Start by marking “Head in the Clouds” as Want to Read:
Head in the Clouds

Head in the Clouds

Adelaide Proctor is a young woman with her head in the clouds, longing for a real-life storybook hero to claim as her own. But when a husband-hunting debacle leaves her humiliated, she interviews for a staid governess position on a central Texas sheep ranch and vows to leave her romantic yearnings behind.
When Gideon Westcott left his privileged life in England to make a n
Published October 1st 2010 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Head in the Clouds, please sign up.

Start your review of Head in the Clouds
Anne Osterlund
May 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Adelaide is a romantic. A rancher’s daughter, former schoolteacher, and Jane-Eyre-loving daydreamer who only wears yellow and takes her horse, Sheba, wherever she goes.

First to town. Where things DON’T proceed in Jane-Eyre-esque fashion.

And then, on a spur of the moment compulsion . . .

To the Westcott ranch.

Where she runs straight into Gideon Westcott.

Who already has one unfathomable girl under his roof (five-year-old Isabella, who hasn’t spoken since her mother’s death).

And now most certainly h
Alysha (For The Love of Christian Fiction)
👏 ALL 👏 THE 👏 FEELS 👏

Towards the end of March I just felt like I needed to re-read something on my shelves. (Crazy, I know! Considering the piles of unread books I own) But sometimes you just need to grab a favorite and revisit that wonderful world. I wasn't entirely sure what I wanted, but I just knew I wanted something. (Sounds like me when I'm hungry 😏)
A few weeks ago I talked about some life changes on my booktube channel. One of those being me becoming a live-in nanny to two crazy, but also
Ceri
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
This is a story set in Texas in the late 1800s. Miss Adelaide Proctor took a job as a teacher after her father died, and part of the conditions of the contract were that she wasn’t allowed to marry for 2 years. At the end of this time, the potential suitors who she met when she first came into town have moved on. Adelaide has no family and she dreams of starting a family of her own, so she’s been concentrating her efforts on a young man called Henry, whom she doesn’t love, but likes enough to se ...more
Sydney Elaine
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved this book. It is so cheesy and fluffy (maybe even too cheesy?), but sometimes its good to get a little bit of a break from serious stuff

I myself am a romantic, so I could completely relate to Adelaide in her longing for fluffy romantic relationship.

I loved how things that were sort of unclear in the beginning of this book made complete sense later on. The story was so sweet and though it was (obviously) predictable, the sense of danger and suspense sort of propelled you throu
Kim
Mar 15, 2011 rated it it was ok
These characters are the sort of people I might befriend in real life---to watch my plants when I'm out of town, if for no other reason---but they're too perfect to be really interesting as fictional characters. And since God makes all their decisions for them, they can't even really claim some of the virtues I enjoy in my heroes and heroines: courage, intelligence, common sense. Don't get me wrong: I appreciate strong faith in my characters, but if God is going to send them signs and wonders to ...more
Alyssa
{About the Book}

When Gideon Westcott left his privileged life in England to make a name for himself in America's wool industry, he never expected to become a father overnight. And five-year-old
Maria
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
When Adelaide Proctor finds herself in a new town, jobless and heartbroken, she decides to apply for a position as a governess. After spending many years reading enchanting novels and dreaming about her perfect hero, she realizes that it is time to stop dreaming and start living a real life. She does not imagine that sometimes real life may be more fascinating and breathtaking than her books.

The thing I always like when I read a Karen Witemeyer book is that I feel exactly all the emotions the ch
Abigail Harris
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Possibly going to review this later...
Brittany
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a great story! I have really enjoyed all of the books that I have read by this author and am trying to read those that I hadn't ever gotten to. This story had a great blend of action, danger, family, and romance. I loved it!
This book was a quick, light read. Very predictable, with a happy ending. I wish the author had created more depth to the characters to make me want to care about them more. Unfortunately the story just fell "flat"for me. It was a simple read though,with some nice reminders on how we should trust God more and truly seek his will instead of our own desires. It was an ok read, just not great.
Amy
Jan 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book has been on my to-read shelf since 2011 so when I finally spotted it at the library, I jumped at the chance to knock another book off that shelf. I definitely had higher expectations for it. A governess story written Jane Eyre-esque? Mmm, mmm, mmm...possibility.
Head in the Clouds is one of the most obtuse, self-aware books I have ever read. It would be an incredibly satirical novel if it didn't take itself so seriously.

