Start by marking “Fantasy in Death (In Death, #30)” as Want to Read:
Fantasy in Death (In Death, #30)

Fantasy in Death (In Death #30)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  16,513 Ratings  ·  891 Reviews
Bart Minnock, founder of the computer-gaming giant U-Play, enters his private playroom, and eagerly can't wait to lose himself in an imaginary world, to play the role of a sword-wielding warrior king, in his company's latest top-secret project, Fantastical.

The next morning, he is found in the same locked room, in a pool of blood, his head separated from his body. It is the
Published February 23rd 2010 by Putnam Adult (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Fantasy in Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fantasy in Death

Mo
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Took me a while to finish this one but I did, eventually. On the road so have little time for reviewing or reading. I have been scouring the second hand book shops of the Pacific North West to try and find a hardcover of NAKED IN DEATH. No luck. I did find a copy of NEW YORK TO DALLAS, which I think might be a pivotal book in the series ... from the title anyway.

What can a I say ... broken record!!! Loved it - love Eve and Roarke. And all the other characters. No complaints here.

I haven't the e
Jilly
Sep 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
"Good thing I pride myself on my bitchery."

We should all take pride in our bitchery, girls. Because, apparently in our society, if you are strong and powerful, you must be a bitch. So, bitch it is! I say instead of fighting against this, we should all show the asswipes who think this just how bitchy a bitch can be. Let's burn this mother down, bitches!!

So, the story in this book isn't anything we haven't heard of before - cutting edge video game kills people in real life, but it's still an ent
Mei
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Oh, I just knew that somewhere along the way the Matrix theme will come along! LOL
Here we have an evel programme where you can actually get killed!!! WOW!!!

Now I know why I don't do games anymore...

But Eve and Roarke... they kick ass even to holos!!!
Felicia
Mar 15, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
♥Sharon♥
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Yet another solid addition in the In Death series by J.D. Robb. When I started this series about 10 months ago I thought I would read a few and muddle my way through it over time. But as you can see I have more than muddled my way through it. Thirty books under my belt and now I am thinking how sad it is going to be when I reach the last book that is published. With that, I wonder how far J.D. will take Eve and Roarke and all the others.

In Fantasy in Death I had to suspend my belief a bit as
Ira
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't believe I didn't rate this book yet.
Because this is one of those book when Eve realised she doesn't want to live if Roarke get killed...

So what my excuses?
Well, I read this during our Xmas holiday in NZ where we stay with MIL more than two weeks.
It was summer there, we've got invited for barbecue often and stealing time to read these two was rather hard let alone to connect with goodreads:)
Flannery
Can someone really say that a plot felt formulaic when it is the THIRTIETH book in a series? I don’t really think so. *facepalm* Okay, well we’re back with badass Lieutenant Eve Dallas and her Irish billionaire stud of a husband, Roarke. This time, Dallas and Peabody are doing their thang in the homicide-detecting world and the victim in one of the founders of a video game design company. Normally, Nora Roberts/JD Robb is rather informative about the occupations of her characters and we get tons ...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

This will be a very short review… FANTASY IN DEATH is one of the best books in the In Death series. Can I stop there? No, well then I guess you’ll have to stay tuned to the gushing that will commence soon because I bloody loved this book!

As you know, I’m a big In Death fan but this particular book has to be one of my favorites in the series. If you’re a gamer, then you may find this true for yourself, but the real reason I liked this book so much as because of the case.

Bart Minnock, the founde
Diane
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not being a real "gamer" myself, I still thoroughly enjoyed this book. The bantering between Dallas and Peabody was just hilarious at the first of the book - all about ginnies and penis's - laughed out loud (again) during this scene!

Love the scene where Eve slaps Peabody up the side of her head about her comment about Roarke - way too funny!

Roarke and Eve having a little "spat" made for a tense moment or two - finally Roarke came to his senses :)

Like this book more each time I read it - a killer
Eve
Sep 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantasy in Death by J.D. Robb
Series: In Death, #30
Suspense > futuristic > romance > mystery

“What’s the point of playing if winning isn’t the goal?”

One of the owners of a virtual gaming company, Bart Minnock is killed in the locked room. Eve Dallas and her team have to figure out how a virtual game player came to be decapitated in a sealed Holo-room. The team is about to enter the next level of police work.

Ann Lou
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Soooooo, after 30 books I have to admit some books are better than the others. Others became a favorite and would definitely worth a reread but this one? Just so so. And why you ask me? This is about video games and I have zero knowledge with those. My eyes just kinda glazed and I zoned out reading or talking about it in real life. So, the problem? it's me and and my ignorance with video games.

