Start by marking “How To Make Meetings Work” as Want to Read:
How To Make Meetings Work

How To Make Meetings Work

Tested on more than 10,000 participants, the Interaction Method of conducting meetings is proven to increase productivity by up to 15 percent. Demonstrating how time and people can be better used in meetings, this thorough manual is indispensable for any organization--from large corporations to the PTA.
Published (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about How To Make Meetings Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How To Make Meetings Work

Marit
Oct 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: how-to-guides
A straightforward book that builds upon a small company's methodology. Their way of structuring meetings with assigned roles that separate out tasks in order to alleviate tension and subjectivity makes a lot of sense. The examples go on a bit too long and the ending tries to draw together a bit too many disparate leadership & scenario ideas. But a worthwhile quick read that provides plenty of food for thought & experiment.
Dustin
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Solid advice on how to prevent unhelpful meetings, but a bit dated overall. The method proposed here as a model will be old hat to anyone exposed to decision making in coops or collectives; might be new to someone whose only experience is in traditional business meetings that lack experienced project management.
Sehar  Moughal
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have skimmed through many books with titles claiming to reveal the secrets of holding a great meeting, however, none lived up to my expectations. Initially I had qualms about the content of this book when I first picked it up. The reason I decided to give it a chance was because of the words "The new interactive method" circled boldly on the cover. And I am glad I did.
From the very beginning, Doyle tackles the dynamics of a meeting: why have meetings, what makes it unsuccessful/successful. Wh
Dan
Nov 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book is an easy read and offers lots of practical tips for people who have to run meetings.

The book focuses on having a neutral facilitator who can monitor the process of the meeting while the meeting participants focus on the content. Most of my meetings aren't run that way--but I still found the book useful and am already thinking about how I can use their method more.

The best section of the book is on solving problems in meeting. It breaks down problem solving into a series of steps an
Michelle
Read Facilitator's Guide to Participatory Decision-Making first, then read this one to round out your study. The introduction contains a few groan-worthy dated references, but if you overlook those you'll find some solid core concepts to guide your approach to collaborative meetings.
Gerhard Peters
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
This is a very useful and practical book. The author's talks about fallacies in meetings and how to over come them. Then proposes a model to run meetings effectively. It even comes with agenda templates. I strongly suggest you to read this book if you want to make your meetings more effective and productive. The reason I only gave it a rating of 4 stars is because it has a bit of a self-help tone and a bit redundant as well.
Wade
May 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Another one I had to read for a class. I really liked the interactive method to running a meeting, but then like most books like this they don't have enough material for a whole book so they fill the rest with junk.
Christian
Apr 19, 2009 rated it it was ok
Good tool to make sure you do drift into time wasting meeting habits.
Raghu
Feb 08, 2011 added it
Read here and there. Very useful. I would like to master the priciples presented by the authors.
Kristen