Start by marking “Deadline (Ollie Chandler #1)” as Want to Read:
Deadline (Ollie Chandler #1)

Deadline (Ollie Chandler #1)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  5,906 Ratings  ·  326 Reviews
Deadline is the story of a politically correct journalist forced by tragic and mysterious circumstances to come to terms with his own mortality. In the process he must also deal with the consequences of his skewed perspectives on life, family, morality, and religion. Intended for believers and unbelievers.

It portrays friendship, family, faith, morality, social decline and
Published August 19th 2009 by Multnomah (first published June 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Deadline, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadline

Becki
Feb 07, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2011
If I could give this book less than one star, I would. It was so long and tedious, I thought I was never going to get through it. It most definitely could have been cut in half and still retained the important parts of the story.

Also, the author has some strong views, most of which I do not disagree with, but he seems to have written the story around them instead of letting them fall naturally into place. The whole story seems to be contrived to get his theology across. Yes, I get it: the media
Brian K.
Alcorn hit another one out of the park!

In this thriller you follow the investigative skills of a journalist as he tries to uncover who killed his two best friends. Friends who were as different as night and day. Friends who had secrets that Jake, the main character, knew nothing of. Even after serving in Vietnam with both of his friends and being best men at one anothers weddings, and raising children all in the same small town they grew up together in.

Follow the mystery and intrigue as Jake is
Annette
Oct 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been years since I read this book from Alcorn (who coincidentally happens to be a pastor in my home town), but I remember it with great fondness as an excellent page turner with good, solid theology behind the action. The sequel "Dominion" is also excellent.
Dec 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When journalist Jake Woods loses his two best friends in a car accident, he works to uncover the truth about what happened the night and finds it was no accident. What he finds goes beyond a simple murder into a all-out war against Christian beliefs through mainstream media and the price that is put on a human life. Will Jake be able to solve the mystery before the final deadline?

This book had a lot of potential. The characters are well-developed and likable. The action is intense at the end. Ho
Ed
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first time I read any of Randy Alcorn novels. I read many of the reviews by other Goodreads readers and was amazed of how many gave bad reviews and how many gave great reviews. I was not disappointed. It was a great book covering heaven, abortion clinics, liberalism, and fundamentalism. I highly recommend this novel to Christians and those who think they are Christians and are not.
Christine
Jun 15, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A neighbor gave this book and the second one to me to read. It's been a little hard to get into. It's similiar to the Frank Pereti books.

Ok I give up I just can't finish this one. Seemed very contrived and while I didn't disagree necessarily with the points he was trying to make, there's only so much preaching one can handle while reading fiction.
Grampy
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First in a series of three by Randy Alcorn, "Dominion" and "Deception" being the other two, I highly recommend reading all three. Randy is a writer of Christian literature, but for those of you who may be turned off by the label "Christian literature", this series of three books will entertain you as suspenseful thrillers on their own merit. The Christian aspect is present, but subtle, and will not interfere with your enjoyment of three good thrillers. Randy does not write his fiction with an "i ...more
Pat
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the best book I've ever read in my life. I laughed and I cried and I missed my mom.
Vera Godley
Dec 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The primary character, Jake, works for a large city newspaper as a liberal columnist. Jake is involved in a automobile accident that takes the lives of his two best friends who have been his friends since childhood. Soon after the accident when Jake awakens to realize he is the sole survivor, the mystery begins. Being the journalist he is, he digs, probes, and leaves no stone unturned. He soon realizes that there is more involved that a simple accident.

Moving into unchartered waters for himself,
Donna
Nov 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a horrible, tragic accident and yet Jake can't let it go. How did he survive? The mysterious circumstances encourage him to look further, so he works with Ollie Chandler to find the truth. Will Jake survive long enough?

When an accident leaves you but takes others, it can leave you depressed and feeling broken.That happened to Jake one night, but there are some odd things, some things that don't seem to fit. Was it really simply an accident, or was there more to it? Unable to answer the qu
Jan (Husband, Dante) Zanoni
This author not only believes that life doesn't stop at death; he let's us peek into heaven in order to see what those who have died are experiencing there. Each of his characters, both those in heaven and those on earth, have distinctly different personalities. I love that they are so down to earth, with unique strengths and weaknesses mixed into each person. Watching them interact in all the twists and turns of imperfect relationships, is as satisfying as discovering the well-developed myster ...more
John
I got this from Audible several years ago, and recently re-listened to it. I really liked it. This is an explicitly Christian book, and not in any way, shape or form subtle about it. That said, I think the bluntness of it makes it work. This is the story of a man finding Christ, and the mystery/action are just details of that story.
Elizabeth Prata
First published in 1994 and re-released in 2009, I'd bought this book on sale for my Kindle.

Deadline starts well with a fast-paced scenes setting the foundation of three men's life-long friendship, all of whom figure prominently in the book, though reporter Jake Woods is the central character. The other two characters are Doc (Gregory) and Finney. As we learn of each man's background, Alcorn also does well describing the scenes where Woods served in Viet Nam, getting inside the head of a soldier
Stacy
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Gimme more action and less persuasion. It's not that I don't believe you could do both, but I found myself wanting to skip ahead so I could see 'whodunit'. In my own opinion, this book just had too many split personalities. I enjoyed the concept of a liberal journalist coming to terms with his one-sided writing, his hypocrisy and even morality! I wish more would! But is this a book about converting the liberals, or is it a book about coming to terms with death, or maybe solving a murder, or expl ...more
Hannah Jayne
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was quite brilliant.
Also, so boring.

