Start by marking “What the Lady Wants” as Want to Read:
What the Lady Wants

What the Lady Wants (Jennifer Crusie Bundle)

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  6,288 Ratings  ·  282 Reviews

Mitch Peabody was learning pretty fast that the life of a private detective was nothing like the movies. He'd envisioned a world of tough-talking detectives and smart-mouthed, stunning dames. Instead he saw case after case of cheating husbands, suspicious wives and unsuspecting mistresses... until she walked through the door.
Right down to her stilettos, Mae Sullivan was a
Published March 1st 2010 by Harlequin Books (first published June 15th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about What the Lady Wants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What the Lady Wants

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Many readers are familiar with Crusie’s wonderful later work, but they may have missed this perfect little gem from her days writing series romance. One of the best ever!
Tiffany PSquared
It wasn't bad, but the story just never grabbed me. I was honestly bored through most of it. I've read other, better stories by Crusie, this one just wasn't for me.
Not my favorite Crusie, normally I love her crazy characters from the get go but I don't why there was just something missing for me it was still fun but not as much fun.
The hero is a PI thoroughly bored with the job, he thought it would be glamorous instead he chases cheating spouses and such and then in walks the heroine, who looks rich and classy and is a total liar, but the money she gives him helps him win the bet he made, he's actually a stock-broker.

The heroine tells him her uncle was mur
Heather Hamilton
I am heartbroken. I can't believe I had to give Jennifer Crusie one star. But What The Lady Wants was just awful.

The two main characters were flat. The relationship between the two main characters was forced. The dialogue was repetitive. The sexual chemistry was described, but not really there. As a romance novel, zero stars were earned. There were one or two funny dialogue bits, but these were the only hints of Crusie's true talent.

The underlying mystery was it's only redeeming quality. It was
Jacob Proffitt
Like other "middle" Crusie's (mid 90s), this one is seriously flawed, even though I enjoyed reading it. Mitch is simply dreadful at the start with little redeeming value—certainly nothing that should attract Mae. I rather liked Mae, on the other hand, but she's as close to a stereotype as Crusie gets (which, admittedly, isn't terribly close). So yeah, I was entertained. But mostly because Mitch changed drastically around the middle and Mae didn't...

A note about Steamy: Lightly steamy with one an
This book gives a nod to the hard boiled detective genre with the main character being a disillusioned private eye whose head snaps and pants tent when "SHE" walks in the door. The mystery of who killed her Uncle is secondary to the romance between Mitch and Mae. Formulaic yet fun.
Olga Godim
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jennifer-crusie
One of the earlier stories by one of my favorite writers, this short novel, a blend of mystery and romance, is sweet and funny, although its romantic twist is rather abrupt.
Mitch is a shabby, less than intelligent PI in a seedy office in a dilapidated building. Or so it seems at first glance, when Mae first approaches him with her made-up case of her uncle’s murder. All she wants him to do is to stir up some noise.
Mae comes out of Mitch’s dreams of being a Sam Spade, with his own femme fatale.
Aug 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a re-read for me. I love anything Jennifer Crusie writes and will go through phases where I re-read all of my favorites. I like this book because of Mitch. I love the way he looks out for Mae even if he doesn’t think that’s what he is doing. I also love the secondary characters - the slutty housekeeper, the mistress, the mobster, etc. They make the story funny and keep the plot flowing perfectly. This book is perfect for a spring day when you want something light, funny, and quick to re ...more
The family stuff made me crazy. Reread.
Wicked Incognito Now
Crusie just has the ability to write the most dynamic character interactions. These two, Mae and Mitch, were absorbing from the get go.

The story starts with Mitch in a seedy detective agency, no AC, sweltering, in a cheap suit, fantasizing about how his life as a PI was supposed to be. It would be like The Maltese Falcon and the sexy femme fatale would walk in and turn his world upside down....

