Start by marking “Other People's Secrets” as Want to Read:
Other People's Secrets

Other People's Secrets

A gripping, twisty story of adultery and scandal from the bestselling author of Our House.

'Candlish's writing draws you in immediately' Heat

Everybody wants the truth . . . until they find it

--------------------------------------------

Ginny and Adam Trustlove arrive on holiday in Italy torn apart by personal tragedy. Two weeks in a boathouse on the edge of peaceful Lake O
Published July 8th 2010 by Sphere (first published January 1st 2010)

Start your review of Other People's Secrets
Dale Harcombe
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
The story concerns two families. One is Ginny and Adam Trustlove who have recently suffered a devastating loss. They are staying at the boathouse on the edge of Lake Orta. The other family in the next door luxury mansion are the Sale family. This consists of Marty, his wife Bea and three adult, or supposedly close to, offspring - Dom, Esther and Pippi. Dom is trying to come to terms with his own secret and not handling it at all well. Esther seems to serve no purpose in the novel except be the t ...more
Suzanne
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-cd, library-wsu
Finally an audio book that surpassed the three star stage! A glorious narrator that added so much to this family drama. It really is as the title suggests. Everyone has their secrets, and a few families have merged together on holidays in Italy. Loss, heartbreak, fidelity and family dynamics come crashing together at this idyllic location - the dramas unfolding don't match the lovely surrounds.

Bea and Ginny are lovely ladies to read about, these two were my pick of a large ensemble cast. The mys
Anni
Aug 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must confess to a guilty addiction for novels about dysfunctional families (is there any other sort) and find myself entranced as usual by this author's expertise in writing them.
An underlying theme in this story is fatherhood and its effects on all the characters - but four in particular. The secrets are revealed gradually, as in any mystery novel: some are obvious from the beginning, others emerge with differing degrees of disbelief-suspension.
I didn't guess the final reveal - but let's fac
Mel (who is deeply in love with herself)
First of all, I liked the author's writing style; it wasnt crammed with loads and loads of unnecessary details about the view or the characters; i really hate that, and Jonathan Kellerman is the main guilty party as far as i'm concerned (he writes a whole page on the characters' clothes and face, but thank God for his awesome plots, he redeems himself then.)
Anyway, back to the book: The main fault (for me) I found in Other People's Secrets is basically the timespan;
TWO WEEKS?!?!?!
How the hell c
Caroline
Nov 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
I tried, I really tried to like this book (have read one of her previous books and very much enjoyed it).

I got as far as page 140, but am giving up here - I find my mind continually detaching from the story as I read, and thinking about what I'm having for dinner, or some such! Which is always a sign that I'm not enjoying it.

Over descriptive, annoying characters, and VERY slow - I shan't be sorry to move onto something else at all.
Cleopatra  Pullen
A boathouse by Lake Orta sounds the most wonderful place for a holiday, and it is a break from life that Ginny and Adam Trustlove need. They have recently had a stillborn son and need to reconnect and find a way forward from this terrible tragedy. The boathouse seems to be the perfect place to do so, peace and quiet and a beautiful blue lake.

The couple have only just begun to settle in when the peace is shattered by Bea and Marty Sale and their three children, Dom, Esther and Pippi who have come
Mandy Baggot
Feb 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
The set up for this book showed great promise but it didn't deliver the goods for me. I liked Louise Candlish's style of writing and she is adept at making you feel the sorrow/turmoil of her main characters but I found the book trickled along for the most part and nothing much happened. The story seemed to wind along at a holiday pace and never really picked up. Pippi was the most well drawn of the characters and the strength of her seemed to make the other characters fall by the wayside in comp ...more
Leah
Mar 16, 2010 rated it liked it
After a devastating tragedy Ginny and Adam Trustlove head to the peaceful Lake Orta in Italy for two weeks in a bid to get their lives back on track. Their peace is shattered a mere 24 hours later though with the arrival of the enigmatic Sale family.

It doesn’t take long for Ginny and Adam to get caught up in the whirlwind that is the Sale’s life and when the youngest Sale, Pippi, brings a new friend into the fray, Zach, everyone finds themselves not knowing where they’re at and suddenly all kind
Cassie
Feb 06, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was sorry to dislike this book so much, because I had previously read The Double Life of Anna Day and found it very good, but this one simply wasn’t in quite the same ball park. This book was really boring. The secrets were so dull. Any real opportunities for conflict, of which there were a number, were glossed over and therefore the books kept bypassing chances to be interesting. It felt like a collection of unfinished ideas almost and certainly although there were difficult decisions and awf ...more
Fluffychick
The glamorous Sale family are holidaying in a luscious villa on Lake Orta. Their stylish and confident air disguise the underlying problems that are simply on hold as Marty, the charasmatic husband and father brings his family together for possibly the last time.
Ginny and Adam Trustlove are devastated by the tragic death of their baby son. Ginny has retreated from the world, whilst her husband is following the self-help and counselling route which creates further tensions as they try to cope wit
Anne
Jul 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
'Other People's Secret's' really is the perfect summer read, set in the Italian lakes and comprising of a small cast of very well drawn characters, it pulls the reader in from page one.

