Start by marking “The Short Victorious War (Honor Harrington, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Short Victorious War (Honor Harrington, #3)

The Short Victorious War

(Honor Harrington #3)

The proles are revolting.
The families who rule the People's Republic of Haven are in trouble. The treasury's empty, the Proles are restless, and civil war is imminent.

But the ruling class knows what they need to keep in power; another short, victorious war to unite the people and fill the treasury once more. It's a card they've played often in the last half-century, always
Published April 1st 1994 by Baen

To ask other readers questions about The Short Victorious War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Short Victorious War

Mr. Matt
Dec 27, 2013 rated it liked it
I think I've made up my mind about the Honor Harrington books. They are solid three star books. That doesn't mean that they are bad or that I won't read more of them. Three star books are good. They are fun. They just aren't great - and that is OK.

The Honor Harrington books are the book equivalent of big budget Hollywood action flicks. There are gargantuan space battles between the good guys and the bad guys. Think beam weapons, nuclear tipped missiles, and exploding space ships. The Short Vict
Bradley
Aug 14, 2018 rated it liked it
I have no real complaints about these books other than the fact that they're straight space opera that are entirely mil-SF. In the first book of the series, I was thrilled to get to know all the misfit characters and see how Honor won them over by being just plain awesome and win actual fights at super-long odds, but the same kind of formula doesn't quite work for me a second and third time.

She's already an established badass. Even when super-wounded in the previous one, she got up and led every
Mike (the Paladin)
The Honor Harrington books are excellent (so far anyway). This one is no exception. The characters are well drawn and the political situations if not deep and intricate are recognizable and told in a way that will either bring a nod of the head, a chuckle, or possibly tick you off if you disagree too strenuously with Weber.

Honor's career has moved forward in spite of a few glitches...like the enmity of certain powerful members of the Peerage and some of her superiors who think she's somewhat of
Jim
Sep 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Honor continues to shine & this fairly short book opens several cans of worms that can really extend the series. This added to the depth of the series promising more fun in the future. I can't wait.

There are still some info dumps, but at least one was shoved into the back as an appendix. Much of the information was contained in the first book & shouldn't have been. I skimmed it, but it's not really needed.

The map in the front of the book is informative - too much so. Don't look at the le
James
The Short Victorious War is the third book in the Honor Harrington series and covers the plans by the People's Republic of Haven's attempts to initiate a war with the Manticorians in order to distract their own internal political grumblings against a common enemy, as well as, hopefully, win the war to refill the republic's emptying coffers. For those who have read the previous two books in the series, there is little of surprise here. Honor and the surrounding cast remains the mostly the same. H ...more
Troy G
Dec 01, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
There are problems with this book. The mainly stem from the fact that there are no realistic characters in the honorverse. There is Honor who is the best that ever lived. She is always right, always perfect, and most important to David Weber, she has a vagina.

Then the rest of the cast is divided into 3 elements. 1) People who irrationally hate Honor. 2) People who irrationally love Honor. and 3) People who get their butt kick by honor to establish her perfection.

There are some Military Sci Fi
Christine
2.5 really.

This is the third Honor book that I've and I'm reading them in order. This book isn't bad, it's a little better than okay.

The second book in this series (The Honor of the Queen) looks at a female officer forced to work in a culture where women are second class citzens. In some ways, this book feels like he is going over something similar. This is because everyone who doubts Honor in this book is male and, therefore, either (a) dumb (b) evil or (c) both. Weber seems to want to talk abo
Shaun Thomas
Mar 29, 2010 rated it liked it
I just finished The Short Victorious War by David Weber and I'm starting to notice a pattern here:

1. Honor Harrington thrust into difficult situation complicated by politics.
2. Honor thwarts an invasion while overcoming said politics.
3. Profit.

Now, I understand these have to be somewhat formulaic, and this book was in fact, enjoyable, so I can't complain excessively here. The real weakness of this book is that it's so short, and Honor plays such a minimal part in the action. I'd almost even call
Casey
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
Close to three stars, but I hit such a block when reading the middle of this book. It took me a week to get through one chapter.

The Short Victorious War is an idea by the People's Republic of Haven to draw Manticore into a war, in order to distract their populace from the unrest and widespread economic and political issues on Haven.

