Start by marking “Bodas de sangre” as Want to Read:
Bodas de sangre

Bodas de sangre

El tema de esta obra surgio a raiz de una noticia aparecida en prensa: dos amantes se fugan en la vispera de la boda de la mujer con otro hombre. Garia Lorca convierte la realidad en poesia. En su obra hay ansias de libertad, andalucismo, simbolismo y muerte, pero por encima de todo, poesia dramatica. Bodas de sangre es, pues, una obra teatral donde las desgarradas ...more
Published 2005 by Cátedra (first published 1932)

To ask other readers questions about Bodas de sangre, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bodas de sangre

Start your review of Bodas de sangre
Federico DN
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dusty-library
A groom, a bride, an ex-lover, a wedding drenched in blood.

One of those yellowed books found in the dusty family library. A theatre play, a fresh of air after so many novels. An extremely short reading. a few hours at most. Interesting to change genres. Readable. I enjoyed Neruda's poetry but not Lorca's; however I can see someone who likes the genre enjoying this very much. Sadly, not my case.

Until next time,

-----------------------------------------------

Un novio, una prometida, un ex-amante,
Ahmad Sharabiani
Bodas de sangre = Blood Wedding, Federico García Lorca
Blood Wedding is a tragedy by Spanish dramatist Federico García Lorca. It was written in 1932 and first performed in Madrid in March 1933 and later that year in Buenos Aires. Theater critics often group it with Yerma and The House of Bernarda Alba as the "Rural Trilogy". Lorca's plan for a "trilogy of the Spanish earth" remained unfinished at the time of his death (he did not include The House of Bernarda Alba in it).

تاریخ نخیتین خوانش: روز
James
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1-fiction
Book Review
4 out of 5 stars to Bodas de sangre, written in 1933 by Federico García Lorca. I read this book during a Spanish literature course, as part of my English degree and minor in Spanish. I really enjoyed reading the novel in Spanish, but not being a native speaker, I lost a little bit of the story. I read an English translation and compared my notes from one to other, quickly realizing how much I did understand but also lost. I've seen two adaptions in film, but there are several.
Michael
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2020
Haunting and stark, Bodas de sangre charts the turbulent course of an ill-fated pastoral wedding, sunk by the unplanned showing up of the brides ex on the morning of the ceremony. In so few scenes so muchs expressedabout wealth, toxic masculinity, sexual repression, and more. The works easily the best of Lorcas rural plays, and well worth checking out. ...more
Mariel
Nov 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the men are called horsemen there
Recommended to Mariel by: the man in the moon
The things people seem to know. Her husband in the ground and killers throw dirt on her sleep. A mother-in-law to be. She wishes he had been a girl, if sons had followed. I hear her voice always with a foot in the life she ought to have had. Please, I'm a mother howl. To stay home and restlessness prowls the earth. His face blank until call of duty. I would hope an actor would give only half listening gestures to lean on. The future has already happened and nothing is good enough. I could see ...more
Paquita Maria Sanchez
I'm sad this was my first experience with Lorca, but also hopeful. I have set a low bar for my future reading, and look forward to being pleasantly surprised by his poetry, maybe?
Roy Lotz
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bodas de Sangre, or Blood Weddings, is an odd combination of the ancient and the modern. The story could not be more elemental: the conflict of love and duty, the tragedy of death. And yet the style is pure Lorcasymbolic, surrealistic, modern. The play is effective, not for any subtlety or refinement, but for the sheer amount of force that Lorca brings to bear on the main themes. The characters are nameless archetypes, whose speech is poetic passion. Lorcas use of naturalistic imagery in his ...more
Shana
Jun 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, plays
I didn't actually read the play. I listened to a radio broadcast of the play from the BBC (1986). The story is quite simple, but that's the beauty of it. It'a a classic story. A story of forbidden love. I'm definately going to make sure I read/see/listen to the next two parts of the trilogy. While the language is quite 'heavy' some parts, that's what turns it into, in some ways, a Greek Tragedy. (Also, the story is a story the Greek would have come up with.)

"To burn with desire and keep quiet
From BBC Radio 3 - Drama on 3:
An atmospheric re-working by Ted Hughes of Lorca's evocative meditation on fate, war, tradition, passion and repression. Inspired by the true story of a fatal feud between two families in the Almeria province, high in the mountains of rural Spain.

The third play in Radio 3's broadcast of Federico García Lorca's "Rural Trilogy" from 1930s Spain. This production of Blood Wedding was first broadcast in 2008 and won the Sony Award for best drama that year.

