Start by marking “Rockin' the Bronx” as Want to Read:
Rockin' the Bronx

Rockin' the Bronx

On a rash quest to track down his girlfriend Mary, nave Irishman Sean Kelly becomes embroiled in the hellish wasteland of the 1980s Bronx. He stays on, determined to uncover the reason behind the sudden change in Mary. But the only job available for an undocumented Paddy is hard labor, and the only solace is found in beer and music. They brought it all with them from Irela ...more
Published February 1st 2010 by Brandon Books

To ask other readers questions about Rockin' the Bronx, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rockin' the Bronx

Janellyn51
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed Larry's book for a variety of reasons. One being, in 1980, I met a whacked bass player who was playing in a band in Boston, while also playing with an Irish band in NYC, the Major Thinkers. Larry and Pierce Turner's band. My soon to be husband and I sublet Larry's East Village Apartment, and I spent a fair amount of time going to gigs, and living among Larry's things, his music, his words. I like Larry a lot, and am impressed with where his Irishness has taken him, his writing and Blac ...more
Lavender
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I liked the fast pace of this book. The characters were written in a compelling way. As the story unfolded, you were never quite sure which way it was going to go.
Diana
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
Larry Kirwan is a wonderful Irish musician, author, performance artist who lives in NYC. Kirwan is the heart of the Irish rock group Black 47. His music is powerful, usually political and quite addictive. He's a great guy. But I just couldn't get into his novels. Perhaps it's a cultural thing...even though this book is set in the U.S. the lingo and cultural references were just too hard to for me to "get".
Patrick
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
I love the music of Black 47 and lots of things that Larry Kirwan does but this book never quiet worked for me. Too many adjectives and too much energy but not enough on the plot. I kept wanting to shout at him to slow down.
Jeanie Chung
Oct 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
If Roddy Doyle wrote a book for the musical "Rent," it would come out a little like this. If that sounds like a criticism, it's not.
R
Sep 11, 2010 rated it did not like it
Love the band (Black 47) but only like the book. At best. It did have the same lyrical, poetic, madness feel as the band, which I liked, but ultimately there are better authors.
Colleen Flaherty
Megan
Sep 12, 2014
Mary Beth
Apr 09, 2016
Larry Kirwan (born 1948 in Wexford, Ireland) is an expatriate Irish writer and musician, most noted as the lead singer for the New York based Irish rock band, Black 47.

Prior to Black 47, Kirwan and fellow Wexfordian Pierce Turner led the new wave band Major Thinkers, based in New York City.

Kirwan has also written and produced several plays which have been performed in the U