Start by marking “The Happy Prince and Other Tales” as Want to Read:
The Happy Prince and Other Tales

The Happy Prince and Other Tales

Oscar Wilde made up these very special fairy stories for children. He was telling them more than stories about princes, giants, nightingales, and roses, he was teaching them about life and the way to live it. You will find in them so much sweetness and tenderness you will never forget them.

They can be read aloud to children of six, and everybody will want a copy for their
Published October 10th 1995 by Everyman's Library (first published May 1888)

To ask other readers questions about The Happy Prince and Other Tales, please sign up.
Naísia The difference between the Prince and the Rocket is motivation: The Prince does something by mercy for others; the Rocket wants to do something by…moreThe difference between the Prince and the Rocket is motivation: The Prince does something by mercy for others; the Rocket wants to do something by pride, for self congratulation.(less)

Start your review of The Happy Prince and Other Tales
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Happy Prince and Other Tales = The Happy Prince and Other Stories, Oscar Wilde
The Happy Prince and Other Tales is a collection of stories for children by Oscar Wilde first published in May 1888. It contains five stories: "The Happy Prince", "The Nightingale and the Rose", "The Selfish Giant", "The Devoted Friend", and "The Remarkable Rocket".
The Happy Prince: In a town where a lot of poor people suffer and where there are a lot of miseries, a swallow who was left behind after his flock flew
Sidharth Vardhan
“I like to do all the talking myself. It saves time, and prevents arguments.”

These are a lot like Andersen's tales - fairy-tale kind of prose, talking objects, often with sad elements and sad endings. Add to it, Wilde's popular witticisms. The Rose and Nightingale is one of the most beautiful stories I have read.

“I hate
K.D. Absolutely
Apr 15, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: 501 Must Read Books
Shelves: 501, childrens
The popular author of The Book Thief, Markus Zusak aptly says in his introduction of this book: "There's something in these fairy tales that reminds me why any of us would want to be readers and writers in the first place, and that is that, the more amazing the stories become, the more I believe them, and the more I realize that I won't forget them." For me, these stories are truly unforgettable!

The Happy Prince : 5 stars (Amazing!)

A formerly rich and only child prince is now a regal statue. The
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Happy Prince and Other Tales (also called "The Happy Prince and Other Stories") is a collection of stories for children by Oscar Wilde first published in May 1888. It contains five stories: "The Happy Prince", "The Nightingale and the Rose", "The Selfish Giant", "The Devoted Friend", and "The Remarkable Rocket".
Melindam
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Note to self: never ever try to read/finish this book on a train or anywhere in public!

description

To think that the author who kept the stiff Victorians in stitches with his plays could write such heart-wrenching stuff....

Ahhhh, don't talk to me today, I am totally undone.
Alex
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
A Beautiful Collection for All Ages

Each little story is a beautifully told allegory touching to the heart. You will never be too old or too young to appreciate the marvellous moral in each story.

The stories in this collection are: The Happy Prince, The Nightingale and the Rose, The Selfish Giant, The Devoted Friend, and The Remarkable Rocket.

Many of my favourite epigrams come from this collection. Here are a few gems (of many):

"Surely Love is a wonderful thing. It is more precious than
Srividya
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Srividya by: Fatty Bolger
When you truly live your life, you have to learn to accept and maybe expect the rare and unexpected surprises that might be in store for you. These unanticipated wonders often bring about a lot of joy in our lives and sometimes also have the capacity of teaching us a gentle yet important lesson. My surprise for the day was this small little book, a set of short stories written by Oscar Wilde and believe me I was simply floored by the simplicity as well as the complexity there was in these tales. ...more
classic reverie
These short stories were recommended by a Goodreads' friend, Amira K. after we were discussing Oscar Wilde's "The Portrait of Dorian Gray" (1890) and how I might like the children stories in "The Happy Prince and Other Tales" (1888). So I then put them on my list to read this year and having just finished these stories, I wanted to comment on both these books before I talk of the short stories.

