Start by marking “Cartographies of Time: A History of the Timeline” as Want to Read:
Cartographies of Time: A History of the Timeline

Cartographies of Time: A History of the Timeline

What does history look like? How do you draw time?

From the most ancient images to the contemporary, the line has served as the central figure in the representation of time. The linear metaphor is ubiquitous in everyday visual representations of time—in almanacs, calendars, charts, and graphs of all sorts. Even our everyday speech is filled with talk of time having a "befor
Published March 3rd 2010 by Princeton Architectural Press

To ask other readers questions about Cartographies of Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cartographies of Time

Patrick
Mar 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Visually pleasing, with much background on ancient representations. Includes some classics that Tufte et al. have referenced. Nevertheless disappointing - I was hoping for a more fundamental discussion of conceptual models of time, and how these shape our visual representations. Lacking are such models as those from narrative time (e.g., Paul Ricoeur and Gérard Genette). A discussion of animated representations is also sorely lacking, since these incorporate time into the representation itself. ...more
Antonio Delgado
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cartographies are often ignored or considered secondary or complimentary sources of knowledge. This book shows that cartographies are not merely representation of information but producers of historical data and appropriations of knowledge for different uses. That includes, being a tool for knowing the past and the future: from creationism to eschatology, from financial data to transportation, from communication to entertainment, from art (photography, paintings and music) to virtual representat ...more
Nathanael Coyne
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: work-related
A beautiful, comprehensive but very interesting book about the history of chronology and timelines from very basic linear lists organised by intervals of time through to amazing hand-illustrated maps the like of which we don't see produced any more. I bought this book to help me get out of the constrained thinking of basic calendars controls and drop-down lists when designing user interfaces ... and it certainly did that. I admit I was mainly interested in the pictures, but the narrative is defi ...more
Elijah Meeks
Mar 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This beautifully referenced, beautifully illustrated exploration of the visualization of temporal phenomena is even more impressive than the many syllables that began this sentence. It turns on its head the normalization of temporal representation began by Priestley and documents so many different forms of temporal representation that it is a must for anyone concerned with the visualization of knowledge, especially if they intend to have a temporal element to that visualization.
Michael Scott
Jul 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: art, design
TODO full review:
+++/- A book dedicated to visualizing time! Great idea, if only the implementation would deliver.
+ Claim that time is not fully understood and charted in sync with Edward R. Tufte's similar idea.
++/- Excellent coverage of the idea of time in Western culture, from historical time onwards. Only occasional contributions from Asia, Arabia, and Native America.
++ Good historical explanations on the origins of time charts and graphs in Western culture, related to how religion (the maj
Charles
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It's full of very interesting history and stories. The author must have spent untold hours in research. I liked the graphics too but even though I could enlarge them on my iPad, they were still mostly unreadable. I wish they had been vector images. That way they could have been enlarged to any degree desired without affecting image quality. The images did make me appreciate the graphic tools that I have.
Em
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: data-vis, history
This book took FOREVER to read, for a few reasons:

* It mentions a lot of fascinating things and people in passing, so I kept looking those up and reading about them.
* Although the content is really interesting, it's not written in a particularly engaging way.

I learnt a lot, but I wouldn't recommend the ebook version. The pictures are just too small and low-resolution; they don't do the topic justice.
catechism
This is a very pretty book (although many of the illustrations could have been bigger), and it's sometimes an interesting and well-written one (assuming you are into hilarious chronography puns!), but I didn't feel it hung together very well, and I'm not sure if it was because the authors were trying to do too much or too little. eg: It mentions that the evolution of the timeline is a conceptual one, but the concept of time itself is largely ignored. The work of narrative historiography, while o ...more
Matthew
Mar 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: design-type-etc
The illustrations in the book present a wide range of intriguing documents, from the intricate and esoteric to the refined and minimalistic. For me, the illustrations form the core value of the book, making the small size of many of the images puzzling. There's plenty of space that could be used without cramping the design, but some pictures are left stamp-sized and illegible in a sea of white.

The accompanying text is generally clear, presenting a written chronology to accompany the images. As a
Liam
Dec 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
"Already in the fourth century Eusebius had developed a sophisticated table structure to organize and reconcile chronologies drawn from historical sources from all over the world. To clearly present the relations between Jewish, pagan, and Christian histories, Eusebius laid out their chronologies in parallel columns that began with the patriarch Abraham and the founding of Assyria." (15)

"Chronographics had lost its original function as the key to the Bible [by the eighteenth century], but had ga
Benjamin
Oct 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: History buffs.
Grafton crafts an excellent and engaging tale of the evolution of the timeline since the days of ancient Greece. Incredibly lush visually, the text is also very well constructed and nearly perfectly matched to the illustrations in rhythm and impact. A coffee-table book that is well worth your time to actually read and digest.
mali
I couldn't get more than halfway through. There's almost no narrative here - no story. That makes the myriad examples appear as scattered cases without much relationship to each other. It was hard to stay interested. The pretty pictures didn't make up for a lack of substance; random exemplars do not a riveting book make.
Mahasweta
Sep 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
The book is a visual treat! More than that, it is a comprehensive and lucid survey of the timeline. Intended by the authors or not, _Cartographies of Time_ provides a holistic view of history, as it unfolds simultaneously across different spaces and places.
Ashish Goyal
Nov 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Big effort that probably pleases the specialists in the area of graphical representation of history/timelines.

The narrative needed to weave a story. Couldn't hold my interest.
The visuals needed to be significantly larger or least have portions blown up so that they could be legible.
Charles
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ordered this book from Amazon.
S
Time represented spatially. Neat!
raul
Jan 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A visual feast. So much to digest...
Steve
May 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lots of cool pictures, commentary was interesting also.
Fredrika
Feb 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
a thorough history of the timeline, heck yes.
Jenni
Apr 17, 2010 marked it as to-read
* wishlist *
LaLa
May 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
My complaint is always the same for books like this - can they please be bigger? and have bigger pictures? please!
B Cordelia Yu
May 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Absolutely beautiful book, but the layout makes is really hard to concentrate and read.
Jen