Start by marking “Beauty is the Beast, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Beauty is the Beast, Vol. 1

Beauty is the Beast, Vol. 1

(Beauty is the Beast #1)

When bubbly eleventh-grader Eimi Yamashita finds out that her parents are relocating for work, she decides to strike out on her own and move into a dormitory for girls. Little does Eimi suspect the exciting romantic adventures that await her there!

Eimi's fellow residents are a little bit crazy, but a whole lot of fun. They've got a secret mission planned for Eimi's new re

Published November 1st 2005 by VIZ Media LLC (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Beauty is the Beast, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beauty is the Beast, Vol. 1

Sarah ~Sehrenity~
Jul 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
I'm a sucker for stories where the bad boy is just a misunderstood sweetheart, and the girl is a goofy clueless-wonder who has a knack for seeing everyone for who they truly are. I can't wait for the next volumes to come!
Jamie
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga-manwha
This took me awhile to get into. Still not sure what I think. The art is okay. Not the greatest but some bad parts are intentional, therefore leaving mixed thoughts. At first, the characters made no sense and they just started to toward the end. So the first 2 chapters had my nearly DNFing it. Honestly I thought I would push through this volume but that would be it. This ended at an okay enough level to be willing to continue, since it is a short series.
Sylwia (Wish Fulfillment)
I like the protagonist and how well she understood her own attraction. I like her roommate and their friend, and how out-of-the-box both the roommate and friend were in terms of their characterization (one is very into what people look like and the other is into lacey underwear???) The love interest was interesting and the scenes with him were nice. But I needed a plot, much more detail, smoother transitions, and ongoing conflicts, where there aren't any, so this series is not for me.
Sharon Mariampillai
Actual Rating: 3.5

This was an enjoyable manga. I do hope that the rest of the manga does get better because this volume showed a lot of potential to where the manga could go. I did enjoy it, but I thought that there could have been more done to the story. I thought the story was slow at the beginning, but picked up during the last few chapters of the manga. I thought the characters were great. I cannot wait to read volume 2. Overall, a great read.
Estara
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Yue
There are several things I do not like that much in this manga, but there are also a couple of things I like a lot. I like Eimi, the main character. She looks more like a little girl instead of a teen, but she is nice, does not cry as most main girls in a shoujo, and her chibis are very funny. She is, basically, very normal and likeable.

Wanibuchi, as the main male character, is also interesting. He is supposed to be dangerous, but he does not intimidate Eimi at all, and they get along pretty we
Amy-beth
This is just my review on book one:
First impressions: I was sooo excited it was a beauty and the beast typish novel I was on cloud nine!

I liked the main character Eimi and her "beast" my problem lies with the secondary characters.

Misao- just seems flat to me.. And is obsessed with women's bodies? I donno... Just doesn't do anything for me at all!!!

Suzu- looks to much like a boy. I think even her 'panty' obsession could be more liked especially if the guy she liked didnt look like her twin. I ho
Dana
Aug 18, 2009 rated it it was ok
The story was kind of cute and I liked the art but the characters were not well written. I got no sense of their personalities at all. I probably won’t read the next volume.
Kristin El
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga, comics
Very disjointed plot like reading comic strips one after the other. The translation is really bad. Also hard to tell who was male and who was female. I read a lot of manga and usually that isn't a problem for me.
amal
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this manga, this manga it was so good and I need to read the second one
Anna 'Bookbuyer'
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: to-sort
Starzee
Dec 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Nawwwww, Eimi is so cute! She's so adorable and innocent and thoughtful.

I've been wanting to read this manga series for ages and I finally found an online place to read it.
It's completely unrealistic and that's what makes it such a hoot to read. I had a feeling I would really enjoy this and I did! Typical Japanese style comic where the innocent girl takes a liking to the unapproachable bad boy type, who actually turns out to be nice at heart, or at least nice to the girl.

It was so hilariously f
Dexter
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
At first, I wasn't overly impressed, and expected to not like it. The art is good, but not super clean or anything. There were many times when I was confused about who was speaking or what exactly was going on. I get confused about the characters too, because they either all look the same or aren't given a lot of introduction time, making it hard for me to learn who they are. I'm starting to get it, but honestly there's still only three people whose names I know.

