Start by marking “The Honor of the Queen (Honor Harrington, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Honor of the Queen (Honor Harrington, #2)

The Honor of the Queen

(Honor Harrington #2)

It's hard to give peace a chance when the other side regards war as a prelude to conquest. That's why Manticore needs allies against Haven, and planet Grayson is placed to make a good ally. But the Foreign Office overlooked a cultural difference when they sent Honor Harrington to carry the flag.
Published February 27th 2001 by Baen Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Honor of the Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Honor of the Queen

Mike (the Paladin)
First let me congratulate David Weber. I don't know what his own religious convictions (if any) are but he's done something (for me) very welcome here. He's written a book about a civilization of religious fanatics without leaving the feeling that anyone who is religious or holds religious convictions is either crazy or dangerous. That's more rare than you might might realize if it doesn't effect you. I'm a Christian and in spite of the fact that it's hard to remember the last big Baptist bombin ...more
Bradley
Jun 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I am a victim of having already read some really great MilSF, and so many of them have had vibrant characters and an outrageous hat-trick narrow escapes.

What does this mean for this particular novel?

Well, unfortunately, the characterizations were NOT as good as the setup in the first Honor book. It seemed rather cardboard-cutout, actually. So I have to rely mostly on good worldbuilding and battles to carry me through this particular novel. It's not a dealbreaker, but it does lessen my enjoyment
Nate
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
DISCLAIMER: I originally read this book around November of last year in an utterly narcotized state after getting all four of my wretchedly impacted wisdom teeth cut out. In short, reading David Weber's books while fucked up is not a good idea--they're full of technical detail, worldbuilding, intrigue, and feature a pretty decently sized cast of characters. This lead to a somewhat underwhelming experience and while I had fun with it, I only gave it three stars in my original review. Well, unsurp ...more
Susanna - Censored by GoodReads
It's odd seeing the romance trope "she's gorgeous but totally thinks she's plain, but all the men can't stop looking at her" pop up in a space opera.
Andy
Nov 09, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5 stars rounded down to 3 as was a tough start & tbh nearly a series ending one....

As to why?

First the minus 1.5pts - Yes the backdrop to the story is required, which are around the first 100pgs or so but IT IS hard work getting through it & i nearly gave up. Ive also learnt to snooze read the techno-babble too after the first book’s Hypoenginechargetransformthingmabob so that’s no longer such a negative for me but it does go a little "overboard" at times & combined with a slow sta
Jeffrey Jelmeland
I started this series upon the recommendation of a friend, and I can't thank that friend enough for that recommendation. This series definitely establishes a standard for military space-opera, and unlike so many others that I have read in the past this series really does feel like something other than military fiction.

This book took some work for me to get into, but at some point I found myself simply devouring the pages, unable to read fast enough to match my hunger for more. And the last 40+
Kat  Hooper
Sep 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Though she’s a woman and not a diplomat, Honor Harrington, the highly competent and well-respected Manticoran Navy Captain, has been assigned a diplomatic mission to a planet run by a patriarchal religious cult. Why would the Manticorans send an aggressive woman with no diplomatic skills on this type of mission? There’s only one possible reason: to try to make The Honor of the Queen more interesting...

I wasn’t thrilled with On Basilisk Station, the first b
Mr. Matt
Dec 22, 2013 rated it liked it
The Honor of the Queen follows the story of Harrington in her new command, the newly commissioned RMN light cruiser, Fearless. And it offers more of the same. This is good and bad.

First the good. The action is good - no great. The story revolves around a astro-political power struggle between Manticore (the good guys) and Haven (the bad guys). Both are backing client states in an otherwise insignificant star system. The rival powers are clearly positioning for a conflict and the system in quest
Brittany
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sciencefiction
More engaging military space adventure fluff. This time, though, there's the added interest of some really thought-provoking ideas. It concerns a delegation to a planet/culture with a repressive attitude toward women. A lot of the book is a thought-experiment about the best, most respectful, most moral way to deal with such a culture (and whether respect and morality come into conflict at some point.)

Very interesting, with a twist I wasn't expecting for a female heroine. More highly recommended
Feb 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again, I didn't like this quite as well listening to it as reading it. There weren't as many data dumps, but Honor's insistence on taking responsibility for things outside of her control got old, something I could skim through in paper format.

Johnson did a better job with the voices, although again her accents struck me as strange as did her insistence on mispronouncing some common words. She did a good job pitching her tone to fit the excitement level.

It was a fun romp with Honor shining again.
Tina
Mar 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is the second book on the Honor Harrington series.

