Start by marking “Too Pickley!” as Want to Read:
Too Pickley!

Too Pickley!

Too wrinkly, too squishy, too fruity, too fishy!

It's lunchtime, but our fussy little boy does not like a single item on his plate. What is a boy to eat?

Reidy's playful rhyming text is once again brought to life by Leloup's stylish bold art. Parents (and children) will love the hilarious antics the boy goes through, and the reassuring joy at the end
Published July 6th 2010 by Bloomsbury U.S.A. Children's Books (first published July 5th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Too Pickley!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Too Pickley!

Start your review of Too Pickley!
Crystal
Jan 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books, 2011
I thought it was good until the ending. What, exactly, did he enjoy eating? We are not shown that.
Lara
I wanted to like it, but it felt (quite honestly) like a page was missing. I actually checked to see if something had been torn or had fallen out - kids books in the library do have that happen from time to time. I mean, he goes straight from Pee-Yooey to Yummy All Done. Nothing about giving something a taste, you might like it if you try it, etc. Seriously, what did he actually eat??

The biggest plus in the story was the illustrations. The hamster is adorable, especially with his lit
James
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes you're just not in the mood to eat anything. Turns out, you wanna eat everything. I get it.
Hilary
Nov 22, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: baby-toddler
I know I'm in the minority here, but this just didn't work for either of us. As the adult, I found the boy's expressions entertaining, and the hamster very cute, but was confused by the end, even going back to make sure I hadn't skipped a page which explained what the boy had eaten. The child wasn't impressed either. I'm only giving it 2 stars because of the hamster!
Jonah
Sep 23, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1000-book-race
Not a fan. It promotes picky eating and the resolve should have been you don't know how it tastes if you don't try it.
Pam
Apr 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Summarizes picky eaters beautifully through simple text and realistic illustrations.
Ame
You don't find out what the kid is willing to eat!
Brittany
Nov 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Super short, and super easy read with funny illustrations. *Important note: Nothing can be too pickley, ever.
Laura Turowski
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My 3 year old has this book memorized. He really embraces it as a picky eater.
Sadia Mansoor
Nov 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
A picky eater complaining about food being TOO EVERYTHING.
Find out here.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd8ke...
Mary Thomas
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pic-favorites
I loved hearing Carter "read" this book when he was little!
Alison
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, food
April
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
1. Rating: 5
2. A book review by Children's Literature says, "The winning team that addressed the frustrations of the fashion-fussy in Too Purpley! returns here to catalog the complaints of the picky eater. After first bellowing, "I'm hungry!" the little boy narrator rejects a variety of food offerings as "too wrinkly" (raisins), "too squishy" (a plump tomato), "too slimy" (snails), and "too slurpy" (soup). Other foods are rejected for their fruitiness, fishiness, stringiness, crunchiness,
Heidi-Marie
Cute but I prefer "Too Purpley." I think because I can enjoy a picky dresser better than I can a picky eater. Plus, our copy smells like a skunk got to it, so I could not really get close to it to enjoy looking at the pictures. I'm sure it's great and I will recommend it for the fun of it--just perhaps not the copy I read! Will work in a storytime--perhaps the food one I have coming up. Could be a lot of fun pretending to eat all of those foods and making our "too" faces. I just can't do so with ...more
Vy
Jun 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
I received this book in a First Reads Giveaway and it arrived just as my 4-year-old was making a fuss and insisting on *no sauce* for her spaghetti. Having a new book snapped her out of it! She read it and laughed at the picky little boy who searched and searched for something eat, turning down things that were too fizzy or gooey or pickley. The pictures are charming. The text is simple--just right for a beginner reader but also fun to read out loud to your child. I wish I could say that the boo ...more
Kayla
Too Pickley is a cute children’s bored book. The little boy in the story is a very picky eater. Everything that gets set down in front of him, he finds fault with. I am sure some children and parents can definitely identify with this. Some of the words are silly and made up, which is guaranteed to get a chuckle out of a child. I like that the book rhymes. Books that rhyme usually hold children’s attention longer. The hamster that is with the boy in every illustration makes me laugh. In the end, ...more
Ariel Cummins
Mar 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This little boy doesn't want anything that's too too -- too burpy, too sticky, too freezy! Eventually, though, he manages to find something that's too yummy to resist!

