Start by marking “The Cook's Herb Garden” as Want to Read:
The Cook's Herb Garden

The Cook's Herb Garden

How many times have you followed a recipe but missed out the fresh herbs because you didn't have them? Or used dried herbs instead? Well, have you considered growing your personal favorites so they're always at your fingertips?

Dried herbs no longer have a place in the cook's cabinet. Most recipe books recommend fresh herbs, which can be expensive and difficult to find.
Published February 15th 2010 by DK (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Cook's Herb Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cook's Herb Garden

Start your review of The Cook's Herb Garden
Peter
A really handy little book about growing and using herbs for culinary pleasure, with some useful recipes.

Recommended.
Andrew
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm very impressed with the amount of detail included in this practical guide to growing, harvesting and cooking with herbs.
Carolyn Page
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book started out kind of backwards to what I was used to, with sample selection of herbs in plantings for various purposes. Then it moves on to a visual dictionary of various herbs and their flavors and uses. Then follows direction on growing different herbs in different situations, various methods of soil stabilization and weed removal, and aesthetics of planting herbs. Following that are instructions on how to harvest herbs, and long-term storage. The final third of the book is pretty ...more
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
My mom sent me this for my birthday :) Great info for a beginning gardener- I found I wanted even MORE information on the plants provided, but found incredibly useful tips on growing together, watering, pruning, and sowing. Hopefully my plant babies will make it through the season! Also loving the recipes in the back, will most likely veganize them.
Christina
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful pictures and great details! This book is perfect for anyone interested in gardening whether you're a beginner or a master gardener. This book is a nice quick guide for herbs and is super easy to read.
Meredith
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fresh herbs are better when it comes to cooking, so I decided to do a little digging (pun intended) into what herbs I could try to grow this spring. This book is a nice start for the novice gardener.
Shaina Robbins
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not as helpful as I had hoped.
Freda Mans-Labianca
Mar 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Spring is right around the corner, and now is the perfect time for any beginner gardeners to grab a copy of this book. Personally, I found this book very useful in more ways than I imagined. Not only does it cover herbs, as stated in the title. It also covers; most plants and flowers, and even had recipes inside.
Any of you who read my blog know how I love them recipes!! So I had to try one out.
This was my first experience with avocados, and I had fun, but will adapt the recipe a little next time
Annie Matthys
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Succinct, helpful, and interesting! As someone who is hoping to learn about herb gardening on a more in-depth basis, this explained the no-brainer basics of both growing, harvesting, and usage (how to dry, etc.). The recipes are really tempting, too! The physical size of the book is convenient, and I know I will refer back to it time and again in the garden and kitchen.
Donna
Jan 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really good guide to culinary herbs, how to grow them and what to do with them in cooking. A good reference book, I have renewed this so many times from the library that am now going to have to buy a copy because they won't let me renew it anymore!!
claire
May 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Very beautiful book. Not a detailed guide by any means but there is some really valuable information lovingly shared with striking visuals and careful descriptions. A good primer for the beginner herb enthusiast!
Karyn
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. While I want to think of myself as a true veggie gardener, I think I might be really more of an herb and flower gardener. :-) This book, while simple, would be a reference book I'd enjoy having on my shelves.
Stefanie
May 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good and concise information on basics for growing and harvesting herbs. Includes pictures and tips for different kinds. Has some good recipes that give you a start on what you can do with herbs for cooking. Also tips on making your own herbal tea!
Serity
Mar 05, 2013 rated it liked it
good overview on the herbs, how to grow, harvest, and propagate them. also, i really enjoyed the recipe ideas in the back - gave me a lot of creative ideas. not sure i would actually make many of them, but it was fun to dream about having the time to do it!
PWRL
Jul 11, 2011 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2011-new
E
Barbara
Mar 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-reads
Loved the ideas in this book. More because I think I can garden, some great things to try and ways to use the herbs I grow! Will def check this book out again in July/August
Zuzana
Feb 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Výborná pre začínajúcich bylinkárov :) Netreba čakať veľký katalóg bylín, skôr je zameraná na základné rady o pestovaní, zbere, skladovaní a úprave základných druhov kuchynských bylín.
Robin
Mar 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Novice to gardening and picked up this book to get started with herbs.

I can see myself returning to this book again and again for reference.
J Crossley
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a gardening book specializing in culinary herbs. It gives advice with how to plant and cultivate the herbs, and it provides recipes as to how the herbs can be used.
Tara
Apr 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Extremely useful for beginning herb gardeners. I found the suggested layouts for potted herbs to be very helpful. The recipes were a nice surprise, too. Great book!
Pia Jensen Ray
Jan 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful book with lots of inspiration on how to use and grow herbs. I love all the beautiful and clear photos in it - they really help me find what I need.
Dearwassily
May 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: food, non-fiction
Nothing special, a simple, informational text with some recipes.
Imen Stitches
Jun 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
Lovely photos. Informative for "back yard" herbs.
Siya

• Balaboosta
  • Heritage
  • Pride, Prejudice, and Other Flavors
  • Design Motifs of Ancient Mexico
  • The Scrum Fieldbook: A Master Class on Accelerating Performance, Getting Results, and Defining the Future
  • The 4 Disciplines of Execution: Achieving Your Wildly Important Goals
  • The Essential Scratch  Sniff Guide to Becoming a Wine Expert: Take a Whiff of That
  • Pasta Grannies: The Official Cookbook: The Secrets of Italy's Best Home Cooks
  • Rita Moreno: A Memoir
  • Eurydice
  • Cooked Up: An Anthology of Stories about Food
  • Backyard Winter Gardening: Vegetables Fresh and Simple, in Any Climate, Without Artificial Heat or Electricity - The Way It's Been Done for 2,000 Years
  • Honey & Co. at Home: Middle Eastern Recipes from Our Kitchen