Start by marking “Square Cat” as Want to Read:
Square Cat

Square Cat

Eula is the only square cat in town—and she doesn’t think there’s anything hip about it. Everything that normal cats do is hard for her: She can’t get her square paw into mouse holes, she can’t wear her favorite circle skirt, and all of her friends are round! Eula is sad until her two best friends show her just how well a square cat can fit into a round world. Debut author
Published January 4th 2011 by Aladdin

To ask other readers questions about Square Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Square Cat

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
More than just a story about being different, this is also a sweet story of true friendship. Eula is a square cat when everyone around her, including her two friends Patsy and Maude, are round. Eula's self-esteem is low, as she doesn't seem to fit in and can only see the negative aspects of being square. However, her friends show their genuine love for their friend first, by trying to make her feel round, and then by trying to look like her so that she'll fit in, by showing her positive things a ...more
Patty
Dec 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-book
I feel like Square Cat much of the time. I love her friends :).
Shazzer
Mar 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
As posted on Outside of a Dog

I know I probably write a lot about my cat, but it's hard not to do so. She's small and adorable, and I love her. I'm a cat person, through and through. There just happen to be several new cat books out lately that I've had opportunity to view (Won Ton, Cat Secrets, etc). So when Square Cat, by Elizabeth Schoonmaker, finally crossed my desk, you can only imagine the little thrill of delight that rushed through me. I've been looking forward to this book ever since rea
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Apr 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
I really like the idea of the book- a theme of individuality and accepting your personal differences and learning to love yourself but the way the book came off left me disappointed. First, I don't quite get where the name Eula is coming from (end user license agreement?), especially as the other two cats have mundane names- Patsy and Maude. The best line in the book is certainly the one about mouse holes- "they are impossible for all cats, round or square," although I can't really figure out wh ...more
Kimberly
May 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! Eula was so darn cute, especially when she tipped over. The book encourages kids to embrace their differences AND to be kind to other people who are different. Eula has some pretty amazing friends in Patsy and Maude. Really, really a nice book.
The Styling Librarian
Square Cat by Elizabeth Schoonmaker - friends not only accept you for who you are but sometimes can make you feel special and accepted. Loved how square cat was upset until friends helped find a solution. Quite special book. Simple yet perfect illustrations as well!
Lucia
Mar 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Square cat just wants to be like all his cool round friends. His friends turn out to be very cool, indeed. We all need round friends like Maude and Patsy.
Erin Creasy
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the message of this book! “Square Cat” tells the story of Eula, a square cat living in a round world. She doesn’t feel like she fits in and longs to be round like her friends Maude and Patsy. With a little help from her friends, Eula learns that being square isn’t so bad after all. I loved that Patsy and Maude ended up putting on boxes to be square just like Eula and show her that being square was awesome. This is a story of friendship and compassion. Eula’s friends show her all ...more
Savannah Bakker
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! The story follows a cat named Eula, who is a square cat in a world full of round cats. Square Cat reveals the importance of embracing what makes one unique. The story also goes through the journey of friendship; Eula’s friends go out of their way to accept Her and show her all of the wonderful parts of being a square-shaped cat.
Zoraida Rivera Morales
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book about self-acceptance and friendship. When Eula, a square cat, doesn't fit in, her friends instead of trying to eliminate differences, help her see the beauty in being herself. A great way to learn about shapes, too.
Brooke Sherrow
Good way to talk about embracing our uniqueness
Samantha
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picturebooks
Cute enough. Some of the illustrations were not my favorite. I did like the solidarity at the end.
Brittany
Oct 07, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was funny and ridiculous. We enjoyed it. It wasn't what I'd call memorable or anything but still fun to read once. The illustrations were also middle of the road.
Miss Sarah
Mar 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Eula the square cat longs to be round just like her friends and laments on all the bad things about being square. Loved the friendship theme and the clear shape lessons. Toddler and up.
Sheila Moran
What a fun story! Square Cat sure has some challenges -- ones that Round Cats don't have. We liked the clever, funny ending.
April Thompson
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it
It's hip to be square.
Alex Swink
This book is a great example of loving yourself and including others. The book starts with the square car wishing he was like other cats but then transitions to his friends wearing boxes to make him feel comfortable the way he is.
Viviane Elbee
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Square cat's message is to appreciate yourself, even if you're different.

Some pages were funny, and I liked the artwork on some pages.

