Start by marking “The Taking Tree: A Selfish Parody” as Want to Read:
The Taking Tree: A Selfish Parody

The Taking Tree: A Selfish Parody

We all know the story of the "selfless" tree that gave all she had just to make sure a young boy was "happy."

Snore. This is a different tree. This is a different boy. This is a very different book.

The Taking Tree is not so happy when the boy takes her twigs to pick on his sister, or takes her apples to sell for college (she's an oak tree for goodness sake), or when he cuts
Published October 19th 2010 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Taking Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Taking Tree

karen
Oct 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-laughter
so i was waiting until the gods of media mail delivered david's (yes, belated) birthday copy of this book to him before i wrote my own review. i know my reviews are a secret joy to him, and i didn't want his view of the book to be tainted by my keen critical eye. i also figured it was his duty to review it first.

you see, david's review of the giving tree is quite legendary, don't you know? like, golden age legendary. much like the aurora borealis, it can only be seen on certain nights, when the
Foad
همه ما داستان اون درخت "فداكار" رو خونديم كه هر چى داشت رو داد تا فقط پسر جوان "شاد" باشه.
ولى اين درخت از اون درخت هاش نيست! اين پسر هم يكى ديگه است. كتاب رو اشتباه به جا آورديد.

"درخت گيرنده" خيلى خوشحال نميشه وقتى پسر شاخه هاش رو مى شكنه تا خواهرش رو اذيت كنه، يا سيب هاش رو مى چينه تا خرج دانشگاشو بده (بدبخت اصلاً درخت بلوطه!) يا وقتى شاخه هاش رو قطع مى كنه كه خونه بسازه. پسر هم اصلا و ابدا پشيمون نيست. در حقيقت، يه عوضى به تمام معناست. و مدام مى خواد، و باز مى خواد و باز مى خواد، تا اين كه در
Mark
At present my reading has slowed down ever so slightly as i foolishly began to watch the box set of 'The Wire' and am fast becoming addicted. However i am trying to restrain myself and just watch a couple of episodes at a time. I find I am using the remote a good deal as I pause and rewind to try to fathom what on Gods own earth half of the characters are saying.

If this tree had a role in the series she would, as I note americans like to say, kick ass; whether on the side of the cops or the dru
Ladan
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
It is indeed so funny and reading it right after "the giving tree" was much more fun.
بعد از "درخت بخشنده" خوندنش دلتون رو خنک میکنه :)))
Lisa Vegan
Oct 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: adults who intensely dislike, or at least don’t like, the classic book The Giving Tree
This quirky parody book went from really entertaining for me, a reader who hates The Giving Tree (http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...) with a passion, to okay maybe this is too topical, dark, dumb, black, with perhaps unwarranted or misplaced bias, etc. to the last pages and especially the last page, which was brilliant and to which I say touché! Touché particularly as regards to me, someone who hates the original book but who has a good 10,000 books in her apartment.

This picture book has a
Nick
Feb 09, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
While I am not a huge fan of The Giving Tree, and thought that it was one of Silverstein's lesser books in many ways, I cannot in good conscience support such a primitive and mean-spirited parody as this. The final straw was the "author notes" parodying Silverstein's life and career. Shel Silverstein was a very creative man in a variety of fields. The person who wrote this parody isn't, based on the results here.
There are adults and children who will find this book to be funny, mostly those who
Abigail
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Who Hate 'The Giving Tree'
Shelves: picture-books, satire
Once upon a time there was a little jerk of a kid who spent his days underneath an oak tree. After one too many bad deeds - throwing acorns at old people, setting fires with the tree's leaves - the kid is carted off (to juvie, one assumes), and the tree is happy. Good things never last, however, and soon the kid is back, now wanting to go to college (which seems questionable, but let's not quibble). Demanding some apples, the kid is met with incredulous denial: "I'm an oak tree. I can't grow app ...more
Amara Tanith
Let me start with an anecdote.

When I was a junior in high school, I took a Creative Writing class with a friend of mine. Toward the end of the year, the douchebag teacher assigned us a project; we were each to choose a favorite author and one of his or her books to do a short presentation on. (What that has to do with Creative Writing, I don't know. It seems like our time would have been better suited to, you know, writing.) A sophomore acquaintance in the class chose to do her presentation on T
Sari
Dec 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The Giving Tree has creeped me out my entire life. I found The Taking Tree at the library while I was browsing with my four year old and was glad there wasn't anyone else around because I laughed my head off! Not sure it should have been in picture books, but it was a terrific book, I loved it!
Yapha
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-books
NOT FOR KIDS! Absolutely hilarious. You need to read it. Especially if you don't like the messages in The Giving Tree.
Brixton
Jan 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
For those who loved The Giving Tree, do not fear. As with most parody, this will only be "funny" for a short period of time; there is much in here that, if it isn't already (and I say it is), will become dated very quickly (eg, a reference to the US 2008 election).

