Start by marking “Honor Among Enemies (Honor Harrington, #6)” as Want to Read:
Honor Among Enemies (Honor Harrington, #6)

Honor Among Enemies (Honor Harrington #6)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  13,658 Ratings  ·  206 Reviews
In this sixth outing, Honor is invited to rejoin the Royal Manticoran Navy at the instigation of some of her worst enemies. The RMN has withdrawn from the Silesian Confederacy in an effort to focus on its war with the People's Republic of Haven and the shipping cartels have been losing vessels: cargo, crews and all. Klaus Hauptmann sees a glorious opportunity: invite Honor ...more
Published June 1st 1997 by Baen (first published June 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Honor Among Enemies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Honor Among Enemies

Mike (the Paladin)
I came very close for a while to dropping the score for this book even lower. I've enjoyed the series to this point but here..it became a bit of a strain to stay with it for a while.

In my own opinion, you could pretty much skip the first third of this book, and miss little or nothing of value to the story. Rehashing and retelling, unneeded details that I suppose some relish. (After all, soap operas have thrived for generations now on details of private lives about this outrageous.) I got very ti
Mr. Matt
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
I picked up this book because I had a science fiction / star ship battles itch I wanted to scratch. I had reservations about the Honorverse after reading the last few, but I recalled that the author did nail the ship to ship combat. Unfortunately, I was disappointed. The things I recalled not liking I still didn't like. The things I thought that I'd like, I was mostly meh over.

First, some background. Disgraced and forced out of the Navy, Honor Harrington has built a new life for herself on Grays
Jim
Sep 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Ok, the info dumps are a bit rough, but Weber is also trying to fill in too much past history, too. That makes this a bit rougher of a read than the previous books or maybe I've just had my fill. I definitely could not listen to this as an audio book. I needed to be able to skim.

The basic story is good & pretty interesting, although it would have been better served if it hadn't focused on her so completely. There was plenty of opportunity to expand the story & not using that was kind of
Lindsey
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honor takes on pirates with an under-strength squadron as a means of rehabilitating her political standing in the Star Kingdom. This is the last of the main Honorverse books to not be centered around the main fighting with Haven.

Honor herself is, as always, a little too perfect to be believable but if you're this far in the series, you know what to expect. Weber further populates this installment with new and old interesting side characters (Foraker, Caslet, Harkness, MacBride, etc.) and gives r
James
The Honor Harrington series rolls onwards with Honor Among Enemies. Our heroine starts the story still living out her comfortable exile from Manticore as a Steadholder of Grayson. But, obviously, she really longs – deep down – to be back in the Manticorian Navy captaining a ship of the wall. As luck would have it, Manticore is engaged in a heavy war with the People's Republic of Haven and doesn't have enough ships or crew to protect it's merchant shipping at the same time. In a storyline somewha ...more
Shaun Thomas
Apr 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
I promised myself that Honor Among Enemies would be my last David Weber for a while, but I've already started In Enemy Hands. Ah well.

This particular entry is pretty tame so far as the Honor Harrington Mythos is concerned. In order to get back into the good graces of the Manticoran military and political complex, Honor is given the task of ridding the Silesian Confederacy area of the pirates menacing their merchant and freight liners. Her task force consists of four converted and heavily armed m
Chris
Jan 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Kathy Davie
Sep 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
First read September 8, 2010.

Christ, I kept trying to go to sleep, and Honor kept waking me up...I just could not put the book down and got to sleep...finally...about 5am. Man, Weber is GOOD. He pulls you into the action and you can't help but identify with all the characters.

Military sci-fi at its best. And, if you like the technical stuff, this is it.
Ron
Sep 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
A better-than-average Honor Harrington, which are better-than-average space operas. Enough complexity and depth to keep the reader mentally engaged.

Nimitz falls in love. Oh, my.

The Horatio Hornblower reference was cute.

A good read.
Allan
Jul 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Honor Among Enemies, is the sixth book in the Honor Harrington series. I almost want to call this book On Basilisk Station part 2 because there are a lot of parallels to be drawn between the two books, I will get into that later. In this book Honor is offered a new command in her native Manticore Navy. Currently, she is a full admiral in the Grayson navy, in fact she is its second ranking officer. The new command she is offered in the Manticoran navy is vastly inferior, she is to command a squad ...more
Casey
Dec 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Honor Among Enemies read simpler than previous Honor books. There seemed to be less substance, less antagonist povs and political plotting.