After the events from Basilisk Station, the Manticorans realize that war with the Peeps (The People's Republic if Haven) is an inevitability. They decided to seek a strategic alliance. The queen sends a envoy of ships and diplomats to the small planet Grayson to seek their alliance and to help them out with a problem they are having with a sister planet of their own. Honor and her crew are along for the ride.

There is a slight problem. Grayso
Niall Teasdale
It's probably a little over 2 stars, but while this book had a big finish, it had an annoying lack of satisfaction before you get there.

This is the second Honor Harrington book and it has some really good bits to it, but more than half of it is not about the lead character. In the first book, there's a lot of frittering over her crew's dislike of her until she works through it and, aside from her showing she knows her stuff, nothing happens. In this one you get plenty of nothing happening, and q
James
A little darker in places than the previous book, On Basilisk Station , this book touches on religious (in)tolerance, sexual discrimination and violence as well as the different moral lines in the sand that individuals and groups will set themselves in an ongoing war. Weber handles the topics well, each group manages to get represented across most of the human spectrum – some good people, some not so good people, some downright fucking nasty people and some people who need a trigger event of so ...more
Enzo
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David Weber again excels in "The Honor of the Queen" were Captain Honor again goes out against all odds to try to save the day. This is part of a great series. Yes, its the second of the line, and its a great read. As SciFi writers go Weber is a favorite because he gives us detail. Names of instruments and descriptions of future technology are a big hit. The Honor books have technology to spare and delight the reader. Captain Honor Harrington is really a remarkable character. One that envisions ...more
Sandi
Oct 21, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, 2011, sci-fi
There is no way in heck anyone will convince me to continue with this series. It's boring beyond belief. The audiobook narrator is good, so I will look for more of her work. However, I won't be reading any of David Weber's books anytime soon. The only reason I gave this two stars is that there were a few good scenes in it. It's too bad they were so short and so spread out.
William
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A great continuation of the "Honor-verse" series. Love the main characters, and (again) these books have SUPERB space battles - wonderfully technical and very gung-ho, a true homage to the Horatio Hornblower tradition.

I will be reading the whole series, I presume!
L'ours inculte
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pour ce deuxième tome de la saga Honor Harrington, notre héroïne se voit prendre du galon, des responsabilités, et toutes les emmerdes qui vont avec. Après un premier tome explosif, David Weber nous emmène pour un second tour dans les coursives de ses grands vaisseaux militaires.

Honor est ici chargée d’accompagner une mission diplomatique du royaume de Manticore sur la planète Grayson. Ce caillou fort peu hospitalier se trouve entre La république de Havre et leur système et donc, comme Basilic,
Malapata
Me ha dejado sensaciones contradictoras. Por un lado, quitando el primer cuarto en el que tarda en arrancar, tiene mucho ritmo y se lee de un tirón. Pero cuando te fijas en el subtexto de la historia hay varias cosas que me chirrían.

La principal es la glorificación de lo militar. Sí, ya sé que es un libro de ficción militar, pero es que los personajes militares son, desde el almirante hasta el último marine, íntegros y valientes, mientras que los escasos civiles son cobardes que no ven más allá
Frank
May 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Three years after book 1 (On Basilisk Station), Captain Harrington returns to the Star Kingdom in order to support a diplomatic mission to the sexist patriarchal society of the planet Grayson. With a looming war with Haven, Manticore is looking to form an alliance with Grayson.
Grayson is not thrilled that a woman, Harrington, as well as, another female Captain, Truman have such an important position in the Mantcore Navy.
These are new challenges that Harrington is not ready for, and thus commit
S. J.
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of SciFi, David Weber, great female heroines, and fans of the series
Recommended to S. by: My Husband

* Insightfulness - 10
* Ease of Reading - 9
* Photos/Illustrations - NA
Final Score: 66/70 = 94%

*WARNING: In addition to the series' usual battle sequences and somewhat graphic death scenes, there are some terrible events that take place in this book. While the author handles them with care, they are not for young teens and older readers should be aware of what they are ge
Ed [Redacted]
May 20, 2011 rated it liked it
This was my first foray into the Honor Harrington series. I got this one instead of the first in the series (On Basilisk Station) because it was the one available to me more easily.

HOTQ is a book about a young Captain in the employ of the navy of the "Star Kingdom of Manticore" (SKM). Manticore is ruled by a queen and seems to be set up in a more or less standard constitutional monarchy. (Why is it that the more libertarian writers like Niven, Weber, Pournelle and frankly the vast majority of B
Xabi1990
El titulo comienza siendo un juego de palabras, bastante malo, donde el nombre de la protagonista, Honor Harrington, se mezcla con que esta “pertenece” a su reina del imperio Manticoriano.

