Start by marking “Daisy-Head Mayzie” as Want to Read:
Daisy-Head Mayzie

Daisy-Head Mayzie

(The Cat in the Hat)

When a daisy suddenly sprouts from the top of Mayzie McGrew's head, she is faced with her classmates' taunts, her parents' dismay, and a publicity agent's greed. How poor Mayzie learns that love is more important than fame and fortune makes an endearing morality tale for our time--and for all ages. Narrated by the Cat in the Hat, Daisy-Head Mayzie is vintage Seuss!
Published January 11th 1995 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Daisy-Head Mayzie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daisy-Head Mayzie

Patrick
Oct 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
Years before I had kids, I taught a class on children's literature. In preparation for that class, I went out and bought copies of every Dr. Seuss book ever written.

Since then a decade has passed. I've had kids and read many Seuss books to both of them, many many times.

So imagine my surprise when I was looking through our bookshelves today and there, among all the Seuss, I saw this: A Seuss book I don't remember *ever* reading.

So I pulled it down and started reading it to my youngest boy, Cutie.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Daisy-Head Mayzie, Dr. Seuss
The book is about a 12-year-old warmhearted schoolgirl named Mayzie who one day suddenly sprouts a bright white daisy from her head. It causes alarm in her classroom, family, and town, until an agent makes her a celebrity. The Cat in the Hat who serves as the narrator to this story helps Mayzie to understand her problem and persuade her to go back home. The book has a mini-song titled "Daisy-Head Mayzie" which her classmates chant.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: روز دوازدهم ماه ژ
Jack Kirby and the X-man
Sheila
Dec 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-aloud, childrens
This book was published many years after my own personal childhood, so this was another Dr. Suess book I had never read before reading it aloud to my daughter. The story was a bit weird, though the "sacrifice" of the daisy towards the end was a bit sweet I thought. Because love is what it is all about.
Shelly
Jun 30, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
Of course I read this as a teenager, and I'm sure I loved it then, but I just re-read as an adult and it didn't dazzle me or excite me like I expect Dr. Seuss books to do. It was cute, but not cute enough for me. This sounds like a silly complaint, but it had tons of words, lol! Usually Dr. Seuss books are a little long, but each page is kind of short and sweet, kind of a little poem to itself almost. This didn't feel that way to me. The illustrations were good, but I think what I love about Dr. ...more
Suzanne Moore
I read this to first graders in honor of Dr. Seuss's birthday. They thought it was definitely strange to have a daisy growing out of the top of your head! Funny, I remember making daisy chain crowns as a girl to put in my hair.

After the teacher, principal, Daisy's parents and practically the whole town try to figure out what to do about it, Daisy becomes sort of famous for having this exceptional feature. It is soon obvious that money can't replace friends, and life at the top is lonely. When Ma
Giselle Avina
Nov 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I grew up with this book and it is one of my favorite Dr. Seuss books ever! I love how each of his stories seem to have a profound social issue within them, in this case it was about a girl who forgot about her family and friends through the excitement of fame and fortune because of her strange "daisy head" condition. She eventually realizes that nothing is more valuable than her loved ones at home, and as a result the daisy disappears- only to reappear on occasion. The book's rhymes are enterta ...more
Jennifer Mackintosh
Sep 26, 2012 rated it did not like it
This is the book my son brought home from the library this week and at first I was excited. Dr. Seuss is always good.

Except this time it wasn't. The poetry was badly scanned and the story really wandered.

Enlightenment hit. This book was actually written by someone else after Dr. Seuss died. It's based on a partial manuscript they found in his belongings.

People think it's easy to write a kid's book but it's not. Seuss has been compared to Shakespeare and with good reason. The rhythm and flow of l
Shawn Deal
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
A wonderful charming classic, of a girl who has a daisy grow from her head. This is a surprisingly rich story as we see both the positives and negatives of fame. Handled in a way that only Dr. Suess could, this is a wonderful story everyone should read.
Steph
Apr 25, 2015 rated it did not like it
What?!!?!??
Barbara
This updated version of the classic Seuss story featured Mayzie McGrew and the flower that blossoms in the most unlikely of all places--the top of her head. Not surprisingly, this occurrence causes quite a reaction among her classmates, her teacher, and the principal. When efforts to get rid of the daisy have a negative effect on the girl, her parents are summoned. Suddenly, everyone is trying to remove that daisy. What can poor Daisy do? Young readers will thoroughly enjoy all the silliness whi ...more
Nicola
Apr 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Miss 4 is enjoying it. It's quite a long read (and in all rhyme) so after a few read throughs I find myself trying to abbreviate some pages. I also needed to explain to Miss 4 the concept of 'I love you, I love not' with a daisy and it rather went over her head.

