Start by marking “Learning to Listen, Learning to Teach: The Power of Dialogue in Educating Adults” as Want to Read:

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  140 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
In a distinctly personal and highly entertaining style, Jane Vella offers a practical, proven, universally applicable approach to adult education. From a graduate school in New York to the mountains of Nepal to the drought-parched fields of Ethiopia, Vella draws on her rich personal experiences as an adult educator to reveal twelve basic principles of adult learning that t ...more
Published November 7th 1997 by Jossey-Bass

Josh
Mar 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish Jane Vella had a professional writer. That is the only thing that keeps this book from getting 5 stars.

But if you are a teacher at any level, I highly recommend reading this book AND PUTTING IT INTO PRACTICE. I have had terrible experience being taught this material in a way completely divorced from the methods taught in the book. Praxis - action with reflection - is the key to this book.

The strongest ideas are one that Vella borrows. She acknowledges and reiterates Freire's brilliant in
John Henry
Nov 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
I HAVE SEVERAL PROACTIVE QUESTIONS:
What I would like to know from this book that will help me in my ministry?

1. How can I adopt principles of Vella’s dialogue education and quantum thinking?
The WWW, ‘Who needs What and defined by Whom’, is a key assessment principle that I want to adopt in all of our programs. To do that I believe I need to be intentional on a personal level first. I need to keep a journal as I pray for individuals in my team and network around the world. In my journal I need
Stan
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Learning to Listen, Learning to Teach is a great book on adult education, specifically focused on teacher skills and course content preparation.

The author spreads her life experiences in adult education in many countries throughout this book to highlight specific concepts and to show the inter-relatedness of the concepts.

In the end, it is possible to view the concepts together in an integrated manner. Excellent presentation of the material!

If you teach adults in any venue, applying this book sho
Tamara Gantt
Oct 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading this now, and I'm on Chapter 8, "Praxis: Turning Practice into Action and Reflection." As a teacher, I need to explore new ways to teach adults. Praxis, as the writer explains, is a Greek word that means 'action with reflection.' "It is doing with built-in reflection" (115).

Reflection is a word that we use often in education, but we may not fully appreciate the concept of teaching people to think about what they are doing while they are doing it. It may seem that people would do thi
Jade Lauron
I hate the fact that everyone wants to dress up perfectly good information with pseudoscience just to make it sound even better than it is. This author is in love with the word "quantum" but what she really means is "holistic" and instead of saying "quantum thinking" she should be saying things like "holistic sensory engagement" or "holistic engagement" or even "dynamic approach". Just because you call a thing "quantum" and give a sloppy analogy regarding quantum and Newtonian physics at the beg ...more
Shari
Jan 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for anyone working with adult learners. Vella's background is in corporate training specifically, and she has experience working all over the world, even with people whose language she doesn't speak. Her 12 principles for dialogue education are helpful, useful, and fully described. I expect to return to this book again and again.
Sep 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this in the hopes that it would help with training volunteers, and I think it did! If nothing else there are interesting stories in it from all over the world. And the general concept, that adults actually know already what they would like to learn and can tell you what that is, should be a no-brainer but is so potentially powerful.
Peter Johnson
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sorry, but Jane Vella is no linguist. "Praxis" is NOT a Greek word meaning action with reflection. She has many other failures with language. However, as an educator, I believe she does well and provides practical help that has value. Some of this stuff just helps you think differently about teaching, and that is a plus.
Brandon
Kind of hard to read, but very informative.
Donna
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
By listening and responding to the learner, by respecting what the learner brings to the conversation, those who facilitate adult learning can be more effective. And isn't that the point?
  • Learning in Adulthood: A Comprehensive Guide
  • The Art of Changing the Brain: Enriching the Practice of Teaching by Exploring the Biology of Learning
  • Professional Learning Communities at Work: Best Practices for Enhancing Student Achievement
  • If You Don't Feed the Teachers They Eat the Students!: Guide to Success for Administrators and Teachers
  • The Adult Learner: The Definitive Classic in Adult Education and Human Resource Development
  • Principles of Instructional Design
  • Preparing Instructional Objectives: A Critical Tool in the Development of Effective Instruction
  • Telling Ain't Training
  • E-Learning by Design
  • The Disciplined Mind: Beyond Facts and Standardized Tests, the  K-12 Education That Every Child Deserves
  • How to Teach English
  • Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms
  • The Uses of the University
  • T.E.T., Teacher Effectiveness Training
  • Essential Linguistics: What You Need to Know to Teach Reading, ESL, Spelling, Phonics, and Grammar
  • Designing Effective Instruction
  • The Accelerated Learning Handbook: A Creative Guide to Designing and Delivering Faster, More Effective Training Programs
  • The Big Book of Team Building Games: Trust-Building Activities, Team Spirit Exercises, and Other Fun Things to Do (Big Book Series)
JANE VELLA is adjunct professor at the School of Public Health of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She is also CEO of Global Learning Partners, a consulting and training company that has grown out of JUBILEE Popular Education Center.
More about Jane Vella...