Más cosas. Es el segundo de la saga de Honor Harrington. Al primero le puse 7,5/10 (debía estar generoso ese día). A este segundo 6/10, y gracias. ¿Por qué? Pues porque el argumento es previsible, los personajes planitos y ni tan siquiera la acción continua a base de batallitas espaciales entre naves (o a pisto
Jan 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: military-sci-fi
This was a good follow-up to the wonderful 1st book in the Honor Harrington series. It did suffer a bit from the sophomore slump. The book was more predictable than its predecessor. It contained quite a bit more language (if that bothers you) but not enough to seem unjustified in a military sci-fi setting. Ironically, it wasn't the military people doing the cussing, it was the religious people.

Although the bad guys in this book were religious people, it didn't seem to be centered around religion
Sep 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
28Aug2011: Re-read for September in Beyond Reality group. An excellent second book to the series. The universe grows & we find out more about Honor. Excellent fights, not just with ships.

2008: No review, but I rated it with 4 stars.
Dan
I am so glad that I discovered this series walking past the best sellers section of a Stop and Shop about 2 decades ago.
Joe
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-owned
I really enjoyed On Basilisk Station, the first book in the Honor Harrington series, and the second book did not disappoint. It had all of the stuff that made the first book so amazingly awesome, plus tons more action and political intrigue.

The dynamics in The Honor of the Queen were a bit different, in that Honor has definitely proved herself by now and is no longer the underdog freshman starship commander in the armpit of the galaxy. This time, she’s been given a small fleet, and assigned to a
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well. This is the book I wanted when I read On Basilisk Station.

For starters; the characters felt more real in general than in the previous novel. The enemy captain, for instance, could feasibly be seen as Harrington’s counterpart in Haven rather than just filling a part and he was given a lot more to do, which was in his favor. Wolcott, for how little ‘screen-time’ she got, still managed to be significant enough that I remember her name after being done with the book.

One thing I particularly li
Lindsay
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
As I am still new to the sci-fi genre, the first book in this series was difficult for me to get into. However, starting this second book, I am glad I continued to pursue the series.

This book was intriguing, eye-opening, and empowering. Captain Harrington, renowned military personnel of the Queen’s navy, is fantastic. She is strong, independent, skilled, and tough as nails. But when she comes to the planet Grayson, she is faced with hatred simply because she is a woman. The patriarchal society r
Laurence
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
It's a decent series so far, though I do find the plot a bit disjointed at times. I also don't really know what the stakes are, especially. Ships get damaged in space combat (and take a beating) but hold together, whereas others explode. I don't understand the composition of the fleet at a macro level or the ships capabilities at a more micro level. Little things like this mean that problems are presented but their severity often seems to be unknown, making things unclear.

I would also like a few
Steve
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Five stars if only for the simple fact that I couldn't put this down. I was a little disappointed by what length of time had elapsed from the first book, but the action very quickly picked up, and I found myself embroiled in the politics of Manticore. The climax really did sneak up on me, and it wasn't until at least six pages in that I realised that it must be. The resolution felt a tiny bit stilted to me, but I'm fascinated by this series, and very curious where it's going.
  • Gust Front (Posleen War, #2)
  • Lt. Leary, Commanding (Lt. Leary, #2)
  • Defiant (Kris Longknife, #3)
  • Once a Hero (The Serrano Legacy, #4)
  • An Officer's Duty (Theirs Not to Reason Why, #2)
David Mark Weber is an American science fiction and fantasy author. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1952.

Many of his stories have military, particularly naval, themes, and fit into the military science fiction genre. He frequently places female leading characters in what have been traditionally male roles.

One of his most popular and enduring characters is Honor Harrington whose alliterated name

Honor Harrington (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington, #1)
  • The Short Victorious War (Honor Harrington, #3)
  • Field of Dishonor (Honor Harrington, #4)
  • Flag in Exile (Honor Harrington, #5)
  • Honor Among Enemies (Honor Harrington, #6)
  • In Enemy Hands (Honor Harrington, #7)
  • Echoes of Honor (Honor Harrington, #8)
  • Ashes of Victory (Honor Harrington, #9)
  • War of Honor (Honor Harrington, #10)
  • At All Costs (Honor Harrington, #11)
“There are two sides to every dialogue, but if you accept the other side's terms without demanding equal time for your own, then they control the debate and its outcome.” 9 likes
“The world’s best swordsman doesn’t fear the second best; he fears the worst swordsman, because he can’t predict what the idiot will do.” 5 likes