Pirate ships have been attacking merchant ships around Silesia, many of them Manticoran. Because of the war, the military doesn't have many resources spare. Due to the insistence of the wealthy merchants, the Manticores re-fit some merchant ships with heavy firepower, and a few other modifications. These ships, known as Q-ships, should be able to deceive the
Guy
Jun 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
I should probably give this one five stars too since it is still better than the vast majority of science fiction books that I have read. However, since it is a little weaker than the other books in the series so far, I'll dock it a star pour encourager les autres.

It reads a little like an intermezzo between the first half of the series, which took Honor (the main character) from a relative unknown to fame and fortune then exile. This book brings her back from exile and sets her up for further a
Jamie Collins
Another entertaining entry in this series, but good grief at the body count. This episode is Honor vs. Space Pirates, who have been attacking Manticore merchant ships while the RMN is distracted by the war. The pirates turn out to be much nastier than the Peeps, who are the honorable enemies referred to by the title.

William
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's too bad some of the political meetings go on and on, rehashing the same info a lot. Otherwise this would be 5-star stuff.

Some great characters and situations.

As always, the space battles and daily space activities are fascinating and superbly well-done, even after 6 books!

Sable
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book was a big disappointment after the last two in the series.

Don't get me wrong; it's still worth reading, it's full of dramatic tension, and you have to understand what went on here in order to understand the rest of the novels, but it bogs down in most of the first half with painful infodumps and the "downer" of Honor returning to the Manticoran Navy to a position well beneath her talents that puts her in an entirely unnecessary situation. I appreciate the realism of having good people
Joshua Zucker
Jun 21, 2013 rated it liked it
A decent book in this series, not great but not horrible. There is a bit of actual character development this time, but slightly too predictable in ... a lot of places. Definitely some wish-fulfillment kinds of things -- the nerdy character who takes up martial arts training, for instance.

Lots of horrible things happen to people, and one of the things that keeps me reading Weber's stuff is that he doesn't take those horrible things lightly -- people care, people get PTSD, people need to be nurse
Paraphrodite
Feb 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
This book is really long... had to skim through a lot of techno-babble as well as lots of geographic and historical backstory stuff. It would have been better if they were put as footnotes / appendices instead for those of us who are already familiar with the series or are really not that interested!

At the heart is still a rousing adventure with lots of moves and counter-moves by all sorts of parties and of course, lots of deaths and casualties... :(

A good installment, albeit overly long.

But a
Mayank Agarwal
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fiction
David Weber went over board with the science info dump and background history on Honorverse. The plot is good but the writing was horrible and really difficult to read.

This is the biggest of the Harrington book with 544 pages. Of them almost 400 are useless stuff which one would want to skip. It's only the last 100 pages which are a fun read.

Too many background characters and potential story's were introduced but the focus on info dump never got the author to expend on them. This book really t
Suzanne
Jan 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the main story a lot - the building of a cohesive crew, the fight against overwhelming odds, and the humanity and inhumanity shown by both sides in the conflict. However, I must admit I probably lightly skimmed about 1/3 of the book - the long-winded explanations of history, tech, etc. are just not my cup of tea.
Cloak88
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A proper continuation of an excellent series.

If you have read the previous novels you'll know what to expect. HH6 is a continuation on that where Honor returns to the Manticore Navy to hunt for pirates and so regain her Manticoren naval command.
Expect more interesting characters, a wealth of personal touches and intricate battles-scenes.

On to HH7
Elaine Dowling
Dec 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Yes, Harrington and her career are becoming way too implausible. Still, this book was complicated, the plot developed from different directions. There were some interesting developments (especially involving Nimitz). It was a look up and realize it is 2:30 a.m. on a work night kind of book.
Denis Barlow
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The more I read of this series the better it gets (for me anyway) the mixture of science fiction and naval terminology is fascinating. On to the next one!
Mandy Galileo
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Bring me more Honor!! Weber's writing really brings the characters and the story alive.
Katrin von Martin
Jun 19, 2015 rated it liked it
This is the sixth book in the Honor Harrington series, and at over 500 pages, it's one of the longest. In some ways, this works for the book, and in some ways against it, but more on that later. This is not the best in the series (in fact, I think this will be my last Harrington book for a while), but it's certainly not the worst. Spoilers follow.