Miss 4 and I like to explore different books and authors at the library, sometimes around particular topics or themes. We try to get different ones out every week or so; it's fun for both of us to have the variety and to look at a mix of
Armen
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Arwen
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
A very strange and wonderful tale about a little girls who sprouts a daisy out of her head one morning at school. Not liking any of the option to get rid of the daisy the girls instead allows it to make her famous. In the end though fame leaves her feeling lonely and unloved. "Well, you know, about daisies. When love is in doubt, The job of a daisy is, Try and Find Out!" So the daisy begins dropping it's leaves "They love her... They love her NOT! They love her..."
Savannah Levos
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Daisy-Head Mayzie on the Oceanhouse Media app is very fun to listen and read along too. I liked how it had background music and I felt that it made it more enjoyable for the audience. I like the transitions of the pictures and how the illustrations would move to make them seem more realistic to the reader. It gives the book more life to it and it is interactive for the kids especially with the music. I like how they kept the illustrations the same as the actual hardcover book.
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: easy-fiction
This book is the 2016 version based on his original sketches. The earlier version used the animated characters from the film. There is interesting back matter that explains the versions and how they both came to be published.
The story is one of the few with a female central character. Daisy-Head Mayzie celebrates the qualities that make each of us unique and special.
Tim
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-dr-seuss
Originally a screenplay, this was republished as yet another charming book by Dr Seuss after his death. Unlike most of his books and similar to his other screen plays, it is about a human being, they're not an ordinary one...
Lynn  Davidson
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the story of a little girl who sprouted a daisy on her head. It caused a lot of worldwide attention. In Dr. Seuss rhyme and illustrations. Fun story that was found by his wife after Dr. Seuss died.
Maki
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
A story about a little girl who has a flower growing out of her head and how they try to solve the problem.
Abdul Hadi
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fg
This is such a good book
John
Jan 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I like this book because she's like a flower, but she's not a flower, she's a person.
Dr Sophie
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved Dr Seuss and own most of his great ones. Recommended.
When Daisy Head Mayzie grows a daisy out of her head, it causes quite a ruckus until Mayzie can figure out how to get rid of it.
Tehila
This is as much for adults as kids. It was actually written in response to someone who complained that all of his books were about boys.
A
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Did my daughter enjoy this book? Yes. The problem is that this book reads like a poor Dr. Suess imitation, which is exactly what it is. Stick to the real thing.
Kerri
Dec 01, 2018 rated it liked it
What a silly book! The illustrations are much different than Dr. Suess's normal, but they were sweet.
Michael Beyer
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The master at work. You need to read this book to a child you love.
Shoshana Frank
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting and mixed messages for today’s children.
Raven Cleveland
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ben Tuthill
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
A super quick read but a very cute story. The Epilogue after the book was interesting as well.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Hooper Humperdink...? Not Him!
  • The Adventures of Harold and the Purple Crayon: Four Magical Stories
  • The Nose Book
  • The Very Noisy Night
  • Your Personal Penguin
  • Do You Want to Be My Friend?
  • Raggedy Ann Stories
  • The Umbrella
  • Stop, Train, Stop! a Thomas the Tank Engine Story (Thomas & Friends)
  • CDC?
  • Make Way For Dumb Bunnies (The Dumb Bunnies, #3)
  • Christmas Alphabet
  • So Many Bunnies: A Bedtime ABC and Counting Book
  • Five Little Monkeys Play Hide and Seek
  • McDuff and the Baby
  • The Wreck of the Zephyr

The Cat in the Hat (5 books)
  • The Cat in the Hat
  • The Cat in the Hat Comes Back
  • The Cat's Quizzer
  • I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!