Start by marking “First Comes Love: The Family in the Church and the Trinity” as Want to Read:
First Comes Love: The Family in the Church and the Trinity

First Comes Love: The Family in the Church and the Trinity

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  454 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Scott Hahn has the rare ability to explain the essential teachings of Catholicism in a totally accessible manner. Rather than burdening the reader with difficult or arcane references and arguments, he writes of familiar feelings and situations and allows the theology to unfold naturally. In First Comes Love, Hahn turns his attention to the search for a sense of belonging, ...more
Published June 11th 2002 by Image (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about First Comes Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Comes Love

Faith
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(First, can I thank Rich Mullins and Brennan Manning for preparing my heart to appreciate all Christian wisdom, Catholic or otherwise? Thank you, both of you!)

First Come Love is a really rich look at the communion of perfect love within Trinity, and how God brings us into His own family.
That summary is as shallow as a puddle, by the way. That's what this book did for me, it convinced me that I can swim in this truth my whole life, diving deeper and deeper, and never see the bottom of it. Any a
Monica
Jul 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read several of Scott Hahn's books, and I always come away with a greater understanding of something profound. This one, I think, is the best so far. Here, he uses everyday language to discuss the Holy Trinity, and how God Himself is reflected in our human families. This gave me new insight on how sacred the family bond really is, as it is, (as humans themselves are), created in God's image. I never thought about how God is not a lonley individual, but essentially a family unit, with a Fath ...more
Gigi
Mar 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love Scott Hahn!
Stuart
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First Comes Love is a book about family, but not family in the way that the world thinks of it. Instead, it focuses on the Trinity and the Church. If we look at the Gospels, we can see that Jesus used familial terms a lot. He even went so far as to say that his family wasn't his mother, brothers, and sisters, but those who do the will of God. Dr. Hahn touches on this theme and more in this book.

The book starts off with a personal love story from Dr. Hahn. He talks about how he met his future wif
Emilia P
May 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: real-books, churrrch
So Scottie. We meet for the first time. I am not a fan of your punny titles. I am a fan of your unabashed Bible and Catechism quoting!

So basically the best thing about Scott Hahn is that he reads like a really good homily - he raises as many questions as he answers. This can also be sort of a downside. He talks about how Jesus came along and changed and the notion of the trustee family in the society, and about how the Trinity is the model for the family. Which means he gets into all the Jesus a
Nov 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, this book took me months to read. It isn't the type of book that you read cover to cover. Anytime that I was stuck somewhere with this as my only reading material and I attempted to read it that way, I always had to come back later to reread. There were times in this book that I was like, "Okay, I get it. You are just repeating yourself but saying it a little bit different." When I read it in chapter-size pieces, it got much more out of it. The book involves (at least for me) a lot ...more
Grace
May 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a bit more theologically deep than many of Hahn's other books. They're all deep, but this one delves into the innermost mysteries of the Trinity, which can be much more abstract than, say, a typological comparison of the Last Supper and the Passover. It's definitely worth reading, but if you're new to Scott Hahn's work or to Christian theology, you might want to try something a little more "down to earth" first, like Rome Sweet Home, Signs of Life, or The Lamb's Supper.
Ryan
Aug 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Scott Hahn? Theological. Ninja. I know it's not even July yet, but this is the best book I've read so far this summer. It's no wonder Cardinal Leveda recently compared Scott Hahn to CS Lewis. As for this book, I'll let another Catholic rock star give the plug:

