Start by marking “The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins” as Want to Read:
The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins

The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  12,664 Ratings  ·  312 Reviews
Celebrate the 75th birthday of this classic treatise on bullying by Dr. Seuss with our new foil-covered, color-enhanced Anniversary Edition!

While The 500 Hats is one of Dr. Seuss's earliest and lesser known works, it is nevertheless totally Seussian and
Hardcover, 75th Anniversary Edition, 56 pages
Published December 9th 1989 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published September 1st 1938)

To ask other readers questions about The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins

[Shai] The Bibliophage
I was able to read the sequel before this book, so I was expecting that this could be better. I prefer the sequel than this, but I still enjoyed the story. It's just that I don't think that I found any lesson after reading it.
Ronyell
Bartholomew

“The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins” is one of Dr. Seuss’ earlier books as it is not written in the rhyming text that Dr. Seuss has been well known for. “The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins” is about a young boy named Bartholomew Cubbins who discovers that every time he takes a hat off his head, a new one sprouts up on his head, which cause trouble for him when the king finds out about it. This book may be a bit too dark for smaller children, but older children will definitely enjoy this class
Alan Cook
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Seuss wasn't a great poet, but he had a way with words and told a good story, usually with a moral. We had this book when I was young. I like to think the good doctor influenced my poetry writing. Here is my ode to him:

ODE TO DR. SEUSS

by Alan Cook

In the whimsical world of beloved Dr. Seuss
Live an elephant (faithful), a big-hearted moose,
And creatures, the wildest that you ever saw,
A grinch with a heart that's three sizes too small,
A bustard, a lorax (he speaks for the trees),
And prejudiced s
Mariah
May 16, 2018 rated it liked it
My students found this book morbid and boring.

"The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins is the story of a young peasant and his unjust treatment at the hands of King Derwin."
Matt
Jun 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, humor
Since I was 6, just learning to read on my own and going through my Dr. Suess phase, this has been my favorite Dr. Seuss story. What didn't occur to me then, that occurs to me now, is that this is one of Dr. Seuss's only prose works. It does not have Dr. Seuss's easily parodied meter or a rhyme scheme.

I don't know what the meaning of the story is. If it has an overall meaning, its not nearly as easy to tease out as so many of Seuss's openly allegorical and more famous tales. Perhaps that's part
Jason
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Matthew
I have been dreading to read this book not because of the plot but for the mere fact that it is a very long book considering that its a children illustrated books. It surprises me that even though it is relatively a short book compare to an adult novel, it feels the same as to reading a 500-paged book. Luckily I am fortunate enough that this was not a bad book but not a typical Dr. Seuss book.

I have to warn everyone that since this one of Dr. Seuss earliest works, it lacks the usual creative met
Luann
Apr 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, picture-book
Fun! I may have read this one when I was young, but I didn't remember most of the details - except maybe when the hats started getting fancier with each one. I seemed to remember that.

I wanted an explanation for why Bartholomew suddenly couldn't take off his hat, but I did like that it was brought up again in the end, that no one "could ever explain how the strange thing had happened. They only could say it just 'happened to happen' and was not very likely to happen again."

This is one of the lo
Julia
I read this children book at the age of 24. Quite late, but I'm not from US. I first heard about Dr. Seuss, when I become consciously intrested in American literature and culture. Why I decided to read book for children? Because I heard that his books cause, that quite a lot of children were fond of reading. The final two reasons to read this book were that I found downloadable version of book (it wasn't published in Poland) and curiosity. I looked for the answer why Jared Leto directed his musi ...more
Dolly
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2013, childrens
In honor of Dr. Seuss's birthday and the Read Aloud America program, I wanted to find one of his books we hadn't read yet.

I checked Goodreads and realized that we still had several more to read. So I borrowed a few of them from our local library and we chose this one tonight.

This story is different from what we've come to expect from the good doctor. The narrative is long and it doesn't rhyme. It's not filled with fantastic, crazy creatures. It's actually one of the most straightforward stories
Samantha
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ANY and EVERY one
Recommended to Samantha by: Alexandria King
I simply ADORE this book. Bartholomew just can't seem to catch a break! He takes his hat off in the presence of the king only to be taken to the castle for not doing so. What is up with that? Could it possibly be the fact that he just can't take off his hat? OR is it because one keeps appearing underneath every one he takes off. The hats are so pretty and they keep getting more & more eye-catching. One of my favorite Dr. Seuss books ever!!! =)
Patricia
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Joy Gerbode
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the first Dr. Seuss books I ever read, and it was a delight to re-read it. It's not in the well-known rhyming format we're accustomed to with Dr. Seuss, but it is full of wit, great pictures, and interesting characters.
Rupert Dreyfus
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great little story about a boy with a hat he can't remove until...

I enjoyed this story; it felt very much of its day. The illustrations were nice and there was hardly any rhyming. What rhyming there was I couldn't tell if it was accidental or not.