Ginny and Adam Trustlove are at the lakes to try and get over a terrible tragedy that is almost killing their marriage - their holiday neighbours, the wealthy, loud Sale family are having what is probably going to be their last family holiday together.

And, then there is Zach, a mysterious stranger who Pippi Sale b
Nicki
Sep 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Danielle Dent
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
It took me a lot to get into this book and I couldn't summon the enthusiasm for it. I previously have read another of Louise's novels and didn't enjoy this one as much. The ending left me feeling a bit wanting as well - would have liked an epilogue.
Tracey Harriman
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
First off, a positive note. The descriptive writing was lovely.
However... it just went on and on and on, with nothing happening. I just couldn't care less about the characters.
Really wish I'd gone with my gut instinct and given up on the book.
Tanya Fife
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous, thought provoking. Ending wasn't what I expected, a little disappointing, but definitely worth reading!!
Dancingsocks
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
An ok read but a little over contrived and long-winded
Bloss ♡
Jennifer Cardona
May 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Overall, it is a good book. The stories are interesting and keep you wanting to know more. However, the further I read the more I felt all it was being dragged out. As well, I found it a little difficult to connect to the characters. I couldn’t really imagine myself in their state of emotion. In regards to the plot some of the secrets could have been revealed earlier on in the novel rather then all at once. This book took quite some time for me to read, but I will say it was a nice leisurely rea ...more
Birgitt Krumboeck
Mar 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Paula Figueira
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I first started to read the book it seemed a little uninteresting, but then I really enjoyed reading it. It's about two completly different families, that end up having more in common that they imagined. Throughout the book we come across many secrets of both families and dispite of the drama it has many fun parts. In general it's a very good book that surprised me !
Natalie Liddle
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this author and I really enjoyed this book. I do however have mixed feelings about the ending. Would love to explore the readers group questions in a book group because I think it would prompt some very interesting conversations.
Not as gripping as her other books but I did enjoy it.
Karen Hutchinson
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
I have thoroughly enjoyed the authors more recent books but this one wasn’t great . The twists were a bit too obvious and I was expecting more from the end
It would make an ok holiday read and I did like the characters but glad to be finished really
Anne Tanner
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Quite enjoyable, preferred Our House, which I thought was brilliant. Great backdrop of an Italian lake, good characters, quite believable, although a lot of major events all thrown together, a little far-fetched perhaps.Worth a read tho.
Meriel Custance
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed (listening on audio to) this book. Clever and insightful regarding personalities and psyches. There was suspense and surprise. Very engaging characters.
Candy
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
It’s an ok book, not as good as her others. It took me quite a while to get into it. 7/10
June Jones
Jun 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Found this one a struggle, a spoilt rich family, and a family suffering grief, brought together by a close proximity holiday home. And along came Zach!
Julie
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good storyline inter-twining various secrets with characters who meet by chance, or do they? Enjoyable and look forward to more books by Louise. "Our House"is my favourite still
Claire
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
A lovely believable tale with good characters and a hopeful ending. Preferred this to The Disappearance of Emily Marr. 😀
Simone Harper
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Good read,disappointing ending
Jackie Hannaford
Aug 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Not as good as Our House by the same author. Much more predictable. However, still an ok read and set in lovely Italian surroundings.

• Lies, Lies, Lies
  • The Catch
  • Sleep
  • Just Like the Other Girls
  • The Dinner Party
  • The Flight: Two passengers. Two tickets. One chance to escape.
  • I Made a Mistake
  • Blood Orange
  • Seven Days
  • The Fallout
  • Date Night
'A superb thriller' Washington Post on OUR HOUSE

Hello! I'm the author of fourteen novels, including my brand-new release THE OTHER PASSENGER, a dark thriller about envy and deception set on the Thames river buses.

OUR HOUSE, a #1 bestseller in paperback, ebook and audio and won the British Book Awards 2019 Book of the Year - Crime & Thriller and is in development for a major TV series.

THOSE PEOPL