Start by marking “Dr. Seuss's Sleep Book” as Want to Read:
Dr. Seuss's Sleep Book

Dr. Seuss's Sleep Book

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  8,707 Ratings  ·  371 Reviews
Illus. in color. "Deliberately calculated to make its readers yawn. No one could resist those zillions of astonishing sleepyheads."-- "The New York Times."
Hardcover, First Edition, First Printing, 58 pages
Published July 24th 2012 by New York: Random House (first published August 1st 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Dr. Seuss's Sleep Book, please sign up.
Gabriel i read great i like to read allot

Alejandro
Apr 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-story, humor
Ironically... a sleeper book!

GOOD NIGHT, DR. SEUSS!

A yawn is quite catching, you see. Like a cough.

It just takes one yawn to start other yawns off.

I dare you to read this charming tale and not yawn!

It’s true! I yawned and I am not shamed to admit it!

Obviously that’s the very idea of the story, to help kids to sleep, and

…well…

...mmh…(yawn)…

Shelly
Jun 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Warning: This book should be read in bed! It's such a cute book, even though there's not really a point except to point out all the creatures sleeping, and implying the reader should be sleeping too! What I love about it is it's classic Dr. Seuss, and it's great! How in the world did this man not only draw these fabulous creatures, but the funny names and the story lines?

Anyone who thinks he is not the best thing since sliced dough
Needs to be run over by the Hoop-Soup-Snoop Group,
So I'm bother
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
A book about sleep - what a curious thing! After reading this book what dreams will it bring? (Sorry, I just couldn't resist).
Mariel
Jun 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I wish I was in this book.
Melki
Apr 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidstuff
I found this one to be a very dull read. Then again, maybe that was the idea all along. This is definitely not one of the man's best books.
Anna Kļaviņa
It's not good book to read at bedtime. Every time there was word "sleep" or made allusion of going to sleep, I was interrupted with: "I'm not going to sleep!" Kaito was extremely annoyed with this book and I was annoyed with tongue twisters.
Neda
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why, but I don't know how many times I yawned when reading this book?! :-O
Whatever it be, it's a good sleep book.. ;)
Amar Pai
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-books
Look I didn't like Dr. Seuss that much when I was a kid, and I don't like him that much as an adult, and I don't like reading this aloud to my 4-year old cos, like every Dr. Seuss book, it goes ON AND ON AND ON. I like the sound of Seuss's rhymes, he has a great sense of rhythm and cadence and all that, but jeez why do all his stories have to go on for so long? I don't think I've ever read a Dr. Seuss book that I didn't want to end 20 pages before it actually ended.

Maybe there will be some inter
Skylar Burris
Dec 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
If I have to read this book one more time, my head is going to explode. I give it five stars because my daughter dearly, dearly loves it.

You know what I like about Dr. Seuss? Sometimes it's not about "teaching" anything—it's just about enjoying a good, toe-tapping rhyme, and my child can't get enough of him. I don't mind when stories have a message, but sometimes the joy of the story is sacrificed for the sake of the message, and that's no way to learn love of reading. This is a largely meaningl
Scott Tappa
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My favorite Seuss book, by far.
Matthew
Now that my internet is back on and had a day to ponder about this book I am actually glad that I sticked to my guns and didn't change the rating for this book. I was conflicted whether to give it 4 or 5 but this is definitely 4 star material. For me when it comes to this book I didn't get that enthusiastic feeling when reading Dr. Seuss books and I believe its because I didn't actually care about the characters or the dialogue.

