Start by marking “The Back Door of Midnight (Dark Secrets, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Back Door of Midnight (Dark Secrets, #5)

The Back Door of Midnight

(Dark Secrets #5)

Psychic...or psychotic?

Anna knows her family is crazy. But when she goes to visit her aunt and uncle for the summer and learns that her uncle’s charred body has been found, her life reaches a new level of insanity. Her erratic aunt’s “psychic” abilities are exaggerated by her grief, and have become borderline violent. Alone in an unfamiliar town, Anna struggles to pick up
Published November 16th 2010 by Simon Pulse

Start your review of The Back Door of Midnight (Dark Secrets, #5)
Mandy
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When I read this book during my freshman year in high school, I was confused about people being psychic or psychotic. After I just finished it today, I was somewhat satisfied. I just don't like Elizabeth Chandler's writing style. I don't know how to describe it, but she has a certain "way" with words. Plus, the books isn't good to read before you go to bed if you know what's good for you!
Emily Messer
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was crazy. There were so many secrets and it was mysterious and suspenseful. Such a thriller. It was just as good as the other Elizabeth Chandler books.
Nina {ᴡᴏʀᴅs ᴀɴᴅ ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀ}
Reread June 3rd 2015!

I loved this one as much as I loved the previous two Dark Secrets collections.

Anna O'Neill Kirkpatrick has come to Wisteria to visit her great Uncle at his request, on the grounds that he wished to tell her something about the O'Neill family, only to find that he had died several days before. Instead she finds herself in the company of her crazy great Aunt Iris, who according to the O'Neill family is either psychic or psychotic. Anna doesn't yet believe she's psychic. Howeve
Louise
Good story, interesting and quiet spooky :P
Meryem
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
AAAAHH (screaming!!!!😂😂)
this book is just crazy,a suspenseful thriller mixed with mystery it was quite strong psychic and dark .
this book talks about a girl Anna she's 18 years old she was adopted by a family in Baltimore and her birth mother killed in robbery when Anna has three years, after receiving the letter from her uncle (e-mail I guess I'm not sure hhhh😅)which he asked her to visit him in order to discuss some family stuff in Wisteria,she was shocked by finding him died in fire after bei
Casey Macdonald
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Anna O’Neill Kirkpatrick is a teenaged girl about to enter college; She lost her mother in a robbery at their home when she was very young. She now is adopted by a family and lives in Baltimore and she is 18 years old. When school is just getting out she gets a letter from her uncle Will saying “Dear Anna, Would you visit us this summer? The sooner the better. Aunt Iris is doing poorly, and there are things I must tell you about your mother and out family. I want to do so while I am still clear ...more
Maria Gallo
Jan 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love the romance in this book. I love how you don't know it Zack is using Anna or actually trying to help her up until the end. I thought it was interesting how instead of Anna's crazy aunt decided to help Anna instead of her daughter that ended up being even more crazy than her. This book had a lot of thought in the after world and in spirits people supposedly leave behind when they die. Aunt Iris had this ability to talk with dead people. But since it was a small town she lived in ...more
Ashley
Apr 16, 2011 rated it liked it
I’ve read a majority of Elizabeth Chandler’s work, and I truly love her writing style and her characters. So I was very, very excited to read this installment in the Dark Secrets series. But to be honest, it wasn’t anything extraordinary. I feel as though it was a rehash of the previous Dark Secrets novels. I knew who the killer was long before it was revealed, and that ruined the ending of the story for me.

Elizabeth Chandler still has her distinct writing style, and her unique way of building
Catherine
Dec 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
If I could I would give this book another 1/2 star. I wasn't too sure if I was going to like this book until about chapter six, but I ended up really liking it.

Chandler weaves a story with interesting characters. Right up until the end, I did not know what all the secrets were. I can usually figure out what is going to happen at the end of the book, but Chandler doesn't give away her secrets until she is ready to.
Bonnie Ferrante
Oct 03, 2011 rated it liked it
A mystery involving a crazy aunt and a murdered uncle with a closet full of family skeletons. Highly suspenseful with a likeable main character. However, the explanations of "out of body" experiences were out of place. I think it could have been an even better book with one more edit to tighten up the plot.
Christine
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I saw this book at our school book fair and it looked interesting. i bought it and fell in love with Elizabeth Chandlers work. after that i went to books a million and got her Kissed by an Angel trilogy (1-4). However after reading The Back Door of Mindnight i discovered it was the 3rd book in the series :(... hope you enjou her books too!!
Kae Villar
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love reading Dark Secrets because it makes you really think and guess who the killer is. And it ends up as somebody totally unexpected that you wouldn't even guess. if you did, good for you. lol but that's what suspense is all about right?
Kathryn
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've read every Dark Secrets book and loved them. This one was no exception. The plot, the characters, the details, everything was perfect. I was riveted from the very beginning. And I never guessed who the killer was until it was right in front of my face! Such a good book.
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Nov 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
Another great one by Chandler! I didn't even see the ending coming on this one.
Josette Bonilla
Dec 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Love her work.....Can't wait for the next Kissed By an Angel book.....
Sabine Francois
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read this in a day, I couldn't put it down!
Carli Piretra
This book is about a girl named Anna whose mother died from an alleged robbery when she was just a baby. Anna was then adopted by her new family who live in Philly. One summer day, Anna receives a letter from her Uncle Will asking her to come for a visit and that he has some "things [he] must tell [Anna] about [her] mother and [their] family" (3). However, when she arrives at her Uncle's house she comes to find that he is now dead from arson and her Aunt Iris has gone quite crazy. Anna sets out ...more
Sha
once i became entangled in Anna's story, THE BACK DOOR OF MIDNIGHT was un-put-downable. that didn't mean it wasn't without its flaws, and perhaps since it was the last of three Chandler mysteries that I had read in the past few days, i held on to those flaws more tightly.

