Start by marking “C# in Depth” as Want to Read:
C# in Depth

C# in Depth

C# has changed significantly since it was first introduced. With the many upgraded features, C# is more expressive than ever. However, an in depth understanding is required to get the most out of the language.

C# in Depth, Second Edition is a thoroughly revised, up-to-date book that covers the new features of C# 4 as well as Code Contracts. In it, you'll see the subtleties
Paperback, Second Edition, 554 pages
Published November 22nd 2010 by Manning Publications (first published April 21st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about C# in Depth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about C# in Depth

Amr
Jun 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Amr by: Emad Mokhtar
I like that this book have a friendly tone.
It's not a reference book, but C# in Depth is true to its title. You would like this book if you are a C# developer for 2 years or so and now you're tired of solving all problems with the simple tools of for loops and if statements. Maybe it's time for something more.
The book assumes that you at least know C# 1.0 (VS 2003 and .NET 1.1) and it moves through C# 2, 3 and 4 to build on the features of each version.
Sometimes you'll find this way a little irr
Andre
Apr 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I didn't really like the book at all for the first 3 sections - I felt like it, ironically, didn't give ENOUGH detail.

But then I got to Chapter 12, titled "LINQ beyond collections" and, honestly, was stunned. I'd guess that most of the people in my circle believe that LINQ is a shiny object rather than a powerful functional tool which enables a wide variety of use cases.

So, with that said, bravo, Mr. Skeet. In terms of recommendations, I'd be more likely to refer people to chapters of the book r
Garythorpe
Jul 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Have been fortunate enough to meet Jon and listen to his talks at some Microsoft conferences. A self confessed pedant, Jon has a great passion for C# and development in general. Considering his main job role is in Java he has an astonishing breadth of knowledge of C# presented well in this book.

This book is not for a beginner wanting to learn the basics of the language, more for people wanting to learn the bits most people miss.

If you are an intermediate to the language I would recommend readin
Gishu Pillai
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know Jon Skeet from my time as a beta tester on Stackoverflow.com - when I learned that he has a book on C#, I immediately grabbed a copy

Once you are past the beginners level of C#, this is THE book to read. Crisp, concise, comprehensive - the author's grasp of the language is stupefying at times given that he works (still?) in Java for his day job. Loved the way the book is like a mini history lesson in the evolution of C# - which is in IMHO the best in terms of how the language has evolved o
Ahmed Salem
Oct 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
I tried reading the book from cover to cover and I failed.
I tried reading specific topics related with my current focus and that ROCKS!

Organizing the book based on each version of the language is facilitating reaching your topic easily and get the complete picture about the evolution of C#.

Yet the illustration could be difficult for some topics! (e.g. delegates)
Ahmed Salem
Sep 16, 2014 rated it liked it
I tried reading the book from cover to cover and I failed.
I tried reading specific topics related with my current focus and that ROCKS!

Yehia Abo el-nga
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very good C# manual. It unrolls some of the language "magic" features (i.e. lambda expressions, delegates, asynchrony and tuple destructions and so on). I would have personally preferred if it went a bit more in the direction of C# best practices. However, I totally understand that this might not be the best venue for that topic. Maybe an idea for another book :)
Krishna Kumar
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It is rare to see a book that simply explains the features of a language being so engrossing while informative at the same time. Jon Skeet takes us from C# 1 through 4 and does a great job of explaining how one feature builds upon another, what the gotchas are, what the pros and cons are of a feature, how the language has progressed from wordy to extremely sleek and competent.

There are many things to recommend about the book. First, I liked the way that Skeet touches upon features from C# 1 and
Kevin Garner
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Prepare for a deep dive.

There's not much I can add to the reviews of Jon Skeet's "C# in Depth," so I'll say this: as a relatively new developer, I ignored the advice of the reviews ("this book is not for less experienced programmers") and immediately read this book. While I agree with the sentiment that people like me should approach the book with caution, I highly value the exposure that it gives to the inner workings of C#. What's more, the difficulty of this material gave me an idea: as each
Hovhannes Gulyan
Feb 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
Highly recommended for all mid-level(or higher) c# developers.
As a starting point Troelsen's book on C# would be a better fit.
After that if you are ready to dive deeper into c#, go ahead and read "C# in Depth".

"C# in Depth" helps to get significant knowledge about core features of C#. The way Jon Skeet goes over all versions of C# out there, helps to get more insights on different aspects of features and their implementation.