This bug called the Van Vleck starts to yawn and then it becomes con
Erin R
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is one of my all-time favorite picture books! I remember just studying the whimsical pictures for hours as a child, imagining myself living in the world Dr. Seuss created. This “sleep book” tells invites the reader (presumably a small child being read to in bed) to learn about how all of the mystical creatures in the “County of Keck” are preparing for their slumber. Dr. Seuss uses a very decodable style, with plenty of rhyming made-up phrases to accompany the many illustrations of yawning a ...more
Sharon
While this book may be read at any time of day, the book concludes by advising the reader to only read this book at night. Yet another classic by Dr. Seuss that reinforces the beloved tongue-twisters, repetitive words and made up phrases! I read this book to bed the other night and am not ashamed to admit. Dr. Seuss is simply the best.
Vi
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I never read this one as a kid and recently got it after reading Dr. Seuss's Sleep Softly Book to my boy about a thousand times (not complaining, as I love it!). He's almost 8 months old but that's not quite mature enough to have a sufficient attention span for this book. For now, I'm sticking to the Nursery Collection, but I got a good chuckle from reading The Sleep Book.
Shaina
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When read aloud to someone, or even to yourself, it works every time. ( At least for me)
Zzzzzs every time with this book of rhyme.
Aneesa
Sep 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Still the best Dr. Seuss book ever. Amazing sentences.
faitha
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
เปน sleep book ทีอานแลวงวงจริง 😂 *yawn* ...more
Asho
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite Dr. Seuss book. I have clear memories of my grandmother reading this to me before bed when I would spend the night at her house as a child. Eventually it must have made its way back to my house, because my mom recently found it there and gave it to me to read to my son. I hope that he'll come to love it as much as I did (and still do).
The pictures, in true Dr. Seuss fashion, are mesmerizing. They strike a balance between cute/cuddly and haunting/eerie. As I read this to my b
Debra
Dr. Seuss is always perfect and so is this book of sleepy time poems. Yes the book can be read as one continuos story but it is also a collection of stand alone poems. Dr. Seuss in his fanciful way always ,also, makes the pictures pleasing to children. This is a very good early reader book with new easy vocabulary introduced through out. Children could take turns learning to read the verses( poems ) separately and then reading them to the class.

A Jedd is in bed,
And the bed of the Jedd
Is the soft
Megan Compton
Feb 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry-book
I had never heard of this Dr. Seuss book before so naturally I had to read it to see how I liked it! Most of Dr. Seuss' books fall under the category of a poetry book, and The Sleep Book is no exception. The story begins with one small yawn that spreads from bedroom to bedroom and across the country until ninety-nine zillion, nine trillion and three Seussians are sound asleep. It is the perfect bedtime story/poem.

I really enjoyed this book. I found the words and illustrations to be very engagin
Glenn
Feb 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a book that was read to me when I was a child. Now that I have children of my own, I read it to them - well - at least I read it to my two year old almost every night.

I have fond memories of having this read to me and one of my siblings got it for me for a present a few years ago. I forgot how much it makes you yawn and want to go to sleep. Most of the time, my son is asleep by the time we are finished reading the book. Sometimes, not.
Mohammed Al-Garawi
Apr 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: luna-1st-1-12
Absolutely clever and cute.

I really want to read this to my kids before they go to sleep.
*sigh*
Julie
I've read this book at least 20 times, and I have never read it without crying at the end.
April
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, for-review, own
JJ
Sep 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Dr. Suess fans
A good book. I always liked the sleeping machine.
David Drent
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
snoozed like a baby after fiance read it to me.
 Linda (Miss Greedybooks)
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
When I was a nanny I would sit close to the crib and read this in a low voice, then getting more soft until I was whispering, he never made it to the end of the story.
Marts  (Thinker)
Jul 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
... an enjoyable childhood read, typical of all the Dr. Seuss books I've read...
Scout Collins
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-for-kids
Read this book to two kids I was babysitting. I really appreciated the cute, bedtime-appropriate story! Some children's books are unbearable but Dr. Seuss's fun rhymes, creative plots and interesting illustrations make even the oldest readers smile.
Dee
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I started yawning while reading this book from just looking at the yawning friends of Van Vleck's. They were yawning so wide you could look down their necks.

By the time I got to the moose and the goose juice I was wanting a drink, and that put me on the brink of screams. So...Im warning you, now! Never drink in your dreams.

So did the Sleep Book help me sleep? No, but it sure was a fun ride, that only Dr. Seuss could ever provide!
Seuss Lovers: Dr. Seuss's Sleep Book 1 2 Dec 06, 2012 06:34PM
  • Oh the Things You Can Do That Are Good for You!
  • The Very Clumsy Click Beetle
  • Snug House, Bug House (Bright & Early Books)
  • Snoozers: 7 Short Short Bedtime Stories for Lively Little Kids
  • That's Not My Dragon (Usborne Touchy Feely)
  • I Love You As Much...
  • The Nose Book
  • No Matter What
  • Choral Warm-ups from A-Z: Singing Dr. Seuss's ABC
  • Oh say can you say di-no-saur?
  • A Book of Sleep
  • Alexander, Who's Not (Do You Hear Me? I Mean It!) Going to Move
  • Trucks Board Book
  • "Stand Back," Said the Elephant, "I'm Going to Sneeze!"
  • It's Time to Sleep, My Love