Start by marking “The End of the Line” as Want to Read:
The End of the Line

The End of the Line

This collection of stories from some of horror fiction’s best authors will glue you to the page, but watch out; it may leave you too afraid to take the metro to work.

In deep tunnels something stirs, borne on a warm breath of wind, reeking of diesel and blood. The spaces between stations hold secrets too terrible for the upper world to comprehend and the steel lines sing wi
Published October 26th 2010 by Solaris

To ask other readers questions about The End of the Line, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The End of the Line

Andrew
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This has been an interesting read if I will admit (through no fault of the book) a slow one.

The idea of a themed anthology is nothing new, however I will admit that the idea of dedicating one to the Underground and all things related (however vaguely) is an interesting one and I will admit the choice of authors an interesting one.

I guess have read more than my fair share of anthologies you start to see the same names appear again and again and in some cases even specific stories too. Now this b
Barry
Feb 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Did you enjoy the subway horrors of Clive Barker’s “The Midnight Meat Train,” in the first volume of his Books of Blood (1984)? Perhaps the tunnels of Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child’s 1997 novel Reliquary have left you with nightmarish thrills. Or maybe you fondly remember famous Tube chase sequence in the movie An American Werewolf In London (1981). If any of these or other tales of terror set in the world of underground transportation have pushed the right buttons for you, then you need to ...more
Simon
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories, horror
I don't usually give anthologies five stars because they inevitably vary so much in quality. It's unlikely a reader will find all of the stories to their taste. However, the quality of this collection is incredibly maintained throughout (albeit with one or two exceptions). Maybe the theme resonated with the contributors and managed to excite them to greater effort.

I loved “23:45 Morden (via Bank)” by Rebecca Levene in which the protagonists life goes rapidly down the pan for reasons he can't wo
Nancy Oakes
for me, somewhere in the neighborhood of a 3.5. More on this book soon, but for now it's your typical horror anthology, with a couple of excellent stories, some that are okay, and some that are not so hot.

I won't be keeping this one, so if anyone in the US wants it, it's yours. Gratis.
Lauren
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories, horror
The only worry I had in picking up The End of the Line is that its theme would prove too restrictive for its authors. This worry vanished completely sometime later in the flurry of page-turning. The stories are all powerfully written, to the point where the authors probably could have all told the same story and still had me riveted, but there's tremendous diversity of concept and execution here. Pat Cadigan's "Funny Things" and Rebecca Levene's "23:45 Morden (via Bank)" are both about people wh ...more
Bandit
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first became fascinated with London Underground via the incomprable Neverwhere, however wherein Neverwhere's Underground is wild and exciting, the stories in this book present it as what it ought to be...terrifying. Seriously terrifying. One after another these excellent well written and well selected claustrophobic nightmares are certain to ensure that from now one the reader should walk, bike, take buses or cabs, do whatever it takes to stay above the ground. Really liked this anthology, gre ...more
Jeannie Sloan
Oct 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
What a fun anthology-creepy Underground.The stories, for the most part, were very good and scary with well known authors and some that are up and coming.
Edward Taylor
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great collection of short stories based around (or in theme) of the London Underground system. For those who have traveled the tube, it is wonderful if not sometimes an antiquated system of tunnels that criss-cross all of the greater London Metro areas. My wife and I loved traveling there when we went for our honeymoon and getting out of the hustle and bustle of the city and into the flung countrysides of the lower isles were beautiful (I highly recommend the green line all the way to Kensal Gre ...more
Martin Belcher
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
A spine chilling collection of 19 short stories based in and around The London Underground, New York Subway, Paris Metro and some other lesser known metro systems. There are some horrific and memorable stories here, some will make you think twice about using an underground train in the future! Some of my favourites from the collection are the "The Girl in the glass" by John L. Probert, a story of horrific visions in the window of a London tube train. "Fallen Boys" by Mark Morris, a good old fash ...more
Rikard
For a book that I got free! It was brilliant, I enjoyed the book from cover to cover. Many of the short stories were to short and wished they were longer, and kept thinking that many of them could be made into films or a series. It brought back memories of the times on the underground and wondering what was lurking in all those dark corners while waiting for a train!!! :D
Aura
Sep 01, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5 stars, as the quality of the stories differed. The writing style was professional in all the stories but some were more engaging and original than others. Overall a very diverse collection that will make me take a further look at some of the contributors.