I struggled through the first thee hundred or so pages—but everything after that was pretty great!
It was very in depth. Which bothered me at first because it seemed pointlessly so, but the ending tied together a lot more than I thought it would.
Delayed gratification.
Very delayed.
(Probably could have been less delayed? Such a small font... so many pages... writing not quite exciting enough for you to actually want as many words as there were... oh well)

I
Rachel N
Jan 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
A page-turner. Set in an Oregon city, the life of a cynical journalist takes a drastic turn when he finds himself consumed with finding out who murdered his two best buddies. Soul-searching, the power of prayer and glimpses of heaven. Mafia conspiracy, abortion activism and medical field corruption. Deadline will not only keep you turning the pages, but will open your eyes and challenge your thinking.
Barb
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is more than likely the best book I have ever read. I am a reader and this book "knocked my socks off".

The book is a murder mystery with a spiritual side. Looking forward to reading more Randy Alcorn books.
Jim Hasson
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, Christian or not, one of the best books Ive ever read. The views on the afterlife are astonishingly original and believable. Not to mention a taut, page turner.
Jacqueline
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deadline- Great read.

It took a while to get into this book, not because it was not good, but I had just finished another book set in a different time period and had to come back to the 20th century. Outstanding, once I made the transition back to the 20th century, I could not put it down. Now I have to read the other two books in this trilogy.
Chris Golden
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thought provoking!

I have been saved many years. I haven't always put Jesus first. That has harmed my family. I've been learning that love that isn't based on the Truth has consequences. Not favorable ones. This book confirms what I'm learning. This book also shows how far our society has come from living by moral standards. It's an excellent read
Linda
Powerful book regarding living life day to day and consequences of how we will spend eternity. There were times when I struggled to get through a particular section. Times when I felt the author was too "wordy" and I became bogged down. However, the last third of the book was very good.
Ben
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Randy Alcorn is een begaafd, Christelijk schrijver. Ik hou van boeken die mijn standpunten uitdagen. Deadline schrijft over pro-life en seksuele onthouding. De vraag hoe jouw In Memoriam er uit zou zien, is een vraag die me een verontrust gevoel geeft. Ben ik wel Goed bezig?
Eric Black
Sep 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I read this as a very young adult and enjoyed it when I read it. The story telling is gripping. While I don't know that I can go all the way with the theology, I will say that Alcorn's thoughts on heaven are very intriguing.
Jill
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a good book. A little slow at first but then picks up.
Judy
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the mystery, various points of view and the thought provoking issues raised in the course of the story.
Faith
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deadline is a gripping page turner.
Three best friends from boyhood through their days in the war are caught in a car accident on a rainy day in Oregon as they drive home from a pizza shop: a Christian businessman, Finn, an adulterous relativist, Doc, who is head of surgery at the local clinic, and a secular liberal journalist, Jake.
The only one who survives is Jake, the journalist.
The accident was murder, however. The tie rods in the car were cut. Someone was being targeted.

Was it Finn, who
Jonathan Z.
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book, but it took me awhile to read. I do a lot of reading before I sleep and this book worked me up too much too sleep.
Dmack
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-christian, family
An excellent; story; I give the book closer to a 5 than a 4 as it made me think and feel wonderful and new about a great many things especially specific aspects of The Word; the story was good as well but sometimes felt liked it digressed just a bit at times;, loved the examples of the families and how they interacted; both in Heaven and on earth; was probably my favorite part actually;
Jody
Dec 06, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

From The Back Cover

Heart-Pounding Murder Mystery

Involved in a tragic accident under suspicious circumstances, award-winning journalist Jake Woods teams with detective Ollie Chandler to uncover the truth. This alluring repackage of the R andy Alcorn bestseller finds Jake drawing upon all his resources in an ever-intensifying, dangerous murder investigation. Unaware of the imminent threat to his own life, Jake struggles for answers to the mystery at hand and is plunged into a deeper search fo
Gloria
May 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm really unsure how I feel about this book. Probably because my mind and knowledge at the age of 12 when I first read it (I think it was 12) and 28 (when I am now), is different in certain aspects, not so much in others. The book was copywritten in 1994, so I read it about three years after it was published.

The book follows Jake, a columnist. His columns have supported leftist opinions and leftist programs for most of his writing career. One afternoon, during the regular football watching get-
  • The Veritas Conflict
  • Riven
  • The List
  • Heaven's Wager (Martyr's Song, #1)
  • Dead of Night (Hidden Faces Series, #3)
  • Shoofly Pie (Bug Man, #1)
  • Deadfall (John Hutchinson, #1)
  • Cape Refuge (Cape Refuge, #1)
  • Dead Heat (The Last Jihad, #5)
  • Waking Lazarus
  • False Witness
  • Scream
  • The Great Divide
  • Book of Days
Randy Alcorn is the founder of Eternal Perspective Ministries (EPM), a nonprofit organization dedicated to teaching biblical truth and drawing attention to the needy and how to help them. EPM exists to meet the needs of the unreached, unfed, unborn, uneducated, unreconciled and unsupported people around the world.

"My ministry focus is communicating the strategic importance of using our earthly tim
More about Randy Alcorn...

Ollie Chandler (4 books)
  • Dominion (Ollie Chandler #2)
  • Deception (Ollie Chandler #3)
  • Ollie Chandler Collection: Three Novels: Deadline, Dominion, Deception

“Am I getting braver, or just getting accustomed to being terrified?” 17 likes
“Good for you Woods. You're not as dumb as you look. Come to think of it, no one's as dumb as you look.” 4 likes