Start by marking “I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!” as Want to Read:
I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!

I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  14,995 Ratings  ·  448 Reviews
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more you learn, the more places you’ll go”. In this delightful book, Dr. Seuss celebrates the joys of reading, encouraging young children to take pride in their budding reading abilities.

With his unique combination of hilarious stories, zany pictures and riotous rhymes, Dr. Seuss has been delighting young children
Published May 6th 2003 by HarperCollinsChildren’sBooks (first published January 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!

Carlos De Eguiluz
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
No importa cuándo, no importa cómo, lo importante es leer.
Un mensaje muy profundo en un relato muy corto.

Jomanah Aloumi
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go."
AleJandra
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 HERMOSAS Y PERFECTAS STARS

"The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go."

A mi nena de 3 años le encanta este libro

Y yo lo ame, es mi favorito de Dr. Seuss, el mensaje es simple, divertido y muy muy importante, ya que es referente a todo lo positivo de la lectura.
Heather
Haha, one of my sons claimed he COULD read with his eyes shut (because he read the same book every day for a month) so I got this book and he had to read with his eyes OPEN. Oh, it's so fun being a parent.

Anyway, this is a good book for beginning readers because, like almost all Seuss books, he focuses on the most common words we use. The pictures are fun and the story is silly so little ones like to listen to it as well.

Stacy
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another goodie by Dr. Seuss. I have not yet mastered that skill-- I would like to see it done though! : )
Joan Sebastián Araujo Arenas
Esta obra es un elogio a la lectura, por un lado,
una invitación, por el otro,
que deja al grande y al chiquito enfrascados
intentando resolver tanto alboroto.

Se puede leer sobre todo,
de esto nadie duda,
lo vital es recordar un poco
en esta vida testaruda,
que no es caprichoso el asombro
―sino la virtud principal―
como decía el filósofo.

Ojos cerrados
ojos abiertos,
pequeños pasos, pequeños tropezones,

«podrás aprender del hielo
y también de los ratones.
De ratones en el hielo
o hielo sobre ratones.

Scarlet Cameo
Este libro es increíble para leerle a niños de segundo o tercer grado de primaria, siempre y cuando no sólo se les muestren las imágenes sino también que se interactue dentro del margen que el mismo permite.

Entre más se "actue" con el libro, más lo disfrutan los pequeños.
Brittany
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! It is a fun and creative way to get students excited about learning to read. It gives students ideas about many different reading genres. It teaches students that you can be a part of many adventures through reading.
Maram AlNajrani
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"You have to be a speedy reader because there's so, so much to read!"
Madison
Nov 21, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a Dr. Seuss book that not everyone may have heard of. It is another unique piece of work done by Dr. Seuss. The style of this book is very unique, on some pages the words are written in a whimsical way around the illustrations. This makes the book more appealing for young kids. The book is about a guy who tries to read books with his eyes shut. The cat in the hat explains to his friend that if he reads with his eyes shut he will miss out on so many great details within a book or whatever ...more
Francis
I had never even heard of this book before my 3 year old son was given it as a gift. This is a very entertaining story by Dr. Seuss. I look forward to rereading it many times with my son and daughter.
Kassidy Pine
Sep 03, 2014 rated it liked it
In the book I Can Read With My Eyes Shut, the author, Dr. Seuss allows the Cat in the Hat to take the adolescent reader through the act and experience of reading. From the cat reading in bed, to reading on the go, and even upside down. The cat displays his ability to read with his eyes shut and how the task in itself is a difficult job to do. He moves forward in acknowledges the positives in keeping ones eyes open for the purpose of gaining more expertise by reading. He displays this by gaining ...more
Rachel Manak
Jan 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Dr. Seuss's "I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!" is a classic Dr. Seuss book. He uses clever rhyme scheme to create a story that will be appealing to both adults and children of all ages. This book in particular uses anaphora by beginning the majority of the sentences with "I can read". As children read this, they begin to gain more confidence with their reading because they can read, and they are repeatedly saying, "I can read!" One my assume that this book is simply about reading with your eyes clo ...more
Matt Guendel
Oct 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
I read this book because I wanted to read a Dr. Seuss book. It had been years and I wanted to remember why I liked this author so much. I remembered after reading a few of his clever lines but I still gave a low rating on this book. I did this because even though it was entertaining, there are so many more better Dr. Seuss books that I would recommend before this one. The Grinch and The Cat In the Hat are two examples. Still this was a good book and it is good because it motivates kids to read. ...more
Darin Nordman
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I Can Read With My Eyes Shut by Dr. Seuss

As a reader, I have made the assumption that everyone loves Dr. Seuss and his rhythmical style stories. This book was no different from his first and last book. Filled with rhymes and goofy illustrations, this book puts a smile on my face. It elaborates on how reading can be enjoyable and it doesn't necessarily mean reading chapter books or old "boring" books. It could be reading anything a reader can find enjoyable or learning something new. I feel that
Vi (the Vi3tBabe)
This may be one of my favorite Dr. Seuss books. It was such a fun read and I loved reading it to my kids. I’ve always loved that Dr. Seuss books rhyme and they always have a bit of silliness to it that appeals to kids. Another point in Dr. Seuss’ favor is that the books teach a lesson. The lesson here is that it’s fun to read and you know that hit home for me. Everything about a Seuss book is excellent. The illustrations are whimsical, the story is silly, yet concise. And, I don’t know about you ...more
Chase Vombaur
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I can read with my eyes shut by Dr. Seuss

I can read with my eyes shut doesn’t really have a story line or plot at all. It’s written as a moral code. The moral of the story is that it’s important to read. The book lists a few goofy ways to make reading seem less boring. Dr. Seuss’s goal was to make reading vibrant and colorful, I believe he achieved that goal. The book helps depict all of the useful things that reading can help you gain.

