Start by marking “The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins” as Want to Read:
The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins

The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins

Celebrate the 75th birthday of this classic treatise on bullying by Dr. Seuss with our new foil-covered, color-enhanced Anniversary Edition!

While The 500 Hats is one of Dr. Seuss's earliest and lesser known works, it is nevertheless totally Seussian and
Hardcover, 75th Anniversary Edition, 56 pages
Published December 9th 1989 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published September 1st 1938)

To ask other readers questions about The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins

Start your review of The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins
Fergus
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
When we laughed and laughed along with Doctor Seuss in The 500 Hats, after it was published in the post-war years, I think I always confused it with The Sorceror’s Apprentice.

Remember that Disney Halloween clip from Fantasia?

Same fantastic comically nightmarish sort of premise, I guess...

My mother, the town librarian, was WAY ahead of the rest of our village in the mid-1950’s.

Especially when it came to the Seuss books.

She got so she could sniff out a potential kid’s literary masterpiece after
[Shai] Bibliophage
I was able to read the sequel before this book, so I was expecting that this could be better. I prefer the sequel than this, but I still enjoyed the story. It's just that I don't think that I found any lesson after reading it.
Ronyell
Bartholomew

“The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins” is one of Dr. Seuss’ earlier books as it is not written in the rhyming text that Dr. Seuss has been well known for. “The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins” is about a young boy named Bartholomew Cubbins who discovers that every time he takes a hat off his head, a new one sprouts up on his head, which cause trouble for him when the king finds out about it. This book may be a bit too dark for smaller children, but older children will definitely enjoy this
Sophia Triad
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Very funny book. One if the few non-rhyming books ever written by Dr. Seuss.
We enjoyed it thoroughly.
Matt
Jun 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, humor
Since I was 6, just learning to read on my own and going through my Dr. Suess phase, this has been my favorite Dr. Seuss story. What didn't occur to me then, that occurs to me now, is that this is one of Dr. Seuss's only prose works. It does not have Dr. Seuss's easily parodied meter or a rhyme scheme.

I don't know what the meaning of the story is. If it has an overall meaning, its not nearly as easy to tease out as so many of Seuss's openly allegorical and more famous tales. Perhaps that's part
Alan Cook
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Seuss wasn't a great poet, but he had a way with words and told a good story, usually with a moral. We had this book when I was young. I like to think the good doctor influenced my poetry writing. Here is my ode to him:

ODE TO DR. SEUSS

by Alan Cook

In the whimsical world of beloved Dr. Seuss
Live an elephant (faithful), a big-hearted moose,
And creatures, the wildest that you ever saw,
A grinch with a heart that's three sizes too small,
A bustard, a lorax (he speaks for the trees),
And prejudiced
Candace
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bartholomew Cubbins lives on a farm. He looks across the land to the castle and feels very small. King Derwin lives in the castle and looks down toward the farms. He feels mighty important. One day Bartholomew is walking from his farm to the town to sell cranberries. The king with his trumpeters and King's Own Guard are racing through town on a royal precession. King Derwin stops the precessional when he see Bartholomew with his hat still on. The king becomes angry and demands Bartholomew ...more
Matthew
I have been dreading to read this book not because of the plot but for the mere fact that it is a very long book considering that its a children illustrated books. It surprises me that even though it is relatively a short book compare to an adult novel, it feels the same as to reading a 500-paged book. Luckily I am fortunate enough that this was not a bad book but not a typical Dr. Seuss book.

I have to warn everyone that since this one of Dr. Seuss earliest works, it lacks the usual creative
Mariah Roze
May 16, 2018 rated it liked it
My students found this book morbid and boring.

"The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins is the story of a young peasant and his unjust treatment at the hands of King Derwin."
Jason
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
At first when I saw this Dr Seuss book WASN'T a rhyming book I thought that I wasn't going to like it, but it is a funny little story. A power-mad King who demands a boy takes he hat off when in the presence of a powerful man as he, the problem is taking of your hat is not as easy as you'd think it would be. The illustrations are very nice too, all shades of black and grey with the bright red hat standing out. One of Dr Seuss's more interesting and less insane books.
Luann
Apr 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, 2012
Fun! I may have read this one when I was young, but I didn't remember most of the details - except maybe when the hats started getting fancier with each one. I seemed to remember that.

I wanted an explanation for why Bartholomew suddenly couldn't take off his hat, but I did like that it was brought up again in the end, that no one "could ever explain how the strange thing had happened. They only could say it just 'happened to happen' and was not very likely to happen again."

This is one of the
Cynthia Austin
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
*Review from my 8 year old* So, I really like the part when the King said, "Young man, march down to the dungeon and tell the executioner to chop off your head." Then, Bartholomew had to take off his hats to get his head chopped off, but he has 500 hats on so he can't. Then, he went over to the King and said, "I have to not have a hat on to get my head chopped off."
It was a good book.
Kerri
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children
I was so surprised there was no rhyme scheme in this one when I first read it! I thought Dr. Seuss always rhymed. A silly little story dealing with the craziness of social convention and when power goes to the head. Strange, but funny.
Julia
I read this children book at the age of 24. Quite late, but I'm not from US. I first heard about Dr. Seuss, when I become consciously intrested in American literature and culture. Why I decided to read book for children? Because I heard that his books cause, that quite a lot of children were fond of reading. The final two reasons to read this book were that I found downloadable version of book (it wasn't published in Poland) and curiosity. I looked for the answer why Jared Leto directed his ...more
Dolly
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2013
In honor of Dr. Seuss's birthday and the Read Aloud America program, I wanted to find one of his books we hadn't read yet.

