Start by marking “L.A. Bytes (L.A., #4)” as Want to Read:
L.A. Bytes (L.A., #4)

L.A. Bytes

(L.A. #4)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  253 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Digital Armageddon for the city of Angels?

Los Angeles' Ste. Anne's Medical Center has been hacked by a brilliant, malicious cracker. Christopher Bellamere has been hired to find out who is behind the break in. When tampered medical records nearly kill his lover, Homicide Detective David Eric Laine, the stakes go up and Chris goes after the cracker with all his skills.

It qu
Published February 2010 by MLR Books

To ask other readers questions about L.A. Bytes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about L.A. Bytes

really liked it 4.00  ·

Anke
Mar 19, 2014 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
I just wanted to read this book, yes I already bought it. And what is there, on one of the first pages of the book? The following:

2013 Edition - Revised, Re-edited, and Redesigned (Previously published under the title L.A. Bytes)

Yes, I already read that book, when it was released a few years back. I'm not amused that this wasn't mentioned anywhere when I bought this book. I feel ripped off!

Not a happy camper right now, nope.

ETA: Yes, you can say it's my own damn fault not to realize the similari
Ami
Feb 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
I totally fall in love with Chris and David, so I look forward to reading this 4th book. I very much welcome the spotlight on Chris. From the previous books, I feel that it is more on David. He IS the cop and I already know how he is when he wants to protect Chris. But in this book (they are now married for 18 months), I love how I learn more about Chris's expertise. Though most of the times I have no idea what he is talking about when he talks computer technical *g*. But I can see how smart he ...more
Kassa
Aug 17, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 3rd novel in the series focuses more on Chris than cop David. Although there is a murder mystery and a homeland security threat, the source is computer orientated so Chris is right in the mix. Well researched and detailed, almost too much included which may make some readers’ eyes glaze over, the action is quick paced and intricate. This isn’t a whodunit so much as a story in how to catch the bad guy without getting yourself killed along the way. The characters are always fun to re
DaisyGirl
4.5 Stars

NOTE: This is NOT a new book in the L.A. series. This is book four (previously L.A. Bytes) reissued under a new title.

In this installment, Chris and David are still together. Their work lives coincide, however, when Chris sets out to uncover a computer hack with some serious skills and David is on another murderer's trail.

I love this series. I love that the characters are imperfect. I love that despite their flaws and past mistakes, Chris and David are truly devoted to one another. I lo
Feliz
May 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Tamkin
Feb 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, m-m-mystery
From bombs to kidnapping and mass pile ups - there is definitely a lot of action in LA Bytes and in this aspect the story delivered.

But what I felt was missing a bit were the relationship aspects.

The fact that there seems to be little communication between David and Chris leads to some of the (almost literally) to-stupid-to-live moments of LA Bytes. Comparing notes at one point would have probably saved David and Chris a lot of grief.

And while I am airing my grievances - I am also getting a li
thelastaerie
Feb 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This one is an ambitious instalment from PA Brown's "LA series". The crime and mystery is complex and engrossing to read, top-notch plotting and execution. The romance between David and Chris is maturing, they are very much in love and facing the still-exist obstacles together, this time, their problems come from external factors.

I'd say it's primarily a mystery book, but it doesn't hurt that it has two main characters that readers would root for. But if you are looking for scorching hot erotic
Lori
May 28, 2010 rated it liked it
I was disappointed in this book. Part of the issue for me is that I prefer character driven stories and this was very plot driven. There wasn't a lot of interaction between the main characters and what little there was, mostly took place over a hospital bed. While the technical details were well researched, I never did really understand why the protagonist was doing what he was doing. The plot was all over the place and never gelled for me. As I got closer to the end of the book, expecting thing ...more
Betryal
Mar 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book mostly centers around Chris with the actions. It's a great change of pace from all its predecessors. The details are amazing and I'm willing to say fantastic. The story is unique since I can't recall reading one quite like this one with the technical info that blew my mind.

In a nutshell this story, this series is out of this world. It will literally take you there.
~RMG
Mar 25, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I read this story's 1st edition to compare it to the revised/renamed edition, LA Storm. Although I think this version had a clearer story depicted, I did like some of the new tidbits added to the revised version. All in all, I would've liked a much more cohesive fusion of LA Bytes and LA Storm. Still a good read, no matter the edition.
Leigh Ann Wallace
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this series and this is a great addition. So much excitement, really kept me involved. And I love the relationship between Chris and David. Wonderful.
B.K. Walker
Apr 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bk-s-library
Picture
L.A. Bytes is another fabulous read by P.A. Brown! Well researched and phenomenally written! You won't be able to put it down!