But I still enjoyed the characters of course. If it's even more possible to love them more and more wit
Sarah Stegall
Jun 13, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"Fantasy in Death" returns to the exploitation of scientific ignorance we saw in "Purity in Death". This time, it's a game developer found dead in a locked room, who was playing a computer game at the time. Once again, a metaphor is misunderstood: Robb treats "virtual reality" as if the emphasis were on the second half of that phrase, not the first. "Virtual reality" is not reality, light does not follow the physics she lays down, and her solution to this locked-room mystery is about as implausi ...more
Mrs. Badass
Jul 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

What a wicked frosty book :P

It was more police procedural than epiphany of Eve and Roarkes relationship, we don't see as much Feeney, and no Charles and Louise (still on honeymoon) A short scene with Mavis and Nadine, but it's still an interesting read.

Some of Peabody's lines really cracked me up. I enjoy Peabody and Eve's dynamic.

I was glad to see the usual banter was back, I felt it was missing in Kindred, but that could have been because of the case itself, a sixteen year olds Rap
Lynsey A
Another wonderful In Death book by J.D. Robb. This story was an interesting concept and definitely kept me entertained. I spent the whole day reading this story. The "who dun it" was kind of easy to figure out but it didn't take away from enjoying the novel. I liked the epilogue too.

The imagery Robb brings to these stories was evident in this new story. I could imagine Eve and Peabody sparring verbally (all in fun) with each other and saw it all in my mind. It never fails that the back and fort
Vanessa
Feb 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Nora Roberts Fan and those who like a strong female cop or detective character.
Shelves: own, series, mp3, j-d-robb, keep
Okay, I really loved this latest installment. A lot of the secondary figures were included. It had a lot of great humor, and Eve seems to be mellowing some as she reflects on friendships and other personal matters. There was actually less sex in this one, and more romance. Eve and Roarke share a lot more intimacy, and it wasn't overdone.

The mystery was interesting and kind of techie, but since my daughter is a fiend for video games, I found that part interesting. It also gave Feeney and McNab a
William Bentrim
Feb 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantasy in Death by J. D. Robb

The not too distant future is the setting for Lt. Eve Dallas and her adventures. The entire series I have read so far is focused on homicide and the mystery that surrounds each murder. This book focuses on rpg. (role playing games) A group of loveable geeks is on the verge of paramount geekieness when they are beset with foul play.

Bart Minnock’s murder strikes a chord with Dallas, I suspect due to his naïve disposition and his vague similarity to Roarke. Roarke, on
GeekInPink
Virtual Reality - Holographic Games - Real Play 5 stars

Eve Dallas never fails to amaze me. Her quest to find justice for her victim at all cost has always made me love her. In this book, she goes all out to find the killer who'd kill without a thought and leave devastation behind his havoc.

The story unfolds from the point when the leader of the U-Play goes home to play the latest game in development and comes out the other side dead. He's death does not make sense because there's no clue as to
Darcy
Another great story with Eve, Roarke, and company!! This time around the crime is an unusual one. A gamer guy is killed in his locked holo room with no breeches. Looks like we might finally have a murder that stumps Eve. With the nature of the crime Eve brings Roarke in right away to help and as always things don't go smoothly between them. The nature of this crime has Eve looking deeper at her life and the relationships she has built in her life in the past couple of years. Eve seems a little s ...more
Kara-karina
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so much fun! You know, immersion role play game which turns deadly if you lose? That type of fun! Especially when Roarke and Eve start playing it and realise midway through just how serious the stakes are... FUN!

* * *

Такое мне эта книга доставила удовольствие! Особенно, когда ролевая игра оказалась смертельной для тех, кто проигрывает, что Роарк и Ив осознали только в процессе и чуть ли не умерли... Крутой сюжет, очень понравилось!
Sue
Solid 4.25, narration 4.5.

This was a story about Eve and her understanding friendships and how it can disguise envy and hatred. While solving a crime that involves 4 friends, Eve delves into her own understanding of own friendships. Dramatic ending.