Then, of course, in walks Mae. She is determined to con this PI into helping her solve a murder that di
It really surprises me that this book doesn't have higher ratings. This story was such a fun and wild ride I couldn't put it down! I loved every character even down to Bob the dog:)
I enjoyed every minute of it. I'd definitely recommend this book to anyone who's looking for a fun easy read-- just try not to take it seriously. I'd also like to recommend you imagine the story in black and white with tints of red on Mae's lips cuz that's what was in my head for some reason and it played out like an
Actually 2.5 stars. Rounded up for Goodreads, because it's Jennifer Crusie, after all.

I love the absurd situations and witty dialog in Crusie's books, and What the Lady Wants was full of both. What it lacked, however, was that undercurrent of hard-hitting realism found in most of Crusie's best works. This book was pure fluff; there was no depth. I wasn't particularly interested in the plot, and I didn't feel connected to the characters. I wasn't even happy about the HEA; I don't expect it to las
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read it and I don't remember this book and I gave this 4 stars.. damn that's why I should write a review as soon as I finish a book.

Well I remembered the book in the first 10 pages but not quite so decided to read it as I was smiling and enjoying. Now I know why I loved this book. It's cute, fun, and had good moments which were funny.

Mitch says something which made my smile go broader. " it feels like Tinker Bell just married Donald Trump". I felt pity for that particular character. I love h
Jennifer Tatroe
Aug 21, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, 2009
I don't normally give a book two stars unless it has obvious editing errors or just plain bad writing, but What the Lady Wants really feels like a rehearsal for Crusie's later private investigator novel, Fast Women which, unfortunately, I read immediately before this one. This is another early Crusie novel and, though you can still find hints of her magic, it's not all there yet. The sex scenes, especially, are worth skimming over, and the dialogue isn't as snappy as I'm used to with Crusie. If ...more
This is... a really weird one. Crusie's writing is still sharp, and her dialogue is awesome. But I think I like my Crusie more rooted in reality. Super rich people who get murdered? Money that disappears? Characters in the mafia? It just felt a little crazy. The romance is also extremely fast. Yeah. Just a weird one.
Joanne Simpson
Dec 31, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite quote:
"Look, there's no point in getting upset about this. You can't understand because you're a woman, and women don't think like that."
"Women don't want to open the west?"
"No. Women want to stay home and keep the East looking nice."
Mae took a deep breath..."You're deliberately trying to make me kill you, aren't you?"
Having read nearly all of Crusie’s other books before getting to this, I found it kind of a neat embryonic form of her later work. Here she’s trying out tropes and techniques that she brings to perfection in books like Tell Me Lies. Overall a quick and satisfying read, so long as you let yourself go with the seriously high-current flow. Also, it’s a fun glimpse back to the early 90s!
Feb 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far this is one of my favorite early Crusie's. The set up is fun and the side characters are hilarious. I loved the heroine even if she wasn't as defined of a character as I would like. The only major negative is the hero. Most of the time he's awesome but then there had to be some sexist garbage included that made me instantly cold. I guess the book is showing it's age.
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I say it's more of a 3.75 rating than 4.

Loved the witty banter between the main characters, as always.

Good thing I really didn't care much for the story itself, especially the climax, because it was confusing as
Aug 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE Jennifer Crusie. I think she writes the best dialog ever.

This is a great book for that. OK, the plot's pretty silly... but the dialog is wonderful, and it's got a happy ending- even for the dog.
Erin L
Nov 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This is apparently the second time I've read this book. I couldn't remember reading it the first time though so I'm not sure what that says about the book.

I enjoyed it. It's a nice, light read that was perfect for vacation.
Sep 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as the other crusie book I've read, but still entertaining. There were times when I kept thinking, "just call each other on your cell phones!!" But then realized the book was written in 1995. Lol
Apr 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Guilty pleasure!
Don't judge me-
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Two-haiku review:

She hires detective
To find dead uncle's journal
Invents a murder

Zany love story
Crazy, unique characters
Many surprises
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok well then. That was entertaining. I'm not sure what to think of a hero who is described as having a face like a catcher's mitt with a jaw though. The guy on the cover did not resemble that remark though.