I checked Goodreads and realized that we still had several more to read. So I borrowed a few of them from our local library and we chose this one tonight.

This story is different from what we've come to expect from the good doctor. The narrative is long and it doesn't rhyme. It's not filled with fantastic, crazy creatures. It's actually one of the most straightforward stories
Joy Gerbode
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the first Dr. Seuss books I ever read, and it was a delight to re-read it. It's not in the well-known rhyming format we're accustomed to with Dr. Seuss, but it is full of wit, great pictures, and interesting characters.

Feb 2019 ... I hadn't read this book for quite a while, but working in the library I decided to share some of my favorite Dr. Seuss. This one, unlike most of his books, does NOT rhyme ... and I'm not really sure there's a "hidden message", either, as in Green Eggs
Samantha
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ANY and EVERY one
Recommended to Samantha by: Alexandria King
I simply ADORE this book. Bartholomew just can't seem to catch a break! He takes his hat off in the presence of the king only to be taken to the castle for not doing so. What is up with that? Could it possibly be the fact that he just can't take off his hat? OR is it because one keeps appearing underneath every one he takes off. The hats are so pretty and they keep getting more & more eye-catching. One of my favorite Dr. Seuss books ever!!! =)
Patricia
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Rupert Dreyfus
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great little story about a boy with a hat he can't remove until...

I enjoyed this story; it felt very much of its day. The illustrations were nice and there was hardly any rhyming. What rhyming there was I couldn't tell if it was accidental or not.

Vcmc
Jan 21, 2017 rated it liked it
A nicely written tall tale. A bit pointless but fun.
Heather
Jan 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
One of two non-rhyming books ever written by Dr. Seuss, and by far my favorite! (PS: the second non-rhyming book? Its sequel: Bartholomew & the Oobleck. Just FYI.)
Abigail
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
My husband had never read this we immediately had to remedy that situation so I read it to him. I enjoyed revisiting this book.

Eta: After posting this review I read the book description where it talks about this being a "classic treatise on bullying." I mentioned this to my husband, we discussed it for about 30 seconds, and are both in agreement that sometimes a whimsical story about hats is just a whimsical story about hats.
Heidi
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it

I remember reading this book when I was very
young and really loving it. Its plot is so
absolutely creative and original.

I am absolutely amazed that this book is not more well-known and that
it is does not have many more people that have read it.

I am amazed that it does not have about a million ratings.

Perhaps because
it is an older book it was not as widely available in a lot of more
modern libraries.
Dan Dixon
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
This was an interesting book, Dr. Seuss helps children learn about customs that are assumed by royalty and how people interact with those customs. It also taught them how to count higher numbers.
Dawn C.
An interesting story without the regular rhyming of Dr. Seuss's other stories.
Diana
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
This is one of my mom's VERY favorite Dr. Seuss titles. I loved it as a kid, too, and I still love it now. The comment about how it was the same view but backward is a brilliant concept for kids still learning about alternate perspectives...and maybe just as good for us adults who need to learn to see things through the eyes of others...

Creative, magical story, and the touch of red in the illustrations is fantastic. This really is a literary masterpiece, in my opinion.

And I totally need to start
Romee Darling
Sep 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-books
3.5

Cute story. But I'm not really impressed.
Bri
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
this was such a fun little read
Brandon Miller
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kiddo-books
I just rediscovered this childhood favorite and wow. Still much favorite. And reading it allowed to fam is so much better.
"It happened to happen and was not very likely to happen again."
Ilaria Garner
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
'I can't execute anyone with his hat on', need I say more?
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Seuss Lovers: The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins 1 3 Dec 06, 2012 07:17PM

• Alligators All Around
  • The Legend of the Indian Paintbrush
  • Serendipity
  • The Missing Piece (The Missing Piece, #1)
  • In the Night Kitchen
  • Wacky Wednesday
  • Little Bear (Little Bear, #1)
  • قصه‌های من و بابام - کتاب دوم - شوخی‌ها و مهربانی‌ها
  • Stone Soup
  • Abracadabra! Magic with Mouse and Mole
  • An Annoying ABC
  • Big Egg
Theodor Seuss Geisel was born 2 March 1904 in Springfield, MA. He graduated Dartmouth College in 1925, and proceeded on to Oxford University with the intent of acquiring a doctorate in literature. At Oxford he met Helen Palmer, who he wed in 1927. He returned from Europe in 1927, and began working for a magazine called Judge, the leading humor magazine in America at the time, submitting both ...more
“But neither Bartholomew Cubbins, nor King Derwin himself, nor anyone else in the Kingdom of Didd could ever explain how the strange thing happened. They could only say it just "happened to happen" and was not very likely to happen again.” 3 likes