As with the other novels in the series, the plot is compelling and interesting, pulling various aspects of Weber's created universe together and keep
Chris Kane
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid story ultimately

There was something in the plot line of this that made me say "C'mon, really?" but couldn't for the life of me remember what it was by the end of the book because of the last 50 pages. Honor is turning out to be one of my all-time favorite characters.
Jan
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love them been onboard from the first novel. Just the besties.
Hristyuk Vitaliy
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Honor Harrington returned to Her Majesty service... in power!
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
This edition has an exploding spaceship flip book graphic. The plot almost lived up to that.
J.L. Dobias
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: SFF military-suspense-intrigue lovers
Shelves: book-shelf-09
Honor Among Enemies by David Weber (Book 6 Honor Harrington series)

Having no power for 8 days seemed like the prime time to catch up on the Honor Series. Honor Among Enemies seemed like the turning point for me. The previous 5 my mind would go numb and white noise would start when all the exposition about tactics and armament would begin. I know they are important to the big plot of the series but I was in this for Honor. This book David Weber seems to have perfected whatever it is he's been try
Scott Holstad
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
While this isn't my favorite Honor Harrington book, I really can't think of any reason not to give it five stars, so that's what I'm doing. In this book, Honor is still an admiral in the Grayson Navy, but Manticore comes crawling back to her, begging her to rejoin their navy as a mere captain to lead a four ship squadron of Q ships in the Silesian Confederacy area, where pirates are destroying merchant shipping and crews. It's an ugly invitation, but she wants back in the Manticoran Navy so badl ...more
  • Intrepid (Kris Longknife, #6)
  • Marque and Reprisal (Vatta's War, #2)
  • Lt. Leary, Commanding (Lt. Leary, #2)
  • When the Devil Dances (Posleen War, #3)
  • An Officer's Duty (Theirs Not to Reason Why, #2)
David Mark Weber is an American science fiction and fantasy author. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1952.

Many of his stories have military, particularly naval, themes, and fit into the military science fiction genre. He frequently places female leading characters in what have been traditionally male roles.

One of his most popular and enduring characters is Honor Harrington whose alliterated name
More about David Weber...

