Start by marking “The Enormous Crocodile (Chapter Book Edition)” as Want to Read:
The Enormous Crocodile (Chapter Book Edition)

The Enormous Crocodile (Chapter Book Edition)

The Enormous Crocodile loves to make his meals out of fresh, juicy children, and the town near his river is full of them. He's got the disguises, Secret Plans, and Clever Tricks to catch them -- or so he thinks. Because even though the Enormous Crocodile may be wicked and cunning, the other animals in the jungle know just how to foil his plans!
Published June 1st 1993 by Turtleback Books (first published January 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Enormous Crocodile, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Ruru Wiky
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Enormous Crocodile (Chapter Book Edition)
Mischenko
The Enormous Crocodile has a ravenous appetite, and he’s on the prowl for his favorite meal: juicy children. He develops a series of ‘secret plans and clever tricks’ to deceive the children so he can snatch them up, but the other animals in the jungle won’t stand for his shenanigans. Will this greedy crocodile ever learn his lesson?

Roald Dahl is one of our favorite story tellers. I can’t believe this is my first time reading The Enormous Crocodile, but did we ever enjoy it! It’s a short and simp
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Enormous Crocodile, Roald Dahl

The Enormous Crocodile is a 1978 children's story, written by Roald Dahl.

The story begins in Africa in a large, deep, muddy river, where the enormous crocodile (the title character) is telling a smaller crocodile, known as the Not-So-Big One, that he wants to eat children for his lunch.

The small crocodile objects, because children taste "nasty and bitter" in his opinion compared to fish, and because of what happened the last time the big crocodile tried to ea
Bradley
My four year old loved it! Especially the bits where the croc is going to eat and munch all those sweet juicy children. :) NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM.

I think this is just one of those things natural to all children who already feel like prey with all these nasty adults hanging around. All of them want to eat you in a child's eyes. It's only natural because they see the adults getting eaten by jobs and spouses and the death of their dreams, so why not just imagine getting eaten by crocodiles, too? It's
Ken
May 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my childhood favourites that I was desperate to revisit.

It's a simple fun story of an Enormous Crocodile on the hunt for some children to eat, he believes each clever trick will prevail only to be foiled by various animals from the jungle.

One of the best aspects of this picture book is the wonderful illustrations by Quentin Blake.
Both Blake and Dahl fit so seamlessly together.

Whilst the story also features the Roly-Polly Bird and Muggle-Wump, who would later feature in The Twits adds to t
Matt
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Matt by: Mariah Roze
Shelves: audiobook, children-s
A great re-read!

Another short tale by the famous children's author, Roald Dahl, has me eager to review and spread the word. This would be an ideal story for the likes of many children, including Neo, who loves a good bit of humour. While lazing around one day in Africa, the Enormous Crocodile tells his not so large friend that he yearns for some children to eat. He is dismissed and told that there is no way he will be able to score such a delectable treat. Off goes the Enormous Crocodile, into t
HBalikov
Jun 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a short story about a very big and bad crocodile and some very lucky children. In my edition, it is lavishly illustrated by Quentin Blake in a manner that brings out the nuances of Dahl’s story.

Despite the discouragement of another (and smaller) crocodile, the Enormous Crocodile has his stomach set on a meal of children who live in a village not far from the croc’s river. The enormous one also has an inflated image of himself:
“I’m the bravest….”
“I’m the cleverest….”
“I have secret plans a
Trish
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's the beginning of the year and somehow I find this the right time for some of Roald Dahl's stories. Also, I have quite some catching up to do since I missed out on them when I was a child.

The story is the titular enormous crocodile who is a very nasty and evil croc that likes to eat children. The animal-lover in me doesn't like that very much because crocs, much like sharks, have far too bad a reputation which is why many are endangered. Nevertheless, this story is pretty old for one, and I
Mariah Roze
My year of Roald Dahl is still going!

The Enormous Crocodile loves to eat plump, juicy little child, and he wants to eat as many as he can. But when the other animals in the jungle join together to put an end to this, the Enormous Crocodile learns a lesson he won't soon forget.
Miranda Reads
This big crocodile is hungry for some children and has the perfect plan to get them - or does he? He makes several other jungle animals very angry with him and they attempt to thwart his child-eating ways.

This just goes to show, if you are planning something evil, do not monologue!

YouTube | Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Snapchat @miranda.reads

Happy Reading!
Bonnie
Oct 15, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
“It’s luscious, it’s super,
It’s muschious, it’s duper,
It’s better than rotten old fish.
You mash it and munch it,
You chew it and crunch it!
It’s lovely to hear it go squish!”

[image error]

