Start by marking “How To Ride A Dragon's Storm (How to Train Your Dragon, #7)” as Want to Read:
How To Ride A Dragon's Storm (How to Train Your Dragon, #7)

How To Ride A Dragon's Storm (How to Train Your Dragon #7)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  4,377 Ratings  ·  218 Reviews
Hiccup has three months, five days, and six hours to win the annual Intertribal Friendly Swimming Race--which he must do by coming in last. Along the way, he'll have to discover America, battle Polarserpents, defeat his nemesis Norbert the Nutjob, and get back to the Isle of Berk. It's a tall order for a short Viking. Can he do it?
Published July 1st 2010 by Little, Brown and Company (first published August 26th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about How To Ride A Dragon's Storm, please sign up.

Jessica Technically yes. There is a Dream Works movie called How to Train Your Dragon, and even a squeal called How to Train Your Dragon 2. (both of which are…moreTechnically yes. There is a Dream Works movie called How to Train Your Dragon, and even a squeal called How to Train Your Dragon 2. (both of which are my favorite Dream Works movies.) Yes, they are both different from the books, but since when are both the books and the movie adaptation exactly the same anyway. (less)

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Okay so it took me months and months to finish this, mostly because I've been terrible at reading lately and I keep reading like ten books at once and not finishing any of them. BUT I finally finished this––hooray! This was definitely one of the stronger books in the series so far––a lot of action and adventure, very exciting and fun. And the illustrations are very cute.

Also the epilogues of these books are always so well-written and emotional, a;dlfja;sdjf.

I believe the last book in the series
Sara Saif
Rinse repeat.
Ha-ha! Etcetera etceta.
P.S: Vikings are INSANE.
Deborah Pickstone
Further adventures of Hiccup, Fishlegs, Camicazi and Toothless. Back on track with this one!
Ruthie
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know I'm an adult reading kids books, but I can't help it! There are so many kids books that weren't out there when I was a kid, and they are a great way to keep in touch with your inner child.

Cressida Cowell's "How to Train Your Dragon" series is one of my favorite children's series these days, and "How to Ride a Dragon's Storm" is no exception. It seemed a little longer to me than the last few books have been, and it was worth every page.

The Viking's are having a friendly swimming competit
Sophia
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hiccup and his friends, Fishlegs and Camaicazi, end up being trapped on a boat, heading to the mysterious, fabled land of America! They try to survive being surrounded by a people that call themselves the Hysterics and their leader, Norbert the Nutjob. While back at Berk, a deal is being struck between three tribes on whether the three Heroes will actually come back. It is an interesting story line but it is starting to get kind of repetitive on how the Heroes juuust make it back in time, or juu ...more
Erin
"And at night, as they slept, their dreaming minds drew maps of America, and each map of this paradise-on-earth was drawn according to their own desires."

This is just such a fantastic idea. It was a small moment in the book, but I couldn't stop thinking about it-- if you were journeying to a strange land, one that you knew nothing about and yet expected to love, your expectations would simply be a reflection of your deepest desires. In this installment, Hiccup and his friends are kidnapped by No
Fredrik
Nov 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lagi-lagi curi start, beli dan baca buku ke-7 ini lewat versi asli berhubung versi terjemahannya entah kapan nian baru ada... :D

Buku ini bisa dibilang termasuk bukunya Hiccup yang paling serius (tapi tetap bagus!).
Ceritanya lebih serius. Pesan-pesannya lebih serius.

Entah kenapa, dalam beberapa seri terakhir memoar Hiccup memang segala hal perlahan-lahan semakin lama menjadi semakin serius. Sepertinya memang gak mudah menulis kisah berbalut humor dengan tidak mengulang lelucon-lelucon yang sudah
Kristen
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think I write this every time--but I love this series. It's full of humor and adventure and fun while addressing things like friendship, bravery, and leadership. Hiccup really grows up in this one, and finally accepts the fact that he will one day be Chief of the Hooligans. We don't get the doubt from Stoick in this one, which was a welcome change--you'd think after all the times Hiccup has been successful (in his own way), Stoick would start having some faith in him. Not a lot of Toothless in ...more
Beatrice
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Denae Christine
Reader thoughts: I keep thinking I can predict the ends for these books, or even the middles. I can't. Despite CC liberally planting foreshadowing and plot clues, I am surprised every time. Well, maybe surprised for 80% of what unfolds. It's still amazing.