These computer-generated illustrations look a little too slick for my personal tastes, but they're quite well done. The boy and his (hamster? bear?) friend have excellent expressions on their faces, and their food is identifiable and silly.

This book is really short and the rhyming text would make it a great
Nydia Munoz
Jan 30, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eating
This book is great because it teaches children that there is nothing wrong with having an opinion about certain foods. It also teaches children that if you do not like something you can go on to the next food. It teaches children how to voice that opinion like saying that it was too spicy or too cheesy.

Learning Extension: Let children pretend or bring in food and let them express themselves on how the feel about the new foods.
Tricia
Aug 29, 2010 rated it liked it
Got excited at this title because of my awesome pickle storytime...thought it would be additional fodder if I ever work again. Alas, only one line was pickle-related but this didn't detract from the fun to be had as a picky eater deems all food "too this" or "too that". Illustrations are vital to the enjoyment of the story.
Jayna
Aug 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All ages

All of the food a little boy is given is not up to his standards, it is too greeny, too wrinkly, too squishy, or other offensive state. Eventually the boy is able to find something that is just yummy.

This would be a good book to point out what words mean as you read them. You can also talk to the children about why like and don't like certain foods.
Angie crosby
At first this book was cute, but the ending was terrible. The child is supposed to be eating and says everything is too mushy, etc. By the end he has eaten all the food on his plate. How is that possible? His parents gave him one bite of everything? Makes no sense to me.

Troy liked the pictures.

Amy
Jun 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Very cute illustrations and lots of color help tell all about the picky eaters in this story. My children and I all loved this story and we've already read it many times! It's a favorite and will continue to be for a long time. Too fun!
Danielle
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little boy complains about everything he eats, "too cold, too hot, too sticky.."

This book is cute to share around lunchtime, and discuss what foods we like. We can use it as a "get to know me" activity at the beginning of the year.
Meredith
Cutely illustrated, however, I don’t know if it is a particularly good idea to give a child a vocabulary arsenal with which to be a picky eater. Although the final page ends “So yummy! All done,” the picture of the empty plate gives no clue to as what the child actually was willing to eat.
Kayla
I thought this was an okay book. It shows the struggles of feeding a child. Children can be picky eaters. I'm not sure if I would read this to children, but they may enjoy reading it to themselves.
Amanda Coppedge
Apr 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I use this book as an example of a great picture book when I do writing workshops at my library. :) I also gave a copy to my friend's kids as a gift and her three year old reads it over and over and absolutely loves it. Excellent!
Megan
4 1/2 stars
A picky eater rejects foods for various reasons: (too sticky, too squishy, etc.). Simple and cute. My only complaint is that the last page shows the child finally eating, but it doesn't show what food was finally acceptable!
Boni
Jul 29, 2010 rated it liked it
Fun read-aloud for toddlers, but it ends rather abruptly, with no apparent segue from the child refusing to eat everything page after page to the last page where he licks his plate clean. Great for a unit on adjectives/rhyming though.
Bridget
Aug 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely charming. A very easy read that makes my kids laugh out loud everytime we read it. They like noticing the details in the pictures. Great find!

Will's present for doing well at his first day of 1st grade today!

This is on the hardcover shelf.
Julie Hedlund
Apr 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
My 5 year-old son has a very discerning palate (that's writer-speak for picky eater). He loves this book because he can relate to it so much. Unlike other reviewers that didn't like the ending, I love it because it implies that he ends up trying a lot of different foods. The rhyme is adorable too.

• The Pigeon Has to Go to School
  • Star Wars: Are You Scared, Darth Vader?
  • We Don't Eat Our Classmates
  • Spooky Pookie
  • The Thank You Book (Elephant & Piggie, #25)
  • Who Eats Orange?
  • Food Truck Fest!
  • Mac & Cheese: A Friendship Story That Celebrates Being Different
  • Hulk (Marvel Age): Big Green Men (Hulk Set)
  • Dumpling Dreams: How Joyce Chen Brought the Dumpling from Beijing to Cambridge
  • One Day, The End.: Short, Very Short, Shorter-Than-Ever Stories
  • Tree of Dreams
  • Flavor, Vol. 1
  • Iggy Peck, Architect
  • Never Trumpet with a Crumpet
  • Old Macdonald's Things That Go
  • What the Ladybird Heard on Holiday
  • Outdoor Surprises (Frog and Friends, #5)