Honor Harrington (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington, #1)
  • The Honor of the Queen (Honor Harrington, #2)
  • The Short Victorious War (Honor Harrington, #3)
  • Field of Dishonor (Honor Harrington, #4)
  • Flag in Exile (Honor Harrington, #5)
  • In Enemy Hands (Honor Harrington, #7)
  • Echoes of Honor (Honor Harrington, #8)
  • Ashes of Victory (Honor Harrington, #9)
  • War of Honor (Honor Harrington, #10)
  • At All Costs (Honor Harrington, #11)
“We will maintain heading until he's committed, then I want a hard
skew-turn to starboard. As hard as you can make it, Chief. I want our starboard broadside on him as he passes below us, and then I want to cut down across his stern and stick it right up his kilt. Clear? (Honor Harrington)”
10 likes
“Na zlomeček věčnosti oběma lodím nic nebránilo ve volné střelbě na protivníka a v tom okamžiku dva různé počítače odstartovaly své palebné plány.
Žádný lidský smysl nedokázal postřehnout, co se odehrálo potom; žádný lidský mozek by si to neuměl přebrat. Vzájemná vzdálenost činila dvacet tisíc kilometrů a řízené střely, lasery a grasery dštily zkázu přes tu miniaturní propast vakua jako rozzuření démoni.
Ahmed zavrávoral, když jeho bočním štítem bez námahy prošel první graserový svazek. Jeho boky byly opatřeny metrovým pancířem z nejtvrdší slitiny keramiky a kompozitu, jakou se člověk doposud naučil odlévat, a přesto se jí graser prodral pohrdavě snadno. Od strašlivé rány se rozlétly obrovské úlomky a vzájemný pohyb lodi změnil to, co by bývalo kruhovým otvorem, v dlouhou zející trhlinu. Paprsek rozpáral bok lodi, jako když vyvrhovací nůž rozpáře žraloka, a z rány vytryskl vířící cyklon vzduchu, trosek a lidských těl.
Ale to byl pouze jeden z osmi takových graserů. Všechny do jednoho zaznamenaly přímé zásahy a na bitevním křižníku nikoho ani ve snu nenapadlo, že by přestavěná obchodní loď mohla nést takové zbraně. Zatímco si zuřivý úder Poutníka s křižníkem pohrával, komunikační obvody zahlcovala kakofonie výkřiků bolesti, šoku i hrůzy a potom se přihnaly řízené střely Q lodě a znovu a znovu křižník probodávaly jednorannými lasery, aby dokončily strašlivé dílo graserů. Zbraňová stanoviště se rozlétala na kusy, výboje bláznivě sršely a kabely syčely, pukaly a explodovaly. Příďová místnost gravitoru vybuchla, když jeden graser zasáhl naplno generátory, a tlaková vlna změnila sto metrů pancéřovaného trupu v pokroucené trosky. Všechny tři fúzní jednotky se automaticky nouzově zastavily a po celé lodi se zavírala vzduchotěsná vrata. Ale v příliš mnoha případech neměla ta vrata v čem zadržovat vzduch, neboť grasery Poutníka se propálily naskrz celým trupem a křižník se převaloval v prostoru jako umírající bezmocný vrak. Ale nezahynul sám. Poutník vypálil o zlomek sekundy dříve než Ahmed - ale jen o zlomeček a na rozdíl od Ahmeda neměl žádný pancíř a žádná hermeticky uzavíratelná oddělení. Byla to obchodní loď, jenom tenká slupka kolem obrovského prázdného prostoru pro náklad, a to nemohla žádná přestavba změnit. Zbraně, které přežily, aby se mohly zakousnout do jeho trupu, byly mnohem lehčí než ty, jež rozpáraly Ahmeda, ale proti tak zranitelnému cíli byly děsivě účinné.
Celý pravobok od přepážky třicet jedna dozadu po přepážku šedesát pět byl na padrť. Prázdné doky LAC se rozlétly jako rozšlápnuté sklenice. Zásobníky dva a čtyři byly roztrhány na kusy, stejně jako všechny výmetnice kromě čísla dva. Šest z osmi graserových stanovišť vybuchlo a prakticky celá jejich obsluha zahynula. Jeden laser se prořízl až k jádru lodě, zničil fúzní reaktor jedna a prorazil palubní vězení, z něhož už Randy Steilman a jeho druhové nikdy neměli vyjít před soud, a další se prořízl až na samotnou velitelskou palubu. Můstek zametla tlaková vlna, přepážky a podélníky se trhaly jako papír a zuřící hurikán vytrhl Jennifer Hughesovou navzdory tlumícímu postroji z křesla a odnesl ji do prostoru mimo loď. Její tělo už nikdo nikdy nenajde, ale na tom sotva záleželo, protože svištící příval atmosféry s ní udeřil o okraj trhliny v trupu a na místě jí roztříštil přilbu. John Kanehama zaječel do interkomu, když ho jako oštěp probodla dlouhá letící tříska slitiny. Staršího seržanta O’Haleyho přesekl vejpůl plochý úlomek, dlouhý jako on sám, a Aubrey Wanderman se pozvracel do přilby, když tentýž úlomek prolétl mezi osazenstvem jeho stanoviště a roztrhal Carolyn Wolcotovou a poručíka Jansena.
Tento výjev z pekla se po obrovském trupu Poutníka opakoval znovu a znovu. Další výbuchy a odletující trosky zasahovaly lidi, které minula palba Ahmeda, jako by se umírající loď mstila posádce za to, do čeho ji přivedla, a HMS Poutník se potácivě převaloval pryč s nefunkčním pohonem, zničeným hypergenerátorem a s osmi sty mrtvými a umírajícími lidmi v rozbitých odděleních.”
1 likes