The book is a typical Dr. Seuss style. The book is extremel
Tyler Wetzel
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
personal response: I read this book to my little brother and he said it was a great book. He also said he liked the pictures very much and the rhymes. We both agreed that Dr. Seuss was our favorite author of all time.

Plot summary: This book is a short book full of rhymes. The book explains how a fictional cat can read in different colors and places. He eventually starts reading with his eyes shut. After reading with his eyes shut he explains how it hurts to read with his eyes shut and tells kids
Nancy Mosqueda
Dr. Seuss once again showes us why he is a favorite amongst young readers. His choice of words, and rhyme, has its own way of captivating children. In this fascinating story,The Cat In The Hat, teaches us that the best way to read is with your eyes open. Even though it is possible to read in other ways, by reading with open eyes,you will not miss out on all the amazing things reading has to offer you. So keep your eyes wide, wide open because if you close them, there is no telling what you might ...more
Nick
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
While enjoyable, I find the factual claims of this tome to be dubious at best. Sure, I believe that the feline narrator can read with his eyes shut. I've tried it, and it makes my eyebrows red hot as well. No, my problem is with the claim that reading with my eyes open will teach me about Foo-Foo the Snoo. In all my years, I've never been able to find another book that mentions that guy. And based on the author's illustration, he looks like a weirdo.
Anna Rothenhoefer
Aug 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Dr. Suess's I can Read With My Eyes Shut is a great book for young children. It helps to teach kids about all the different things there are that you can read about. It is fun for kids to read and listen to because of the friendly vocabulary and the rhyming. I like how the book relates reading to everyday life, such as street signs and places in the world. This a great educstional book to teach children about reading and what you can do with reading.
Sharon
Another Dr. Seuss classic that exacts blends of words and pictures that encourage children to read by themselves. "Young cat! If you keep your eyes open enough, oh the stuff you will learn! The most wonderful stuff." I love that regardless of how you read, the main goal of this book is to help children realize the importance and value of readinng. I love this entertaining book about reading everywhere even with your left eye, in bed, and with your eyes closed!
Courtney Watson
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Dr.Suess never seems to disappoint in this young children's book. He shows you that it actually can be quite difficult to read with you eyes shut. He does this with rhyming words and simple sight words to help a young reader learn the basics. It shows a reader the many different things you can learn about if you read with your eyes wide open.
Sadia Mansoor
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
"The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go"

"You have to be a speedy reader 'cause there's so, so much to read" <3

Dr. Seuss, the rhyme Master! ^_^
Brittany Laccetti
Mar 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
It's one of my favorite Dr Seuss classics. Reading to my daughter brings back memories. I like the fact that this book emphasizes all the thing a person might miss if they don't pay attention to the things around them.
Tanya Suresh
Love
Jessica
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: educ542
Summary: In Dr.Seuss’ I Can Read with My Eyes Shut, Cat in the Hat encourages Young Cat to learn what reading is all about. The ironic title is repeated throughout the book as something that makes reading much harder and Dr. Seuss then gives example after example of how much fun you have while reading. The rhyming pattern and colorful pictures add to the message about all the things you can do if you keep your eyes open inside of shut.

Teaching tool: Teaches colors, feelings, rhyming, passion for
Caryn Bird
I chose to reread this book because as a kid I memorized it and would read it with my eyes shut. Ironically, the message of the book is to keep your eyes pealed because it makes reading much easier. There are great illustrations to help young reader's make meaning by using the images to possibly help tell the story of what they see if they are not ready to read all the words. There is also quite a bit of rhyming in the story as well as multi syllabic words for early readers. This book was design ...more
Gloria Clayton
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
In true Dr. Seuss fashion, I Can Read With My Eyes Shut! is a playful book about the joy and power of reading. While the text is simple, bold colorful artwork make the text come alive. Initially the book begins with playful ways one can look at text and reading:

“I can read
in red.
I can read
in blue.
I can read in
pickle color
too.”

But as the story progresses with different examples of things one can read and learn about, the anchor message of the book is revealed,
"The more that you read,
the more thi
I can especially knowing football practice 1 2 Dec 18, 2015 11:11PM
a picture book on readers and reading 1 2 Aug 31, 2014 01:49PM
MCC Children's Li...: Pitcure Books on reading 1 2 Jan 24, 2012 05:38PM
like it 1 5 Jan 22, 2012 10:44AM
Week 1 2 17 Sep 08, 2011 02:41PM
  • The Ear Book (Bright & Early Books)
  • Oh say can you say di-no-saur?
  • The Berenstains' B Book (Bright & Early Books)
  • There's No Place Like Space: All About Our Solar System (Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)
  • It's Not Easy Being Big! (Bright & Early Books)
  • Thomas and the School Trip (Thomas & Friends)
  • Can You Tell Me How to Get to Sesame Street?
  • Snow
  • Zack's Alligator
  • A Fly Went by
  • Choral Warm-ups from A-Z: Singing Dr. Seuss's ABC
  • The Foolish Tortoise
More about Dr. Seuss...
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.” 22809 likes
“You’ll miss the best things if you keep your eyes shut.” 2620 likes