"Hahn reflects simply yet profoundly on the nitty-gritty of life, love, relationships, marriage, and family in the context of the bedrock doctrines of Christian faith. This book is full of good news and solid answers to life's tough questi
Chad Judice
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Catholic Family is truly the model of the Blessed Trinity and is a physical symbol to all who witness the sacrificial love of being both a spouse and parent. The two hardest things I have ever done in my life are to be a parent and a husband. Scott Hahn clearly illustrates how sacrificial love for the benefit of the other within the family is a model of 1 John 4:8 "Whoever is without love does not know God, for God is love."
Ht El
Sep 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eases people with even the most prickly of demeanors when it comes to religion. A thorough, beautifully written explanation of the Catholic Church and the Holy Trinity. New Evangelization for Catholics who don't know their faith as well as they would want to or a schooling for those Catholics who assume that they know enough. And it is the electricity that turns on the light for those who don't believe. It almost reads like a beautiful painting put into text.
Elizabeth
Dec 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion, 2013
The thing about books by Scott Hahn is that the title isn't as informative as you would think. This book is about understanding the Trinity as a family. In the same way earthly marriage teaches us about how God loves his church, Family life teaches us about the Trinity. I enjoyed his explanations of how family was viewed in biblical times and how that ties into our understanding of God and the New Covenant. There were a few parts that got kind of boring, but over all I liked this book.
Don
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
extended mind games, as brothers and sisters, man animated by breath and spirit of god, fear of Lord or pride, perfect love and justice, die death include virtue, choose gifts over giver settles for too little, strive more perfect, wisdom in friendship pure delight, knowledge and loving, spirit of truth as Holy Spirit, help others grow in happiness in self-giving.
Donna
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Our relationship with God is based on the family. The Church reflects the family. Once we understand how fundamental the family is to our relationship with the Holy Trinity, we come to understand how the family must be protected and not redefined by politicians. We, as a country, must recognize the importance of respect for the family and for the Church.
Sara
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Scott Hahn never disappoints! This book examined the life of the family as reflection of the Life of the Trinity. Dr. Hahn has the ability to take difficult concepts and explain them in terms that are easier to understand. He has quite a gift.
Kevin Durkin
Apr 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Considering I'm gay as a goose, I actually liked the breakdown this book offered on marriage between straighties. I read it for a class, but I liked it's explanation of the institution based on the historical side of Catholicism.
Tiffanie
I love this book.. and Scott Hahn as a writter
April
Oct 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: catholic
As usual, Scott Hahn wrote a wonderful book. :)
Hilary De
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book shortly before getting married and loved it.
John Poston
Provides amazing insights into the house of God, especially in the context of a family!
Sherri
May 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really loved this book, got more out of it than I had anticipated I would.
Philip Cooper
Oct 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I do not agree with the Catholic theology of this author in this book, it does provide an interesting look into the mindest of those who are true believers in the Chatholic faith.
Eustis
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: catholic
Awesome book! Very revealing.
нєνєℓ  ¢ανα
Aryn
Aug 16, 2012
Colleen
Sep 25, 2012
  • Good News About Sex & Marriage: Answers to Your Honest Questions about Catholic Teaching
  • Life-Giving Love: Embracing God's Beautiful Design for Marriage
  • A Map of Life
  • By What Authority? An Evangelical Discovers Catholic Tradition
  • Love and Responsibility
  • Catholic Christianity: A Complete Catechism of Catholic Beliefs Based on the Catechism of the Catholic Church
  • Jesus of Nazareth, Part Two: Holy Week: From the Entrance into Jerusalem to the Resurrection
  • 33 Days to Morning Glory
  • Letters to a Young Catholic
  • The World's First Love: Mary, Mother of God
  • Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic
  • Catholicism and Fundamentalism
  • Compendium: Catechism of the Catholic Church
Dr. Scott Hahn was born in 1957, and has been married to Kimberly since 1979. He and Kimberly have six children and are expecting their twelfth grandchild. An exceptionally popular speaker and teacher, Dr. Hahn has delivered numerous talks nationally and internationally on a wide variety of topics related to Scripture and the Catholic faith. Hundreds of these talks have been produced on audio and ...more
More about Scott Hahn...
“Marriage and family life give us constant opportunities to deny ourselves for the sake of others. And yet self-denial is not a mask for self-contempt, but the necessary means for achieving self-mastery; for self-mastery makes possible our self-giving and self-fulfillment. Sin is not wanting too much, but settling for too little. It's settling for self-gratification rather than self-fulfillment.” 5 likes