Bullroarer - 3
The Girl in the Glass - 2
The Lure - 3.5 - liked the way the atmosphere was created, very easy to conjure in my mind
23:45 Modern (via Bank) - 3.5 - plenty of promise, dark, alienated, Kafka-esque
End of the Line - 3 - that could
Ronald
Oct 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
The stories are generally above average, closer to 4 stars than to 3.

I'm interested in train stories, which probably has something to do with the fact that my main mode of transportation, such as coming to and from work, is by train.

Trains have provided a setting for detective fiction, romance, and thrillers. I've thought that trains and the subway system can be a interesting backdrop for horror/weird fiction, and it was with eagerness that I read this book.

While most of the stories here are ho
David
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
In his introduction to this collection, Jonathan Oliver writes that that the genesis of this anthology was that the Underground was under-used for horror stories. While is a possible matter for debate, his introduction sets out the scope given to contributors. They could tackle the tube trains of London or other cities or just anywhere underground.

Inevitably in an anthology, the content will vary. I did not judge all of the stories to be satisfying. ‘Bullroarer’ by Paul Meloy works as the explor
Hugo
Feb 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
A restrictive theme, inevitably encouraging that bane of the modern horror anthology - the slightly surreal and depressing tale of modern ennui and dislocation. Individually, there's possibly some good work here; as a whole, there's only so many stories of sad and lonely people wandering into the underground and getting forever lost or emerging into a slightly different world one person can take. Not even a single vampire tale, which would have seemed impossible for an anthology of this sort onl ...more
Matthew Fryer
Jul 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
The city undergrounds of the world have always been a great canvas for horror. Everybody’s been on one, breathed the stale air, rattled through those labyrinths of long, black tunnels. Whether deserted late at night, or in the middle of a packed rush-hour, it’s possibly to feel completely alone amid all that indifference, both human and mechanical. And who doesn’t remember that truly great scene from An American Werewolf in London?

The End of the Line, an anthology from Solaris Books and edited b
Max
Oct 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, anthology
This sounded like a pretty cool concept for an anthology, and I do still think there's a lot of potential for horror stories involving the subway. However, there weren't actually many stories here that I enjoyed. Some of them barely made use of the subway setting at all - Bullroarer being one of the most egregious, since it's mostly a flashback and could have been set on a bus or any other form of public transit easily enough. Others were cliche or boring to me. In the Colosseum tried too hard t ...more
Leah Polcar
As is usual in most collections of stories, End of the Line features some superb and some really crummy tales. As another reviewer noted, because of the theme, it does seem repetitive, especially when reading through the stories of lesser quality. But to be fair, it is a collection of stories about subways, so by its nature it is going to be repetitive. While the worst of the stories are pretty bad (ugh, the story about the rock and roll train made me almost throw the book away; dumb idea and re ...more
Chimene
May 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Chimene by: Given as a gift
Umm...

This book was kindly given as a gift because I had expressed interest in it. Mainly because it had the work of an author that I liked.

I think this book was practical in the sense that it introduced me to wide range of authors and demonstrated their work but the collection didn't have me feverishly wanting more.

The theme was the underground, and some authors had used some surprising, unexpected and clever angles. Others I just didn't get.

One or two stories stood out; but for the most part I
Ade Couper
Aug 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
An excellent idea for a horror anthology - all these tales are based on underground railways , & , as someone who's always incredibly frustrated by the tube in London, this was going to float my boat...

