Start by marking “War of Honor (Honor Harrington, #10)” as Want to Read:
War of Honor (Honor Harrington, #10)

War of Honor (Honor Harrington #10)

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  9,738 Ratings  ·  200 Reviews
NO ONE WANTED ANOTHER WAR

Thomas Theisman didn't. After risking his life and a fresh round of civil war to overthrow the Committee of Public Safety's reign of terror and restore the Republic of Haven's ancient Constitution, an interstellar war was the last thing he wanted.

Baron High Ridge didn't. The Prime Minister of Manticore was perfectly happy with the war he had. No on

Published September 30th 2002 by Baen (first published September 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about War of Honor, please sign up.

Curtis Edmonds
Jan 02, 2013 Curtis Edmonds rated it did not like it
David Weber writes the Honor Harrington series, and the early books (those that I've read) were actually pretty good. It's high-quality space opera, starring a starship captain in the far-future version of the Royal Navy. The books are -- somewhat sketchily -- drawn from the same Napoleonic-era sources as the Aubrey-Maturin series, or the Hornblower series. (The lead bad guy in Nouveau Paris in the early books is named "Rob S. Pierre", get it?) Honor Harrington is a character in the Hornblower t ...more
Chris
May 19, 2012 Chris rated it it was ok
Jim
Sep 08, 2008 Jim rated it liked it
The basic story was again 4 stars, but this book is even thicker than the previous ones due to a lot of extra information that knocked it back a star. It wasn't always bad. There were a lot of interesting back stories & the universe is filled in to a large extent. Unfortunately, either through LONG conversations or pages of explanation, every major point is thoroughly dissected & discussed in such gory detail that I was forced to conclude that Weber thinks his readers are idiots. I wound ...more
Christian
Dec 21, 2007 Christian rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction, junk
David Weber's writing is space opera pulp claptrap in the best sense. Larger-than-life characters with extraordinary luck thump their chests and bray about honor while cursing the nitwit politicians who keep sticking them in awkward situations. Of course, enough characters die in the meantime to make it seem compelling.

The hook: Weber blatantly strip-mines the golden classics of the Age of Sail. It's Hornblower in space. It's Aubrey without Maturin, crossed with Sir Walter Drake, carrying around
Derek
This series is beginning to get tedious.

this volume contains about 75% more words than anybody could reasonably use, mostly to tell us tedious detail of the politics of Manticore. I know it's not really unbelievable that corrupt politicians could bend and break laws to their own benefit, and actually believe their own lies. after all, politicians fabricated evidence of weapons of mass destruction in Iraq and somehow managed to believe those lies too, but just because truth is stranger than ficti
JBradford
Oct 14, 2009 JBradford rated it really liked it
The thing that really hurts is the belated discovery (after I picked up this book at the library because it was the only Weber book on the shelf, when I was looking for the third book in the Armageddon Reef series) that this is in fact the tenth volume in the Honor Harrington series--which means, of course, that I either must buy the preceding nine books [yes, it is that well written:] or else order them one at a time through the interlibrary loan system. I am still unhappy with Weber’s proclivi ...more
Jamie Collins
Another entertaining entry in the saga of Honor Harrington. I can't deny that some sections of this were slow to the point of tediousness, but the last 200 pages provided the usual riveting payoff. This series is pretty cheesy space opera but sometimes it hits the spot. I've already ordered the next one.

While this book evidently wasn't edited for length, someone has taken the trouble to reduce the word and phrase repetition that was so distracting in the previous book. There is also a great deal
Laurel
Mar 10, 2010 Laurel rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
At first I was hesitant that my favorite space opera series was focusing almost an entire book on interplanetary politics. I wanted to see Honor in battle. But, I quickly became hooked by the excellent side character development, as well as the storyline. I thoroughly enjoyed the behind the scenes intrigue, as much as the eventual offensive. As always, an excellent read!
Ron
Sep 19, 2011 Ron rated it really liked it
Ah, Weber's finally broken the code. Since his re-telling of series back story has grown to 300 to 400 pages, the only way to have a decent amount of new material in a book is to pump up the total . . . in this case, to over 800 pages. Well, it worked.

Much better story telling and character development because he gave himself enough "elbow room" to tell his story.