In the beginning, Honor is recovering from a head wound, and is adapting to a new bionic eye. She is called back to duty, and assumes command of the ship Nike as the
Oni
Feb 22, 2014 rated it liked it
This is the weakest link in the series so far.

The clash in Yeltsin Star has started the conflict between Haven Republic and Manticore Kingdom. The Haven Republic, as always, denied any involvement. But nevertheless the tension is rising.

I am actually glad, because in this novel, we know more about what happened in the Havenite side. It brings more balance to the story, now we know what happened at the other side. The admiralty of Manticoran Navy is also troubled by the deployment of the task for
Sean
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
The third novel in David Weber's "Honor Harrington" series continues the story of Honor Harrington as she recovers from wounds received in battle and is given command of a new battlecruiser. Honor and her crew begin putting the ship through its paces, but we know that it won't be long before military action is required and Honor fights again against the forces of The People's Republic of Haven.

David Weber has done a fine job of directly transfering Napoleonic naval warfare stories into a science
Jim
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I swear these books are as bad as chips. Can't eat (read/listen to) just one! Johnson read this one much better. The politics got better as did the war & personal situations. Made for a great story.

Weber is still a bit repetitious & tends to obscure rather than make points through his use of different units of measurement for acceleration. This is unfortunate, but I just went with it. On to the next after listening to another of London's stories.
Ron
Sep 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Typical Harrington tale: by audacity as much as good sense Honor carries the day. Getting formulaic, but a fun read.
Daydreamer
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Honor Harrington 3 by David Weber

5/5 stars

Synopsis:
In this book the Republic of Haven tries to use a war against Manticoe to hush up their problems with their home affairs. Honor is sent to a base near one of their targets. And so she soon has to fight against a superior fleet.

My thoughts..

…about the story
There aren’t so many clichés and the plot brings quite a few surprises with it. Of course, the idea isn’t new, but I really like the way it was put into words here.
The plot is logical and I
Niall Teasdale
Even though Nimitz didn't get to rip anyone's face of in this book, I think this was the most enjoyable one in the series so far.

The battle sequences and such were, as usual, brilliantly done. Honor was awesome. The Haven thing finals comes to some sort of head and Havenite butts are kicked (at the usual enormous cost).

Honor also gets some personal advancement (beyond her career) and while it's welcome, there comes the criticism: Weber seems unable to handle romance. Some people probably conside
mixal
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
There is some development in the characters, but overall quite anti-climactic. I am also not sure I like the the implicit ideological assumptions the book is covertly endorsing...
NePo
Mar 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
1/3 of the book: nothing happened.
2/3 of the book: only minor incidents. Some people who did appear in the book before died.
But we have nice battle at the end that makes reader feel happy.
Simone
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Short Victorious War is the third book in the Honor Harrington series by David Weber, and it is truly the book that kicks off the hostilities between The Star Kingdom of Manticore and The People’s Republic of Haven proper. This book is based around the initial stages of a war that neither space society wishes to fight, but one that both are expecting.

Haven is a society based upon conquest, or rather, it is one that is now reliant upon conquest to continue to function. It is an interesting ca
Simone
Dec 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The growing tension between the People's Republic of Haven and The Star Kingdom of Manticore form the basis for this novel's storyline. The previous novels have each described situations in which first Haven and then Manticore attempt to establish lines in the sand upon which to wage the coming war. Both times Haven's efforts were prevented in large part by the actions of Honor Harrington.

The primary aspect of this novel that I enjoyed was the way in which Honor's actions as a individual did not
Agnieszka "Aeth" Jędrzejczyk
As much as I liked the two previous books, this one I struggled to enjoy. First of all, the plot lacked enough focus to me: on the one side, we have Havenites plotting their war, on the other we have Manticore basically being hight and mighty, and in the middle of this is Honor, who, despite having nothing really to do, is still the embodiment of virtue and perfection (which, I have to say, by this point it's starting to get a bit old...)

So while the previous books had actual reasons to actively
Travis Starnes
Mar 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
The third book in the Honor Harrington Series this book keeps up the tradition set by the first two. Although it does have some points where it drops off, it is an all-around good read for fans for serial science fiction.

We are back shipside after having large portions of the last book with Honor planet bound. It truly is nice to see Harrington back in her element. We get almost as much intrigue here as we did in the previous installment in the series coupled with larger scale space combat.