after receiving a letter from her uncle Will, inviting her to spend the summer with him and her Aunt Iris (his sister), Anna arrives to learn her uncle has died a few days earlier. her aunt, a woman she recalls from childhood as
ReadingSloph
This was quite a different read. There was a lot of mystery and there is a murder to solve, or rather 3 murders. Anna finds herself involved in things she never thought she would and it is all very strange. This book is easy to read and draws you into the story as the mystery element really keeps you guessing, though some people may have guessed some of it (I'm quite bad at guessing what is going to happen).
I thought that even though there was a lot going on it spent a long time setting up the
John Clark
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anna's family history is complex. Father unknown, biological mom murdered when she was three, cared for by older uncle and aunt until she was adopted. Now in the summer before college, she gets a mysterious invitation to visit her uncle and aunt. Uncle Will says he needs to tell her things in the brief note inviting her to the old house on a Maryland river. When she arrives, Her Aunt Iris is borderline psychotic, talking to nothing and answering Anna's questions cryptically or refusing to do so ...more
Savannah Hobson
Elizabeth Chandler does it again! Any young reader is going to love this story. Her choice to include two books in one binding makes readers excited for their ability see two different stories. Much like her other books there is a strong female leads and when she kinds herself in an unfamiliar town how is she supposed to know who to trust. This book is fantastic for young female readers as it embodies the feel of a female version of the Harvey Boys. The mystery allows for readers to guess who ma ...more
Boaz
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
honestly my favourite book out of all the books she had written. good plot, nice characters and unexpected killer (or maybe I'm just dumb idk man). it's hard to find a book these days with a love line yet without sex, but this book delivered!

on an unrelated sidenote, i recommended this book to my friend and she said that it was for 15 year olds (meaning it's for kids)
Raven
Jul 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good!!!
I haven’t read a Dark Secrets book in years and I hadn’t read this one before and I loved it.
I love the psychic elements of the book as I don’t feel like there is enough of them out there.
Her obsession with Zack and her constant reliance on him bugged me quite a lot though because he never actually helped her but she seems to think he had.
McKenna
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've loved every Elizabeth Chandler book I've read. This was a nice, fast-paced mystery. It could have had more detail, but I liked it the way it was. And I may be just a sissy, but it had me scared to read the next line!
Alana Rabach
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Siddalee
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I like the book and suggest this book to someone you likes mystery and romance at the same time. The end was so sweet. The beginning is weird at first but when you read more it is really interesting.
Erin
Feb 11, 2020 rated it liked it
I give the series 3 stars. It was basically the same book each time but with different characters. I liked the paranormal aspects of the books and how they were a quick read. However, romance was a major theme in the series, which is a big turn-off for me.
Wren
May 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: blog-to-review
Review to come
Rebecca
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was exactly what I wanted out of this book, even if I found it a little predictable who was committing the crimes.
Joanna
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
4.5 STARS!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
419 READs: The Back Door of Midnight (Riana Alfaro) 1 6 Jan 11, 2016 05:54PM
Why didn't Anna notice she was psychic sooner? 3 16 Nov 03, 2011 04:55PM

• Dark Visions (Dark Visions, #1-3)
  • Night World, No. 2 (Night World, #4-6)
  • Night World, No. 3 (Night World, #7-9)
  • Mean Spirits / Young Blood (The Mediator, #3-4)
  • Grave Doubts / Heaven Sent (The Mediator, #5-6)
  • After the Woods
  • Premeditated
  • Valerie (Orchard Valley, #1)
  • Untamed (House of Night, #4)
  • Le deuxième sexe I
  • Old Magic
  • Halo (Halo, #1)
  • Ashes on the Waves
  • My Sweet Audrina (Audrina, #1)
  • Night World, No. 1 (Night World, #1-3)
  • The Underneath
  • No Offense (Little Bridge Island, #2)
  • Sundancer
Elizabeth Chandler is a pseudonym for Mary-Claire Helldorfer. She currently lives in Baltimore, Maryland. ...more

Dark Secrets (5 books)
  • Legacy of Lies (Dark Secrets, #1)
  • Don't Tell (Dark Secrets, #2)
  • No Time to Die (Dark Secrets, #3)
  • The Deep End of Fear (Dark Secrets, #4)