There are some excellent tales here : "Down" , by Christopher Fowler is beautiful , "Crazy Train" by Natasha Rhodes is incredibly funny , while "In the Colosseum" by Stephen Volk is incredibly dark & nasty.

As with every multi-author collection there are a couple of tales that miss the tar
Reese Copeland
May 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Overall, a really great collection of scary and suspenseful stories revolving around trains or the subway. For the most part, they are all revolving around British locations or authors. I honestly enjoyed all but one of the stories, which I couldn't even finish, but I can't even tell you which one story it was. Some had great interpretations of tunnels and the underground. A nice variety of backgrounds and complexity to the stories. I would highly recommend it for a good variety and for a good s ...more
Cate Gardner
May 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Excellent collection of stories set on various undergrounds (some real, some fictional). Favourite stories were the chilling 'The Girl in the Glass' by John Probert, '23:45 Morden (via Bank)' by Rebecca Levene, 'End of the Line' by Jasper Bark, 'On All Underground Lines' by Adam Nevill, 'The Rounds' by Ramsey Campbell (I recommened that you don't read Campbell's story while travelling on the Liverpool Underground system, which unfortunately I did) and favourite story of all, 'Crazy Train' by Nat ...more
Johnny Andrews
Jun 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Not bad collection of shorts set on or around the underground, mostly London. Quite diverse for what is supposed to be a selection of horror tales, some border more on just thought provoking or plain weird.
The last tale is a hauntingly sad tale which I believe will linger in my thoughts for quite some time.
So if you fancy several tales of claustrophobic, sliding doors into darkness, out of sync bizarreness then this is right up your alley.
Kirsty
Jan 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, short-stories
With such a specific theme for a book, it's inevitable that some of the stories are too similar, and simply tread the same tired ground. But when the authors took a different view on what it means to be 'underground', the stories were creepy and horrible and utterly wonderful. Highlights were the stories by Nicholas Royle, Simon Bestwick, Conrad Williams, and Mark Morris.
Steve Nixon
An interesting collection of stories. As with most collections there are high and low points. The majority of stories are of a high calibre; and, importantly, most of the stories have the all important twist in the tale to keep you guessing to the end. Recommended for those who travel on the tube, worthwhile for others with an interest in ghost stories.
Sinistmer
Jul 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, fantasy
There were some good stories--such as "Girl in the Glass", "The Roses that Bloom Underground", "The Sons of the City, Siding 13, and "Down"--these ones were creepy and fascinating concepts. However, some I found some (Bullroarer and In The Colosseum ) so gross that it affected my overall perception of the book. I also really wish that there had been some set in Boston's subway.
JD Gillam
Jun 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great collection of short stories based around underground travels - either trains or otherwise. A couple of tales that did nothing for me, but the remaining stories were very good - some even forced a wry smile from me during my daily commute......
Nickey
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5*
Some of the stories are beautiful, haunting and sad, but beautiful. Some are good horror. And some have simply turned my stomach. Sadly those are the ones that got stuck in my head - unnecessarily. Put me off finishing the book for a long time.
Cameron Reid
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some pretty chilling short stories!
Jin
Feb 03, 2012 rated it did not like it
Sick and twisted and not in a good way
Petra Be
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspence, horror
Some of the stories were excellent, some good, one or two s bit weird, but all in all it was a great read.

• Best New Horror 21 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #21)
  • Borderlands 2
  • The Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror, 2011 Edition
  • Demons By Daylight
  • Poe: 19 New Tales of Suspense, Dark Fantasy, and Horror Inspired by Edgar Allan Poe
  • My Favorite Horror Story
  • Night Visions: The Hellbound Heart
  • 100 Ghastly Little Ghost Stories
  • Cutting Edge
  • The Starry Wisdom
Jonathan Oliver has worked in theatres across the country including War and Peace at the Royal National Theatre, The Homecoming at Leicester Haymarket and the role of Antony in Antony and Cleopatra at the Bridwell. TV credits include Eskimo Day, House of Eliott and Hannay and he is active in voice-over and radio.