It seems to be a trend nowadays to trash Shel Silverstein's classic children's book (hence we just so happen to now have The Taking Tree, to squeeze a few bucks out of that, no doubt). I have the impression it's more cool to assume ki
Matthew
Apr 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Thank goodness someone finally got around to taking The Giving Tree down a peg or two. I can't remember a book that has been so widely loved and so severely misread in the history of literature. Everyone loves the fact that this boy takes and takes and takes some more and the tree so graciously, so lovingly, so unthinkingly just gives every last piece of itself to the boy to give him a little happiness. Who taught the boy the value of respect for others? No one. And yet everyone I ask is just in ...more
Kathrina
Oct 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Oh my god, I love this book. With all due respect, I also love Silverstein, but mostly because he can be so cynical and cantankerous but still appeal to a children's sensibilities. But here we have a cynical take on one of Silverstein's more sentimental works, and I just can't get enough of it. Tree, I feel your pain. Tucker Max fans, get the f*ck out of my bookstore. But buy this first.
Melody
Feb 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Darsa
Really, really funny. Especially if you, like me, hate The Giving Tree with all your heart.

It's a one-trick-pony, this book, and it only exists to mock Uncle Shelby. The end is brilliant. The illustrations are adequate but not stellar.

Worth reading if you're a cranky old curmudgeon.
Emily
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, humor
"He told the tree, 'I want to go away to college, but I have no money to pay for it. Will you give me your apples?'
The tree said, 'I'm an oak tree. I can't grow apples. When have you ever seen me grow apples?' ... 'Is there even a college that takes apples as tuition?' asked the tree."
Michael
Dec 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, picture-books
Okay, even if you love The Giving Tree, admit it. That selfish, snot-nosed kid really ticks you off. Gimme this, gimme that. I want apples, I want wood, la la la. Don't you sometimes just wish that tree would...
Beyond the Pages
The TakingTree is a parody, but I must say that I didn't like it one little bit. Not a bit! The story was ridiculous and horrible. The end.
Elizabeth S
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Do not read this to your children. Or at least read it first to decide if your children would appreciate it or not. Really, if you do not know The Giving Tree and if you do not find it dumb, you are not likely to understand or enjoy The Taking Tree. For people who detest The Giving Tree, this book may fill your soul with joy as you see the universe moving back into balance.

And by the way, does anyone know who really wrote this? Somehow it seems to stretch credulity that a macabre parody book of
Marga
Nov 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No. No one in a million years.
Originally posted at WorthlessWords.

Before I start my review I want to inform you of important stuff to understand why I disliked this book.

I read Children's books for two reasons; (1) for my future students when I graduate from college and become a teacher and (2) because I'm a child-at-heart and I love the lessons I learn from them.

And... I LOVE The Giving Tree. LOVE.

I read this out of curiosity. I saw it while browsing for Children's books or books in general to read at a bookstore near schoo
Arminzerella
Stacy
Sep 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I detest The Giving Tree so much so that I refuse to read it to my sons: I could not stand to have my boys exposed to the possibility of being such selfish a**holes as to use a girl and not even any remorse at all (why did the tree have to be female anyway?). So when I heard there was a parody book that finally gave some hutzpah to the tree, I ordered it immediately. And while it's not a Disney-fied, rainbow, & unicorn version by any means, at least it's more honest about how the tree should ...more
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
That was hilarious, if not rather meanspirited XD. I have major issues with the Giving Tree, so the snarky humor in this parody was awesome. The tone definitely reads more adult--I wouldn't read this to kids.
Catherine
Feb 24, 2012 rated it liked it
For anyone who is bothered by the greedy kid in The Giving Tree, this book is for you. I laughed out loud at parts of it.
Leah Parker
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I hated the Giving Tree. This is much better! lol
Ed Ashford
Nov 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Something about this book didn't sit right with me. I feel like the author missed the point of the original. I mean, I know it's a parody, but I didn't find myself laughing at this, really. It was just sad and frustrating.
June
Dec 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book is labeled for children, BUT I recommend that parents read this first then decide. I would not want to explain this parody since the main character "child" has had a lifetime harming the tree. Terrible book for children.
Pug Cake
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked that the tree hated the kid. But it was sad... even though the kid died, the tree died too. Not fair!
Ale
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A really endearing, cute, and quick read.
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
YOU MUST READ THIS BOOK. Hilarious.
Jeremy
Ha. Parody based on The Giving Tree. The title is a misnomer—the tree isn't a jerk, just more persecuted (and finally gets fed up(view spoiler)). Dark humor. (view spoiler)
  • Ten Little Zombies
  • That's Not Your Mommy Anymore: A Zombie Tale
  • The Worm
  • Foxy and Egg
  • Zorro Gets an Outfit
  • How to Traumatize Your Children: 7 Proven Methods to Help You Screw Up Your Kids Deliberately and with Skill
  • The Night Dad Went to Jail: What to Expect When Someone You Love Goes to Jail