Plot
Adelaide Proctor (I admit, I loved her name from the start) se
Anam Zahra
This is by far the best historical fiction I have ever read! Yes, I mean it from the bottom of my heart. It is clean; free of stupidity and vulgarity. (Thumbs Up for that). A good piece of Christian fiction with loads of inspiration.
It is a perfect recipe with the spice of action and adventure, sugar of love and faith, aroma of tears and laughter, and most important, caffeine of lunatic villains.
This book is an exceptional, where both Hero and Heroine won my heart with their strong stances. The
Casey
Sep 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
HEAD IN THE CLOUDS is a charming story filled with believable characters, a page turning story line all complete in a lovely little package that I loved!

First, have you seen the cover of this book?? The most ingenious one ever! The story that fills the space between the cover is filled with adventure and romance. That pace in the tense moments is fast paced and filled with to the point descriptions that kept me turning pages. The romance made my heart sigh. And as I neared the end of the novel,
Teri-K
Jan 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
I choose this book because I needed a fun read to go with a long, serious book and I'd read and enjoyed To Win Her Heart earlier. I thought this one was about a widower in the Old West who needed a governess, but the hero is actually an English Earl-turned-sheep-farmer and the girl is his ward, not his daughter. I've read the "nobleman in the Old West" trope before; I have no idea if it's based on fact, but I decided to go along for the ride. :) His background plus the fact that the little girl ...more
Aerykah
May 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book! Karen Witemeyer has quickly become a favorite of mine. I'm looking forward to reading more of her books.
Amanda Tero
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love Karen's writing style so much! It just flows so smoothly and she has great flow to her story and plotline.

I just wish I could highly recommend her books. She is hit and miss with how her romance content is. With this one, there was an attempted rape scene where the attack and intent was pretty detailed (though the act never took place). Also, there is a scene where a husband is very much admiring his wife's form. There is nothing wrong with that, but it just seems out of place in a novel-
Ann Jones
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute story, entertaining and a light fast read. If you like clean romance, Head in the Clouds is a good choice.
Kathy
Jun 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
So, I liked this one and liked the characters, but I think I enjoyed the other two books I read by Witemeyer a little bit more. This one felt like a mix between Regency and the Wild West. Gideon is actually an English gentleman who has come to America to try and make his own way. On his way to America he ends up as a guardian to five-year-old Isabella when her mother dies on the ship coming over. I admired Gideon for taking over Isabella so easily and truly treating her like his own daughter. It ...more
Meg
Jan 02, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: christian
I was unable to care for Adelaide, she is way too fanciful, romantic, and more than naive. She immediately falls for any good-looking man who crosses her path. She moves from one to another quickly without seeming to process deep emotions other than infatuation. When she claims to be moving on from her romantic notions, she is not in the presence of Gideon a moment before she starts spinning yarns again. Because of this, it is hard to believe that her romantic feelings are true.

While Gideon was
Hannah
This was a sit-back-and-enjoy sort of book with a satisfying ending. I'm pretty sure I'd have enjoyed it even more if I could have had a hard copy instead of a library ebook...but it was fun anyway. It's hard to believe I've read nearly all of Karen Witemeyer's books in just a few weeks.
One of my favorite scenes was right after the hero was wounded...I'm sure I'll reread that last third of the book when I get the chance! And I really loved the heroine's love of yellow dresses. It seemed so much
Alicia
An engaging story about a character whose storybook dreams come to life when she takes the position as governess on the Westcott ranch, and who finds herself and the rest of the ranch in many dangers along the way. Not my favourite Witemeyer story, but it still had all the trademark charm and a standout storyline that made me like it a whole lot! :)
Jul 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I first fell in love with the charming, romantic prose of Karen Witemeyer in her debut novel, “A Tailor-Made Bride”, which came out earlier this year. I was so excited to discover that this new author had a SECOND book releasing this year, as well! I knew I was going to love “Head in the Clouds”, I just had no idea how much! Swoon-worthy romance, charming wit, and heart-pounding suspense are the order of the day when Karen Witemeyer is behind the pen. I laughed. I cried. And, more often than not ...more
Rachelle Cobb
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-read
What I Loved

This book is filled with ironic twists of phrase and a humorous glint in the style of Mary Connealy and Kelly Hake. The stunning and uh-oh glimpse of Adelaide on the cover is in every way indicative of the adventure to be found within the pages of Head in the Clouds.

This story kept me reading. The characters were altogether engaging and loveable. Gideon was such a clash of cultures. An English nobleman now a sheep farmer?