I love that Hiccup is growing up a little. He's now about 12 1/2. I love that he learns something new in this book, that he decides what sort of chief he's going to be.

I love the Viking version of a swim race. It's perfect and so totally fits t
m. ulinnuha
Jan 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2012
Beli edisi aslinya mumpung ada sale :D buku keenamnya di-skip dulu, lama nunggu terjemahannya keluar. (kan bacanya nggak harus sesuai urutan)

Kali ini, Hiccup bersama Fishlegs dan Camicazi berpetualang menuju dunia baru: Amerika.

Awalnya, ada pertandingan "Intertribal Friendly Swimming Race" antara suku Hairy Hooligans, Bog Burglars, dan suku Murderous di mana peserta yang datang paling akhir adalah pemenangnya. Dan pemenang dari pertandingan bisa meminta satu hal apapun kepada Kepala Suku.

Madguts
Victoria
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I kept getting distracted at work and I missed bits, but I'm glad it deals with slavery and the inhumanity of it.
King Haddock
This book series could be described as Beowulf mashed with A Prairie Home Companion for Vikings.

It has cheeky, entertaining, succinct descriptions such as we might expect from Garrison Keillor (take, for instance, page 13, Stoick's description: "He was built in the traditional Viking mold: six-and-a-half feet tall, belly like a battleship, eyebrows blowing in the breeze like a couple of large hamsters doing cartwheels.").

It has wild, dramatic stories carried on by entertaining ironies, tying to
Yami
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

as usual LOVED it, this series is really something big disguised under the skin of tiny toothless Dragon,
as a reader who is waaaaaaay above the target age, I have to admit it is highly entertaining, it is becoming my new guilty pleasure to read this series and TRULY enjoy it. I even caught myself reacting at the Q at the end of the books, and shouting "YES,why is that??"
BUT, if I ever put my feet in a parent's shoes, I wont recommend it for age below 11, it is harsh, and have some cruel jokes a
Amy
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was an improvement over the sixth book. I felt like the story was more fleshed out and that the themes were a little deeper. I really enjoyed the interactions between Hiccup, Fishlegs, and Camicazi. They make a great trio of friends. The How to Train Your Dragon series all stay fairly lighthearted, but they do occasionally stray into more serious subjects and that happened in this book. This book explores some of the negative practices of Viking life and Hiccup's reaction to ...more
Matt
Feb 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, young-adult
By far the darkest of the seven thus far. Big-Boobied Bertha is only sparingly used for comic relief, lots of people die, and water runs red with the blood of lost vikings. Still, it's a kid's book - but this was the first in the series I could see potentially giving this favorite nephew nightmares. Definitely feel my attention for this series beginning to wane...

[3 stars for attempting to become something a little more mature, while still keeping kids at the heart of the whole adventure. Not so
MeIsa
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm glad to know there are people like the author that can use all their creativity and intelligence to entertain others. I had real fun reading this book, as the other ones I'd read from the "saga". Also, I always enjoy pretty much the endings of the stories, when Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III, already an old man, shares his words of kindness and tells in a more adult perspective how he remembers and feel his memories.
D.C.
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
After a poor sixth book, Cowell got right back on track with the seventh book in this weird yet addictive series. Uproariously funny, with a cutting edge of action and suspense.
Thais Pampado
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love how each book in this series can be different yet always be so fun to read. How to Ride a Dragon's Storm was full of adventures and I think it was my favorite in the series so far :)
Imo
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is my favourite Hiccup adventure. This one really appeals to me.
Nilsson
It must have been scary to get the SlaveMark! I can only imagine...!
Tara
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
It's not that I dislike this book, but I just didn't care for it. It was ok.
Bibliotekstanten
Hicke Hiskelig Halvulk III är tillbaka. Den här gången förvandlas en liten (nåja, liten enligt Hickes lärare Gape Rapkäft) simtävling till ett kidnappningsäventyr och Amerikaresa (om nu Amerika faktiskt finns, vilket inte är så säkert).