Despite all this... I'm such a su
Starbubbles
Dec 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
This was not at all what I expected. Maybe I should have paid closer attention to the actual description of the book instead of making my own assumptions about it based off the title. I was thinking it would be something about fashion, someone beastly, modeling... nope, not really. It was a really cute series though. I'm glad I got it at the library and not by purchasing. I would have been a tad sad then. Anyway- slightly dated artistic style, but I didn't notice it much after the second volume. ...more
Laura (ローラ)
This is one of my favourite shoujo series (considering how much I read, says a lot for it). I love Matsumoto's delicate art style combined with a story relatively devoid of angst (at least on the girl's side). Eimi is the perfect protagonist fully-formed; she already knows exactly who she is. And it's this characterization which becomes the catalyst for Wanibuchi's own self-revelation.

It's lightly funny, lightly romantic, and mostly just a slice-of-high-school-living-in-dorms-kind-of-life. It's
Melissa
Jul 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Eh. I read this series in it entirety and it left me feeling kinda emotionally ambivalent.

Its an ending that may be true to life (there is no true ending and the story continues I guess is the message), but thats not why I read this stuff.

The artwork style is not my favorite. It seems that the artist needs to work on their ability to draw faces. The main characters are a little hard to relate too.
Kricket
Feb 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is absolutely hilarious. Eimi moves to a dorm to finish high school because her parents have transferred elsewhere. Which means...dorm hijinks! Sneaking over to the boy's building, apprehending pervy old pantie thieves, finding out that suzu has a shameful secret fetish...completely bizarre. Of course I loved it.
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
I mean it has its moments and it reminds me of other manga I read where you have a misunderstand bad boy and the bubbly main character or something like that. Basically a good start, interesting at times.
Samantha wickedshizuku Tolleson
Apr 19, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Manga fans
Recommended to Samantha wickedshizuku by: Shoujo Beat
Honestly this series just wasn't my cup of tea. I liked the art style, but the series lacked a more exciting plot. In six months time you probably won't even remember what you liked so much about it, or that you had even read it.
Avery Engstrom
Apr 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Ohhh my goodness xD I love the two fetishes of Misao and Suzu, so hilarious!! And Eimi is the BEST of them all! Her nicknames... Oh wow, Wanichin and Nuinui xD It's useful because it makes the names easier to remember...
Dorcas
Apr 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
It's billed as a romantic school dorm comedy. Which seems kind of bland, however the main character, Eimi, is a bit of an oddball and connects with the bad boy of the school. Later volumes start to drag.
Emily Farrar
Apr 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Really funny!! Although Eimi is sometimes a little too... oblivious. Too out of it. But she is really cute.
Chili Public
Cute little bit of fluff.
Alex Mortensen
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Me and megan decided to pick out a random book for eachother, and this is the one she chose for me to read. And since it's manga she thinks I should have to read 2. Erg.
Lucinda
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, 2016
This was a really cute start. I love how Eimi just got weirder and fit right in with the rest of the dorm girls.
Cathy
Cute little bit of fluff.
Harsha
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
It's one of those hidden gems in the Shoujo genre. If you like this, you should check out the mangaka's other works. Totally lovable characters.
Nina {ᴡᴏʀᴅs ᴀɴᴅ ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀ}
Fufufu I really don't get the protagonist. She's so strange.
Kathleen
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet and funny look at segregated dorm life! There's not a lot happening at the school; most of the action revolves around sneaking out of the dorms, inter-dorm romances, and so forth.

• Cat Street, Vol. 3 (Cat Street #3)
  • Penguin Revolution: Volume 3
  • Rasetsu, Vol. 6
  • Happy Café, Volume 14
  • Honey Hunt, Vol. 5
  • Crimson Hero, Vol. 1 (Crimson Hero, # 1)
  • のだめカンタービレ 23
  • Natsume's Book of Friends, Vol. 10
  • Your and My Secret, Vol. 1
  • Tramps Like Us, Volume 4
  • Emma, Vol. 10
  • Punch!, Vol. 2 (Punch!, #2)
  • The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 2
  • Platinum Garden, Volume 1
  • Love Arrow
  • Jiu Jiu, Vol. 1

Beauty is the Beast (5 books)
  • Beauty is the Beast, Vol. 2