I would say that the most notable part of the book is the fact that Jo
Arun Mahendrakar
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'll keep it simple and to the point:
Best take aways from this book (YMMV):
* Chapter 14, about DLR and the dynamic keyword: Probably the MOST comprehensive and detailed material available in any form book/article/blog/whitepaper. The amount of information Jon Skeet gives you in this chapter about the dynamic keyword is simply immeasurable.
* Chapter 9, about Lambda expressions and Expression trees: Using 'Func' in my code has never come to me naturally (never before, I should say). Now I know wha
Igoris Azanovas
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very technical, it is supported both from theoretical way and from practical way. Some sections are very hard to grasp, that are advanced which most of people are not using, but it is good to know. It is like knowing what is under cars hood, how it works and how to disassemble and put it back again without breaking it. I liked that Jon Skeet did not delve into anything that is not associated directly with c# (like .net library, cls or jit), but he distinguished the boundaries of other items and ...more
Rene Stein
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Třetí edice jedné z nejlepších knihy o jazyce C# (četl jsem i obě předchozí edice).
V této edici jsou přidány kapitoly, ve kterých autor rozebírá nové konstrukce v C# 5.0 - hlavně vše, co souvisí s použitím i interní implementací asynchronního kódu (async/await) a v závěrečné kapitole knihy autor popíše i drobná vylepšení poslední verze C# (řešení známého problému s "closure" u anonymních metod a lambda výrazů při zachycení proměnné použité v cyklu foreach a nové atributy ([CallerFilePath],[Calle
Vladimir Rybalko
Nov 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
It's really brialliant book!
When I start to read I can not stop. Skeet collects all professional and very usefull advices in one book. I think everyone find something usefull in this.
Although, the first chapters seem me too easy. But then chapter by chapter information becomes more interesting and more difficult for understanding. On the other hand I am sure if you read this through thick and thin you will get an excellent knowlodges.
Skeet's book is the best book in my home collection. And I sur
Jeff Dalton
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you are fan of C# then this is a book you should read. Jon provides detail insight into the inner workings of C# language with a little bit of wit and humility. I doubt even Eric Lippert could read this book without learning something. In fact he kind of says that in the introduction. Anyway this is a good piece of work, but made my head spin and explode several times. I look forward to reading it again so I can start to make sense of some of the chapters.
Arvind Balasubramaniam
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is "THE" book I recommend to all my colleagues who're learning C# from scratch. I read it back to back a few years back when it was release and it's served me really well. The tone is quite friendly and readable, unsurprising since Jon's passion for the subject really comes through. For eg. I loved the visual representations of how join queries in Linq are iterated at a lower level. His explanation of concepts is hard to forget once read.
Srinivas Reddy Thatiparthy
Dec 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comp-sci
A super book for knowing C# in depth as title suggests. This is not the book for beginners of the language.Being an Englishman , i think jon wrote this book with two purposes in mind - one being explaining nitty gritty of C#, and other being clarifying misconceptions and correcting misinformation available on C# on the web.

He did the job perfectly.
Sonny Recio
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If I were to recommend a good C# book, this book is one of them. Not only Jon were able to explain advanced features of C# in a cleanly manner, he offers various techniques to make use of them in a simple manner as well.

Ever since I've read the book, I was able to handle generics, lambda, linq queries gracefully and cleanly. I highly recommend the book material.
Jdennis925
Mar 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Some good nuggets, but mostly a trail of the various thoughts of Jon Skeet concerning C#. Loosely written, with anecdotal conclusions.

I would have preferred more direct material that I could site as a reference, as opposed to a general feel for new features. I cant see myself looking up passages in the book at a future date.

Not overly helpful, not good, not bad.
Alena Varkockova
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great book for all junior C# developers wanting to become a senior one. For people that are in the C# world for a longer time, slightly less interesting except the parts where it really goes deep - like the ones where decompiled code for async/await is presented with great explanation. Overall - recommended (although you will probably skip some parts as I did)!
Scott Lerch
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computerscience
If you haven't read this book then you probably haven't mastered C#, unless you actually read the entire Microsoft specification, in which case you have too much free time. This was well written with perfectly concise code samples. After reading I feel I can say I'm an expert in C# with all honesty.
Eric
Oct 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. My mind is still spinning from all the deep implementation details the author provides for everything from LINQ to asynchrony in C# 5.0. This is certainly a classic reference time that will remain on my shelf for years - must read for any C# programmer!
Alexander
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work-library
Отличная книга. Расширяет кругозор и понимание того, что стоит за привычными конструкциями языка. Позволяет увидеть новые интересные подходы к привычным вещам, либо совершенно новые возможности. Строго рекомендую к прочтению!
Ilya
Mar 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tech
As a Java dev starting on a C# project I found C# in Depth a fascinating read. Jon Skeet demonstrated the evolution of C# into a very expressive language. Reading the book got me more excited about writing C# code & exploring the language in practice.
Ognyan Dimitrov
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
At first glance it looks as Jon Skeet has picked up only a few topics to explain. After reading the book I found that these are the major and most important topics of the language progress. Every topic is very well written and very well explained.
Sandeep
Jul 03, 2015 marked it as to-read
have been re-reading this book time and again, this time started with the latest version!
Kim Falk
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
A book every c# developer should read not only because it gets nicely around the c# language, but also because its well written, and a interesting read.

Jakub
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A must read for anyone working in C#. While there are a lot of details that you won't need in your day to day work, it does help knowing them.
Joseph Flesche
The details in this book were easy over my head. I'll have to come back to it later on and try it again after I gain more c# knowledge.
Bill.zhuang
Jan 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Keep reading next version, jon skeet is amazing!

• CLR via C# (Pro-Developer)
  • Effective C#: 50 Specific Ways to Improve Your C#
  • Real-World Functional Programming
  • The Art of Unit Testing: With Examples in .NET
  • Dependency Injection in .NET
  • Agile Principles, Patterns, and Practices in C#
  • Framework Design Guidelines: Conventions, Idioms, and Patterns for Reusable .NET Libraries
  • Pro C# 2010 and the .NET 4 Platform
  • C# 5.0 in a Nutshell: The Definitive Reference
  • jQuery in Action
  • Object-Oriented JavaScript
  • Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmers' Guide
  • Bridging the Communication Gap: Specification by Example and Agile Acceptance Testing
  • iPhone Programming (Big Nerd Ranch Guides)
  • xUnit Test Patterns: Refactoring Test Code
  • Windows Powershell in Action
  • Programming WCF Services
  • jQuery Cookbook: Solutions & Examples for jQuery Developers

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »