Start by marking “Chicks Run Wild” as Want to Read:
Chicks Run Wild

Chicks Run Wild

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  436 ratings  ·  86 reviews

When Mama Hen kisses her kids goodnight, she expects them to stay in bed. But those chicks...run...wild! They jump around and do cartwheels until Mama comes in and scolds them. But when she turns out the lights, the chicks start a pillow fight! Finally, Mama gets her chickies settled—but it turns out she’s not ready for bed, either….

Sudipta Bardhan-Quallen’s playful rhyme

Published January 25th 2011 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Chicks Run Wild, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chicks Run Wild

Tasha
Feb 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Mama Hen tucks each of her five little chicks into bed with fluffed up pillows and kisses. But when she leaves the room, the chicks run wild! They jump, play, dance. Even though they try to hide what they are doing from their mama, she figures it out. Again, she tries to tuck them into bed, but again they run wild when she leaves. Finally, she catches them in a wild pillow fight and that is when her response surprises the chicks. She offers to play with them! Now all of them go wild with dancing ...more
Theophilus (Theo)
Feb 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
I loved it. No, it's not about young, drunken coeds, on spring break, it's about real chicks. Mama Hen can't get her baby chicks to stay in bed and go to sleep. Every time she says goodnight and leaves the room, they 'go wild'. "She put her wings on her hips and . . . then she gives them all a peck . . .." 15 minutes that will brighten your day.
Donalyn
I won't deny it; I love chicken books. If I want to smile, I pick up a book starring a chicken. In this hilarious bedtime book, five chicks disobey their mother by going wild at bedtime instead of sleeping. Rhymes are fun and interesting, and the conclusion of the story will delight both young readers and adults. Winner, winner...no chicken dinner, but chicken dancing is good.
Katieb (MundieMoms)
Chicks Run Wild is a fabulous addition to any bed time book collection. The rhyming words, the illustrations and the silly things the chicks do, make this book one both kids and parents will enjoy. As a parent, any book that captures my children's attention and is engaging for them is a huge success.

I really enjoyed the mother hen. Not only did I relate to her in her numerous attempts to get her kids to stay in bed, but I liked her gentle reminder that it's okay to break your own rules and play
Melissa
Nice rhyme that actually scans, lively illustrations with fun details (faves: the Abbey Road w/chicks image on the wall and book The Egg & I on the dresser). I also like Stay Awake, Sally, by Modarressi for bedtime role-reversal.
Kami Kinard
Oct 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My favorite Sudipta Book. Fun! Cute. Hens and chicks will all be able to relate. Hopefully, roosters will get a kick out of this chicklet chick lit too!
Julie
May 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of my new favorites! I love the illustrations.
Lynae Aelvoet
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-reviews
Summary: A mother hen is trying to put her five baby chicks in bed, but she is having some trouble. Every time Mama Hen leaves the chick's bedroom they run wild! The chicks jump on their beds, do cartwheels, and even have pillow fights. The wild chicks are caught by their mother multiple times, but not matter what Mamma says, the chicks still disobey. While the chicks are playing around, when they should be sleeping, Mamma catches them for the last time. Instead of telling the chicks to stop sh ...more
Peggy Archer
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mama tucks her little chicks into bed, but every time she leaves the room, the 'chicks run wild!' Finally, Mama, who is tired and a bit exasperated, does something that surprises the chicks--and the readers as well! Read the book to find out! Kids are sure to enjoy this book, and the illustrations that add to a really fun read.
Miss Sarah
Jun 24, 2017 rated it liked it
baby chicks run wild after mama puts them to sleep she keeps checking on them and finally catches them and asks where is her invitation. Then she parties with theme till they fall asleep.
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, 3-stars

It's not a favorite for me, but I can see the rhyme and bright use of colors being popular with preschoolers.
Mahbubul
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just read it to my 3 year old son and he loved it. It has colorful pictures and the story is presented in rhymes.
Kelly
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute, silly, colorful, whimsical. This is a neat book.
Heidi-Marie
Fun pictures. Rhyming scheme was pretty good (except that I don't say "Pajamas" the way the author does, apparently). Fun to see the story progress. Love Mama Hen's solution. A little disconcerted for a moment that they have feather pillows--but maybe they're goose feathers, so we're all right? :-) I did not like the last page/ending. If I could read the book without that last page, I would totally do this for a storytime.

3/20/13 & 3/21/13: I did a bedtime theme for our first preschool Sprin
Barbara
Jun 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ncbla
It's time for bed for all little chicks, but when Mama Hen puts them to bed, they aren't ready and start to play after she leaves. Time and time again she cautions them to go to sleep, but the same thing happens each time. They wait until she has left, and then chaos erupts. In desperation, Mama turns the tables on them and keeps them busy until they are exhausted. The rhyming lines give this story a fast pace and ear-catching rhythm, and young readers will enjoy hearing and reading this one ove ...more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids

Lindsay
I think this story is a lot of fun--great pictures and humor--but it is a little long to read to pre-schoolers. Some of the words are a little advanced, too, but it also is a very-well done rhyming story. When I do this story, I generally read one less book and replace the "lost" story with a poem or extra song/fingerplay.

What I like to do with this story is have all the children say "Those chicks run wild!" with me.

This story lends well for a story time with a chicken/hen/rooster/chick theme,
Sunnyvale Librarian
Mama Chicken tucks in her little chicks at the end of the day, kisses each little head and says, "Go to sleep, now." She closes the door and then, "those chicks run wild!" Mama returns, the chicks pretend to sleep; Mama repeats her kisses and leaves and then, "those chicks run wild!" This scene repeats and Mama becomes increasingly frazzled with each return to the chicks' bedroom. Finally, Mama decides to join in the fun. Parents will especially enjoy the final scene of a parent getting a little ...more
Sep 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
A bunch of baby chickens run wild after their mother puts them to bed. After a few reminders, the mother decides to get wild with the chicks too. The family dances around the bedroom and has a wonderful time, until all the chicks are sleepy and ready for bed. Then momma chicken gets wild on the couch, painting her toenails, watching trashy tv, and enjoying some chocolates. The illustrations are vibrant and perfectly capture the feel of chicks running wild at bedtime.
Katie
Jul 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Super cute book! My kids love this one and love to find Mama looking in the door of the chicks' room! The rhyming is cute, and since we've read it so many times, I have the cadence down pretty well. I must say that it is SUPERBLY illustrated by my high school classmate, Ward Jenkins. Great job Ward!
Heather
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: story-time-books
This book is tough for the under 3 crowd - if their concentration is not there. This was the "long" book to start story time. That being said - some kids loved the predictability of the book. The door is closed...and CHICKS RUN WILD! A few chuckles from mom's at the end too - which means they were paying attention along with the kids.
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bed-time, chickens
Mama Hen puts her chicks to bed, only to come back to find them causing a ruckus. Rhyming very much in the meter and style of the Llama Llama books. When mama hen finally tired out her chicks and gets them into bed, she "runs wild" in her own way - watching TV and painting her nails. My idea of a great night :)

Really fun illustrations.
Tanya
Jul 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is darling - the illustrations are too cute! However, not a book for bedtime!!! It makes a little one be wild like the little chicks in the story. Mama Hen gets cross at her chicks as they pretend to sleep and eventually get wild with them too but they get tuckered out first and THEN go to sleep. Still cute but perhaps don't read it at bedtime :)
Matthew
Nov 05, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a cute rhyming story of a bunch a chicks that won't go to sleep and what the mother hen does to finally overcome the problem. The pacing of the story is nice and the illustrations are amusing. Overall, children would be happy with this book and a parent would definitely relate to the story of children that just don't want to go to sleep. Probably a good bedtime story.
Dolly
Nov 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun book for bedtime. It's a bit raucous, so if you're trying to get the kiddos to settle down, this might not be the right book. The rhyming narrative is humorous and the illustrations are very colorful and amusing. We enjoyed reading this story together and our girls had fun chiming in on the repetitive refrain, "those chicks run wild!"
Tricia
Jul 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Joyfully fun book about chicks who don't want to go to bed. Told in rhyming text, this story has a repeating line that children will adore and quickly learn to yell out "those chicks run wild!" Bold and bright illustrations add to the fun.
Michele Seigfried
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I went to a book fair today in Princeton, NJ and discovered this author for the first time. I loved this book, it's absolutely adorable. I was able to get it autographed too for my daughter. I would highly recommend this for your little ones.
Stefani
Apr 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-picture
Fun book about young chicks who just won't go to sleep! And there may be more to Mama's scolding than we think! Definitely at the top of the list for storytimes. The pictures are fun and colorful, and the rhymes have a good rhythm to them.
Chinasa Izeogu
Oct 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Mother hen lays down her chicks for bed but as soon as she is gone those chicks run wild!
Great rhymes to hype up but rather long to read out loud to a crowd of young toddlers. it would be more appropriate for ages 3-5. But I cannot deny it makes me want to try to do the chicken dance.
Deanna Donald
Apr 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
This text could be used to help students identify rhyming words. I'd also use this at naptime with my pre-k students as its talking about sleeping and chicks wanting to play at night. I might even share this with a student that is not getting enough sleep at night!
  • No Sleep for the Sheep!
  • Hide-and-Squeak
  • Five Little Monkeys Reading in Bed
  • Creak! Said the Bed
  • Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy
  • Tell Me the Day Backwards
  • Race You to Bed
  • Kitty Cat, Kitty Cat, Are You Going to Sleep?
  • Itsy Mitsy Runs Away
  • Can't Sleep Without Sheep
  • Fuddles
  • Five Little Chicks
  • Sleepy, Oh So Sleepy: A Picture Book
Sudipta Bardhan-Quallen is an award-winning children's book author whose books include Duck Duck Moose, Chicks Run Wild, Pirate Princess, Hampire!, and the forthcoming Orangutangled. She visits schools around the country to talk about the craft of writing to children of all ages. "Every book is an autobiography" is a favorite saying of hers, and a big part of her message is that everyone, grownup ...more