He's powerful, driven, and a true leader; but he also possess a strong benevolent side
Julie
Dec 30, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't going to review this one because I don't usually write reviews when I read a well-known and traditionally published author. However, I felt it deserved a review to explain the low rating.

I hated the heroine, Nicholaa. There was no happy medium for this character. She was either acting like an insecure adolescent, seeking approval and attention, or she was raising hell. The only time I found the strong woman characterized at the beginning of the book believable was - yes, at the beginnin
Ingie
Written October 13, 2014

3.8 Stars - Safely, securely and precisely what expected. - Sweet charming, well written 'oldish' HR

A Ms Garwood historical read (or listening) can not be but heartwaring and enjoying. The Prize a historical from 1991, here narrated by a very professional Anne Flosnik in a 12 hrs audiobook, is no exception.

photo kissing_zpsbed499e9.gif Perhaps you don't hear or see me sing and dance with joy after this novel, but at least I warm up for some very happy cheer jump step.

A sweetie one!

*****************
Lisa Kay
[image error]

★★★★ (This is a review of the audiobook.) Anne Flosnik reads this classic medieval Julie Garwood tale rather nicely. If she is somewhat “stilted” in areas, she makes up for it in others. By “stilted” I mean where the story is pure narrative she sounds stiff. I also wasn’t crazy over our Norman hero, Baron Royce’s voice; by trying to lower him to a baritone, he comes across sounding “stuffy” and that isn’t the way I heard him in my head (always a difficult – if not impossible – job!)
Maureen Feeney
MY FAVOURITE HISTORICAL!!!!! CHECKMATE
Nicolaa (a saxon)has defended her home against the normans and the king is not happy.
The king has ordered Baron Royce to bring the woman that had defended her home so well against his vassals. She was going to be The Prize for the lucky knight who won the battle for her. The King was allowing his knights to compete for her hand in marriage. But, Nicholaa saved the Queens niece. So the king changed his mind and allowed Nicholaa to choose from any of the singl
Eastofoz
Nov 17, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers who liked Garwood's "The Bride"
Shelves: 2010, medieval
Before starting this book you may want to mentally prepare yourself for a kowtowing heroine because if that kind of trait bugs you (like it does me to no end) this book has the potential to get on your nerves –fast. There’s that and the fact that the hero is painfully overbearing and you think he’s going to get the oh so deserved whack upside the head eventually but he never does unfortunately which is a shame because it could have done him a world of good :)

Briefly, the story is about Nicolaa (
Gi's Spot Reviews
4.75 ‘Captured Legend’ Stars

Arghhhh, how have I not read this HR brilliancy until now?! *slaps herself in the forehead*
What an amazing story! I couldn’t have loved Royce and Nicholaa any more than I did! Had we all the loose ends like Thurston and Clarisse and Hugh tied up better, and of course the ever required Epilogue, it would have been 5+++ Stars. But it was still a SPECTACULAR read that I will no doubt add to my all time fav HR, and forever remember.
Julie Garwood did it again. She truly is
Esther
Reread. And very deserving of a 5 star rating, again.

Wonderful couple.
Wonderful romance.
Wonderful characters.
And wonderful HEA.
Checkmate, loved that little statement between the two main characters. Especially when Nicholaa said it to Royce when she chose him. 😊

This review is short, simple and true.
Janja
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

It does not matter how many times I read it, it always brings me to laughter and good mood.
Lakshmi C
This review is the story from from the pov of the female lead, Nicholaa. She was spunky, brave and deserves something different.

Nicholaa -
The Normans and Saxtons are at war, the Normans are winning. I easily defeated two Norman invaders but the third is difficult to get rid off. There are rumours that I will be captured and given to some Knight as a Prize, I plan to escape before that. Royce is cunning and will hand me over to the King soon. I keep trying to escape but he finds it amusing and i
Carolyn
Jul 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fourth re-read. A classic! One of my very favorites! Checkmate!
Anne Boleyn's Ghost
Yes, Royce would train his men.
And she would train him.

My 5-star rating is very much informed by nostalgia. Sorry not sorry. Look, I was 16 when I first read this, and 16 year-old me thought that it was the bee's knees. 33 year-old me acknowledges that it is not actually the bee's knees, but it remains divine in its own way.

Of all the historical romance authors who rose to prominence in the 1980s, I most prefer Julie Garwood. I'd describe her as having a “soft” bodice-ripper style. Her novels we
Arlene
Romantic story that's filled with lots of tender moment. Royce and Nicholaa were a lovely couple. Entertaining, endearing and passionate.

In The Prize, Nicholaa’s home is invaded by the Normans and she’s captured as a prize to be delivered to King William. Royce is the king’s loyal subject that is tasked with bringing this headstrong Saxon to the king, which proves to be a series of small battles the entire journey. When Nicholaa gains favor with the king for a courageous act, he allows her to pi
Paige  Bookdragon
This is my first Julie Garwood and if this is how she writes her stories, then I think I would be reading some of her books in the future.

The Prize is fluffy book, one that I didn't expect from a medieval novel. I've always thought that books that are set during the time of William the Conqueror is kinda boorish or stuffy. Which is wrong because if Julie Garwood'S novel is to be set as an example, then this era is more "loose" than the Victorian era.

Women here are "encouraged" to maim warriors,
Obsidian
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"The Prize" takes place during William the Conqueror's time. We have the Saxon and Normans at each others throats. When Lady Nicholaa is captured by Royce Melborn, she finally is forced to pick a husband out of the Normans. She ends up choosing Royce and from there, these two have what I consider one of my favorite romances.