Vcmc
Jan 21, 2017 rated it liked it
A nicely written tall tale. A bit pointless but fun.
bakanekonomama
Dec 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Ketika Bartholomew memakai 500 topi di kepalanya....

Tepatnya nggak memakai semuanya sih. Tapi Bartholomew dapat masalah ketika ia tidak bisa melepas topinya di depan raja! Berapa kalipun ia ambil topinya, tetap saja sebuah topi masih bertengger di kepalanya. Berbagai macam cara dicoba. Mulai dari cara biasa hingga luar biasa. Dari memanggil pemanah hingga penyihir istana. Dari orang jago hingga algojo.

Lalu, berhasilkah raja melihat kepala telanjang Batholomew tanpa satupun topi bertengger di ke
Heidi
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it

I remember reading this book when I was very
young and really loving it. Its plot is so
absolutely creative and original.

I am absolutely amazed that this book is not more well-known and that
it is does not have many more people that have read it.

I am amazed that it does not have about a million ratings.

Perhaps because
it is an older book it was not as widely available in a lot of more
modern libraries.
Brandon Miller
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kiddo-books
I just rediscovered this childhood favorite and wow. Still much favorite. And reading it allowed to fam is so much better.
"It happened to happen and was not very likely to happen again."
Romee Darling
Sep 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-books
3.5

Cute story. But I'm not really impressed.
Kathy Davie
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
A Dr. Seuss mystery and first in the Bartholomew Cubbins series.

My Take
This is cute, and it does resonate, as I love hats and have my own much smaller collection. And it's lucky for Bartholomew that the executioner has rules!

The illustrations are all in black and white…except for that orange hat. It makes sense since it's the focus of the entire story, lol. And the illustrations are fabulous. I'd love for any one of them as art hanging on a wall.

Hmmm, I don't think I like a king who gets so upse
Lauren Ritcey
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fab-40
Genre: Fantasy/Sci-Fi
Awards:
Grade Level: K-2
Comments: I would use this book while celebrating Dr. Seuss' birthday. I would bring it in because it has such a fun idea to the story, and the students would be able to keep guessing what would happen next. After we finished reading, I would have them complete an activity showing me that they can put the story in order of what happened, because it is a long book. This book can also let the students get creative and use art skills. Having them all mak
Jack Kirby and the X-man
The first straight prose book I've read by Dr. Seuss.

I found it too long, too wordy, with a unoriginal setting and a plot that is uninspiring.

After starting the the fantastic And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street, Dr. Seuss seems to have had a bad case of follow-up album not meeting expectations.
Madison Zavala-johnson
At first when I saw this Dr Seuss book WASN'T a rhyming book I thought that I wasn't going to like it, but it is a funny little story. A power-mad King who demands a boy takes he hat off when in the presence of a powerful man as he, the problem is taking of your hat is not as easy as you'd think it would be. The illustrations are very nice too, all shades of black and grey with the bright red hat standing out. One of Dr Seuss's more interesting and less insane books. I Rate this book a 4/5 stars ...more
Jun 17, 2008 rated it it was ok
This story was fairly amusing, it had strange little elements that made you want to turn the page to see what would happen next. While I thought it was an interesting book, it was just missing a certain something to make it a book you would want to read over and over again.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2008...
Emkoshka
An enjoyable tale of a young man whose hat has a seemingly eternal life of its own, spawning hat after hat and getting him into trouble with the king. I like these early Seuss books in which a simple story is told well and in a prose style; sometimes the rhyming and the weird and wonderful creatures featured in most of Seuss's books can be all a bit too much.
Hirdesh
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantasy children's book.
Travis
Feb 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics, sf-fantasy
Love the two Bartholomew books that Dr. Seuss did. Nice little fantasy stories.
This one tells how the simple act of taking off his hat when being presented to the king gets young Bartholomew in all kinds of trouble.
How come no one has scooped up the movie rights?
Hannah Barton
This book is a child hood favorite and I have read it a lot. Dr. Seuss has filled my child hood with greatness. I love this book. It is a funny and exciting book. The 500 Hats is a great book.
Elizabeth Barter
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When i was a little girl, this was my favourite Dr. Seuss Story.Today is Dr. Seuss's birthday.Let's try to reflect on joy and thoughtfulness today.
Amy
Dec 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
I liked this book, but it is my least favorite Dr. Seuss book I've read so far. Every time Bartholomew Cubbins removes his hat, another hat remains on his head.
Seuss Lovers: The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins 1 1 Dec 06, 2012 07:17PM
  • Madeline and the Gypsies
  • The Giant Jam Sandwich
  • Hippos Go Berserk!
  • The Z Was Zapped
  • Richard Scarry's Best Storybook Ever!
  • The Travels of Babar

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • In the Name of the Family
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth Avenue Artists Society
  • All That's Left of Me
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Labyrinths (New Directions Paperbook)
    $15.95 $2.99
  • The Year We Left Home
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Whip
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Written on the Body
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Dragon's Teeth (The Lanny Budd Novels)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)