If you heard or read "The Portrait of Dorian Gray", you would know how dark a book it is and seeing
Debbie Zapata
Dec 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gutenberg
I have found that any author I was forced to read in my ancient school days tends to be ignored these days when I can choose my own reading. Oscar Wilde certainly fits that statement. I remember having to dissect The Picture Of Dorian Gray for some class or other, and the only other work of his I have read since then was The Importance Of Being Earnest. I enjoyed that, but it did not inspire me to discover any more about or by Wilde.

But a few days ago I noticed a review by fellow GR group member
Sara
Oscar Wilde does fairy tales--a kind of strange mixture.

The title story, The Happy Prince, and its successor, The Nightingale and the Rose, are a bit sorrowful and bleak. I dare say the main takeaway might be that love brings death and is much unappreciated. The Selfish Giant is an almost religious tale in which an act of kindness is rewarded...the sort of tale in which the main character does not realize who he is aiding but proves his worth by his unselfish act.

The fourth story was my
pink pills and paper
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a collection of five short stories, that are fairy-tale-like moral fables, not only for children, but drenched in subtle hints aimed at the older readers.

When questioned about the maturity of the language in his stories, Wilde ridiculed the idea that "extremely limited vocabulary at the disposal of the British child" should be "the standard by which the prose of an artist is to be judged".

These tales are dark and colorful at the same time, and deal mostly with selfishness, compassion,
Sumit RK
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is real gem. A collection of five short stories.Each story beautifully woven around a moral. The stories are simple but evoke strong emotions. Every story may make you happy or make you sad (mostly) but each one will surely touch your heart.Oscar Wilde is a true genius. Highly Recommended !!!
Deborah Markus
Nov 29, 2014 rated it liked it
If this book doesn't make you want to curl up with a nice hot cup of arsenic and maybe some razor blades, you read a different edition than I did. Apparently Wilde read Hans Christian Anderson and thought, "Dang nab it, I can write way way depressing fairy tales, too!"

Not saying it's not pretty. Just saying.
Mario
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, own-read

4.5*

This was one of my favorite books that I have read as a child, and I have to say that, after re-reading it, I ended up loving it even more.

The Happy Prince - 5*
The Nightingale and the Rose - 5*
The Selfish Giant - 5*
The Devoted Friend - 4*
The Remarkable Rocket - 3*
Nikki
This is a beautiful little collection of stories. I thought I'd never read any of them, but I'd definitely read "The Selfish Giant" before, and some of the others seemed familiar. The stories are all a little like fairy tales, though, so that's probably part of it.

My favourites were "The Nightingale and the Rose" and "The Fisherman and His Soul", I think. All of them are lovely, though. I especially like the beginning of Star-Child. Some of the lines in it are gorgeous, like: "And when they came
Amelia Oswald
The Devoted Friend: 3 stars
The Remarkable Rocket: 2,5 stars
Alice
Nov 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Wilde and short stories. Literature/Creative writing students.
I do really like Oscar Wilde, so giving this collectiont three stars pains me somewhat. It's not that they aren't well written, they're just incredibly sad and frustrating. "The Devoted Friend", for example, just annoyed me. There are no happy endings and, call me old fashioned, but I think happy endings in children's stories are a necessity. That being said I read "The Selfish Giant" many times as a child. Whether it did me any good or not remains to be seen!

From an analytical point of view I
Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ...
I understand the charm of fairy tales but never fully engage in them. This book is written by the master, Oscar Wilde, and I think that is the only reason I connected at all. He is an extraordinary writer. Everything he does enhances my assessment of him: he is a genius.

My reactions to the nine stories included in this volume were varied.

The most succesful:

The Happy Prince: 4.5 stars

A statue stands in a town where the members of the community stop to marvel at its beauty. But the statue used to
Wastrel
Wilde is a fantastic prose stylist, if you can tolerate his style, and this is one of his most accessible works, as well as a surprising one in many ways for those with certain preconceived notions of the author: Wilde here often puts his aesthetic pose second to his political and moral views - two things that 'Oscar Wilde' wasn't meant to have at all.