Christopher
Oct 07, 2012 Christopher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Donna
Jun 23, 2011 Donna rated it liked it
This is the 10th book in the Honor Harrington series. It is extremely long (976 pages in paperback) and about 85% of it deals with politics. Those parts of these books have always moved the slowest for me so in some ways this was a bit of a slog, but I have to say Weber does a great job with his world building.

The plot of the book deals with the build-up to another war between Manticore and the Havenites. It is fascinating to watch the story unfold and see how two kingdoms who really don't want
Pat
Oct 26, 2014 Pat rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
David Weber employs an unfortunate writing device that causes frustration and disatisfaction in this reader. Let me describe it this way. If you spend 912 pages reading a slow political train wreck instigated by some very stupid, vain, manipulative, corrupt, dishonest, and narciscistic politicians leading to a literal war of misunderstanding between the good guys. Why can't the reader have some emotional catharsis by partaking in the come-up-ins of most of the villains. Instead, their punishment ...more
Nyssa
Sadly, I am officially abandoning this series ... at least until I retire and can dedicate as much time as I'd like to get through it.
I made 2 attempts over 6 years to complete the saga of Honor Harrington all the way through. Each time I burned out, right about when this book takes place. Its now 4 years later, and I still don't see myself completing the series anytime soon.
The most upsetting part is that regardless of how emotionally taxing, and frustrating this series has been, I've enjoyed
Baron Yeung
Feb 23, 2016 Baron Yeung rated it it was ok
Niki Beecher
Oct 15, 2014 Niki Beecher rated it it was amazing
What the one- and two-star reviewers wrote is right on point. My husband Jim and I have long enjoyed Mr. Weber's books…then when I got to "At All Costs", something changed. They all became these big, thick books with SO much filler, exposition, back story, talk-talk-talk. Eventually I've learned how to read them; when I get to the filler parts, I just glance at the first or last sentence in a paragraph (sometimes for pages and PAGES) until it gets back to something I want to read. I still enjoye ...more
***Dave Hill
Jun 03, 2012 ***Dave Hill rated it liked it
Shelves: text

[MAY 2012]

The next installment in the Honor Harrington series, this is, in some ways, the last Honor book -- as in the last of the series that focuses primarily on Harrington, vs. the ever-burgeoning cast.

The threat of war is upon the Kingdom of Manticore, but the current administration is too selfish, dimwitted, and conniving to realize it. Convinced that they have the Republic of Haven cowed by the new weapons unveiled at the end of the previous war, the Conservative/Liberal alliance is too bu
Chuck
Jul 31, 2010 Chuck rated it really liked it
46 out of 100 for 2010.

Let me warn you, this is a LONG book (over nine hundred pages). Took me more than a week to read, which is a long time for me.

That being said, it's one of my favorite in the series. In some ways, it's a more 'mature' book than earlier ones, because the book shows how good, reasonable people can do unreasonable things (like start wars) when misunderstandings occur, or people put political ideology over the best interests of their nations.

Political leadership has changed on
Thomas
Aug 03, 2007 Thomas rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Lovers of political dialogue
Shelves: sciencefiction
1. I'm on page 114 and no one is on a frikkin' space ship!

2. A month later, I have finally finished this behemoth and I have some observations, not just on 'War of Honor', but on this Honorverse Mr. Weber has created.

The starships and technology are convincing and interesting. The space battles are fascinating and fast-paced, having a consistent interior logic that he follows unerringly.

The milieu is marvelous as well, there's a map (I love maps) and different political bodies born out of a p
Kathi
May 15, 2012 Kathi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kathy Davie
Oct 03, 2010 Kathy Davie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, homey, military, action
There is something about Weber's Honor Harrington that I just can't read it fast enough. I need to find out what's going to happen next. Who's going to be affected. Will a character I adore be killed???

I guess...okay, so I'm a masochist...I also "enjoy"?? the stupid politicians and seeing them get their comeuppance however long it may take! I've always enjoyed the strategy of war and when combined with my love of gadgets...Honor Harrington is a perfect fit!

