Start by marking “C.S. Lewis: A Biography” as Want to Read:
C.S. Lewis: A Biography

C.S. Lewis: A Biography

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  295 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
This account of Lewis’s life was written by two men who knew him well and remember him warmly. Photographs from personal albums and the Lewis archives. Index.
Paperback, Revised, 320 pages
Published July 1st 1994 by Mariner Books (first published June 10th 1974)

To ask other readers questions about C.S. Lewis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about C.S. Lewis

Brian Robbins
Reading this after so long, and with more recent biographies of varying qualities in between, I was unclear what to expect when I was about to begin. Would it be like the joy of meeting a good friend after many years, or would it be a sore disappointment in the light of the more recent research I had read? I was delighted to find the former applied. This was a reunion with a best of friends.

Written by a close friend of Lewis & assisted by that master of the Lewis industry, Walter Hooper, it
Amanda
Oct 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-for-school
This biography made me fall in love with C.S. Lewis. He was such an amazing person.
Julie Reed
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography, c-s-lewis
I always know it's coming. I know he's going to die. I know how he's going to die. And, I'm always sad all over again reading about his last, happy days at The Kilns. After reading 6 biographies of his life, I know as much about this man as anyone could probably know these days aside from those who actually knew him personally. I don't know why I love him like I do. I just do. He lived a life I couldn't imagine living. He had a brain I couldn't imagine having. He was a sweet, jolly, brilliant ma ...more
Aggie Christine
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
A lovingly written biography by friends about a friend ... Love !
Jodynterry Gossner
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is just full of information about Lewis. He was a fascinating man who was very well read, but didn't own many books on his shelves, because once he read a book, he kept it in his head!
M.T. Sullivan
Apr 17, 2013 rated it liked it
I feel it only fair to preface my review with the fact that I went into reading the book knowing very little about the man or his work, other than the fact that he was a highly regarded novelist, whose work often had underlying Christian messages in the form of allegory. I had not read even one of his books, but simply admired the little I knew about the man and have similar aspirations/life goals for myself. Had I been more familiar with his works, I assume the book would have been at least som ...more
Emily
I really loved this book. I liked that it was written by a close friend and someone who knew him well. I appreciate the detail the author went into about Lewis's favorite books and authors and that it shared Lewis’s literary opinions. It's nice to know in great detail the people who influenced C.S. Lewis. I also liked the detail the author put into describing the writing process and timeline of the books that Lewis wrote himself and the motivations behind writing them. The author touched very ni ...more
Rachel Bishop
Sep 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a delight to read, though I admit I am a biased reader of this biography's subject.

It does what I most enjoy from biographies: it lifted the veil a bit on this great man. Filled with anecdotes and insights into what inspired Lewis's imagination, I feel sure this will thrill any Lewis reader.

As the book was divided into chapters devoted to certain parts of Lewis's life, the timeline can be a bit hard to follow, but I think it allowed the authors to fully flesh out those different areas.

I
Michael Bering Smith
One wonders why biographies never get easier to finish, yet one also wonders how one can shut a fifth work on Lewis, and not yet have found his life less stirring. What a man. No—what a world. A superb record from Hooper and Green. It's 433 pages? Worth the effort.

Yet for a first foray, read C. S. Lewis: A Life: Eccentric Genius, Reluctant Prophet.
Danielle Smith
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutley loved reading C.S. Lewis's biography. He is such an inspirational man and knowing his story just helps you to understand where all his stories come from. His life is so interesting to read about and I even cried when it talked about his death. I would definitley recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading any of his books. :)
Kate
I enjoyed reading about this great mans life, this particular biography for me was "too much information". I think literary Scholars would enjoy more than me the books he read and approved of. I however, am more interested in his actual life facts and found myself flicking through great amount of pages.
Ci
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Possibly the first biography of CSL by someone who knew him well in life. Although it paled by later scholars' work, this biography is still the work providing source materials for other later comers. The contents are largely fact-based with limited literary critiques on CSL major works (readers can be insatiable on commentaries of their favorite authors!).
Jossalyn
Jul 07, 2012 rated it liked it
didnt have a strong opinion about this author until I read this book- had read the Narnia books as a kid, but wasnt taken by them much. Read this bio after having read Tolkein's bio- now for me Lewis is done. hateful wanna-be.
Michael
This was a reasonably good depiction of the major events in C.S. Lewis's life. My complaint is that it didn't give me a good sense of who he was and what made him tick. I would like to see a more thorough and intimate biography of this great thinker.
Matthew Dambro
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this almost thirty years ago. I read it during a dark stretch of my life after reading Lewis' Mere Christianity. I remember the intense relief and sense of peace that came over me. I saw Hope in the distance and I knew I could survive. I have been reading Lewis ever since then.
booklady
An insightful introduction written by former student and lifelong friend, Green and Hooper, Lewis' companion-secretary for the last nine years of his life.
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
A really wonderful book and full of delightful little tidbits. Written more like a story!
EveMoon
Nov 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I usually find biographies boring but this was surprisingly entertaining.
Steve
This biography covers the field pretty well, but George Sayer's biography "Jack" makes better reading.
Kelly Belvis
May 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
I admire C.S. Lewis so much that I have read several biographies of him. I have enjoyed each one and felt that each biographer adds another dimension to the rich personality of this beloved author.
Diana Glyer
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An early biography of Lewis, this has the charm of reporting events without layers (and years) of interpretation.
Swantje
Jul 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
I don't have the revised edition, it's the original (mine is from 1976), but this one was the closed available edition to choose from.
John
Jun 22, 2013 rated it did not like it
not interested should have stayed in the wardrobe
Dbjames
Jul 12, 2012
Christopher
Dec 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Collected Letters of C.S. Lewis, Volume 3: Narnia, Cambridge, and Joy, 1950 - 1963
  • Surprised by Laughter: The Comic World of C.S. Lewis
  • C.S. Lewis: A Biography
  • Lenten Lands: My Childhood with Joy Davidman and C.S. Lewis
  • Jack: A Life of C.S. Lewis
  • The Inklings of Oxford: C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, and their Friends
  • C. S. Lewis: A Life: Eccentric Genius, Reluctant Prophet
  • From the Library of C. S. Lewis: Selections from Writers Who Influenced His Spiritual Journey (Writers' Palette Book)
  • The Old Testament (Great Courses, #653)
  • Milestones: Memoirs 1927-1977
  • Teresa of Ávila: An Extraordinary Life
  • How to Win the Culture War: A Christian Battle Plan for a Society in Crisis
  • Why Catholics are Right
  • Catherine of Siena
  • Poustinia: Encountering God in Silence, Solitude and Prayer (Madonna House Classics Vol.1)
  • The Company They Keep: C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien as Writers in Community
  • 7 Secrets of Confession
Roger (Gilbert) Lancelyn Green was a British biographer and children's writer. He was an Oxford academic who formed part of the Inklings literary discussion group along with C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien. Born in 1918 in Norwich, England, Green studied under C. S. Lewis at Merton College, Oxford, where he obtained a B.Litt. degree. He delivered the 1968 Andrew Lang lecture. Green lived in Cheshire ...more
More about Roger Lancelyn Green...