Själva simtävlingen var verkligen mycket traditionell, för vikingar. Och eftersom vikingar inte var riktigt kloka skulle de simma fullt beväpnade, med svärd, yxor, dolkar och annat smått och gott. De verkade inte inse att det skulle göra det svårare för dem att hå
Ly Concepcion
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The epilogue was so beautifully written that it made me realize how much I loved this book. I know it's a children's book but Cressida Cowell wrote it so well it was not only enjoyable and humorous but also very touching and motivating that I find encouragement and inspiration from reading it. Hiccup's journey towards reaching his true potential and his destiny is truly an inspiring read that also tackles true friendship, hardwork, perseverance, integrity and self belief. I love this series so m ...more
Andrea Dillon
Shelves: audiobooks, 2017
I love this series!
Shawn
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is amazing what a little hiccup can do.
Nao Mendoza
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love how Hiccup matures in this episode!!! All parts of the adventure is awesome!! I have a big crush on Hiccup in this book!!!
Kassie
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great adventure!
Karla
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
David Tennant is fast becoming one of favourite audio book readers. Kids love listening to these books and all the crazy names.
The Dragon's Lair: How to Ride a Dragon's Storm 1 1 Apr 21, 2013 07:16AM
  • Toothiana: Queen of the Tooth Fairy Armies (The Guardians, #3)
  • Revenge of the Dragon Lady (Dragon Slayers' Academy, #2)
  • How to Train Your Dragon: The Chapter Book
  • Gauge (The Dragons of Wayward Crescent, #2)
  • Black Dragon Codex (Dragon Codices, #3)
  • The Dragon Diary (Dragonology Chronicles, #2)
  • Rise of the Guardians Movie Novelization
  • Potterwookiee (The Creature from My Closet, #2)
  • The Dragon in the Library (Dragon Keepers, #3)
  • The Art of How to Train Your Dragon
  • A Practical Guide to Dragons
  • Alien on a Rampage (Intergalactic Bed and Breakfast, #2)
  • The Basilisk’s Lair (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #2)
  • Attack of the BULLIES (NERDS, #5)
  • Fantasy Fiesta 2011: Antologi Cerita Fantasi Terbaik 2011
  • Corby Flood (Far-Flung Adventures, #2)
  • The Secret of the Fortune Wookiee  (Origami Yoda, #3)
  • Jay: Ninja of Lightning (Ninjago Chapter Books, #4)
Cressida Cowell grew up in London and on a small, uninhabited island off the west coast of Scotland. She was convinced that there were dragons living on this island, and has been fascinated by dragons ever since. She has a BA in English Literature from Oxford University, a BA in Graphic Design from St Martin's and an MA in Narrative Illustration from Brighton. Cressida loves illustrating her own w ...more
More about Cressida Cowell...

How to Train Your Dragon (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • How to Train Your Dragon (How to Train Your Dragon, #1)
  • How to Be a Pirate (How to Train Your Dragon, #2)
  • How to Speak Dragonese (How to Train Your Dragon, #3)
  • How to Cheat a Dragon's Curse (How to Train Your Dragon, #4)
  • How to Twist a Dragon's Tale (How to Train Your Dragon, #5)
  • A Hero's Guide to Deadly Dragons (How to Train Your Dragon, #6)
  • How to Break a Dragon's Heart (How to Train Your Dragon, #8)
  • How to Steal a Dragon's Sword (How to Train Your Dragon, #9)
  • How to Seize a Dragon's Jewel (How to Train Your Dragon, #10)
  • How to Betray a Dragon's Hero (How to Train Your Dragon, #11)

“Always sailing, sailing, sailing...never quite reaching.” 18 likes