There were a few pages with just a plain drawing of Eula the square cat and I didn't like that as much - I preferred the pages where there's more than just the cat.
Kaitlyn Craig
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I like how this book turned something sad into something good! I love how the two characters adapted to what the square cat was going through, making it so that all three could experience the same thing. The moral is that you may need to adapt or change some things in order to be friends with others around you!
Anna
Feb 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Title: Square Cat by Elizabeth Schoomaker
Summary: Eula, a square cat, thinks life would be better as a round cat until two friends show her otherwise.
Age: 3-5 years
Rating: Maybe
Pros:
The idea of a square cat is different and interesting; and the book’s message of self-love is an important one for children.
Eula’s friends find a way to cheer her up that is both charming and brilliant, it truly made me laugh out loud.
Cons:
For me, the text was more alive than the illustrations—which is a real sh
Sarah Sammis
Jun 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sarah by: Brimful Curiosities
Square Cat by Elizabeth Schoonmaker is about Eula, a square cat, who has lost her purr. She has two dear friends, Patsy and Maude, who will do anything they can to cheer her up.

First Schoonmaker outlines all the difficulties Eula has at being a square cat. The biggest one is that she can't get up when she falls over. Patsy and Maude try a number of fashion changes. While Eula might not like them, Harriet and I thought she looked smashing.

But true friends keep trying and ultimately they hit on th
Kyle Turck
Mar 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Square Cat has a great message of accepting yourself for what you are and finding the positives in yourself instead of focusing on the negatives or what you don't have, but the book to me had a very generic feel aside from that. There were some interesting moments in the story and the illustrations were a bit humorous throughout, but overall it didn't stand out to me as an amazing must-read story. The story itself is all about Eula the square cat who can't do the same things that her round cat f ...more
Diane
Apr 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: a-favorite-read
Eula is a "square cat" living in a world where everything seems to be round. She just does not seem to fit in, and this makes her sad. So sad that she even lost her purr.

Mouse holes seems impossible for a square cat, stripes didn't seem to suit her, and she seemed invisible around all the square buildings in her city.

Her friends Patsy and Maude were big, round cats. Like any good friend would do, they tried to cheer Eula up. They gave her big round hoop earrings, a beehive hat, and they even sli
Trisha Daniel
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
First off I love cats. I love cats so much that my friends call me the crazy cat which I except with whole heartedly. So when I came across this book on the shelf I knew it was a book I had to read.

I have a cat is some what like Eula. His name is Jasper, he is kind of like a real life Garfield. He is orange and very large. Much like Eula, Jasper has a hard time doing things because of his size but also like Eula he finds the good in being himself. He has never lost his purr and I was happy to s
Nancy Jo Lambert
Apr 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Square Cat is not round like his friends. He is feeling quite down about this. Throughout the opening pages, we see how his being round is affecting him, and the illustrations do a fabulous job of keeping the mood of this book light and humorous despite the downheartedness of the Square Cat.

Square Cat's round friends coem to her and help her by putting on square boxes, then together Square Cat and her friends find the joy that can be found in being different. My favorite part is the last page!

Th
Dolly
Nov 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2011, art
This is a sweet, but strange story about celebrating our uniqueness and our differences. The story centers on a square cat named Eula in a world full of round cats. She rues the fact that she cannot do or wear the same things as her friends. Her friends try to make Eula more like them, with little success. So then they help her to see the similarities they share and the benefits of her own shape. I'm not sure if children will appreciate the message, but our girls thought it was silly that the sq ...more
Melle
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: friends of depressed people; fans of modern art
Not a bad story but kind of filled with extraneous details that didn't move the story along, other than accounting for Eula the Square Cat's depression. Her round cat friends, Patsy and Maude, were sweet to cheer her up but they went over and beyond, which I suppose is a good lesson for friends supporting depressed friends, but still . . . Cute-bordering-on-creepy illustrations (I can't tell what detail is creeping me out -- the friends' eyes or noses, Eula's lack of a nose, or everything in com ...more
Rachel
Mar 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
I have been wanting to read this one for awhile as it looked so adorable and got the chance as my local county library system is doing a Mock Caldecott award discussion and this was one of the nominees. I liked that the cat's name was Eula as that was my grandmother's name (who recently passed away), plus the illustrations were simple but fantastic and it held my 5 month old son's attention as well.

This book is very cute story about a square cat named Eula who doesn't fit in, even though she tr
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
It’s hard being a square cat in a round cat world. Eula doesn’t like being a square cat. The worst part was when she tipped over, it was hard to get back up. Her friends show her all the advantages of being square, but still the hardest part was when she tipped over, it was hard to get back up. Not so bad when your friends get into boxes and become square, too, and tip over with you and lay on your backs and gaze into the blue sky.

“Eula was unhappy as a square cat.
So unhappy that she lost her pu
Bridget R. Wilson
Life as a square cat isn't easy. Eula tips over, can't wear skirts, and mouse holes are beyond her. Eula becomes so dissatisfied with her life that she looses her purr. Her round cat friends Patsy and Maude step in to cheer Eula up and show her that life as a square cat can be quite enjoyable.

What I thought: I really liked this story. The concept is great, the text is simple, and the illustrations are appealing. Square Cat has the makings of a perfect story time book. It teaches a great lessons
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Scrawny Cat
  • Argus
  • Blue Chameleon
  • Black Cat, White Cat
  • Do You Know Which Ones Will Grow?
  • Except If