Start by marking “Nigel Slater's Real Food” as Want to Read:
Nigel Slater's Real Food

Nigel Slater's Real Food

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  969 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Accompanying an eight-part TV series on Channel 4, this cookery book includes all the recipes shown, plus many more. Slater's unpretentious style means that he finds good things to make using mass-produced white bread and standard English confectionery, as well as the finest Italian loaves.
Published October 6th 2003 by Fourth Estate (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Nigel Slater's Real Food, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nigel Slater's Real Food

Philippa
Jun 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2010
I think I'd buy a book about paint drying if Nigel Slater wrote it.
Susanne
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My favorite food author. Full stop.
Valerie
Nigel Slater's Real Food was originally published in 1998 and accompanied the television series of that name at that time. I have just discovered it, the book. I've bought the older, 1998 hardback edition (it was republished in 2014) second-hand online via an Amazon seller for the grand price of £0.01 before postage. What a find! What a bargain! The book is pristine, looks unread, and may even have been unloved by some fast food addict, but I only had to flick through the pages, then delve a lit ...more
Cath
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nigel-slater
I received the Real Food 2017 Book as a Christmas Present. My family know I love Nigel's recipes, always interesting and easy to follow. Think I have most of his books now.

This book gives you ideas for ingredient's you have in your fridge. You fancy something different from your usual recipes, this book has it. I had sausage in the fridge and made the sausage and potato pie, something I would have never thought about, it was lovely and the recipe for Browned onion and Madeira gravy, mouth wateri
Nancy Harbord
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Real Food by Nigel Slater is the book that introduced me to food – and to the joys of a gorgeous cookbook. One of the best cookbooks ever written, a glorious harmony of recipes you want to stuff into your face and some of the best food writing available in English.

The photography is scrappy and full of blurry movement – huge zoomy closeups of melting cheese, crusts cracking, potatoes steaming, as well as moody, grainy still life photography of luscious ingredients. All swaddled in Nigel Slater’s
Rebecca
Sep 27, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food, cookbooks, reviewed
The recipes are alright, but they seemed to me very similar to ones in other Nigel recipe books (from both before and after this one was published). The concept is comfort food focusing on 8 different key ingredients, and the recipes are appealing, but I felt like it just wasn't as good as Real Fast Food: 350 Recipes Ready To Eat In 30 Minutes which has a similar concept but is packed full of far more recipes and variations, and less slightly sexual food writing - 'the pleasure I get from squash ...more
Deb
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Finishing up cooking with Nigel Slater for the past six months for I Heart Cooking Clubs and this is probably the book I have cooked from the least. It's not that it isn't good but is more meat-centric than some of his other books and that isn't how I eat these days. Also, since it centers around food by type (like sausages, potatoes, ice cream, cheese, etc.) it is not as comprehensive as the other books. Still, Slater's food writing is always top-notch and the two dishes I did make were easy to ...more
Karen Foster
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just love this book. Though basically a cook book, this is such a wonderful read.
Nigel Slater picks his 8 favorite foods, and dedicates a chapter to each... and he starts each chapter with what I can only call a 'love letter' to each of these simple ingredients.
Be it the humble potato, his love of chicken, his passion for garlic etc etc... He has a way with words that evoke such nostalgic memories, such mouth-watering images and such simple pleasures - I can't think of anyone who writes about
Samantha
Jan 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: eaters!
Recommended to Samantha by: found this when I moved into a new apartment
Shelves: food-and-cookery
Even though Nigel Slater can sometimes be annoying this cookbook is simply full of delcious things to eat. And he compliments his good food with good words. The writing is eloquent and stomach-rumbling! Read this, get hungry and then go to the kitchen and cook something from it!
Manritas
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Empowering in inspiring you to make simple food quickly and easily. The reason it doesn't get a 5 is that it is quite British. Lots of toast and potatoes, which sound delicious but might not be the highest on the health charts.
Robin
Nov 14, 2012 rated it liked it
As a vegetarian, the limited number of focus ingredients made this a bit less useful to me. I much preferred The Kitchen Diaries, which includes a lot more casual and often meatless meals, as well as great story-telling.
Linnea
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Except for the fact that I'm not too quick at converting metric in my head, I loved this book - great recipes, great ideas, and it is all "real" food. I also really like his commentary about each recipe and the way that it is broken into 8 of his favorite foods as chapters - clever.
Riley Edwards
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Nigel Slater makes cooking and eating a pleasure with his unpretentious recipes in which his love of food is obvious and infectious. This book has had a huge influence on me, and is a wonderful addition to any kitchen bookshelf.
Bird
Feb 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
We've lent this book out to many people, especially those new to cooking. I love his instructions for garlic bread. Loads of butter, garlic, etc., and the note that the reader's challenge is to fit it all in the loaf. Wheee!
H
Mar 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say? ......Nigel Slater you are are one of the best!
A.J.
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The sort of cookbook that gets me straight into the kitchen. Lovely stuff.
Irene
Dec 16, 2011 added it
An inspiring use of fresh and readily availble produce. I appreciate Nigel Slater's down to earth approach
Michelle
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of my most used cookery books. You can tell coz the pages are mostly stuck together with all sorts of yumminess!
Beth
Jan 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
fab recipes
Dorothy
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Luscious Brit food.
Arfi
Jul 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Always love what he writes and cooks. It seems to me that he makes no efforts whatsoever to produce delicious goods!
Alexis
May 16, 2009 added it
Shelves: cookbooks
Nigel Slater's Real Food by Nigel Slater (2000)
Maxam1810
  • The River Cafe Cookbook
  • Leon: Naturally Fast Food: Book 2
  • Delia Smith's Winter Collection: 150 Recipes for Winter
  • Mexican Food Made Simple
  • Crazy Water Pickled Lemons: Enchanting Dishes from the Middle East, Mediterranean and North Africa
  • Homebaking: The Artful Mix of Flour and Tradition Around the World
  • Italian Food
  • Made in Italy: Food and Stories
  • How to Eat: The Pleasures and Principles of Good Food
  • The Naked Chef
  • Flavors
Nigel Slater is a British food writer, journalist and broadcaster. He has written a column for The Observer Magazine for seventeen years and is the principal writer for the Observer Food Monthly supplement. Prior to this, Slater was food writer for Marie Claire for five years. He also serves as art director for his books.

Although best known for uncomplicated, comfort food recipes presented in earl
More about Nigel Slater

• Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood
    $10.74 $2.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99