Start by marking “Love Poems” as Want to Read:
Love Poems

Love Poems

Whether writing of longing or adultery, seduction or simple homely acts of love, Carol Ann Duffy brings to her readers the truth of each experience. Her poetry speaks of tangled, heated passion; of erotic love; fierce and hungry love; unrequited love; and of the end of love.
Published February 1st 2010 by Picador USA (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Love Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Poems

metaphor
Jul 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I want you and you are not here. I pause
in this garden, breathing the colour thought is
before language into still air. Even your name
is a pale ghost and, though I exhale it again
and again, it will not stay with me. Tonight
I make you up, imagine you, your movements clearer
than the words I have you say you said before.

Wherever you are now, inside my head you fix me
with a look, standing here whilst cool late light
dissolves into the earth. I have got your mouth wrong,
but still it smiles. I hold you
Heather
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Carol Ann Duffy is one of my favourite poets and this collection of poems on the theme of love is brilliant. The poems are taken from other Duffy collections and brought together along this common theme. My favourite poem of all time ‘Valentine’
Shriya
Random Personal Anecdote (Because I like to be Random) : You're not always on a holiday to a country you once lived in and meeting your best penfriend and her husband whilst there for a few hours, when you suddenly land into
a charity shop and find an anthology of a poet you discovered only two days ago while watching a random programme on rare breeds of pigs and witch burnings? I know I am not and I don't. What's less likely is you buying that anthology on an impulse! However, I can safely s
Kirsty
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: borrowed, favourites
Love Poems was another library book which I could not walk past without picking up. I adore Carol Ann Duffy’s poems, and am slowly working my way through all of her volumes. All of the work which is collected in this book comes from other volumes, some of which I have already read, but it is a wonderful idea to collect poetry which has such a central theme together.

Throughout, Duffy’s writing is startling and drips with emotion. She has the knack of painting incredibly vivid pictures in the mind
Jess Edwards
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never devoured a poetry book so quickly before. This woman is WONDERFUL and I would give nearly all the poems in this collection a 10/10 💓💓💓
Mimi Carstairs
Although this collection held several enjoyable poems for me, I must admit that the majority of Duffy's love poems assembled here fell shockingly short of my expectations, and desire when having picked it up. Many of them made me feel a little...uncomfortable, to be honest. I'm not sure what it was, exactly, and it truly hurts my heart to be writing this as Duffy has written one of my all-time favourite poetry collections (The Bees - see my review here), but there we go.
That being said, the one
Mara Shaw
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! Duffy's poems are lush, rich, textured, emotive, accessible and so lovely. Vivid poetry on the topic of love with great insight -- from the early crush to adultery to heartbreak to distant longing. Some poems made me laugh, some made my heart pound with Duffy's perfect selection of metaphor.

Carol Ann Duffy was named Britain's Poet Laureate in 2009, the first woman, first Scot and first openly gay person to hold the position. Her words are literally perfect. She knows love and has suc
Andy  Stamp
Aug 21, 2013 rated it liked it
My poetry choice for #readingrewards 2013 was Love Poems by Carol Ann Duffy.
After hearing and reading many positive reviews about the poet I thought I would try this short collection of love poems.
Containing over 30 poems, Duffy symbolises many high emotions when talking about love, betrayal, affairs, adultery, sex etc. and the majority are very imaginative, dramatic and bring you into the picture she is painting.
After a while however there is a familiarity seeping in with little alteration to t
Weronika
Rating: 3/5 stars
As expected with a pretty short poetry collection, I finished this in one sitting. Duffy's poetry is very dramatic and can be read in a quick manner due to its accessibility for all types of readers. Having finished the 'World's end' collection as part of my English Literature class two years ago, I was already familiar with her style, and could even imagine her reading it following my meeting with her during a festival (of which I received this collection!), but despite my fa
Chrystyna
Love Poems by Carol Ann Duffy - Good

After reading the Bronte sisters poetry last year, I thought I should try and include more poetry in my regular reading and this time I wanted something more modern.

I'm still in two minds. I liked these poems, they were easy to read and understand, but I missed the rhythm of more traditional poetry. On the other hand, I found some of the subject matter of the Brontes' to be a little too worthy or maudlin and quite often lost the thread of what they were about,
Emily
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
I was disappointed that these were a collection of poems gathered from across her works and put together, rather than a collection she had written to be in the same book; they didn't have the same unity intentional collections can have, which is what I was expecting.

After reading I think a better name would have been "heartbreak poems" or "breakup poems". Some good writing -I thought To the Unknown Lover and The Darling Letters were both especially good as poetry - but they hurt my heart too muc
Swati
Nov 16, 2017 rated it liked it
This is the first poetry book I've ever read...

Since this is a collection of love poems from other collections, I felt like it was a bit disjointed while reading it.

The wording is really dramatic and mysterious and I really enjoyed them. However I found her simpler poems more appealing.

I definitely found some favourite poems like "New Vows", "tea, "Anne Hathaway" and "Valentine" are some of them :)
Isabelle
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love how I used to 'hate' Carol Ann Duffy simply because we were forced to study her poetry from year 7 - at an age when we laughed at metaphors about love like an onion!

I read this and realised I have been missing out. This poetry is accessible but woven with beautiful imagery and it is written by someone who feels deeply and understands what it is to love.