These Lorca's
Fouli
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a very fast read, I read it in two days and that's mainly because this is a play. I don't usually read plays and I don't generally prefer them, but I wanted something different. It was quite good and I liked it, even though plays are meant to be seen, not read. I think that I would love it if I saw it.
Bianca
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays, romance
I found out about this play last week and since I adore reading dramas and tragedies and like most of the Spanish/Latin American writers, I told myself it would definitely be a "goodread". It is rather not... I bet it sounds a lot better in its original tongue especially since there are very many poems and songs, which must sound divine in Spanish, but not even that, I am almost certain, could correct the thin storyline. It is almost like unfinished, a draft of something that could potentially ...more
Erin
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Actual rating: 2.5/5 stars... I had to read this book for college and to be honest I didn't really enjoy it. I don't know if it's that it confused me or that the long passages of poetic speech were dull but I definitely wouldn't have chose to read it of my own free will.
Sandra
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very dramatic play. There is not doubt that Lorca has a way to move you through his invented story. Fiction? Non-fiction? Who cares? Does it matter? All what mattered to me was to find myself being capture by a play which was written years before my mom was born...
Must read if you love drama!
maria
May 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I read this book for the school and i really enjoy it!
Poly
LO AMO TANTO!
Vita Mia Orfeo
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ill have to re-read it soon enough and actually pay attention to the notes, but other than that I enjoyed my time reading this play. ...more
Stuart Aken
Nov 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Described as tragedy in three acts and seven scenes, Blood Wedding is, of course, a theatrical classic. Now; plays are intended to be seen as theyre performed on stage. But, having had some small experience of playwriting and being a novelist and short story writer by nature, I enjoy the challenge of setting such works within the landscape of my own imagination.
This is a work from a culture thats alien to me and that makes it all the more challenging. It also tests its credentials as a renowned
Brandon Hua
Oct 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blood Wedding, by Federico Garcia Lorca is a play with 3 acts. In the beginning, the mother reacts violently when her son asks for a knife to cut the grapes of in the vinyard, after a dispute, he eventually gets the knife. The groom leaves, after hugging his mother. The Neighbor comes to talk with the Mother, and says that the bride was involved with Leonardo Felix, a relative of the men who killed the Mom's husband. The Mom still hates the Felix family and is furious, but she decides to visit ...more
Artemis
Mar 21, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, gritty, plays
Studied this play in Drama and Theatre studies (or was it English? In my school - and my whole educational criteria - it was easy to get the two subjects mixed up). 'Blood Wedding' is a very weird and beautiful Spanish story about a wedding (duh), family feuds, regrets, murder, getting lost in the woods, bloody knives, and how we are all foolhardy when we are young and are unable to learn from our mistakes.

There's a sort of Highwayman, silver-lining vibe to the atmosphere of this tragic,
Amy
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ive never read any Lorca, so I was curious. I sometimes like a passionate Spanish writer. Olé! This was fine. It was kind of predictable, and there were random song breaks. Lets sing the baby to sleep for ten pages with a song that marginally applies to the situation at hand! was the theme of this play. A man falls in love with a woman (or just decided to marry her because thats what you do and shes pretty; its debatable) and his mom is all no no! I have lost my husband and my other son to ...more
Samanta
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: plays
Blood Wedding is one of the most famous, if not the most famous, works of Frederico Garcia Lorca. Lorca was a poet and a playwright from Granada, Andalucia (South of Spain). He loves his homeland, feels a deep connection to it and uses it profoundly in his work. His work is always full of typical symbols of Andalucia: sun, heat, oranges, land, moon, blood as a liquid and as family, horse, etc. He was also a great lover of Greek tragedy and was responsible for bringing back the real tragedy to ...more
Marco
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read and studied Yerma and La Casa de Bernarda Alba by Lorca at university last semester and, ever since, I have wanted to read Bodas de Sangre, which is part of his "Rural Trilogy".
I really enjoyed it in this book you can find typical themes and symbolism commonly used by Lorca and you also can, like in his other novels, perceive certain aspects of the society from the twentieth century, which is always a positive aspect.
Madina
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: schoolwork
i really liked it, omg. best characters were obviously all the women in the play (especially the bride) but special mention to the moon for personifying the relentless hunter of truth beautifully. as always, i'm a sucker for 1) tragedies 2) imageries with fire & sharp objects 3) themes of defying fate.
Tessa
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
After reading Yerma, I was even more excited for this one. And it was so worth it.

Bodas de Sangre is incredibly dramatic, but also incredibly good. It tells a love story that goes wrong because sometimes love doesn't know how to be right. It is a story about temptation, death and pain. And it is the beautifully sad ending to this amazing trilogy.
Lindsay Wuchner
Jul 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spanish-novels, plays
Another great play by Federico García Lorca. Now that I have read this play, Yerma, and La casa de Bernalda Alba, I understand a little more where he was coming from. Great read and didn't take that much time.
Akanksha Chattopadhyay
So very reminiscent of Riders to the Sea, needless to say, Synge's play had had a stronger effect on me.
Anna Belkovska
Mar 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
Everything happened very fast for spanish people.
Alejandra
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I owe my passion for reading to this author and his spectacular books! Read in Spanish if possible. His authenticity and inspiration is better reflected and enjoyed.
Lidia Mascaró
Intense stuff, coolio
ella
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, plays
OH WOW. i might be on a bit of a book high after just finishing this but if this isnt the best play ive ever read i just dont know what. yes, shakespeare may be the master of the craft but blood wedding is raw, powerful, passionate. it takes control of your blood and sweeps you along and theres no way to escape. its so accessible yet endlessly intricate and theres really nothing to do except read it and then truly understand what lorca meant by duende because this. is. it. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Don Álvaro o la fuerza del sino
  • El tragaluz
  • La dama del alba
  • Campos de Castilla
Born in Fuente Vaqueros, Granada, Spain, June 5 1898; died near Granada, August 19 1936, García Lorca is one of Spain's most deeply appreciated and highly revered poets and dramatists. His murder by the Nationalists at the start of the Spanish civil war brought sudden international fame, accompanied by an excess of political rhetoric which led a later generation to question his merits; after the ...more