When Chris Bellamere gets called in to find who's been hacking into Ste. Anne's Medical Center, he ends up finding more than a bunch of codes on a computer. As he digs further, threats start coming in via email to hurt his husband, Detective David Eric Laine.

In the meantime, David is at the Doctors office for an allergy shot. Chris, who happens to be in the same ho
SA
Oct 24, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010
Sharon Cox
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cops, gay, murder, mystery, police
Please note that this is a reworking of 'L.A. Bytes' which was published a few years ago. I read that book then so I was a bit hesitant about reading this new version. I'm glad that I got over this and gave the book a go. I only remembered a little of the story and so I have thoroughly enjoyed reintroducing myself to David and Chris, two characters I have grown to be very fond of.
The start of the book was familiar but, by the end, I was convinced that I was reading a different story . The end of
Kerry  sullivan
I have to admit that although I liked this book there were times I felt like I was reading parts of Die Hard 2.0 the only thing missing was John Maclain and a a certain catchphrase. Don't get me wrong It kept me interested right to the end but I felt like it was predictable at times and a little on under thought out. The books before this were really well researched and the police procedure felt realistic this just felt like parts were pure make believe. This didn't diminish my enjoyment and |I ...more
Jolinar
Mar 22, 2012 rated it liked it
I just finished re-reading the entire L.A. series in readiness for the new 'coming soon' title.
I have to say that although I love them all, L.A. Bytes is my least favourite. Too much IT jargon for me, to the point that I found it hard to concentrate.
Other than that, I love anything David & Chris so I can't really grumble :)
Lori S.
Sep 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
I think P.A. Brown gets better as she writes and this is an enjoyable read (if one can say enjoyable when your husband is both stalked and kidnapped by a cyber-nut, a French terrorist blows up a hospital, not to mention planning to take down the LA electronic infrastructure for maximum panic and nastiness ...). Quite good.
M
So here's the thing, I've grown really fond of David and Chris as a couple, but in this book they're hardly ever on the same page (literally and figuratively) and so I really could't see the point. Here's hoping that the next one is more couple-friendly.
C. Zampa
Apr 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Another adventure with David and Chris, this time focusing more on Chris' technology skills in solving a crime involving a high-scale hacker. An interesting plot, using the author's knowledge of the cyber world and computer technology, kept me fascinated.
Uli
Oct 20, 2011 rated it liked it
2,5 stars
Chris
Jun 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, gay, ebook, 2012, done
Very good gay mystery with a titch of romance. In this one, Chris is trying to track down a hacker who nearly kills both he and David.
jules0623
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.
Elisa Rolle
Feb 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
2010 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention (5* from at least 1 judge)
Keity
Mandapanda
Jun 30, 2010
Lori S.
Aug 03, 2012
  • Deadly Wrong (Deadly Mystery, #2)
  • Like Pizza and Beer (Dino Martini Mysteries, #2)
  • Flesh & Blood (Flesh, #2)
  • All or Nothing (Taking the Odds, #3)
  • The Bones of Summer (Maloney's Law, #2)
  • Old Poison (Dangerous Ground, #2)
  • A Deadly Game (A Nick Fallon Investigation, #1)
  • Blood Pond (Blood Pond, #1)
  • Death by Misfortune (Bill Turner, #2)
  • Baby, It's Cold Outside (Bellingham Mysteries, #2)
  • Mahu Vice (Mahu, #4)
  • Missing Daughter, Shattered Family (David Lloyd Investigations #1)
  • Breaking Cover (Life Lessons, #2)
Pat Brown, writing as P.A. Brown, is the author of the Chris and David police procedural novels featuring LAPD homicide detective David Eric Laine and his lover, computer network engineer Christopher Bellamere. In L. A. Heat the first in the series, David is an uptight, in the closet cop living a life of denial and dark secrets he will protect at all costs. Then his life becomes entwined with Chri ...more

L.A. (5 books)
  • L.A. Heat (L.A., #1)
  • L.A. Mischief (L.A., #2)
  • L.A. Boneyard (L.A., #3)
  • Bermuda Heat (L.A., #5)