So the h, trying to figure out what was up with her not-so-dearly departed uncle, hires the H...because he doesn't look too terribly intelligent. He's smart enough to play that angle up though and thus begins a madcap adventure with... a wannabe mob boss, his punk grandson who has a crush on h
Sep 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ahhhh all is right with the world again! After the last shit show of a book I read by J Cruise my faith that she couldn't write anything that wasn't good was shaken. This book has now restored my belief in her and made me think the last book was an anomaly. This book was charming and realistic in the relationships between characters with an exciting plot. The different types of affection from the men in Mia's life were interesting in comparison. The fact that Mitchell wasn't immediately obsessed ...more
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have I mentioned lately that J. Crusie is now one of my favorite authors? Hahaha... I just can't stop reading her books. I've been trying to find the rest of her books eversince I started reading her. They're just always fun, witty and really sweet. And this book is no exception. The secondary characters were all funny - Mitch's friend and attorney, Mae's uncles, June and Harold.. even Bob! And of course Mitch and Mae themselves were funny and lovable. I can't help myself but love them.

And reall
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love it! Classic Crusie, this is one of her earlier works and I just feel like she gets better and better.

Mitch Peatwick, PI, meets Mae, classic dame! A tale a (possible?) murder, a missing diary, and fabulous dialogue and chemistry-some scenes had me wishing for a delicate lace fan!

Quick and great read!
susan Graves
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thin Man Updated

Loved this book. As I read, Myrna Loy began to materialize as Mae Belle, and I could see this book as another Thin Man movie. The dialogue was quick, snappy and funny.
The story had a dog as well!
Well worth revisiting a 1995 novel!
Mar 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute enough. Reminded me a lot of Carl Hiaasen.
Who read this? What did you think? 3 8 May 04, 2016 09:17AM
  • Baby, Don't Go
  • License to Thrill
  • Blame It On Cupid
  • Crazy in Love
  • True Confessions (Gospel, Idaho #1)
  • For the Love of Pete
  • Heiress for Hire (Cuttersville, #2)
  • Nerd Gone Wild (Nerds, #3)
  • Lie to Me
  • Take a Chance on Me
  • Hot Wheels and High Heels (Playboys, #1)
  • Simply Sensual (Simply, #3)
  • The Love Conspiracy
  • The Kissing Game (Sunrise Key Trilogy, #2)
Jenny Crusie is the NYT bestselling author of twenty some novels and lots of other stuff. Her latest novel, Maybe This Time, hit shelves in August, 2010.

Jenny lives on the Ohio River where she often stares at the ceiling and counts her blessings.
More about Jennifer Crusie...

Jennifer Crusie Bundle (5 books)
  • Jennifer Crusie Bundle
  • Charlie All Night
  • Getting Rid of Bradley
  • Strange Bedpersons

Romance Deals

• Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick #2)
    $4.99 $2
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Spiraled (Callahan & McLane #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Bailey (Ace Security #3)
  • The Girl in Times Square: A Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Daring Arrangement (The Four Hundred, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Return to Homecoming Ranch (Pine River Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dance with Me (Rice, Luanne)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up Book 1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • The Third Wish: A Novella
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Walking on Her Grave (Rogue River, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Repressed (Deadly Secrets, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Beautiful Broken Promises (Broken #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Chosen (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #15)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • From Sand and Ash
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Dreamology
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Out of Control (Troubleshooters, #4)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
  • The Devil's Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Chilled (Bone Secrets, #2)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Bearly in Control (Shifters Undercover, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Of course it hurt you neanderthal! See that? Thats blood. If theres blood, theres pain. Its like smoke and fire.” 8 likes
“The first rule in life is 'everybody lies.' Remember that and you'll get a lot further.” 5 likes