It made something that seems impossible, possible. Or so it seems.
Katie
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-death
Gaming with a lethal twist! Took Eve FOREVER to make the connection. Dropped water glass said it all. I should have been a cop. I'm so paranoid. Snort.
Aya
Feb 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, mystery
In Death: 30
Set shortly after the previous book, as it is still June. The problem with setting a story in the future is that the author can't fully cover what is and is not possible. I had an idea of how the murder could have happened and spent most of the book puzzled that Eve pursued all kinds of hunches before reaching the same conclusion at the end - apparently it shouldn't have been possible after all, and the method wasn't well explained in any case (how was it done without specialized equ
Wayland Smith
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would think I'd get sick of this series, thirty books in. But I'm not. I continue to enjoy the adventures of Eve Dallas and her band of crime-fighters. Each book is like a chance to look in on old friends. There's a vague similarity to the books, you could argue, but then I've read all of Louis L'Amour and Agatha Christie, and they are masters, but you know what you're getting before you even open the cover.

One of the things that keep me coming back to these are the criminals and their plots.
Jo
May 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
30th in the series. As anyone who follows me knows, I love this series. I don’t really connect with the books the author writes as Nora Roberts, but I love the characters and the character development in this series by J.D. Robb. While the last book in the series focused more on the crime, than on character development, this installment shows a lot of Eve’s growth as a wife and as a friend. Some of Eve and Roarke’s discussions about their relationship positively melted my heart (to the point whe ...more
MountainKat
I always enjoy this series and this was a good one! There was some humor in this one too. It was easy for me to figure out the how, but not the who in this murder. I kept going back and forth between the suspects. All in all, another solid addition to one of my favorite series!

The audio with Susan Ericksen as narrator was great!
Venus Blancia
I'm going back to five star rating! Fantasy in Death is one difficult case for Eve since the nature of the crime is of her line. I like the end then especially the epilogue part where justice is served and Eve and Roarke's realization of Friendship to Love, and thus far established themselves the Love to Friendship.

So much with the solving of the crime, I noticed that this series is somehow very police operation-plot and I barely encountered personal subplot. What is very entertaining and note-w
Lyndi
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew who the murderer was and how they did it right away. I tried to keep reading, but I couldn't get into it because the investigation seemed pointless when I already knew the ending. So I skipped ahead to like, 75% or something, and managed to catch things at just the right time to pick things up with a second victim, a motherfucking sword fight, and solving the case. Totally awesome ending with physical and emotional ass-kickings.

I regret that I skipped over 50% of the book only because Rob
Vivian
Feb 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
She'd just been trying to shield him a little. Wasn't that her job, too? she thought in disgust as she rose. Part of the marriage deal? So why were they fighting when she'd done her job?
And now she had to do the damn dishes, which she'd fully intended to dump on him.
She gathered them up as she scowled at the door he'd closed between their offices, and the red light above it that indicated he'd gone private.
(p. 107)

This is the second in the series that I've read and enormously pleased that I
Kate
Mar 31, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read the "In Death" series for a bit of brainless fun, but it shouldn't be this brainless. As a sci fi geek, I found this book predictable and kind of boring. By page 20 I was pretty sure I knew what had happened, which is very unusual for me since I actively try to avoid solving the mystery so I can just enjoy the ride. I only finished the book make sure I was right before I complained too hard. I was right. When a romance author writes a mystery with a heavy sci fi theme, the result is a plo ...more
Angela James
Let's face it, these In Death books are my crack. I will probably never quit them and really, why would I want to? They're not bad for me! Whenever I finish an In Death book, I find myself sighing and wondering if it's time for the next one to release yet. I know we're lucky to get 2 a year, given how prolific the author is, but I'd be happy with one every 3 months. I can't get enough of them. Even when they're not the best books ever, they're still better than many of the books I've read. They ...more
J.D. Robb : Fantasy In Death (Spoiler Zone) 36 153 Jan 10, 2017 08:48AM
J.D. Robb : Buddy Read - Fantasy In Death (Apr. 2015) - Spoiler Zone 30 16 Apr 22, 2015 10:00AM
Goodreads Librari...: Publish Date Missing [Fantasy in Death] 2 12 Mar 25, 2013 12:28PM
  • Remember When (In Death, #17.5)
  • Don't Look Down (Samantha Jellicoe, #2)
  • The Hot Zone (Rainshadow, #3; Ghost Hunters, #11)
  • Dark of Night (Troubleshooters, #14)
  • Naked Edge (I-Team, #4)
  • Running Hot (Arcane Society, #5)
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Secrets in Death, on sale September 2017, is the 45th e ...more
More about J.D. Robb...

In Death (1 - 10 of 46 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death, #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)

“Do you think the penis ever gets tired?"

Whose?

Anybody's. I mean anybody with one. Does the penis ever just think: for God's sake pal, give it a rest? Or is it all: Woo-who!! Here we go again!”
188 likes