In War of Honor the tension ratchets ba
Tony Hisgett
I love David Weber’s ‘Honor Harrington’ books, absolutely brilliant stories with a great heroine. BUT could his editor please get out the red pen and remove half the waffle. I don’t need to know every single thought and the reason for those thoughts for every single character, I don’t need every single conversation explained from everybody’s perspective. All in excruciatingly excessive detail !!!!!

I do like that David loves detail but not when it detracts from the flow of the story. This book is
Joel
Jun 10, 2016 Joel rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Action decreases again and politics increases. Still an enjoyable read.
Bill Scheidegger
May 12, 2016 Bill Scheidegger rated it liked it
This one felt way to political. There was not as much action given the page count as the rest of the series has been.
Greg
Mar 23, 2016 Greg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of politics as discussed by other readers. Last chapter action.
hCharles Obert
May 05, 2017 hCharles Obert rated it it was amazing
I have read these Honor Harrington books more than once and find them to be among the most entertaining and thoughtful books and characters in this generation.

I strongly recommend these for any one who likes complex characters, dealing with troubling issues in a straight forward way.
The military setting permits the issues of "good old boy" support system that provides the easy path for incompetent, "well connected" people while throwing road blocks in the path of the right person for the job as
Donald Ray Wilson Jr.
Love the series

Well written and very engaging, a must read for fans of military science fiction. David Weber at his best. If you love Star Wars or Star Trek you will fall in love with the Honorverse.
DALE L STEINACKER
Intriguing page turner

This continues the sage by keeping political intrigue, interstellar politics in play. As always, Webers discussions of human nature and mentoring is excellent.
Desiree
Jul 17, 2017 Desiree rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The book is too long and focuses too much on details. Much of the plot could have been hinted at and explained in conversations, rather than described. But I cannot resist any Honor books so I'll insist with the series hoping that the next is back to its old standard
Barbara
Jan 18, 2017 Barbara rated it really liked it
Excellent read but a bid too technical but that's alright with me because it is always a good story.
Liz Wood
Mar 22, 2017 Liz Wood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honor comes through ... again

An incredible sequence of corruption mixed with strands of deceit back the Manticoreans into a political corner even as the Peeps expand their capabilities and try to diminish the bloodshed.
Honorverse: Baseball and Cricket 1 12 Jul 26, 2014 11:28PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: War of Honor by David Weber 1 1 Dec 28, 2013 03:28PM
  • Audacious (Kris Longknife, #5)
  • An Officer's Duty (Theirs Not to Reason Why, #2)
  • The Far Side of the Stars (Lt. Leary, #3)
  • Cally's War (Posleen War: Cally's War, #1)
  • Engaging the Enemy (Vatta's War, #3)
David Mark Weber is an American science fiction and fantasy author. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1952.

Many of his stories have military, particularly naval, themes, and fit into the military science fiction genre. He frequently places female leading characters in what have been traditionally male roles.

One of his most popular and enduring characters is Honor Harrington whose alliterated name
More about David Weber...

Honor Harrington (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington, #1)
  • The Honor of the Queen (Honor Harrington, #2)
  • The Short Victorious War (Honor Harrington, #3)
  • Field of Dishonor (Honor Harrington, #4)
  • Flag in Exile (Honor Harrington, #5)
  • Honor Among Enemies (Honor Harrington, #6)
  • In Enemy Hands (Honor Harrington, #7)
  • Echoes of Honor (Honor Harrington, #8)
  • Ashes of Victory (Honor Harrington, #9)
  • At All Costs (Honor Harrington, #11)

“There's a reason I've always relied on you for the necessary political miracles, Emily," Hamish told her with a smile. "Give me a fleet problem, or a naval battle to fight, and I “know exactly what to do. But dealing with scum like High Ridge and Descroix—?" He shook his head. "I just can't wrap my mind around how to handle them."
"Be honest, dear," Emily corrected him gently. "It's not that you really can't do it, and you know it. It's that you get so furious with them that you wind up climbing onto your high moral horse so you can ride them under the hooves of your righteous fury. But when you close your knight errant's helmet, the visibility through that visor is just a little limited, isn't it?”
1 likes
“She really should be careful about imputing sordid motives to the First Lord. Not because she doubted that he had them, but because not even Sir Edward Janacek could have only sordid motivations. That would have completely devalued his ability to do such things out of simple stupidity, instead of calculation.” 1 likes