The Enormous Crocodile is on a mission… to find some children to munch. He tells all of his jungle friends his plans and they think he’s an awful mean crocodile so they’re constantly thwarting his plans of munching. The Enormous Crocodile gets more and more frustrated as he gets more and more hungry.
(view spoile
Amina
Jun 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
That was a funny one, the enormous crocodile isn't as clever as he thought he was :D he should've kept his mouth shut instead of bragging about his plans, so he ended up barbecued :D
Madeline O'Rourke
There's nothing really wrong with The Enormous Crocodile but it doesn't have any of the signature Dahl fun that one would expect. There's really nothing that differentiates this as a Dahl book over any other picture book. Blake's illustrations are great as ever.
Stephanie ((Strazzybooks))
Fun, classic Dahl and good to teach river/jungle animals.
Kym
So funny! I laughed out loud - sorry fellow library dwellers 😊
I’d adore reading this to a Year 1 class and making them all giggle.
Jeanette (Again)
The Enormous Croc is not as smart as he thinks he is. He has all kinds of clever plans to catch a juicy child or two for his lunch. But on his way to the town, he's stupid enough to tell every creature he meets where he is going and why. So when he tries all his ruses to fool the children, Humpy-Rumpy the Hippo and Trunky the Elephant and Muggle-Wump the Monkey and the Roly-Poly Bird rush to the rescue and foil his plans before he can snatch any kids. Finally, Trunky winds him up and sends him r ...more
Alyssa
Feb 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: corinne-bedtime
I don't think I've ever read anything by Roald Dahl that I didn't like. I am thrilled that my soon to be 4 year old daughter is now old enough to hear his stories at bedtime. We started with the Enormous Crocodile because it was short, illustrated, and new to us (the parents). It was a great read-aloud book! Our daughter wanted to know what would happen next and really enjoyed the story of the wicked crocodile on the hunt to eat up small children. A solid introduction to quirky stories and great ...more
Paul
Jul 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kiddos
My middle daughter recommended I read this book, and I can see why. The jumble of entertaining adjectives makes this great fun for an imaginative 7-year-old – and a less imaginative 35-year-old. The end was a little abrupt, but overall this is classic Dahl: fun, witty and a little dangerous.
hizatul
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
oh, you horrid greedy grumptious brute! i hope you get caught and cooked and turned into crocodile soup!

oh. my. god. i love this book so much i had fun reading all the perfectly-rhymed sentences i just ahhhh i love children books!!!
Harriet Dismorr
The Enormous Crocodile is not a nice fellow as he has a nasty plan up his sleeve, and will NOT let any other animal in his way to stop him from gobbling up a nice, juicy fat child. Roald Dahl, with the help of Quentin Blake, transports the reader to the depths of the jungle, using a brilliant choice of words, illustrations and quirky characters which allows you to be entranced in this story. This book is great to be read to children or quietly to yourself, and can teach young readers the importa ...more
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Okay. So tell me what was Roald Dahl thinking when he wrote this book for children? When he wrote about two crocodiles planning to eat little children?!

Ok, we all know crocodiles eat human in real but the kids I would recommend books to do not need this.

The artstyle is refreshing and the writing is good. But reading about little children being wanted to be gobbled up is not it for me. Yes, so I say let's stay away from this book.
Syndi
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
what a lovely story. when i am reading this i can imagine children eyes wide open with excitement.

and how clever trick from enormous crocodile indeed.
Zaz
The story was the usual greedy animal, using tricks to fill its stomach. The various animals at the beginning added some fun, but after that I found the tricks too much unrealistic to be really pleasant. Blake's art was fun to follow, however there were too many white children pictured for a book set in Africa.
Alice Martin
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Enormous Crocodile is a somewhat determined villain. But he isn’t very clever. His sole aim is to consume a juicy child, but he makes the mistake of sharing his mission with all of his jungle companions. To the children’s vantage, the other characters in the story have a heart; they make it their mission to stop him.

Roald Dahl's 'The Enormous Crocodile' is scary, funny, and moral; three very important ingredients for a good children's book. My initial reaction to reading this book as an adu
Karla
Jan 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story grew repetitive after awhile as the crocodile's plans and tricks always get thwarted at the last minute, and that last scene is a real killer (literally!), but Stephen Fry's exuberant narration definitely made it worth sitting through.
Ellinor
I will never forget the picture of the crocodile dressing up as a palm tree. It had me laughing for hours!
Jennifer B.
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my most beloved books as a child. The one I made my parents read over and over again. Must have the Quentin Blake illustrations, too!
Elizabeth Newton
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had great fun reading this book to my little girl. There are so many characters to make up funny voices for.
It's the first picture novel I have ever read to her - up until now it's been much shorter picture books so I wasn't sure whether she would have the stamina to listen to the whole thing in one sitting but she did.
The text is very funny and in classic Roald Dahl style. Very entertaining.
wpschrec
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, children
Silly and funny story of a crocodile try to eat children
Alice Graham
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
An Extended Diary Entry for a Picture Book

The Enormous Crocodile by Roald Dahl is a picture book about a crocodile who really wants to eat a child. The rest of the jungle characters that he meets on the way try hard to stop him.

Characters
The main character is the enormous crocodile. There is also a Notsobig Crocodile and a few animals he meets on his journey, who are; Humpy-Rumpy the Hippopotamus, Trunky the Elephant, Muggle-Wump the Monkey, the Roly-Poly Bird. There are also a few children; T
Diane
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read most of Dahl's books for kids when I was the right age for them and loved them. I was sure I had never read this one and I was excited to find it, since I'm impatient to share the ones I've read with my son. He's only 4 though.

The illustrations are wonderful, very bright and very dynamic. The story is quite long, but it's full of wonderful repetition that toddlers and young readers love. Different characters get to say the basically the same things, so I got to practice different characte
2019 Roe Reading ...: The Enormous Crocodile 1 2 Oct 01, 2020 08:00AM
Koletu krokodill 1 1 May 29, 2019 05:03AM
1001 Children's B...: November 2015: The Enormous Crocodile 4 18 Nov 27, 2015 01:07PM

• Fantastic Mr Fox
  • The Witches: Plays for Children
  • The Highway Rat
  • The World’s Worst Parents
  • The Tiger Who Came to Tea
  • Marvin Redpost: Kidnapped at Birth? (Marvin Redpost, #1)
  • Tharoorosaurus
  • George's Marvelous Medicine
  • Pinocchio
  • The Smartest Giant in Town
  • The Snail and the Whale
  • Stick Man
  • One Ted Falls Out of Bed
  • Mr. Lazy (Mr. Men, #17)