Start by marking “Nighttime Symphony” as Want to Read:
Nighttime Symphony

Nighttime Symphony

As a child readies for bed, the sounds of his family echo around him, soothing him to sleep. The steady beat of cars passing on the street outside and raindrops falling onto the roof above punctuate a rhythm created by the shouts of uncles over a barbecue, the clink of dishes washed by cousins, and a grandfather’s booming laughter. It all blends together to form the ...more
Published May 28th 2019 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published October 12th 2010)

Start your review of Nighttime Symphony
Alex  Baugh
Jul 18, 2019 rated it liked it
This is the story of a boy afraid of a thunderstorm and his dad's reassurance that he will be safe. It was not a favorite with my young readers.
Raven Black
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great illustrations. The poem of text is a song.
Mary Lee
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
The little boy is not told he will be "safe AND sound" from the nighttime thunderstorm, he is told he will be "safe IN sound."

Lisa Swope
The tap-dance icon Gregory Hines once made a movie, Tap, about taking the sounds of the world around you -- the creaks of the house, the noise of the wind, the traffic on the street -- and making music of it. Timbaland steps into that groove and charms a lullabye out of it.
QueenAmidala28
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: librarians, parents,poets
I'm still crying. Why wasn't I exposed to poetry like this when I was a kid? :)

This is an incredible children's book with stunning illustrations that highlight the beautiful poetry.
Timerland never lets you down whether in the studio or on the page. He takes all the sounds of the urban jungle and transforms it into a soothing lullaby for your child. Bright, large illustrations enhance the writing that will keep not only your little one entertained, but also yourself. This book takes the crazy
Erin Buhr
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
I like the sweet way this soothes a child during a storm. That's definitely a theme with which any parent and child will relate. The illustrations are vibrant and beautiful. They depict night as alive and aglow in a way that's warm and soothing. There are places where the rhythm of the text made me halt that took away from the reading experience for me. I would love to hear Timbaland read this aloud to hear what it sounds like to him. In general, this is a comforting bedtime story.
Danielle
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good book for storytimes about rain, sleep, or rhyming. This book has large pictures with rich colors that make it perfect for sharing at a storytime. It could work for toddler time as well, but it is a little long. There are good places for movement and participation. This book features a black dad and son, so it can be used to make sure everyone feels welcome at storytime. It does feature angels but there is nothing specifically religious about the text.
Mary Ann
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
With an intense summer storm brewing, a child looks out into the nighttime sky full of worry. A father calms the child with soothing words, assuring them that they’ll be “safe in sound“.

“don’t fear the raging storm so strong—
we’ll remix the raging into a song ....
you’re the dj to spin
your sweet self to bed.”

Billie
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
The illustrations are luminous and breathtaking. The text is less so. And although it's deliberate and makes sense once one turns the page "Sleep safe in sound" jumps off the page as a huge grammatical error and literally stopped my reading. Re-arranging the text so that the reader recognizes the deliberateness of this phrase immediately would be a huge, huge help.
Erika
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Finally read NIGHTIME SYMPHONY. The illustrations were uniquely warm. Let’s all use this before bed read to replace those not-so-friendly lullabies our parents sang to us. Have you ever as an adult thought about what those words really were? In NIGHTIME SYMPHONY, a loving dad reassures his son all will be well and the storm outside will pass.
Diane
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
“... the storm was just a lullaby.”

A little boy is afraid of the storm, but his father draws attention to the musical beauty of raindrops on the window and “trees waving arms up in the air” like they are dancing. Soon he falls asleep and awakens to a new, bright day.

Kayla
I want to actually *hear* this book. There are some deliberate word choices that would make more sense when heard aloud. It's fun following the child & cat from page to page, this would definitely catch the attention of many readers.
Musiclib
A very cute picture book about the sounds of nighttime in a city. Absolutely amazing illustrations! This would be a good bedtime story for pre-K to 1st grade. A tiny grip - none of the sentences start with a capital letter.
AMY
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Grades K-2
This rhyming story contains the most beautiful words and images. Not all of the book rhymes smoothly but overall it is a lovely concept. It would make a great read-aloud for younger children. Highly recommended for Grades K-2.
Anthony
A sweet rhyming lullaby told to a child as he tries to sleep during a storm. The writer puts the storm, and its sounds into musical rhythm to ease the harshness of what is actually happening outside, and reassure the child that he is safe on the inside.
Kathy
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
The play with words was really well done & introduced to children some words that are not normally used with young ones. Imaginative use of words & illustrations to ease any fear of storms.
Racheal
Aug 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Really gorgeous illustrations, but I was distracted by the less than perfect rhyming text
Maureen
Didn't do anything for me.
N
Beautiful text and illustrations. A great way to help kids think about thunderstorms in positive ways.
Dr. Cheryl S.
Jun 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Check out my thoughts on this bedtime read- aloud on Reading Rumpus: https://www.readingrumpus.com/2019/06...
Margaux
A little boy's father assures him that the storm outside will not harm him, it's just a night symphony. Beautiful book in verse, with bright illustrations that really do evoke a rainy city night.
MaryLibrarianOH
A soothing, rhythmic bedtime story.
Annese
Beautiful!!
Christine Turner

Bedtime -- Juvenile fiction.

Storms -- Juvenile fiction.

City and town life -- Juvenile fiction.

Stories in rhyme. -- Juvenile fiction.

Kristin
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
With smooth, sleek, imaginative illustrations and rhythmic text, this book turns a storm into a lullaby, perfect for a quiet one-on-one read or bedtime.
Edward Sullivan
Jul 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A rhyming text captures the soundtrack of a young child's life as he readies for bed.
Jen
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lyrically beautiful & actually gorgeous. I loved that I could not only see what I was being told, but hear the sounds that were being described. I can't wait to gift this to everyone.
Peacegal
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Appealing and evocative. Children are invited to look at a night storm as music, rather than something scary.
Tracie
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, all
Soothing city lullaby - love the illustrations and the words.

• Hair Love