Seriously you guys, when Nicholaa comes across Royce, she ends up taking his ass out during a battle with a slingshot. I kind of fell in love. Nicholaa does what she can to
Jami
Dec 28, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well I'm 80 pages in and so far, I'm not impressed. At all. The heroine Nicholaa is just...annoying. The author says time and time again that she's just so sweet that she can't hold a grudge against anyone. Really? No one at all? Not the people who are invading your country, slaughtering your people, and hacking off your younger brother's right hand? You can't be mad at those people? Why not? Because you have no spine? Because you have no honor? Weakest. heroine. ever.

Garwood seems to think that
Nancy.D
Nov 17, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I love love LOVE all the Julie Garwood books i have read, except this. I liked Nicholaa at first - she was interesting, smart and drew your in - Royce seemed sweet with not too much of a temper, only then they got married. It seemed like as soon they got hitched, he became a pig and she became plain annoying. What happened to the woman who shot an arrow in a mans arse when he tried to take her home from her? It seemed like every time she got annoyed at Royce he'd pet her a little and all would b ...more
Uvi
3.5 stars.

The writing is good, but the plot, not so much...also, the whole -let me bend you to my will-while- I only bend a little- because I am a man and you are subservient to me- gets a little annoying after a while. I really wanted to love this author, because I love reading historical genres, but every book I read by her is basically the same underlying theme and the heroes are not desirable, at all.

I know the times were different and the gender roles were different in those centuries, but
Meryl
Nov 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Oh I want my own Royce!!! ♥♥♥

This is the best Julie Garwood novel I've read so far. It was a sweet read. Nicholaa and Royce are so sweet and cute together, I was giddy most of the time reading it. However, it seems like the story finished too early that I thought there's a second book or something. I just wish there had been more.
KatieV
3 to 3.5 stars. I liked it, but nowhere near as much as her Highlander romances. I do think that the sense of any conflict or real excitement was lacking. It's sweet with very low angst if that's what you're in the mood for. Garwood can definitely be good for that. I like to read her when I'm in a negative mood, she can usually make me smile.
Sha Mslvoe
The best, delightful medieval romance. I really enjoyed it.
I love how the characters developed with so much love.
A must read if you want to get the best of Julie Garwood.
Krista Baetiong Tungol
I picked this book because I was of a mind to read ‘lighter’ stories after Helen Hollick’s sober Saxon series (The Forever Queen / I Am the Chosen King) and because Norman Conquest, which is the period depicted in this novel, is my current favorite historical theme. Also, I have never read a Julie Garwood novel before and it intrigued me to find out why many readers seem captivated by her romance stories.

The story follows Nicholaa, a young Saxon noblewoman, who is forced to marry one of William
Zoe
Nov 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh how I loved Julie Garwood when I was 15.

But she had a few books which feature heroines that I have always wanted to strangle. Nicholaa is one of them.

First of all, why the double As in the name?? But I digress. I must admit that I was underwhelmed by this book. The story was ok but with Nicholaa as the heroine I was rolling my eyes all the time. A woman who wants her warrior husband to love her, playing childish games and the author makes these childish attempts into some kind of a great al
Cheryl
One word to describe this book would be "Checkmate", for it captured me, heart and soul!

Julie Garwood gets another big 5 star rating from me for this book. There are just some authors out there who have a gift to be able to put their pen to paper and create such perfectly splendid heroes and heroines. I have never met a Garwood hero or heroine that I did not like and Royce and Nicholaa from The Prize are no exception!

This story has some factual parts to it as it takes place in England in the yea
Zubee
I won't write much for this book; there are already plenty of great reviews around ...
But this book is really a prize! Dominating, badass, silent type H with a strong core of tenderness and understanding for the h
Sweet, strong and snarky h with a solid core of drama in her soul ... great side characters and a sweet love story with intense, setting-sheets-on-fire passion ...
And long enough for me to really get my teeth in it ...
I was in readers heaven!
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
I am so glad this book was recommended to me; I really loved it. I think the best word to describe this book is... charming.

It starts with the heroine Nicolaa defending her home against the Norman invaders, different knights are sent in, but by using her cunning and trusty slingshot, she manages to see them off; until Baron Royce arrives. The love story starts from there.

Both the main characters are incredibly lovable, and the dynamics of their relationship were funny and touching, whenever they
Leona
Mar 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I must be in the minority after reading all the rave reviews. I would give this 2.5 stars. Though it was a quick read, it somehow lacked the depth relative to her other novels. It was a little too lighthearted and I found that both the H and h were not very exciting. Typical Garwood has always had a lot more tension, great character depth and riveting plotlines. I couldn't put this at the same level as Ransom, Bride and Honor's Splendour. If you are new to Garwood, I would recommend starting wit ...more

• Prisoner of My Desire
  • Enchanted (Medieval, #3)
  • The Warlord (Montagues, #1)
  • Born in Sin (Brotherhood of the Sword #3/MacAllister, #2)
  • A Whisper of Roses
  • Untamed (MacKinnon's Rangers, #2)
  • Velvet Angel (Velvet Montgomery Annuals Tetralogy #4)
  • The Wolf and the Dove
  • Something Wonderful (Sequels, #2)
  • Keeper of the Dream
  • Mystique
  • The Raven and the Rose
With more than 35 million books in print and 26 NEW YORK TIMES bestsellers, Julie Garwood has earned a position among America's favorite fiction writers.

Born and raised in Kansas City, MO, Ms. Garwood attributes much of her success to growing up in a large family of Irish heritage. "The Irish are great storytellers who relish getting all of the details and nuances of every situation. Add in the fa
“A woman can't do anything about her appearance. Either she's pretty or she isn't. But her character is quite another matter.” 78 likes
“It's a sin to hate, and for that reason alone, we must not hate the Normans... We can, however, thoroughly dislike them, Alice.” 41 likes