On the other hand, this probably isn't the best demonstration of Wilde's skills. The idea of the arch-sophisticate taking on the genre of simple,
HebatAllah Hassan
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
I fell in love with Oscar Wilde's writings ever since I read his "The Nightengale and the Rose" when one of my friends gave it to me saying: "Oh, Heba, read it; it's truly touching." And I was not disappointed; the first time I read it I wept of frustration, I was deeply deeply touched. So, knowing that this story is part of Wilde's "The Happy Prince and Other Tales", I decided to read it as a whole hoping to find stories better, if there can be anything better, or at least at the same level as ...more
Amina
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Amina by: Hitessh Panchal
Short stories with morals, I love that!
As always, many thanks Hitessh for the great recommendation!
Eman
Jan 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone.
The Happy Prince and Other Tales is my first read for Oscar Wilde, and it won't be the last. It's combined of 5 short stories, each story carries a moral at the end of it. I'm not sure if this book is appropriate to be narrated for kids at bedtime, because... (view spoiler).

How did I like each story?

The Happy Prince:
3 stars, liked it.

The
Karen ⊰✿
So naturally I only read this as it was written by Wilde, and that is possibly the only reason why it is still in publication because the stories are quite different to contemporary children's tales. Drowning in religion and with very heavy and obvious moral themes, I think readers today prefer a bit more subtlety.
Greg
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
There are two truly beautiful stories here: "The Happy Prince" (which I've read numerous times in other collections) and "The Selfish Giant" (which I've never encountered anywhere and I think it is one of Wilde's best works.) A children's book? Yes. A book for everyone? Absolutely!
Vesna
The overall rating is just a result of a simple mathematical division. The only rating that really matters is the one for The Happy Prince. And it is a pure 5 stars!
I have read The Happy Price countless times and cried my eyes out again and again. But I would/will do it again, it's worth the pain! As for the other stories , I encountered them for the first time.
My ratings go like this:

The Happy Prince *****
Infinitely sad, infinitely perfect. Ultimate sacrifice made for the good of others, repaid
Katie
Wilde was rather an interesting writer. He wrote about society and manners, and he wrote about morality and the pitfalls relating to that. He combines all of that in these stories. Surprisingly, they're also quite religious, which I wasn't expecting.

Some really sweet morality tales here. The Selfish Giant, The Young King, and The Happy Prince stand out for me. I don't particularly care for morality to be linked with religion, though, so I think that's why my rating isn't higher.

Some very sad
 Marple

This book contains six short stories and my favorites were the remarkable rocket , the devoted friend and the happy price.

The happy Prince
The young king
The selfish giant
The remarkable rocket
The nightingale and the rose
The devoted friend

Very nice collection of short stories that fulfills entertainment and wise message to the young folks.

I always read children's books and I can distinguish the good ones from the ordinary. And this one is absolutely one of my favorite.

I will start translating it
Hoda هدى
All these stories felt so real and authentic. They just reminded me how skillful Oscar Wilde is.
Hafsa Sabira
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
While growing up, I unknowingly read many Oscar Wilde stories without knowing the name of the writer. The stories were includes in the English for Today board book and in the test papers for comprehensive parts. Even though I enjoyed the stories with intertwined simplicity and moral lessons, I didn't know the artist who depicted them so well.

After discovering this book and going through the pages as slowly as possible, I couldn't help but wonder how much efficiency does one possess to write
Cheryl M-M
Aug 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Today I decided to get an old dusty favourite out to read. Why you may ask, why today of all days would you choose Wilde?
Why have you picked this book over something equally superb and known for its literary prowess...you know something that features:

[image error]
GIFSoup

That's right goblins, goblin sex and oh baby eating goblins.
I mean isn't that the kind of book you think of straight away when you think of renowned playwrights like Wilde.

[image error]
GIFSoup

Yeh, I know I was kind of

• An Odyssey of the North
  • Maese Zacarias
  • Un mariage à Lyon
  • Scharlach (Fischer Klassik Plus)
  • Der Zwang
  • Arayışlar
  • Rahel Rechtet Mit Gott. Legenden
  • Ah'lar Ağacı
  • Olağanüstü Bir Gece
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet, and author of numerous short stories, and one novel. Known for his biting wit, and a plentitude of aphorisms, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being ...more
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” 67500 likes
“Life is one fool thing after another whereas love is two fool things after each other.” 174 likes