Honor
Tom
Mar 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Both happy and sad at the structure of the novel. The story was great, let me get that out of the way! If you at all like Weber's Honor Harrington, you will love this novel. I'll just say it answers a few questions about Honor herself and Haven.
I only have two complaints.
1) you only witness one of the three major ending battles in the book (not a spoiler, this is a military fantasy book, you know there is going to be a battle)
2) it was hard to keep track of what was going on in Haven.
I just th
Michael Burnam-Fink
May 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, war, sci-fi
Honorverse #3 sees the Big Show kick off, as Manticore and the People's Republic of Haven finally start the war that they've been dancing around-and as always Honor is right in the center, commanding the state-of-the-art Battlecruiser Nike in defense of critical forward base. Good intelligence on the part of the peeps and command errors above leave Honor's squadron badly outgunned by Dreadnoughts, and it's up to her tactical brilliance and guts to save the day.

That said, this is where the series
Niels Bugge
Oct 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: real-sci-fi
Some of the strategic stuff broke suspension of disbelief (view spoiler)

But overall good entertainment.
And I'm very positively surprised about the quality to size ratio of this book.

Many series authors suffer from accelerating page inflation, where each book get thicker and thicker because side-stories and secondary characters cro
Alys
Dec 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one largely because of the reveal of the People's Republic of Haven as more than just a 2-dimensional boogey-man out in space harassing our intrepid heroine and her people. It was a welcome deepening of the world-building and character development for the series.

It was less action-packed than the first two, and the conflict within the members of the Manticore Navy was roughly the same as the first two, but strangely enough, it didn't get old or repetitive. At least, not yet, and
Weenie
Aug 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Been a while since I last read an Honor Harrington book and I'd forgotten how much I liked them. This one had more of a personal edge, delving a little more into Honor's past and the focus on her relationships made her seem more human.

More politics in this book too, which provided an interesting backstory. Then of course there are the epic space battles which Weber does so well! A great read overall.
Mitchell
Pretty much the same formula. But a little bit more from the Peeps perspective, which most of the time I find to be just irritating. A moment of happiness for Honor, a lot of death for everyone else. We do get to meet Michelle Henke. But not a whole lot of Grayson in this one, nor a whole lot from Nimitz. But not too much on the technology or the battle, perhaps just enough. Call it 3.5 of 5.
Paraphrodite
Feb 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Had to skim through a lot of the battle tactics ..... I know, I know, this is military sci-fi but still, all those moves and counter-moves and guessing games get a bit too tiresome after a while.

A bit more personal development on Honor's front - from an unlikely source. But hardly any ninja treecat action!

I'm glad that all the technical stuff got put into an appendix...
Kirsten "Ghost Deserved Better"
Not quite as good as the first two books in the series, but still a rollicking adventure! Honor Harrington is one of the best female characters out there and she doesn't disappoint. The political machinations in Haven and Manticore are also a great asset to this series. Can't wait for Book #4.
Kathy Davie
Feb 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
First read August 15, 2010.

• Rules of Engagement (The Serrano Legacy, #5)
  • When the Devil Dances (Posleen War, #3)
  • When the Tide Rises (Lt. Leary, #6)
  • Intrepid (Kris Longknife, #6)
David Mark Weber is an American science fiction and fantasy author. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1952.

Many of his stories have military, particularly naval, themes, and fit into the military science fiction genre. He frequently places female leading characters in what have been traditionally male roles.

One of his most popular and enduring characters is Honor Harrington whose alliterated name

Honor Harrington (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington, #1)
  • The Honor of the Queen (Honor Harrington, #2)
  • Field of Dishonor (Honor Harrington, #4)
  • Flag in Exile (Honor Harrington, #5)
  • Honor Among Enemies (Honor Harrington, #6)
  • In Enemy Hands (Honor Harrington, #7)
  • Echoes of Honor (Honor Harrington, #8)
  • Ashes of Victory (Honor Harrington, #9)
  • War of Honor (Honor Harrington, #10)
  • At All Costs (Honor Harrington, #11)
“The list went on and on, and there'd been a time when she'd craved those medals, those confirmations of achievement and ability. She was proud of them even now, but they were no longer the stuff of dreams. She'd learned too much about what those bits of ribbon cost.” 2 likes