And Adelaide. I could relate to her on so many levels, yet sh
Jan 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
While I don't have a issue Christian writers, she writes over the top God language. Christian historical fiction should have a particular amount of religious speak, but the problem with most Christian writers especially Karen Witemeyer is that they overload the story with spiritual jargon. Historically speaking religion is a part of the everyday American life, but it is not drawn out into an entire page or two of spiritual thoughts. When something is a part of everyday life it isn't drawn out an ...more
Oct 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
After her memorable debut with A Tailor-Made Bride, I wondered what Karen Witemeyer would do for an encore. She not disappoint me. Instead, she absolutely delighted me with this story of an unconventional governess, a most unusual hero (how many English noblemen turned sheep rancher have you encountered between the pages of a book?) and a truly dastardly villain. Blending touches of humor with heart-stopping danger and a sigh-inducing romance, Head in the Clouds is a book to read again and again ...more
SheLove2Read
Nov 29, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010
I liked the overall idea of the story but for me it fell a little flat. The little girl in the book was ok, surprisingly not annoying. There was even an attempted rape scene which I found unusual in a Christian romance, but the two main characters just never felt real to me. The hero Gideon was well entrenched in beta-maleness, which is a total turnoff for me as well. It wasn't a bad book, it just wasn't remarkable in any way.

C/2 stars
Mayda
Jun 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, romance
This somewhat entertaining tale would have been better had the author omitted some of the trite descriptions and dialogue between the main characters. While the storyline had potential, it was lost in the sappy romantic scenes that seemed to go on and on while adding nothing to the story. Much fluff without much substance, but if you like that sort of writing, you may enjoy this novel. However, the claims of suspense and excitement with romantic overtones are highly exaggerated.
Rebecca
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Clever, engaging, and beautifully written, "Head in the Clouds" is a classic western romance rivaling any fairy tale story, showcasing the intensity of a love between two people whose lives divinely inter-twine. What they manage to accomplish together surpasses any individual efforts they might have attempted, even if one of their heads remains stubbornly "in the clouds".
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
4 stars

Sweet romance with a touch of suspense. All of the characters are likeable, I enjoyed the sheep ranch setting, and the gentle humor carried eased some emotionally tense moments. The only reason I didn't find this too preachy, though, is because of the time period.
Darla Damron
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-audio-books
Witemeyer never disappoints the reader! She held my attention from the first page to the last. I read this book by audio and the narrator did an awesome job. She was not boring to listen and changed her tones with the characters.
Sinopsis en Español 1 2 Nov 20, 2014 09:36AM
¿Por qué no una traducción al Español? 1 2 Oct 22, 2014 12:37PM
Translation to Spanish, why not? 1 1 Jul 07, 2014 03:54PM
Clean Fiction: discussion of next month's Additional Group Read 3 5 Apr 09, 2014 11:46AM

• Fancy Pants (Only in Gooding, #1)
  • A Bride in the Bargain
  • A Most Inconvenient Marriage (Ozark Mountain Romance, #1)
  • The Measure of a Lady
  • A Bride for Keeps (Unexpected Brides, #1)
  • Sixty Acres and a Bride (Ladies of Caldwell County, #1)
  • Tried and True (Wild at Heart, #1)
  • A Bride Most Begrudging
  • Love on the Line
  • Fire and Ice (Wild at Heart, #3)
  • A Heart Most Certain (Teaville Moral Society, #1)
  • Letter Perfect (California Historical, #1)
  • The Doctor's Lady
  • Christmas Bride: Frontier Brides (Glory, Montana Book 10)
  • That Certain Spark (Only in Gooding, #4)
  • A Most Peculiar Circumstance (Ladies of Distinction, #2)
  • Calico Canyon (Lassoed in Texas, #2)
  • Whirlwind (Only in Gooding, #3)
For those who love to smile as they read, bestselling author Karen Witemeyer offers warmhearted historical romance with a flair for humor, feisty heroines, and swoon-worthy Texas heroes. A transplant from California, Karen came to Texas for college, met a cowboy disguised as a computer nerd, married him, and never left the state that had become home.

Winner of the National Reader's Choice Award, H

News & Interviews

“The fiasco in the barn flashed through her mind. Yesterday she'd showered him with oats and today she'd pummeled him with a broom. At this rate, he'd be dead by the end of the week.” 19 likes
“...it would be unfair to measure him against a fictional standard that he could never possibly achieve.” 3 likes