I now want to read everything Carol has written...
Eilidh
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read some of Carol Ann Duffy's poetry about love when I was 16, and quite enjoyed it then. Now, a few years on, I enjoy it but have a greater understanding of it - which to me is the sign of good poetry. Her take on the many aspects of love is interesting and thought-provoking, and this collection is a good start for those unfamiliar with her work.
Amy Alice
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Poetry. This had some nice poems in, my favourite being Valentine, an exploration of why an onion is an excellent metaphor for love and why she is giving it as a gift on v day. However, it was selected poems on a theme from many collections so didn't quite have the "album feeling" of reading a curated, purposeful collection.
Jasmine Waters
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was 15 when I got the chance to see Carol Ann Duffy, and I always thought it was wasted on me at the time. In hindsight, it really wasn’t - the way she writes and is able to turn her hand to a story has stayed with me ever since.
Lucyrallen
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well I bought this book to specifically read today and it didn't not dissapoint me.
Laurie
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I most enjoyed: Correspondents, Warming Her Pearls, Deportation, Miles Away, Valentine, Close, Text, If I Was Dead, Tea and Leda.
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
A lovely collection of unique poetry. Some I didn’t gel with but the majority were wonderful and there are a few really special poems on here that I will go back too!
Fatou
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
every poem in this tiny book is amazing.
Emily G
I have been looking forward to reading Love Poems since I bought the collection four months ago, no doubt because of my high expectations from studying 'Hour' so intensely at secondary school. And mostly, it met my expectations.

Love Poems gets off to quite a weak start with the poems from Selling Manhattan failing to impress me at all, although my last foray into Duffy was with The World's Wife, so I'm not surprised my expectations weren't reached. It may just have been the fault of my own voice
Laala Kashef Alghata
Feb 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
“Till his name was no longer a certain spell
for his face. The last hair on his head
floated out from a book. His scent went from the house.
The will was read. See, he was vanishing
to the small zero held by the gold of my ring.” — Mrs Lazarus by Carol Ann Duffy

I’m never very eloquent went reviewing a collection of poetry. I’m good at talking about each poem separately, just not as a whole. Anyway, here it goes.

I love this anthology. It’s a collection of what are arguably Carol Ann Duffy’s most famo
Tom
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: england, english, poetry
Poetry has always liked escapism. Names like Wordsworth, Baudelaire, Rimbaud, Coleridge - they all followed the old Bond adage 'the world is not enough' in one way or another. Recently though, poetry has been trying to escape much more than just the world. The poets of today find themselves cornered, because, after all, what is the use of poetry nowadays? A re-invention of poetry, therefore, seems, if not necessary, mandatory.

This forced creative impulse sends a lot of poets down strange paths
Bee Halton
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I do not often rate a book with 5 stars but this one has really stirred and touched me.
The way she describes love in all its variations goes deep under your skin. Her poems create images in your mind and make you long for more. One I can relate to and there are not a lot of them. I do not think she writes the same way than Erich Fried but her poems had the same effect on me like his did.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Selten bewerte ich ein Buch mit 5 Sternen aber
Felicity Terry
OK, so its true to say that I prefer my poetry read to me rather than by me (no big secret to regular readers of Pen and Paper I know) and of all the poetry out there love poems are probably way up there as my least favourite. And then there's the fact that I don't generally rate Poet Laureate, Carol Ann Duffy's poetry BUT, taken as a whole, I actually found myself quite enjoying this collection - some poems more than others of course.

A collection from works already published. I'm guessing roman
Vicki
Feb 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
In Love Poems, you will find a selection of fabulous Duffy poems dealing with matters of the heart. The poems are collected from Selling Manhattan, The Other Country, Mean Time, The World's Wife, Feminine Gospels, Rapture and The Bees. A great mix and quite a few favourites. Duffy is a poet who I have always felt strongly about ever since I was introduced to her work, she can take a single action like making a cup of tea and understand the context, history and emotion behind that single action. ...more
Ellis
Carol Ann Duffy’s poetry remains a fave. Love Poems pulls from her previous collections, but also adds some previously uncollected poems. Sadly, it doesn’t include my favourites of The World's Wife and Feminine Gospels (though I still loooove the Delilah poem and how poignant it is in its simplicity), but I did think that, thematically speaking, this was a more varied collection than those two, while also being very consistent and coherent.
Marie Bland
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
"I like pouring your tea, lifting
the heavy pot, and tipping it up,
so the fragrant liquid steams in your china cup.

Or when you're away, or at work,
I like to think of your cupped hands as you sip,
as you sip, of the faint half-smile of your lips.

I like the questions - sugar? milk? -
and the answers I don't know by heart, yet,
for I see your soul in your eyes, and I forget.

Jasmine, Gunpowder, Assam, Earl Grey, Ceylon,
I love tea's names. Which tea would you like? I say,
but it's any tea, for you, please
Breige
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I don’t read a lot of poetry but I am familiar with Carol Ann Duffy’s name and it crops up every now and again especially when I watch Jen Campbell's YouTube channel. I already knew two of these poems, without remembering they were Duffy’s: one from Leaving Cert English and the other was Valentine, a poem my English teacher read out in 3rd year. This poetry collection isn’t full of sappy love poems. Yes, we get sweet, sentimental ones but Duffy also explores themes such as longing, adultry and l ...more
Emma Ferrier
2.5
I studied Carol Ann Duffy in high school and really enjoyed the six poems we were set. Unfortunately, I think I much prefer these types of poems when I'm analysing them and discussing them rather than just reading them. I still want to read more of her works (I have the Feminine Gospels collection already) and hopefully will enjoy those more!

• Kid
  • What Is Amazing
  • Voices In My Head
  • Rise of the Trust Fall
  • Of Mutability
Dame Carol Ann Duffy, DBE, FRSL is a Scottish poet and playwright. She is Professor of Contemporary Poetry at Manchester Metropolitan University, and was appointed Britain's Poet Laureate in May 2009.

She is the first woman, the first Scot, and the first openly LGBT person to hold the position.

Her collections include Standing Female Nude (1985), winner of a Scottish Arts Council Award; Selling Manh
“We will tire each other out, making our homes
in one another’s arms.”